Repacking car GHB / Get to work bag

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mooha182

Repacking car GHB / Get to work bag

Post by Mooha182 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:30 am

It is the equivalent of my spring cleaning; I am going through a lot of my supplies and am needing to inspect / repack my car kit. It is a daily drive vehicle and due to where I drive, I cant have any weapons or ammo. The goal is 48hrs or so of emergency supplies. What else do you think I should have? (Note: I am the only occupant of the vehicle)

Contents:

Rubbermaid bin
USGI Wool Blanket
Low-gauge jumper cables
German-style road warning triangle
Fuel / liquid siphon
Reflective belt
13.8V DC air compressor w/ crappy air pressure gauge
Rock Auto air pressure gauge
Funnel
Spare auto fuses
Retired Columbia rain poncho
Trauma kit - I am a certified a EMT and I custom packed this with BLS supplies
Regular first aid kit with OTC's and normal first aid stuff
Car fire extinguisher
WetOne wipes
6 Liters of water
2 Clif bars & 3 marathon energy bars
1 MRE
Wrench set
Socket set
Screwdrivers
Tire slime
Spare bulbs (headlights needed)

Not pictured:

Buck knife with glass breaker that rides up front with me
Princeton tech diving flashlight
Spare tire, jack, and normal crap in the trunk
Washer Fluid - I left this in my car, I keep it separate since it's a liquid and the cheap containers tend to spill.
Work gloves - I took mine out and used them for my vehicle maintenance and they are in the laundry.
Sunscreen & Bug Spray - normal FAK has a single-use pouch of each
Cell phone charger - in car as a dedicated item
GPS & Charger - In car as a dedicated item
Last edited by Mooha182 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murph

Re: Repacking car GHB / Get to work bag

Post by Murph » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:47 am

I think some good additions would be:
Some sort of fire making supplies
Toilet paper
Trash Bags
Blanket or sleeping bag
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:40 am

Perhaps a blanket or sleeping bag, headlamp and extra washer fluid?

I know you've got a flashlight but auto repairs are much easier with both hands free and directional lighting.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

wardoggy

Post by wardoggy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:32 am

A crowbar and a small axe/saw.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:52 am

bacpacjac wrote:Perhaps a blanket or sleeping bag, headlamp and extra washer fluid?

I know you've got a flashlight but auto repairs are much easier with both hands free and directional lighting.
Do you have your car kit posted up here? I think I first saw it on another forum, but remembered it as being notably good.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Wow! That is for the compliment , Murph! A link to my current GHB is in my sig, but I don't think I've put my trunk kit up here. I posted it on ETS ages ago, but it's gone through a bunch of changes since then, and it pretty basic right now because we're back in baby land and I'm not doing my daily commute for the next six months. (The stroller takes up a huge chunk of the trunk. )

My husband is a minimalist and a non-prepper, so thinks I've got as much stuff as ever, just more spread out through the Jeep. :clownshoes: so, to maintain marital bliss, does the vehicle maintenance, I make sure he's got the basic survival stuff, and we drive, clean and organize our own vehicles. :wink:

There's an important different e between mooha and I - I've got two kids who I usual travel with, and he's flying solo. My vehicles often look like Toys R Us and a grocery store threw up in there. :oops:
Last edited by bacpacjac on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:20 pm

You made me curious, Murph, so I went looking. Here's the winter load out that I kept in my old 4 door 1990 Honda Civic from a couple of years ago. This is the kit that you and I talked about on ETS in 2011. Looking back at this list, it's no wonder that car had no get up and go. :shock:

in the glove box: -screw driver -3" fixed blade knife -flashlight + 2 sets batteries -lighter -kleenex + baby wipes -sunglasses -charger for cel phone -bag of trail mix -power bar -bubble gum -local map -pre-paid phone card -tire pressure gage -keychain led -compass -charger for the kid's DS

ashtray + console: -a ton of spare change -couple of batteries -bic -lip balm -rolaids -tylenol

under the seats: -seat belt cutter -2Ls water -extra hats + mitts + socks (wool) -long wool scarf -50 ft paracord -chemical warmers -baseball hats -1/2 of toys r us

in the trunk: -spare tire, cables -jack, tire iron -fix-a-flat -flares -work gloves -shop towels -tarp -50 ft paracord -collapsable shovel -golf umberella -sleeping bag -sm tent + fly -wool blanket -kitty litter -washer fluid + oil -air compressor -fire extinguisher -H20 proof flaslight -extra batties galore -coffee can, candles, bic -more water -extra coats -extra snowpants -work gloves -paper towel -extra sunglasses -fully loaded first aid kit -sm lunch bag with instant drinks + thermos, mres + heaters, hard candy -2 fully loaded hiking kits, ready for a few overnights in winter -1 scout leader's pack with hot chocolate, thermosses, snacks, extra lanyards, extra flashlights, local maps, compass, radios, 1st aid + psk

a back-country road book (not always accurate but, topographic and WAY more accurate that a regular map (pocket behind he seat) -a spare pair of glasses in a hard case (glove box) -a wire fishing leader, J-hook and Gerry worm (review mirror) -disposable plastic straws (glove box) -gasline anti-freeze, transmission fluid and extra fuses (under seat) -extra wipers (trunk)

