Stupid Little Things That Hurt Like Hell

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

HuntingBow96

Re: Stupid Little Things That Hurt Like Hell

Post by HuntingBow96 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:27 am

Standing on lego bricks :lol:

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:27 pm

Went to the archery range with my Cub Pack this week for a little self mutilation. It seems I cannot fire a recurve bow without whacking my arm with the bow string. ouch!
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:27 pm

HuntingBow96 wrote:Standing on lego bricks :lol:
^ quoted for truth!
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:59 am

1)Citrus juice or infection in severe hangnail
2)standing and bumping my bony bald head on open cabinet door, always manage to get the point of the door too ;)
3)Stubbing pinky toe..my pinky toes no longer look human after +49 years of this abuse...
4)The throbbing after grabbing hot pot handle or lid..why is there always a slight delay in releasing the godam thing..
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:42 am

Papercuts.

Particularly when you need to find another place to put a roll of papers while you grab something, so you stick down your pants. And you are going commando. :cry:
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

weatherdude

Post by weatherdude » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:34 pm

Stepping on a lego
Johnathan
AHA ACLS, PALS, BLS Training Center Faculty

jdev

Post by jdev » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:03 pm

How many times can we say "Stepping on a LEGO" in this thread? Anybody wanna make a bet on it?

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:06 pm

jdev wrote:How many times can we say "Stepping on a LEGO" in this thread? Anybody wanna make a bet on it?
Specifically "Stepping on a LEGO" or variants thereof as well?

I'm gonna go with... 27...

Anyhow, on topic: Pinky toe in a beer bottle...

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:24 am

Stepping on beer caps in a hot tub.

Loading too many magazines without alternating thumbs and not using a loader.

In grown facial hair.

Once a year OC spray cert.

Standing up into the bottom of a car door mirror.

That itch between your shoulder blades that you just can't quite get with either hand.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Bunni

Post by Bunni » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:45 am

Alright I've got one for you, but I will start by examples of what seems like mere child's play in comparison. I've had a branch of pine needles slap me square in my open eye, with 3 penetrations. I have had 3 toes from the big toe across broken and the toe nails ripped off. I've pissed a kidneystone the size of an Excedrin 300mg pill. I got scratched in the eye by a ferret (which itches for months). I dislocated my neck, which didn't hurt at first but the 3 weeks of non ability to move that neck and the cramping and pains that involved was a real pain. Most bone have been broken but thats serious stuff and still doesn't compare to the top 3.

To top the list:
1. I disintegrated my tailbone skateboarding at 14. You can live without a tailbone, its not that needed, but the pain I endured for 8 months was a reminder every second of the highest level of my pain threshold. Especially when you finally can walk around without pain and you forget and sit down on it... I still get shivers remembering intense acute pain. (9.7 pain scale)

2. Cluster headaches... Its like a cross between the worst migraines one can experience and what you might imagine hell must be like. Thing is they last 3 to 7 days and nothing helps. You can't sleep, eat, see, vomit, urinate, function in any way. Crying hurts to much, and whimpering is such an effort you hope that the lack of oxygen kills you, but eventually you black out anyways and wake up either in a brain raping pain or completely fine like nothing ever happened. Best part about it is, there was nothing wrong with you physically. A nightmare of pain beyond imagine and you are physically in perfect health. (9.9 pain scale, if there is a worse I'd rather die)

3. A Charley horse that lasts more than 24 hours. Ouch... Sodium can kill you, and it can also cause some severe pain. (7.5 pain scale)

Wait Edit: Heart Ache and Love Loss is one of the most depraved agonies that is of very little consequence to the actual health and survivability of a person.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Thu May 02, 2013 2:28 pm

tinythief wrote:Legos :evil:
I'll see your legos and raise you a metal "jack" from the childrens game of jack, and rubber ball. Those things are actually minature caltrop's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caltrop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Thu May 02, 2013 2:48 pm

ironraven wrote:Papercuts.

Particularly when you need to find another place to put a roll of papers while you grab something, so you stick down your pants. And you are going commando. :cry:

Ooch!

