So, I work night security, unarmed. I used to carry a 3D MagLite, but it was eating batteries like they were candy, and my job doesn't pay for my batteries. So, I found an LED flashlight (2AA) that could clip in a pocket, was plenty bright enough, and had castellations at both ends, so it could be used as a kubaton if needed. I've had it about a year, and up till last night, was pretty happy with it.
We're experiencing some electrical problems at the job, and the bathroom closest to the office is without power (currently
). Needing to do a little sit-and-think, I figured, no problem, I've got my trusty flashlight! I laid it down, lit, on the vanity edge, facing the opposite wall, and the reflected light was plenty. All of a sudden, it starts going into disco mode, flashing rather rapidly, and then after about ten seconds of attempting to induce a seizure in me, it flat out quit. It worked fine for about five minutes prior to this happening, good, steady light, on fresh batteries.
Messing with it later, I managed to get it to light again, but it very quickly goes back to the strobing. I'm thinking it might have overheated a driver circuit- everything else looks fine, as near as I can see with the naked eye. Contacts are all clean, no corrosion, and as I said, fresh batteries. I cannot open either the LED mounting in the front, nor the switch housing in the back.
Anyone ever run across something like this? I've been wanting to get a Surefire, but the money was holding me back, especially considering I had a good, working EDC light already. So, I guess I'll be upgrading after all (TY tax refund!), but I'm worried that if it can happen with this light, can it happen to others, and if so, how common is this? I've had other LED lights, mostly dollar store junk, but never run into this issue before.