What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

therianthrope
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Cemetery Man, Evil Dead

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by therianthrope » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:02 am

Sorry to be that guy but, many responses to this thread show that possibly close to half of people who think they're prepared or are preparing may in fact not be either of those things. They're quite possibly planning on being a metaphorical zombie, possibly without knowing it.
NWDub wrote:The stored fuel I have would be able to get me beyond the scope of most anyone, and there I would set up again. most likely on BLM land since there's so much of it here and nobody lives on it.
I think most BLM land has limits to camping duration, after a certain point you're trespassing and the gov't is justified in making you leave. What then?
woodsghost wrote:... I'd at least want to go away from population centers and live off the land. Which could get tricky, but tree house living could help.
Do you have land you own where you'd be allowed to build a tree-house?
Mikeyboy wrote:... at some point there may be too many zombies for me to handle, and I will be forced to leave to go somewhere more isolated.
Do you have a plan for that (BOL?) or are you becoming the very thing most of us are preparing for?
Neptune Glory wrote:At the moment we're not equipped to bug in. We'd take off asap and put distance between us and major cities.
Do you have a BOL, or are you planning on becoming the metaphorical zed this forum is meant to help people prepare for?
Barnabus wrote:Her brother, my sister and us hope to band together in a farm house setting somewhere.
Do you own a "farm house setting somewhere"? Or are you taking over someone else's property (highly illegal, highly against the rules of this forum)?
MacAttack wrote:Wing it.
I have to assume you're j/k, Mac.
drop bear wrote:Bug out. My decision is about fresh water. I would need to be somewhere secure and near that.

There is a quarry near a river that is out of the way and has some sturdy buildings and I do security patrols there so I can get the keys to the place.
Do you own that quarry, or are you planning on becoming a trespasser (illegal, can't discuss on this forum), whom the rightful owner or LEOs/military would be free to use rightful means to evict?

2 out of 3 states are more than 80% (more than 8 out of 10 are more than 50%) private land. Not trying to be a dick, but are all of you who are quoted above aware that you are likely describing yourselves as being the very metaphor most of us on here are planning to be ready for? You are quite likely zeds. You are not prepared, by definition, because if you don't have somewhere you can legally go and remain, someone else is legally justified to make you leave - or worse.

This reply is not meant to be an attack on the integrity of the posters above, it is an attempt to make them think a little bit farther along in their plan.

Nightmare Machine

Post by Nightmare Machine » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:18 am

Probably just stay where I'm at. Hard to come up with a better place to bug out to.
This city is afraid of me. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!", and I'll whisper "no."

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:41 am

therianthrope wrote:
MacAttack wrote:Wing it.
I have to assume you're j/k, Mac.

Actually no I am not.

I have set plans, A BIL, and a BOL,owned by me. Several alternate BOL's, owned by friends and relatives.
Several months of food and a water source or two.

But I am not going to ever make the mistake of thinking my plans are perfect and impervious. My BIL could be burned down by some insane Trashcan Man or a simple neighborhood house fire gone rampant.

Some gang banger gone all nutty could decide that since the cops are occupied he is going to drive a stolen truck though my house. Thus rendering it no longer a good BIL.

The meth heads just down the lane could get the nice idea that they need a few more things for their preps and get off a lucky hit and send me to the ground with a nice head injury out cold but alive. Thus in no condition to actually do all those things I was planning on doing this coming week. Like getting water and planting crops.

So unless you have the perfect plans and an impervious BIL you better plan on changing your plans on a regular basis for the rest of your life.

Its called colloquially 'Winging It'.

Or as the Marines like to say Adapt and Overcome.

Or as Clint Eastwood says "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.

I hope you have a little 'winging it' in your plans. Or you might just stand a slightly better chance or becoming a Zed than someone who has no plan.

therianthrope

Post by therianthrope » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:24 am

MacAttack wrote:I have set plans, A BIL, and a BOL,owned by me. Several alternate BOL's, owned by friends and relatives.

But I am not going to ever make the mistake of thinking my plans are perfect and impervious.
See but that's not winging it, at least not by my colloquiality. You have viable plans and viable contingency plans, that they are adaptable doesn't by a long shot leave your choices and actions to be made on the wing.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:13 am

therianthrope wrote:
MacAttack wrote:I have set plans, A BIL, and a BOL,owned by me. Several alternate BOL's, owned by friends and relatives.

