Why Bear Grylls sucks.

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mikeyboy

Re: Why Bear Grylls sucks.

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:28 pm

BigDaddyTX wrote:I like, aesthetically at least, a lot of the BG gear. I want to get one of Les Stroud's knives, but they don't really do much for me that a firesteel tied to my RC-4 wouldn't do. I'll still end up with one though.
What drives me insane is the only reason why I will always pass on the Gerber LMF II is the stupid serration and the glass breaking point at the end of the pommel. Every year people would ask for a no serration version and Gerber would ignore them. Then Gerber came out with the Bear Grylls with the same serrations. People complained and Gerber came out with a fine edge version, then a new knife and completely dropped the serration. The Newer Bear Grylls knife has a full fine edge blade, the fire steel and sharpener in the sheath, and the hammerhead pommel, would make a great camping knife.

The only problem is ...Its Orange and Black, made in China not the USA, and has Bear Grylls name all over it.

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:14 pm

I'm not sure why he gets all the hate, but I'll go ahead and float my own hypothesis. A lot of people assume that since Bear Grylls had a survival show around the same time Les Stroud had a survival show, then Bear's show was supposed to be a 1 for 1 corollary to Survivorman. It wasn't.

Survivorman was supposed to be a documentary style, educational show about one guy living hard on his own for one week and doing so (more or less) without any support.
Man vs. Wild was a show about Bear Grylls going into the wilderness with a full camera crew and a support team and doing some crazy (and hopefully entertaining) things. It is apples and oranges. I'm not sure why people insist on comparing the shows. One was educational, the other was entertaining.

Personally, I found Survivorman boring as Hell because it was basically just Les Stroud out in the wilderness suffering and telling you how much it sucks. While I don't doubt him, I also didn't find it to be particularly compelling TV. Especially since the lack of a camera crew made it really limited in terms of how Stroud could record his activities.

By contrast, since Grylls had a camera crew they were able to make a show that celebrated the outdoors and made it fun to watch. I don't think anyone will seriously dispute that Bear Grylls took a lot of foolish risks in making his show. But I also don't think anyone made the mistake of thinking they were supposed to seek out those situations and take the same risks.

I also don't get why people engage in this fallacy: "Bear Grylls once stayed in a hotel. Therefore he is incapable of using the survival skills he demonstrates on camera." One does not logically follow the other. If I possessed the skills Bear Grylls has, I still would prefer to sleep in a warm bed if I had the choice. *shrug*.

True, he did a lot of risky and silly things on his show--but it got pretty good ratings for a while. I'm not a survival expert, but I suspect Bear Grylls could actually survive in the wilderness better than the average forum user. I'm quite certain he could survive better than I. The guy is in pretty good shape, he's lean, fit, he was in British Special Forces for a year or so, he recovered from a serious injury through hard work and perseverence and he was the youngest Englishman to climb Mount Everest. I say those are laudable accomplishments. I wouldn't even *try* to climb Mount Everest because it is extremely dangerous and because I lack many of the vital skills to do so.

This reminds me of an old Eastern parable that I will crudely paraphrase. Basically it involves a Master and a Student. The Master draws a line in the dirt. He then asks the Student how to make the line shorter. The Student replies with a variety of ideas, which were largely variations on a theme, such as cutting the line, erasing part of it and so forth. The Master just listens and when the Student falls silent--having exhausted all of his ideas, the Master then drew a second--longer--line in the dirt near the first line. He then asked the Student, "Now, how does the first line look?"

To which the Student replied, "Shorter."

I believe this is a good lesson by which to live. Instead of trying to cut or erase Bear Grylls' line, why not go out and try to lengthen one's own?

Besides, that show was cancelled several years ago, wasn't it? Wouldn't it be more productive to focus on how to do things right rather than criticize a cancelled TV show?
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:25 pm

1 If you can not lead be careful of who you follow.
2 Anything on tv (News included) is all about the money. who makes it and who is dumb enough to buy (in to) the shit
3 Those who control perception controls reality.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:32 pm

buck85 wrote:3 Those who control perception controls reality.
Wrong. The problem is that too many adults don't know the *difference* between perception and reality. Controlling perception is a big deal, but not to the same extent that controlling reality would be.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

Manimal2878
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Manimal2878 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Kelvar wrote: A lot of people assume that since Bear Grylls had a survival show around the same time Les Stroud had a survival show, then Bear's show was supposed to be a 1 for 1 corollary to Survivorman. It wasn't.

... I'm not sure why people insist on comparing the shows. ...

I think the reason why people insist on comparing the shows is that the early marketing of the show pretty much said they were a 1 for 1; Bear does the same thing as Les only with a camera crew so it's not as boring. I remember the original opening for Man vs Wild stated he was on his own with no help from the crew, etc., only later after people started complaining they added language to say that man vs wild was more of a dramatization of survival.

