Child at the Door

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

pyratemime

Child at the Door

Post by pyratemime » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:08 pm

A few days ago I hear the handle on my front door working like mad. Looking at the door I was really confused because I couldn't see anyone through the glass or the sidelight. Walking over I look down and see a little mop of brown hair belonging to a little girl around 2 years old. It was early afternoon and in short order I found her mom who was visiting our next door neighbor. Her response was "Oh there you are!"

So my question is what do you do with a small child on your doorstep who is not old enough to tell you anything? Does your course of action change by time of day? As I thought this through I thought about someone using a kid as bait to open a door. So your thoughts?

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Re: Child at the Door

Post by Kelvar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:21 pm

Call the police and sit tight. The odds of someone using a child in this way vs. the odds of a child being lost. . .I'll try to help the child. If that means I fall for a clever ambush, so be it.
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:44 pm

With the situation as described I'm with Kelvar. This is a minefield.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:03 am

Some times we live in a bubble of paranoia that is of our owing making.

Short of an apocalyptic world, I can confidently say my response will always be: take the child's hand and cheerfully say: "Well hello there sweetheart! Let's go find your mommy and daddy!"

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:25 am

my response would be...

GET OFF MY LAWN!
:lol:

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:05 am

KYZHunters wrote:With the situation as described I'm with Kelvar. This is a minefield.
Like child abduction, not usually, no. That's not the first thing I think of. I mean, the idea of a child being used as bait or a decoy for an attack is not unheard of, but outside of a PAW or war zone, I'm going to immediately assume that a toddler managed to escape his parents, because I've had one of those, and they're quite the escape artists.

I open the door, pick up the kid and try to communicate, and canvas a limited radius around my house to try and re-unite the kid with his caretakers. If I can't get that to happen in about 30 minutes I call police for help. I'm thinking I've got better odds of winning the lottery (considering the country in which I live, and at the current state of unrest or lack thereof) than ending up caught metaphorically pants-down in an orchestrated ambush using a human baby as bait.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:55 am

My thoughts on her being bait occured after the fact when I was checking the status of my CHL online. In the moment I just wanted to find her parents.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

Rick Blane

Post by Rick Blane » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:06 pm

Kelvar wrote:Call the police and sit tight. The odds of someone using a child in this way vs. the odds of a child being lost. . .I'll try to help the child. If that means I fall for a clever ambush, so be it.

I think we would all try to help the child, including calling the proper people.

HuntingBow96

Post by HuntingBow96 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:23 pm

ausher wrote:my response would be...

GET OFF MY LAWN!
You know, I actually read that in his voice :lol:

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:41 pm

I would help but I live in an apartment complex and everyone has seen me with my own baby. There are only 15 apartments and I'm pretty sure I would find the right one sooner rather than later especially since I live on the second floor which would considering the age would cut my search in half and happy that the toddler didn't try to go downstairs which is right next to my door. Long and concrete would be horrible if the little tyke fell.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:15 pm

HuntingBow96 wrote:
ausher wrote:my response would be...

GET OFF MY LAWN!
You know, I actually read that in his voice :lol:
I think everyone does.

OT first thought and probably action, after going outside would be to call the police, unless it seemed apparent that the tot was from like next door.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:10 am

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
KYZHunters wrote:With the situation as described I'm with Kelvar. This is a minefield.
Like child abduction, not usually, no. That's not the first thing I think of. I mean, the idea of a child being used as bait or a decoy for an attack is not unheard of, but outside of a PAW or war zone, I'm going to immediately assume that a toddler managed to escape his parents, because I've had one of those, and they're quite the escape artists.

I open the door, pick up the kid and try to communicate, and canvas a limited radius around my house to try and re-unite the kid with his caretakers. If I can't get that to happen in about 30 minutes I call police for help. I'm thinking I've got better odds of winning the lottery (considering the country in which I live, and at the current state of unrest or lack thereof) than ending up caught metaphorically pants-down in an orchestrated ambush using a human baby as bait.
I'd go with this strategy, having had an escaped toddler myself.

M14fan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Walking Dead

Post by M14fan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm with Majorhavoc on this one. I'm going to cheerfully open the door to a toddler. If there is in fact an ambush, I am generally suitably prepared for that unlikely eventuality.
"It's not always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing.
I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing.
They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger...And I won't." John Wayne in 'The Shootist'

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:46 pm

A lot of this is situational. Out here in the boonies, I'm gonna let the kid in. An apartment complex where I know most of my neighbors? I'm going to sit outside with the kid and a cool glass of water. Outside, in plain view, where I can't be accused of anything.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.