But I am not going to ever make the mistake of thinking my plans are perfect and impervious.
See but that's not winging it, at least not by my colloquiality. You have viable plans and viable contingency plans, that they are adaptable doesn't by a long shot leave your choices and actions to be made on the wing.
I like the idea of having a ton of options and then just going with whichever best fits at the time. Winging it fits but doesn't.

Flex-Prepping maybe?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:52 pm

therianthrope wrote:
woodsghost wrote:... I'd at least want to go away from population centers and live off the land. Which could get tricky, but tree house living could help.
Do you have land you own where you'd be allowed to build a tree-house?
You make some good points, particularly about the legality of actions. I appreciate that. There are a couple things to consider.

1) if there is ROL, I likely don't need to leave my BIL. In many disaster scenarios, I don't need to head for the hills. I can head to my own place, or places owned by friends. ROL and even WROL is not quite what the OP was aiming for, I think. I could be wrong.

2) The OP asked what we would do in a zombie outbreak. This suggests two things: a) there is no law, therefor no laws on trespassing. However, there could be pissed property holders, which brings me to b) if there are literal, walking dead corpses, then a lot of former property owners are no longer owning property, and that land is free to live off of. If Farmer Fred and family are currently trying to eat your brains, I don't think they will mind if you stay in their house and shoot some random deer or rabbits.

3) I can, and have, slept in trees before. If the dead start walking, I'll be doing it again. If the dead are walking, I'll even build a treehouse on some piece of land nobody is claiming.

4) we might have an interesting discussion of property rights in an actual ZA or ZPAW. Aside from the corpsification of many previous property holders and the freeing up of their holdings, I suspect the nature of "ownership" will change, which is why I used the words "property holders" and not "property owners" above.

Owning land or holding title to land is a legal action controlled by law.

Controlling, holding, or possessing land is an act of force.

If you "own" or have legal title to more land than you can effectively control, do you really own it in a ZPAW? Many farmers where I grew up have multiple plots of land with non-contiguous borders (their borders don't touch). Meaning a map of their land would look like a bunch of islands in the ocean. In fact, they may not even be living on that land. They may be living in town and store their equipment on the land. Most of the time there is a home on the "home farm" and they just drive their equipment to their other pieces of land. So, do you really think they will be put out by someone walking through an untended, far away piece of land they hold title to while the dead walk the earth? I suspect not, though I could be wrong.

In a real ZA or ZPAW, I'll be avoiding any place that looks inhabited by the living, unless they seem friendly and then I'll approach in friendship.

Any place that does not look like it is inhabited by the living, I"ll examine as I see fit. If it turns out to actually be inhabited by the living, I'll leave without fuss.

5) It sounds like you are interested in a discussion of what property rights should or will look like in a lesser disaster. Like a solar flair. Which is a very relevant topic to discuss! Maybe there should be a thread on that?
Last edited by woodsghost on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Open grave

Post by Apathy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:52 pm

Tater Raider wrote:
Mikeyboy wrote:I'm betting there would be some serious upward mobility for those in Law Enforcement, the military, and in healthcare. You graduated medical school, great you are going to run the whole hospital. You were a cop, great you are going to be the Sherriff of this town. You were a Marine Sargent in Iraq, great your going to run the 2nd battalion now.
You're a farmer. You just graduated to... farmer. :lol:
Wrong. you just graduated to a gentleman land owner. Without supermarkets everyone will be looking for food. A farmer can just give those people jobs in exchange for food. Just so long as the farmer can protect his farm from the initial riots.
Liebe läßt sich suchen, finden,
Niemals lernen, oder lehren,
Wer da will die Flamm' entzünden
Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Apathy wrote:
Tater Raider wrote:
Mikeyboy wrote:I'm betting there would be some serious upward mobility for those in Law Enforcement, the military, and in healthcare. You graduated medical school, great you are going to run the whole hospital. You were a cop, great you are going to be the Sherriff of this town. You were a Marine Sargent in Iraq, great your going to run the 2nd battalion now.
You're a farmer. You just graduated to... farmer. :lol:
Wrong. you just graduated to a gentleman land owner. Without supermarkets everyone will be looking for food. A farmer can just give those people jobs in exchange for food. Just so long as the farmer can protect his farm from the initial riots.
Depending on where you're at that may not be an option.