Black November

Post by Black November » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:00 pm

.....because he named his children Huckleberry and Marmaduke.

Mainstream media is nothing more than tool used by the elite to subliminally dumb down and control society. Everything you see, including news, sitcoms, documentaries, and game shows, are bias forms of suggestive mental manipulation. It is all fake, and should be taken with a grain of salt for entertainment purpose only.

However, in his defense, I bet that Bear has spent more time outdoors than most of the people on this forum. Many people are quick to criticize from the comforts of their arm chair. :)

Just live you own life and stop worrying about the lives of people on TV.
"I guess you broke into the wrong goddamn rec room, didn't you" -Burt- Tremors
WINTERGEDDON: IX, X, XI, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII
SUMMERGEDDON: IX, X, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI
SUMMER BUG OUT: XIII

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:54 pm

The guy's job is to demonstrate survival skills on tv, and make it exciting enough that people would keep watching and maybe learn a few things along the way. Period. . Ditto Les. Ditto Mykle and Ruth, Cody, Dave, and Joe, and ditto Ray.

I have to agree with Kevlar, I don't get the hate or the comparisons. They've all got their own personalities and/or couple dynamic, so I understand having a preference but, boy, Bear takes a lot of flack. The criticism always seems to come down to the hotel, the stunts and the piss, but I seldom hear any criticism of his actual survival skills. They all have safety crews, even Les... Ruth and Mykle did the piss thing too and nobody gives them flack.... Joe got flack for drinking piss but he's the new kid on the block and trying to replace Dave... who sliced his own arm open on purpose... Cody lit gun powder in it... twice... Les did drugs.... the list goes on, but you get the point, I hope. I guess the difference is that they say "I'd never recommend this" and then go ahead and do the stupid thing anyway?

Full disclosure: I enjoy the shows, as entertainment that's centered around stuff I like, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. Of the others, yes, minus Joe, who I haven't warmed up to at all. That said, Bear's book "Living Wild" is quite good IMO, and, though I hate the haters when I take it out, I really like the knife. (By THE knife, I mean his ultimate survival knife.) I've got the fine edge version. I liked it much better than Les's knife when I tested them out. I really didn't want to like Bear's when I walked in. I wanted to like Les's but I just didn't. In fact, I didn't like it at all. The truth is that the BGUSK was the one I liked the best of all the fixed blades I tested that fit my price range. The more I use it, the more I like it too.
Last edited by bacpacjac on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Gothboy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the zombie movies EVER.

Post by Gothboy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:27 pm

teotwaki wrote:I am mainly jealous that Bear is now filthy rich, better looking, famous and somewhat arrogantly satisfied with himself.
I agree with you. He's a survivalist. Lol. Sounds like he learned how to survive AND come out ahead! Rich sounds much better than surviving! :)
Braxton wrote: This guy seems to be able to get it done with much less than three inches.

Nutpantz

Post by Nutpantz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 pm

teotwaki wrote:I am mainly jealous that Bear is now filthy rich, better looking, famous and somewhat arrogantly satisfied with himself.
Really
You think Gerber posts that much money to slap his name on products?
Its not like discovery pays much for an episode either...
But then maybe you have a different measuring stick for declaring filthy rich.
Jealous? Why? You too can do a show on discovery or some other network if you are willing to act like a jackass...even an outdoor jackass with film crew, scripts and makeup should be doable for under 30 grand an episode..
Equality can only exist between equals.
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:06 pm

I can't really stand Man vs Wild (the cocy attitude, dangerous crap hepulls), but I really like the new show. It's what Surivor should have been...real tests of ingenuity/strength, a few survival tips shown here and there, tests of mental fortitude...better than the bachelorette! Best part...Bears not on it that much!!! While I prefer, and miss, the humour and real skills Dave and Cody showed, this is the best thing on TV right now.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Nutpantz wrote:
Really
You think Gerber posts that much money to slap his name on products?
Its not like discovery pays much for an episode either...
But then maybe you have a different measuring stick for declaring filthy rich.
Jealous? Why? You too can do a show on discovery or some other network if you are willing to act like a jackass...even an outdoor jackass with film crew, scripts and makeup should be doable for under 30 grand an episode..
Yes, really. If you hate Grylls that much that now you want to attack me you should try getting at least some facts to throw at me. I've not cared much about the guy but now I've found out a bit more. I've climbed McKinley (Denali) and a few other peaks so any dude who has climbed Everest is more than okay in my book.