Post by vawilderness » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:48 pm

Children freak me out. They are small and wiggly... yuck. That said, I've got yo go with sitting down with the kid and work my best to figure out where the parents are. Just say'in.
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:A lot of this is situational. Out here in the boonies, I'm gonna let the kid in. An apartment complex where I know most of my neighbors? I'm going to sit outside with the kid and a cool glass of water. Outside, in plain view, where I can't be accused of anything.
Good call.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:15 pm

All I can think is this is a mine field.

I got scared one day when i met a woman who truly believed that EVERY male who was single was out to touch her little girl in all those wrong ways.
She really believed it.
If her kid ever left her sight for a second she was holding the phone ready to dial the cops about an abduction. Tears in her eyes.

If a kid ever came to my door now, that is all I think about, some mother on the phone right now calling about someone abducting her kid. If I didn't call the cops right then and there my fanny could be answering a LOT of questions in some police station because that bat would be screaming to all hell to make sure I was questioned if not polygraphed to make sure I never ever touched her kid.

She even accused her own husband of raping her. That's why they got a divorce. He had proof, he was at work, out of town.

That one incident has scared the crap out of me. Strange kids are not something I even want to be alone with, ever.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:22 pm

If it's Carl, kid is on his own.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:35 am

DJH wrote:If it's Carl, kid is on his own.
:rofl:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:37 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:A lot of this is situational. Out here in the boonies, I'm gonna let the kid in. An apartment complex where I know most of my neighbors? I'm going to sit outside with the kid and a cool glass of water. Outside, in plain view, where I can't be accused of anything.
100% THIS. Good call. :clap:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Bahamut
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Post by Bahamut » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Kelvar wrote:Call the police and sit tight. The odds of someone using a child in this way vs. the odds of a child being lost. . .I'll try to help the child. If that means I fall for a clever ambush, so be it.
Unless I lived in an apartment complex or townhome/condo community, I would do this as well. I understand how kids are and they do tend to wander off at that age and not realize the danger they put themselves in. Now if there are only a few homes near my house, I would bring the kid and try to locate the parents or relative. If I did live in an apartment complex, than I would check with the immediate neighbors before resorting to getting the police involved,
Beware the roving zombie honeybadgers mercenary gangs that have an affinity for switchblades!

phractal

Post by phractal » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:36 am

Booger eater shows up at my door, I let my 110 lb dog out... I fucking HATE children, with a bleeding, black, ulcerous passion, and everyone in my AO knows it.
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:17 am

phractal wrote:Booger eater shows up at my door, I let my 110 lb dog out... I fucking HATE children, with a bleeding, black, ulcerous passion, and everyone in my AO knows it.
And if I saw you, as a neighbour, loose your 110lb dog at a 2 year old child, you wouldn't have a 110lb dog anymore.

I love kids and I love dogs, but if a dog is tearing after a small child, I'm gonna shoot it twice, in the face, and move on.

And you brought that comment on yourself for saying you would let an animal on a kid.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:56 am

I've had a few calls where toddlers went missing. The parents usually discovered it and called 911. In one case one of our officers was driving down a busy highway and almost ran over a little girl sitting in the middle on the road. Almost gave him a heart attack. He called us out on a welfare check on the kid, but we spent more time on him. Kids learn to open doors, parents aren't watching them for a minute or took a nap on the couch and they pulled a Houdini.

Happens quite a bit actually, at least in the area I work because of all the meth-heads. Usually on 'Day 3 ' they gotta get some sleep. Speed freaks have kids too. Not all the calls I've gotten have been speed freaks losing track of their kids, I just remember a couple instances real well and pissed me off pretty bad and so I tend to remember those a little bit better than the tired mother who just wasn't watching for a second.

As to a two year old knocking on our door I answer the door the same way every time. I look out one of our three porch windows before opening the door and I have a view of whoever is on our porch. If I don't know who they are I have a tendency of just talking to them through the window. There's literally no place to hide, so an ambush using the kid as bait is pretty unlikely to be successful and I can't really see the odds of that happening anyway outside of some really jacked up SHTF/PAW scenario.

I'd go out, get the little guy/gal and check them over while calling the police to locate the parents. I'd be glad that it was me that found them instead of someone else or that they didn't wander out into the street and get hit. I'd be in a position to provide care til on-duty Police/Fire/EMS showed up and I'm pretty good with kids since I'm a father too. Once I established that the child was okay I'd just try to get them interested in something. At most I'd be out a bowl full of Teddy Graham's and a Capri Sun and they could just watch Sprout with my son until everyone arrived. Keeping the door to your house open is probably a pretty good idea in this day and age.

As far as loosing a 110lbs dog on a toddler comment I did my best to ignore it, but that's a pretty fucked up comment. I hope you're not serious and that it was just a joke in bad taste.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Return to “What Would You Do?”