Most of America is monocrop, like that picture (a pretty typical Iowa corn field, seed corn, not meant for human consumption - it's animal feed, corn oil, corn syrup, and gasahol). If disaster hits you are looking at anywhere from 12-18 months before you have a variety of crops in a field in a self-sustaining manner. In the meantime, the farmer has, as often as not, a garden. Maybe they also have livestock, but usually not. Unless they are ranchers in which case they usually aren't growing anything outside the garden.

If the system collapses then so does the support structure providing the fertilizer for the overworked land. Which is why, "This country boy/girl will survive," means both diddly and squat to me.

Unless you're already doing it, you aren't doing it.

Also, gentleman land owner is just another way of saying a farmer that's lazy or doesn't know what the hell he is doing. :mrgreen:

therianthrope

Post by therianthrope » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:18 pm

woodsghost wrote: 2) The OP asked what we would do in a zombie outbreak. This suggests two things: a) there is no law, therefor no laws on trespassing. However, there could be pissed property holders, which brings me to b) if there are literal, walking dead corpses, then a lot of former property owners are no longer owning property, and that land is free to live off of. If Farmer Fred and family are currently trying to eat your brains, I don't think they will mind if you stay in their house and shoot some random deer or rabbits.
Maybe I'm wrong (if so, disregard me if you like), but last I knew, even the premise of the cessation of the rule of law was not an excuse to talk about doing illegal things, like occupying or utilizing the property of others (even if they're dead).

There are multiple reasons for this, top among them (from the stand-point of the purpose of this forum) is that you can't depend on something you haven't prepared for yourself, so you are by definition not prepared if that's your plan. Not allowing people to talk about raiding - and yeah, even just poking around someone else's property to see if they're still alive is still raiding - as a viable option (even as a complete fiction) hopefully prevents people from believing it's a viable option (even in a complete fiction) which hopefully translates fully into their actual preps (which might then translate into their complete fiction? :D).

As I don't think I've posted it yet, if the dead started rising, I live near a city-center and I'm bugging-in - lying low as long as possible. Even if I somehow got notification of the dead walking before most everyone else, there's many miles of interstate and/or streets between me and open country and I doubt I'd be able to get out before grid-lock and chaos ensue. Presently I only have stores for about 2 weeks (as I'm not prepping for anything massive, yet), so after that I'd be heading for my parents with our BO-gear, starting out by car, then moving to bike if roads were/became impassable. It's a 5+ hr drive and with my vehicle I can get there on one tank of gas, I've got some 20 L panniers to slap on my 'cross bike to supplement the BOB, then it's cross-the-fingers and pedal.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:23 am

therianthrope wrote: Maybe I'm wrong (if so, disregard me if you like), but last I knew, even the premise of the cessation of the rule of law was not an excuse to talk about doing illegal things, like occupying or utilizing the property of others (even if they're dead).
Good point. I'm not completely on board with the idea of occupying an abandoned structure whose owners are dead as being illegal. But there might be some finer points of trespassing I'm not aware of. I might be confusing "laws enforced" with "laws on the books." Or the other way around. However that works. :)
therianthrope wrote: There are multiple reasons for this, top among them (from the stand-point of the purpose of this forum) is that you can't depend on something you haven't prepared for yourself, so you are by definition not prepared if that's your plan. Not allowing people to talk about raiding - and yeah, even just poking around someone else's property to see if they're still alive is still raiding - as a viable option (even as a complete fiction) hopefully prevents people from believing it's a viable option (even in a complete fiction) which hopefully translates fully into their actual preps (which might then translate into their complete fiction? :D).
I'm not quite following you here, but I think it's my fault.

I think that "be flexible" IS a plan. To survive you keep an open/flexible mind. Those who fail to adapt enough, quickly enough, get run over by natural selection. Whether there is ROL or WROL, you need to be flexible and adaptable. Which does not mean "resort to crime" at the drop of a hat.