I can tell you that while a normal paper cut hurts, it's much worse when using diazo blueprint paper. Blueprint paper is developed using a black light and the paper is coated with diazo salt so when you get a paper cut it automatically is like pouring salt into the cut. Add to that the fac that using high speed paper in the machine the paper is going past your hand at 4 feet a second, one slip and it's like running your hand on a band saw.

katieann

Post by katieann » Fri May 03, 2013 8:37 am

When you're cleaning out from under your fingernails with something pointy and accidentally go too deep by a fraction of a millimeter, and the bitch throbs all day.

xd dude

Post by xd dude » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:07 am

Placing a finger between an 80+ lb re-railer and the ball of the rail.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:29 pm

i broke my hand at 3 places, it hurted , but not that bad since it took me 2 day's before to go to the hospital, i also broke my wrist, that was more painful but my worse pain came from the fall i did with my bike , i felt on my elbow and managed to scratch the "funny bone" if you know what i mean, you know like when you it the right spot on your elbow and then you feel like a electric charge just passe through your entire body and your arm became numb for a few minutes ? well take that and multiply it X10

the bone wasn't even broken, it was just chipped, but still, i needed 5 mg of morphine to calm me down , worse pain ever

and about something that hurt like hell but don't need a lot to do so : i think all gentleman here share the same weakness right ?
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

maverick12
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by maverick12 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:42 am

- Dropping a 5 lb weight plate on your toe. Sucked
- Having to many drinks, going to wash your glass, use hot water, have glass explode cut ur hand. I was drunk but i stitched myself up that time. Hurt Like hell the next day.
- Legos
- Small Burns
- Falling with bike and getting road rash

will edit when i remember more

GRPABT1

Post by GRPABT1 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:20 am

Pulling nose hairs

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:02 am

bashing your head on a steel rod...worst headache i've had
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:49 am

Scrubbing the adhesive of concrete floors for 3 days by hand. My wrist hurts.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:37 am

When shooting a bow I somehow drove some fletching halfway under a fingernail. Man,did that hurt!

cusm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Night of the Commet

Post by cusm » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:54 pm

azrael99 wrote:i broke my hand at 3 places, it hurted , but not that bad since it took me 2 day's before to go to the hospital, i also broke my wrist, that was more painful but my worse pain came from the fall i did with my bike , i felt on my elbow and managed to scratch the "funny bone" if you know what i mean, you know like when you it the right spot on your elbow and then you feel like a electric charge just passe through your entire body and your arm became numb for a few minutes ? well take that and multiply it X10

the bone wasn't even broken, it was just chipped, but still, i needed 5 mg of morphine to calm me down , worse pain ever

and about something that hurt like hell but don't need a lot to do so : i think all gentleman here share the same weakness right ?

I shattered my funny bone (tip/bulb of my humerus) when i was 12; the worst part was having to walk a mile home. I had to bend my arm apply pressure to it to my torso to have a manageable level pain. I passed out in radiology when the tech attempted to straighten it for an X-ray, I was told an unholy blood curdling scream was emitted and my mom in the waiting room had to be restrained from busting the door down. Two surgeries and a few screws and it is about 85-90% normal.

Back to small things, a cardboard paper cut.

mantis

Post by mantis » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:23 pm

I've been working with computer for a very long time. Twenty-five years ago memory chips were just that - actual chips - 1" long black rectangles with pins protruding from the sides. You had to snap them into the main board. There were special chip puller tools to remove them from the board but if you were not careful, it would slip out while you were yanking it out and when that happened, you would often "Insert" the chip into your finger - with all of the pins painfully embedded into your skin. Only thing that I can remember that hurts worse than a paper cut.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:11 pm

i once got a stapler in the nail of my thumb

not as bad, but as painful as that

"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

xmasons

Post by xmasons » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:29 pm

Stepping on le...

Oh, we've discussed that one already.

For me: stepping on bees. Yeah, that sucked.

Return to “First Aid”