My Jeep currently has:

Chargers and extra batteries
Baby BOB & stroller
My day hike kit (my son's is in there today too)
Hiking boots and extra merino wool socks
about 8 litres of water (nalgenes and pop bottles)
A couple of Clif bars
A PSK
A tool kit
Tarp and paracord
FAK and wool blanket
Headlamp
Extra bball hats and sunglasses
Sunscreen and bug juice
A towel
A sweater or jackeg for all us except the baby
Mechanics gloves
Jumper cables
Tire change stuff
extra fuses
Jug of washer fluid
A couple BICs
The other half of TOYs R Us that was missing in the Civic
Last edited by bacpacjac on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:54 pm

bacpacjac wrote:My vehicles often look like Toys R Us and a grocery store threw up in there. :oops:
My inner child loves the sounds of that. :D

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:56 pm

There's nothing like being stuck somewhere with bored and cranky kiddos to encourage over-prepping!

Mooha182

Post by Mooha182 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:03 pm

I wrote this early this morning before I went to work so I actually left out a few things

USGI Wool Blanket - This is actually in the picture under my first aid kits, but I completely forget to mention it.
Washer Fluid - I left this in my car, I keep it separate since it's a liquid and the cheap containers tend to spill.
Spare bulbs - I only purchased brake and turning light bulbs but completely agree that headlights are needed, it is the only common bulb I don't have!
Work gloves - I took mine out and used them for my vehicle maintenance and they are in the laundry.
Sunscreen & Bug Spray - normal FAK has a single-use pouch of each
Cell phone charger - in car as a dedicated item
GPS & Charger - In car as a dedicated item

Sure items to add to my kit;

Headlamp - I actually have one already that I will add in
Replacement headlamps - That way I will have all of the commonly replaced bulbs
Trash bags - Obvious omission, too many uses not have have them
Hat - Added, another item that I wold only think of when I wanted it!
Paracord - Added 100ft worth
BIC Lighter - Added to center console with other dedicated items
Travel TP - No explanation needed

I want to avoid carrying a saw or crowbar due to work but can see that would be useful. I may consider grabbing a small folding saw.
PSK - A little overkill for 48hrs but maybe I should jsut throw in a "survival kit in an Altoids can" one int here to cover many bases.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Must be me. I'd want Esbit stove and a half-dozen tabs to heat water. The MRE's have the heater, a cup of hot Joe or cocoa before bed is high on my list of stuff I want for the car...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:56 pm

I use a "tiered" system...so, up first is my "tool kit"

Here's my "verk" :awesome:

Built it day before last when I got a small box for it. Jumper Cables/Fix a flat/tow rope are in my larger "VSK" (Vehicle Survival Kit). :D

I've had my car "Survival Kit" assembled for awhile:

Still need to add some more food stuffs, just in case, but on long trips, I pack MRE's anyways.

And my Cold Weather Gear kit that goes in the vehicle in the colder months/as needed:
Image\

Not shown is my dedicated vehicle FAK (in an old M3 Medic Bag), fire extinguisher, hose clamps, triangle, and road flares. All I need now is a vest...NEXT on my list!

Include in your FAK some serious blow-out stuff...your typical FAK is useless in a real auto accident. Tourniquet, Quick-clot, Izzies, plenty of gauze...

And here' my DEDICATED (being the key word here) vehicle tool kit. It's important to have multiples of this stuff, cause if you have to constantly transfer stuff, there's a 50% chance you won't have those items when you need them:

Built it day before last when I got a small box for it. Jumper Cables/Fix a flat/tow rope are in my larger "VSK" (Vehicle Survival Kit). :D
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:15 pm

TacAir wrote:Must be me. I'd want Esbit stove and a half-dozen tabs to heat water. The MRE's have the heater, a cup of hot Joe or cocoa before bed is high on my list of stuff I want for the car...
I totally agree, Tac, especially here in the winter. and spring. and fall. LOL! I've always got a stove and esbit or wetfire tabs in my day hike/GHB/BOB kits, and there's always at least one of those in the Jeep. Melting snow and ice is my primary emergency water plan in cold weather. I keep the water bottles in the Jeep year round, but they tend to freeze when temps drop.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:04 pm

bacpacjac wrote:
TacAir wrote:Must be me. I'd want Esbit stove and a half-dozen tabs to heat water. The MRE's have the heater, a cup of hot Joe or cocoa before bed is high on my list of stuff I want for the car...
I totally agree, Tac, especially here in the winter. and spring. and fall. LOL! I've always got a stove and esbit or wetfire tabs in my day hike/GHB/BOB kits, and there's always at least one of those in the Jeep. Melting snow and ice is my primary emergency water plan in cold weather. I keep the water bottles in the Jeep year round, but they tend to freeze when temps drop.
Many don't realize ice yields more water than snow per unit of heating fuel.... We keep several bottles of water (or ice depending on the season) in the auto.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:00 am

Nice kits, guys! I will be watching this thread with interest. My current car kit isnt really picture-worthy, so keep the ideas coming!

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:44 am

I would shove a decent mag light in there somewhere.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”