Net worth: $6 million (or much higher but more work than I care to bother with for a hater)
Was paid $72,000 per episode of Man Vs. Wild, about 68 episodes so a little shy of $5,000,000. Also still receives royalties from Discovery Channel
Endorsements with Degree antiperspirant, Dockers and Craghoppers clothing lines, Bushnell, and Coreban
Deals with Gerber/Fiskars (can't find figures but Fiskars notes that Gerber is what is driving their profit margins)
Owns a 20 acre private island off the coast of Wales

So I think my "measuring stick" is accurate.

Highly skilled British Army veteran (unlike most of the wanna-bees who hate him)

You should chill out. Go read my blog and see what sorts of adventures I go on before you think you are qualified to judge me or anyone else. :lol:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Nutpantz

Post by Nutpantz » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:13 pm

IWow...
If you think that is an attack..

Then I profusely apologize that someone on the planet may have a different view point than you.
And I also profusely apologize that those different viewpoints are a direct attack on you and your way of life.

I was wrong bear is the richest person on the planet and he is so great than I should get down on my knees to his greatness..

again I profusely apologize for my evil (from out of no place) personal attack on you and your way of life.

I will go right away and read your entire life history to ensure I don't personally attack you again...

Or should I just apologize some more.

(I feel fine judging anyone found to lie and falsify "demonstrations" on national tv while they make claims about how great they are, and how real it is. (not to suggest you have ever done that because you might think it's a personal attack on you when it is not)
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Kelvar » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Nutpantz wrote:IWow...
If you think that is an attack..

Then I profusely apologize that someone on the planet may have a different view point than you.
And I also profusely apologize that those different viewpoints are a direct attack on you and your way of life.

I was wrong bear is the richest person on the planet and he is so great than I should get down on my knees to his greatness..

again I profusely apologize for my evil (from out of no place) personal attack on you and your way of life.

I will go right away and read your entire life history to ensure I don't personally attack you again...

Or should I just apologize some more.

(I feel fine judging anyone found to lie and falsify "demonstrations" on national tv while they make claims about how great they are, and how real it is. (not to suggest you have ever done that because you might think it's a personal attack on you when it is not)
Nutpantz, nobody pissed in your cheerios, please dial it back. Nobody said BG deserved to be worshipped, teotwaki simply stated some facts (or what he says are facts--if he's wrong, cool, just show us). Everyone, feel free to continue the discussion, but I have found that the most compelling arguments do not rely on hyperbole.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Bear Grylls as a young lad getting ready to eat his Cheerios....

:mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:12 pm

Kelvar wrote:I have found that the most compelling arguments do not rely on hyperbole.
Yeah, but a Bear Grylls thread without hyperbole is like a bone-dry elephant turd. Yes, hyperbole is the stanky poo water that sustains the conversation. :P
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:03 pm

I just want to clarify, Bear Grylls was in the TA, which is basically a weekend club for men who -wish- they were in the army.

'After leaving school, Grylls briefly considered joining the Indian Army and hiked in the Himalayan mountains of Sikkim. Grylls joined the Territorial Army and served as a reservist with the Artists Rifles 21 Regiment, 21 SAS(R), for three years until 1996.' <wiki>

Gettin real tired of the bullshit surrounding this guy - and just to reiterate, Ray Mears TEACHES/HAS TAUGHT the SAS.

Who's swinging the bigger dick?
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:09 pm

Fletch wrote:Gettin real tired of the bullshit surrounding this guy - and just to reiterate, Ray Mears TEACHES/HAS TAUGHT the SAS.

Who's swinging the bigger dick?
What's the color of the boathouse as Hereford???

ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

Nutpantz

Post by Nutpantz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:52 am

If anyone would use Piss in cereal as a survival tactic... Well it would be bear grylls.
But the discussion about if drinking your own urine is in any way beneficial has sailed,, I'm not privy to the benefits of urine in cereal so I can't comment other than..
Nope, I'm not doing it.

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:29 am

Nutpantz wrote:If anyone would use Piss in cereal as a survival tactic... Well it would be bear grylls.
But the discussion about if drinking your own urine is in any way beneficial has sailed,, I'm not privy to the benefits of urine in cereal so I can't comment other than..
Nope, I'm not doing it.
for $72,000, producer says drink piss im drinking piss hell for $ 72,000 Id drink your piss.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:06 am

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:24 am

Bear Grylls is the Johnny Knoxville of bushcraft and his show might as well be called "Jackass v. Wild." Don't try these stunts at home, kids.
Mostly not here anymore.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:49 am

Fletch wrote:I just want to clarify, Bear Grylls was in the TA, which is basically a weekend club for men who -wish- they were in the army.

