I need to change my bag and kit

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

I need to change my bag and kit

Post by azrael99 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:26 pm

this is what it used to be my BoB

well i know this is a motivation poster, but I MADE THAT KIT AND MOTIVATION PICTURE

well this kit is not good anymore for me, i will keep it for another task but i want a more serious kit, and better prepared.

there some bag i was looking. which one would be the best, or what would you recommend instead ?
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Necrodamus

Re: I need to change my bag and kit

Post by Necrodamus » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Dont start with the bag.

Gather your stuff first.

Then find a bag you like that all the stuff will fit in.

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:10 pm

^^^ What he said. I have a closet full of packs and bags of varying sizes because I too often bought the bag first, THEN starting packing it.

If you are going for a certain size restraint (i.e. "it has to fit in a messenger bag") then by all means get the bag and have at it. I have done this a few times, most recently in my abortive Autumn MBO entry, but it isnt really the best way to go.

So, that out of the way, what do you need / want to carry? And how much/little does it need to weigh?

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:18 pm

i would like a bag that could cover the whole 4 seasons, also the kit that would fit with.
as for recommended kit there is many good tread that cover the basic, but i would have to adapt it to me current need.

i'm looking for something around 35-40 pounds of current kit. that would be without a tac-vest and a firearm.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Winston Smith » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:30 pm

You could try this one from the BOB Deals thread: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kelty-Eagle-Lar ... 4658wt_982

Looks like a pretty good deal, good sized and decent quality. Planning to pick one up for my first BOB when the moneys right next month.

*BloodbathPB prior to 4JUN2012*

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:39 pm

azrael99 wrote:i would like a bag that could cover the whole 4 seasons, also the kit that would fit with.
as for recommendation there is many good tread that cover the basic, but i would have to adapt it to me current need.

4 seasons in Quebec covers a lot of temperature variations. If you are going for a full 3 day bug out kit, I would look for a big bag. You will need a lot of space for cold weather gear, sleeping bags, and the like.

Exploriment

Post by Exploriment » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:46 am

Those last three bags are garbage. Not to mention they are not even close in size to the CadPat bag in the first picture.

If you want a "serious kit" you need to get a serious bag.

Plenty of recommendations on here. Just read.

sarky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Shawn of the Dead

Post by sarky » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:46 am

Don't think of a bag as a 4 season closet. Instead put together seasonal modules. These are bags that go in your BOB, you change them out as the seasons change. Your basic survival gear will always stay the same except perhaps if you live in a temperate zone and plan a trip to the desert then adding more water capacity would be in order. If you try and make your BOB a 4 season kit it will wind up very large and heavy.
Figure out what your bulkiest module will be and buy a bag that will easily fit it, then any of the other modules will fit no problem and room for luxury items.
20 years USN
SERE Instructor
P-3 Flight Engineer
Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor

troll1000
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil (all of them), dawn of the dead, 28 days, 28 weeks.

Post by troll1000 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:44 pm

sarky wrote:Don't think of a bag as a 4 season closet. Instead put together seasonal modules. These are bags that go in your BOB, you change them out as the seasons change. Your basic survival gear will always stay the same except perhaps if you live in a temperate zone and plan a trip to the desert then adding more water capacity would be in order. If you try and make your BOB a 4 season kit it will wind up very large and heavy.
Figure out what your bulkiest module will be and buy a bag that will easily fit it, then any of the other modules will fit no problem and room for luxury items.
Good advice right there.
"you may all to hell and i will go to Texas" - David Crockett
AR-10 why force entry when you can shoot them through the walls.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:18 pm

troll1000 wrote:
sarky wrote:Don't think of a bag as a 4 season closet. Instead put together seasonal modules. These are bags that go in your BOB, you change them out as the seasons change. Your basic survival gear will always stay the same except perhaps if you live in a temperate zone and plan a trip to the desert then adding more water capacity would be in order. If you try and make your BOB a 4 season kit it will wind up very large and heavy.
Good advice right there.
i agree, sure having a bag for every season would be good, but i'm sure i can cut somewhere, like : cold weather bag, and warm weather bag. what do you think ?

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:34 pm

azrael99 wrote:
troll1000 wrote:
Good advice right there.
i agree, sure having a bag for every season would be good, but i'm sure i can cut somewhere, like : cold weather bag, and warm weather bag. what do you think ?
I started with a three season kit, it was less money, smaller, and had a lot of the basics. When I had the time and money, I set aside the winter clothing that I couldn't survive a day without in February in a separate duffel bag. It wasn't pretty, but it gave me a sense of preparedness for that dreaded season. Now, I'm working on a kit that is Winter BOB/4 season INCH.

For the specifics of a sleeping bag, try a cold weather bag for your winter module (minimum -2degC) and a thermal liner for your summer module. This is my setup, and covers me down to temperatures of -17degC. Add to that thermal clothing, and winter tent/bivy, and you can likely handle anything but the most EXTREME Canadian winters.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

eugene

Post by eugene » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Your original BOB the Camelbak Transformer, it looks familiar?
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:19 pm

that possible, the poster i made was used on multiple website even if that kit was far from be a good example of a good BoB, but i felt flatted that they liked it.

and just to let you know, i didn't stopped to use that bag because it's bad, (FAR from that) but because it doesn't serve me as good anymore the original purpose.

eugene

Post by eugene » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:58 pm

I was going to say you can fit about twice as much gear in it as you have beside it.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

Return to “Bug Out Gear”