I think you are also saying "the law is the law, and ZS supports that no matter what." Which fair of them. I fail to see how land that is now owned by a deceased person is still that person's property when/if there is no will and no surviving heirs. I also fail to see how land owned by a defunct government (I am assuming total ZPAW for this statement) can still be said to be owned by that government. It is time to build a new country, or likely several new countries, at that point. And those new countries will likely draw up new records of land ownership. Especially if lots of former owners are dead and records of ownership are wiped out. Which I expect would happen in a ZPAW.

But if I'm breaking the forum rules, I'll gladly stop. I'm not looking to make the mod's lives difficult.
therianthrope wrote: It's a 5+ hr drive and with my vehicle I can get there on one tank of gas, I've got some 20 L panniers to slap on my 'cross bike to supplement the BOB, then it's cross-the-fingers and pedal.
I'm interested in how you plan to get to your BOL if something happens. Sure, if the grid gets locked up and then clears, you can drive and that is fine. If cars get left on the road and things do not clear, you plan to peddle. If you are 5 hr away, that is maybe (5 hr * 60 mph) 300 miles of distance. I don't bike much, but I'm guessing you can't cover that in a day or two. Which means camping. Where do you plan to camp? Where I"m from, you can't camp legally anywhere except private land, or specially designated areas in state or national parks (and then you have to register and pay fees). I suppose you could camp on the highway.

If there is something like a ZPAW or some other event that kills most movement via car, I'm going to be very reluctant to use highways to travel. I see them as big game trails. Tier One preditors set up on game trails and water holes. Which means I'll also be reluctant to travel along major waterways. I have places I want to be in the event of a ZPAW or other similar event.

I see you being in a similar boat. If I were you, I'd avoid going where predators lurk. But we all have to live with the choices we make.

It is also possible you have thought this through the way I have, but you are very aware and respectful of the forum rules. Which is something I can respect. Maybe I flirt with the boundaries on a few of those too much?

All this :words: brings me to the final point. You said something along the lines of "if y'all don't have a plan for this, you are basically the people we are preparing for: zombies." I know this is a paraphrase, not a quote. I guess I take issue with that point. I think I have lots and lots of plans, all of which are super flexible because I don't know what an actual apocalypse will be like. I have not lived through one. I don't see my plans amounting to "being a zombie" or "being a mutant-ninja-biker-raider." I see my plans as allowing me to survive while still being a good man and treating others with dignity and respect. So maybe I'm taking this too personally. I don't know.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:59 am

It would have to be bug in for me. Since I live right outside of DC (inside the beltway) I imagine I would be better off letting the hordes of zombies mosey on past me. And since we just moved into a new apartment on the second floor (used to be ground level), this would be much easier. There are water sources not far from me so that would be an easy dawn run like Tater described. Just need to get my food preps up a bit more.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:20 am

"I think you are also saying "the law is the law, and ZS supports that no matter what." Which fair of them. I fail to see how land that is now owned by a deceased person is still that person's property when/if there is no will and no surviving heirs. I also fail to see how land owned by a defunct government (I am assuming total ZPAW for this statement) can still be said to be owned by that government. It is time to build a new country, or likely several new countries, at that point. And those new countries will likely draw up new records of land ownership. Especially if lots of former owners are dead and records of ownership are wiped out. Which I expect would happen in a ZPAW. "

First you can not tell if there are no heirs to the land.
They could very well be on the way. And they could very well be angry and armed. Are you willing and able to pay them back for any damage you have done and or food eaten and equipment or supplies used?
Do you want to be accused of killing their relatives or stealing their stuff?
If your not willing or able to pay them what they ask for then do not play in their yard or eat their candy bars.

All records will not be lost. I have copies of the deeds to the lands I own. So does the local county and the state has my tax records for said property. Both digital and hard copy.
Any and all of which could be used in the new government that is forming to enforce my possession of said lands.
Even if I am personally dead my closest relatives could use the same evidence to take ownership. That means a third cousin twice removed could make the claim and has a better chance than you of taking ownership. Even if my relatives take a few years to make the claim.

You stand a far better chance of making a homestead on state lands than taking over some other persons land. At least then you could make the claim that you occupied and improved the property thus bettering society.

