DIY attached storage shed rennovation

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mooha182

DIY attached storage shed rennovation

Post by Mooha182 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:33 am

I recently moved into a new place and wanted to get my DIY on. My first large project is to get the outdoor attached shed into real usable condition.

The plan is to completely renovate my side (it's shared) of the shed into a usable storage space as well as a small work shed and a place to clean my weapons so I don't have the fumes in my liveable space.

Attached are my current and future electrical drawings

The master plan is to do the following:

Redo the floor with a garage epoxy and replace the floor drain.
Wire in a GFI outlet with the light switch
Replace the small light fixture with a large shop light
Add some industrial racks for contingency storage
Place a smoke detector somewhere in there

Later plans
Wall up the place with some insulation for winter
Add another power outlet for a small portable heater

Before I do anything major (besides seal up some large holes in the wall) pics:

stonecutter2

Re: DIY attached storage shed rennovation

Post by stonecutter2 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Should be a good project! I look forward to seeing how it develops :)

EODguy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Leigion

Post by EODguy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:32 pm

Keep us posted, looks like a man cave in the making!
Do em' do em' do the whole village!

Mooha182

Post by Mooha182 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:47 am

Well the home management company (military housing) axed my idea of putting a power outlet out there BUT did approve the rest of the modifications. They even said if I submit some work orders, they will come by and do some of the work for me!

This morning I went in and cleaned out the cobwebs and reassessed the layout. Didn't get all the way out the door before this little guy attacked me!

I retreated when I saw my shared wall covered in these guys:

I now have to wait for the exterminator to come or else they will come back and I risk getting them stuck in my epoxy etc. Does anyone know what these things are!? Some of them ran to the opposite end of the shed under my neighbor's pile of crap.

Anyhow, I am off to go see my mx rep and ask for an emergency bug genocide for inside my shed.

stonecutter2

Post by stonecutter2 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:38 pm

Those look like some kind of scifi movie hybrid of a cricket and spider.

Gross!

I'd suggest walling off the neighbor's stuff - otherwise you might continually be infested. Who knows what they have in there and for how long.

Xale D

Post by Xale D » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:42 pm

Those are "Cave Crickets". Large, scary, but mostly harmless.
--
Xale D
I am an assistant, I assist.

Mooha182

Post by Mooha182 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:45 pm

I guess the exterminator WAS correct in saying that the stuff he was spraying wasn't "exactly environmentally friendly, but it sure gets the job done"

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I double tap'ed them JUST in case! :mrgreen:

EODguy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Leigion

Post by EODguy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:21 pm

Add the electric anyway, and don't tell anybody! You will be glad you did! Plus military housing is a contract affair run by civilian ass clowns. Just make sure you follow good and safe practices and stay in code.
Do em' do em' do the whole village!

Mooha182

Post by Mooha182 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:09 pm

The last few days I made some real progress. The maintenance folks came and installed the weather seals on the only two doors that didn't need them. This means I have to wait even longer for another warm day to clean the floor and not worry about more dirt blowing in under the door.

After the exterminator made a repeat visit I cleaned up the genocide pile and took a look around.

First to go was the small puny light bulb with a new 100w equivalent version.

Next I used fire rated orange spray foam (designed for use here) to close off the crickets entrance to my house.

I found out how they are getting in! (Yes that is a 1" gap between my floor and the bottom of the wall!)

I used some regular spray foam along the gap because the hardware store around here doesn't make anything larger than 5/8th inch caulk saver foam rope.

To add a better water seal, I also used some silicon / acrylic caulk

I also got the hand of the stuff sealing the stop of the wall

Finally, I used the real stuff; a masonry sealer caulk to finish up

yale

Post by yale » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:16 am

I love these DIY threads. The ones where people rennovate bathrooms and stuff are full of win. This is a thread I WILL be following. Please keep updating it.

Mooha182

Post by Mooha182 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:43 am

I took some time this thanksgiving and etched the floor, twice

Looks like I can add some drain modifications to my to do list. This occured AFTER I mentioned to the maintenance folks that the drain cover sucked and it appeared the drain was clogged.

Today is going to be a great day to epoxy, only if I can get a small heater outside tonight because the temp will get dangerously close to 50F.

Mooha182

Post by Mooha182 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:28 am

ZS Control! We have a PROBLEM! I am out of duck-tape! :gonk:

My painter's tape isn't sticking to anything!

Mooha182

Post by Mooha182 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:24 pm

Today was a very good day. Nice and warm outside and the sun came out/

After etching:

Removing the door plate because it was loose

Cleaned up

Chiseled away these pieces of concrete

Used a small tub of concrete pre-mix patch to cover up the holes and the cracks

Bought a dremel tool and went at the door rust (Before)

After de-rusting

It was hard to get in some areas so I brought the door off it's hinges (it wasn't easy alone, it's a heavy steel door)

The whole bottom was rusted out

The side of the door before (step 1)

Side step 2: after dremel

Side step 3: rustolem spray paint (matches perfectly when dried)

The next problem was this drain. The top was 1/4" steel ring that needed to be taken out

Easy with the dremel, when you use the right bit!