'After leaving school, Grylls briefly considered joining the Indian Army and hiked in the Himalayan mountains of Sikkim. Grylls joined the Territorial Army and served as a reservist with the Artists Rifles 21 Regiment, 21 SAS(R), for three years until 1996.' <wiki>

Gettin real tired of the bullshit surrounding this guy - and just to reiterate, Ray Mears TEACHES/HAS TAUGHT the SAS. Who's swinging the bigger dick?
If a <Wiki> source is considered accurate then it is marvelously easy to refute the baseless and almost malicious opinion "..a weekend club for men who -wish- they were in the army"

Basically the British Territorial Army (TA) is the equivilent of the American National Guard who are nowhere near being a weekend club either.

<Wiki> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_Army_(United_Kingdom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) Excerpts:
  • In 2003, 9,500 reservists, the vast majority of them from the TA, were mobilised to take part in Operation Telic, the invasion of Iraq.
    Approximately 1,200 members of the TA have continued to deploy annually on tours of duty in Iraq, Operation Herrick in Afghanistan and elsewhere, normally on six month-long roulements
So being a professed Grylls hater, why not specifically go after the unit that Grylls was part of since "Artists" seems like such a pansy name? :lol: The history of the Artists Rifles 21 Regiment, 21 SAS(R) is quite interesting:

From Andrew Marr's 'The Making of Modern Britain'
on WW I

"Those who think of painters and writers as effete might be interested to know that no regiment, battalion or division of the British army suffered higher casualties then the Artist's Rifles, the 28th Battalion of the London Regiment, which specialized in training subalterns-so much so that they where known as the Suicide Club."

Modern History: http://www.eliteukforces.info/special-a ... -reserves/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SAS(R) Role And Operational History

The traditional role of 21 and 23 SAS is to carry out long range reconnaissance patrols for the regular UK Army (although these days the focus is on augmenting UKSF operations), freeing the regular SAS from recon tasks and onto direct actions. 23 SAS had previously been trained for combat search and rescue (CSAR) although it's now reported that role has been given to dedicated RAF Regiment units.

In the 1991 Gulf War, members of SAS(R) were used as battlefield casualty replacements for deployed 22 SAS units, namely landrover fighting columns from A and D Squadrons who were operating in the Iraqi Desert.

SAS Reservists deployed to the Balkans in the mid-90s. Members from 21 and 23 SAS formed a composite unit known as 'V Squadron' and were engaged in peace support operations.

In 2003, it was reported that 21 and 23 SAS had been operating in Afghanistan where they have carried out long range reconnaissance operations(1).

Another role that SAS reservists are thought to carry out is that of so-called 'hearts and minds' operations. On such missions the SAS give medical and other assistance to local forces and populations in a given theatre. In Helmand Province, Afghansitan, SAS(R) were reportdely deployed in a mentoring role, training and operating alongisde the Afghan National Police (ANP).

According to a April 2010 Telegraph report(2), SAS(R) first deployed to Afghansitan in 2003 where they helped to establish a communications network across the country. They also acted as liason between various local political factions, NATO and the new Afghan goverment. The same report mentions that SAS(R) were withdrawn from frontline duties in Afghanistan due to a lack of a clear role. Their mentoring role with the ANP was taken over by regular units. Some SAS Reservists were reported to be carrying out close protection duties for Foreign Office personnel in Kabul, Afghanistan's capital city.

The men of 21 and 23 SAS are typically issued with standard UK infantry weapons, ie the SA80, LMG, GPMG etc.

So attack Grylls' TV show all you can, I could care less. Cite episodes, methods, how beer-gut Mears would have done it or whatever. Explain exactly how big of a dick is needed to swing when climbing Everest if you actually know anything at all about how physically tough you have to be to do it. Perhaps do some research and try slamming Grylls actual military record? I reiterate: Actual Military Record and not personal attacks from his ex-military media rivals. Keep in mind that the selection process for his unit nets only 12 out of 150 applicants. Yeah, it is not 22 SAS but so what? Maybe he never fired a live round in combat or something shocking like that? Please cut out the baseless bullshit attacks that malign all of the British Armed Services and focus on some facts about what Grylls does wrong for survival tradecraft. I'm interested in that since I didn't waste time watching much TV and I don't play any computer games.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:55 am

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:Yeah, but a Bear Grylls thread without hyperbole is like a bone-dry elephant turd. Yes, hyperbole is the stanky poo water that sustains the conversation. :P
It is vaguely entertaining to "squeeze" the internet elephant stanky-poo masquerading as bona fide Grylls criticisms. These large wordy turds are truly shit but are equally baseless and devoid of water or actual facts. :v:

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:30 pm

It amazes me how passionately some people feel about a guy they don't even know. Have to say, I agree with the notion that haters tend to enlighten us more about themselves than they do about the object of their hate.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Return to “Zombie Training Films”