Almost all governments that have risen from a fallen one have acknowledged at least in some degree private land owners rights. Unless a dictator takes over and takes all the land in the name of the people.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:46 am

Great points Mac.

In a "Walking Dead" type scenario, where between 99% and 99.99% of humans are dead (figures I have pulled out of thin air), I"m comfortable taking the risk that family members are not going to show up soon. Or ever.

If only 80% of the world was dead, I'd be a lot more hesitant about living out of random buildings.

Then there is the act of seeking temporary refuge from zombies currently in the act of trying to eat you. At that point I would rather face an angry building owner and make restitution rather than face a horde of zombies and likely face the end of my days on this green earth.

You have backup copies of land and tax records. So I think you'll be in great shape Mac. I really don't know how many other people have that. I don't expect it is many. Also, I don't expect county and state records would survive a ZA. While some people might seek to maliciously destroy them, I expect the effects of time (possibly water or fire, too) will wreck most of those records if the ZA last much beyond 12 months.

Now, something like a solar flair or terrorist attack would likely wreck the electrical grid, and that would render all but paper hard copies useless. I think. But that then becomes a new thread titled "What would you do? Grid down edition"

Which actually sounds like a really good thread. I might start that if it does not exist.

EDIT:

I was poking around and saw this:

Responsibility and Accountability in a SHTF Situation
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60213

If the worry here is that I'll become a looter, I can assure you I will not. As is pointed out, in most realistic scenarios, ROL is not going away, and even if it was, I'm not real into predatory activity.

I have some issues and questions about what is feasible in a grid down situation, but I'll poke through the "Responsability" thread to see if they get answered, and if they don't, I'll post up a "grid down" thread if one does not exist. I feel the rest of this discussion is derailing the thread here. I"m happy to keep talking to folks via PM. :)

therianthrope

Post by therianthrope » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:23 am

woodsghost wrote: I'm interested in how you plan to get to your BOL if something happens. Sure, if the grid gets locked up and then clears, you can drive and that is fine. If cars get left on the road and things do not clear, you plan to peddle. If you are 5 hr away, that is maybe (5 hr * 60 mph) 300 miles of distance. I don't bike much, but I'm guessing you can't cover that in a day or two. Which means camping. Where do you plan to camp? Where I"m from, you can't camp legally anywhere except private land, or specially designated areas in state or national parks (and then you have to register and pay fees). I suppose you could camp on the highway.
Yeah, it's about 340 mi. There's a decent amount of public land such as parks and lakes and rivers between me and my BOL that I know allow camping, my wife and I could average close to 15 mph on our bikes and could probably maintain that for 6 - 8 hrs a day (never been on that long of a ride :P) if we can keep properly hydrated and fed, we could possibly do better than that as in general we'd be going down in elevation. But anyway, as long as I'm on those public lands when camping, and not overstaying state welcome, I should be good?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:52 am

therianthrope wrote: Yeah, it's about 340 mi. There's a decent amount of public land such as parks and lakes and rivers between me and my BOL, my wife and I could average close to 15 mph on our bikes and could probably maintain that for 6 - 8 hrs a day (never been on that long of a ride :P) if we can keep properly hydrated and fed, we could possibly do better than that as in general we'd be going down in elevation. But anyway, as long as I'm on those public lands when camping, and not overstaying state welcome, I should be good?
You might! I don't know your local laws. To be perfectly honest, I just realized I don't actually know my current local laws either. I know the laws where I grew up pretty well, and I just assumed they were similar here. Where I grew up there is public land, and private land opened to limited public use like hunting or fishing. Those areas are NOT open for camping. Even state parks are not open for camping unless you are in a designated camping spot and have registered and paid. If you get caught camping in some other part of the park, you get in trouble. A Katrina or grid down event could cause LEO to set aside some of those laws, but they are still laws.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:16 am

"Now, something like a solar flair or terrorist attack would likely wreck the electrical grid, and that would render all but paper hard copies useless. I think. But that then becomes a new thread titled "What would you do? Grid down edition"

I think you have the idea of an EMP event a little off actualities.

The power grid would shut off. Not all electronics would died in an instant.
The only electronics that would stand a high chance of death would be those plugged into the main grip. Utility power. Add in a surge protector the chance of survival goes up.

How many laptops do you see around you that are not plugged in at the moment?