A whole lot better than that rusty piece of mesh they were using!

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:02 pm

Great job so far. How big is the storage unit?

Mooha182

Post by Mooha182 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:01 pm

It's only 6'x6' or so but that's 6'x6' of stuff that I don't have to store inside.

ShortFieldBreak

Post by ShortFieldBreak » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:16 pm

EODguy wrote:Add the electric anyway, and don't tell anybody! You will be glad you did! Plus military housing is a contract affair run by civilian ass clowns. Just make sure you follow good and safe practices and stay in code.
I would advise against this. I haven't lived in military housing since I was 3, but I've dealt with plenty of issues with my sailors. There are times when making unauthorized changes to your PPV housing could get you in trouble at the least, or evicted at most,...ESPECIALLY if you've already asked and been shut down. I'm just saying, err on the side of caution here.

As for the project itself, SO full of win. You're going to have a really nice space there, especially since the before pictures are more typical of what folks have to put up with. Nice job with what you've shown us so far! I can't wait to see the final product!

-SFB

TXwaterdog
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand, Shawn of the Dead, I'm more a fan of apocalyptic movies than Zombie movies. I'm not much of a horror fan. Hobo With a Shotgun, book of Eli, Mad Max...

AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Post by TXwaterdog » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:39 am

Mooha182 wrote:... the drain cover sucked and it appeared the drain was clogged.

Today is going to be a great day to epoxy, only if I can get a small heater outside tonight because the temp will get dangerously close to 50F.
If the maintenance guys don't fix it I suggest renting a roto rooter.
"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George

Mooha182

Post by Mooha182 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:57 pm

They claimed they vacuumed it out and stuff but when they came for winter maintenance inspections, I pointed my flashlight down the drain to show them the plug of sh1t down there. I even filled it back up with water to show that it drains slowly, if at all.

This problem, and the fact it was still damp out from rain meant i wasn't able to finish the floor. I don't want to do anything floor-wise until i can be sure they aren't going to rip up the floor.

Today I am just going to work on a note to my neighbor to get them to clean their sh1t out, and get their side sprayed since the crickets still cross over to my side now and then. Besides that, I bought a dewalt drill and drilled out the long-gone concrete anchors in prep for the floor work.

Mooha182

Post by Mooha182 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:51 am

Sorry, no updates because I worked all weekend and the maintenance people decided to put my drain off on Friday. On the up side, I spent the rest of that time setting up my bug in food storage rack and bug in / command and control room. Pics later in different threads

john917v
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Romero movies

Post by john917v » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:30 am

Good to hear about the workspace!! You can run extension cords out to the shop from your home, and maybe even one of those multi-power outlets. I also recommend abiding to the rules about not wiring the workspace. I'm sure they keep track of who lived in what location, or if a work crew needs to access that area, you may be in trouble.

Mooha182

Post by Mooha182 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:46 am

Sorry that I haven't updated this. Nothing has happened because the maintenance people are stalling on the drain. Its still clogged after two work orders. I have a third order I opened up over a week ago but this time I hope they actually fix the dam thing. Either way I have been working a second job to earn extra cash to pay for my projects and to save. I was thinking of picking up a m9 (the real one, not a 92fs) for $505 with all fees and stuff...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Mooha182

Post by Mooha182 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:04 pm

Well this project has been shelved until mid February due to a change in work schedule and temperatures. The maintenance folks closed out my 3rd work order effectively peeving me off and only driving me further into getting a plumber out here.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:28 am

Mooha182 wrote:Well this project has been shelved until mid February due to a change in work schedule and temperatures. The maintenance folks closed out my 3rd work order effectively peeving me off and only driving me further into getting a plumber out here.

I know it's mostly a civ (don't give a shsit) contractor that owns the home and does the maintenance.

I would contact the installation housing office and ask where you would file a damage claim against Sam since you have repeatedly put in work orders, the been blown off. Ask if they could establish the upper level of a claim, just so you know....

Don't harsh on the dudes, just say you want your ducks lined up for when the drain fails to, well, drain and your property is damaged.

Smile a lot, that seems to help.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:30 am

Mooha182 wrote:
I retreated when I saw my shared wall covered in these guys:

My wife and I both freaked when we saw these things. We've actually come to really like them. There are hundreds in my garden shed,... they really don't get into anything in there either. We instantly made the "Spider-Cricket" connection, too. We like to call them Sprickets. LOL.

Best part thing these guys - Instant Fish Bait! Bream will absolutely destroy these things,.. well, they like regular crickets, too, but these are in the shed and always up for a trip to the pond!
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”