I can access any hard drive just by pulling it out of its computer and jacking it into any surviving laptop. Security encoding is another thing. But very very few local municipalities actually encode all their data. Access to their system is normally all the security they need.

Due to safety measures already in place EMP stands very little chance of actually wiping out any real data. Wiki links maybe but I bet they have a backup also.

Planning to occupy anyone elses property is not a viable plan. Do yourself a favor and just buy a little piece of your own property. Its normally cheaper than buying a house. It doesn't have to have everything your looking for but the one thing it will always have is its someplace to call your own. Someplace no one can legally kick you off of. Someplace you can always spend the week camping out on just for fun.
And in some cases it could be a nice little tax write off. Or a small source of income.

Nightmare Machine

Post by Nightmare Machine » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:41 pm

Yes, and undeveloped land usually has very low property taxes compared to developed land.

I bought some undeveloped land, 10 acres, where you either have to walk in, use a horse or have some real 4WD capability to get to. It has water, a shitload of trees, and wild clover growing on it. The clover attracts game (I bought it mainly for the hunting), and due to its far-off location, the property taxes were $142 for last year.

Put an (official) well or a septic system on it, and taxes would scream upwards.

So, having a difficult to get to, undeveloped piece of land is a good idea. Plus it gives you a place to camp, practice wilderness skills, and scout at will.
This city is afraid of me. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!", and I'll whisper "no."

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:47 pm

My understanding from another thread here on the topic of solar flares is that they are unlikely to knock out electronics. They are capable of knocking out the electrical grid. Which, in effect, for me, is knocking out electronics. I may have misunderstood things though. Also, I understand people pick up solar chargers, and it is possible other solar panels could be rigged up to provide some electricity.

Also, I will buy my own land ASAP. That probably means 2 or 3 years from now. And there will probably be a house on it. Eventually, there should be a garden and some animals. Possibly solar panels :)

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:24 pm

On the EMP thing: Ask Ryder358 about what happens to nuclear power plants when the entire power grid goes down and can't get back online. It's very interesting and more than a bit alarming. It's a remote (in my lifetime), but real (on a long enough time line it's inevitable), risk.

Everything beyond that is open for debate IMO.

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:13 pm

NWDub wrote:I would bug in until I could not safely do so, and at that point (after the mass chaos has subsided) I would make my move during the night.
Probably I'm doing the same in my case because I have nothing with which to defend myself, motorized vehicles, which I did not, would still be useless due to the roads too narrow, the average density of existing population in Europe is greater than that existing in the USA also with less space available so essentially don't exist places that can be considered safe enough.

hillbilly1986

Post by hillbilly1986 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:36 pm

I'd have to say bugging in and gathering Intel is probably my best option. Without going into the specifics, I've got enough preps to last me and the fam about a month. My house sits almost at the end of an uphill culdisac in a gated community so generally I feel pretty secure there. I wouldn't want to make a hasty decision to leave and figure out where I'm going while en route if it were based just on the fact that there are zombies and nothing else. The main factor would be what type of zombies we are dealing with (I.e. "night of the living dead" slow shamblers, or "dawn of the dead" remake runners). If hypothetically there were no longer any governing entities and therefore no laws to be broken, and I felt as though my home weren't enough to keep my family safe I think the first place I'd go is work. I work in a control tower at a small airport, there's a generator, food, water, communication, maps and charts for planning the next best location to bug out to, a means to escape ( if you know how to fly...I do), and the whole airport is surrounded by a large barbedwire fence ( the fence around the tower is razor wire). I wouldn't stay long term, just long enough to regroup and plan the next part of the journey.
The more you know, the less you need.

Mack63
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, Dead Snow; Red vs Dead, TWD, Z Nation

Post by Mack63 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:02 pm

I would bug in at first, but would first have to get home if at work.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:07 pm

I am not a rich man but I do have a useful set of skills. I have several firearms a life straw and some canned chilli. I have watched the movie Goonies several times and can perform, at will, a decent Scottish accent. When these powers combine I am unstoppable. I shall live long and prosper. Let the zombies come!
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:23 pm

The Twizzler wrote:I am not a rich man but I do have a useful set of skills.

Return to “What Would You Do?”