Best Food (per volume)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Best Food (per volume)

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:37 pm

GunsUp wrote:
I used to have peanut butter and honey, but I decided it was too much of a mess... and might give me some serious intestinal dysfunction.
it can be messy, but you can also get the condiment size packs of each. i have "honey sticks" in my bag. plus you could use the straws after the honey is sucked/squeezed out. :D

these are the exact ones i have in my bag... http://cgi.ebay.com/20ct-Original-Clove ... 4cec8a1079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this is what they look like...http://cgi.ebay.com/Flavored-Honey-Stix ... 5ad69596e3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dragk913
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, "Dead" Series, etc.

Post by Dragk913 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:39 pm

WhoShotJR wrote:
GunsUp wrote: I used to have peanut butter and honey, but I decided it was too much of a mess... and might give me some serious intestinal dysfunction.

Why do you think you'd have stomach problems? PB eaten in quantity has plenty of fiber. Is it all the fat you're worried about? Just curious cause I've never tried to live of PB and honey for days at a time. :lol:
I can't think of any problems PB would give you.. Ever since I was a little kid (4ish?) I've had a strange love for PB anything. I eat atleast one PB&J sandwich a day. Even the high fat (it has good fat too) content won't hurt you if you aren't already a whale.
Hoppy wrote: ZS. We put body parts in sheep.

Luthifer
Favorite Zombie Movies: My movie consumption is shameful. Or awesome. I watch few movies.

Post by Luthifer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:03 am

Dragk913 wrote:
WhoShotJR wrote:
GunsUp wrote: I used to have peanut butter and honey, but I decided it was too much of a mess... and might give me some serious intestinal dysfunction.

Why do you think you'd have stomach problems? PB eaten in quantity has plenty of fiber. Is it all the fat you're worried about? Just curious cause I've never tried to live of PB and honey for days at a time. :lol:
I can't think of any problems PB would give you.. Ever since I was a little kid (4ish?) I've had a strange love for PB anything. I eat atleast one PB&J sandwich a day. Even the high fat (it has good fat too) content won't hurt you if you aren't already a whale.
This is the reason I've got PB in my bag- I effing crave it when I'm hungry. I carry a combination of stripped MREs, homebuilt MaREs, Mtn. House, and snack foods and PB. I want something to eat when I'm tired, something to eat when water is plentiful, and something I can eat while I'm moving. I think that diversity is useful in food, a little something for every situation. That being said, calorie density is paramount.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Not Benjamin Franklin

slingstone

Post by slingstone » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:41 am

I've always been a fan of cashews and craisins. Not to ornery and rebel against the peanuts & raisins folk, but I think they taste better after days of eating the same thing. Throw in some candied pineapple if you're daring.

Another recipe I'm fond of is "thai noodles."
It's basically a packet of Ramen noodles, Cooked. with a Table spoon of peanutbutter and then hotsauce to taste. Can be pre-cooked and mixed in a bag or made hot (much better in my opinion). The taste is similar to some nutty/spicy thai dishes and loaded with easy calories. It's a great change of pace when you're tired of deciding whether to add the pork or the chicken seasoning packet to your noodles.

Sinzitu
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series by Romero... and the remakes.
Versus
Zombie
28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead TV series & spinoffs
The Cure

Post by Sinzitu » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:41 am

Luthifer wrote:This is the reason I've got PB in my bag- I effing crave it when I'm hungry. I carry a combination of stripped MREs, homebuilt MaREs, Mtn. House, and snack foods and PB. I want something to eat when I'm tired, something to eat when water is plentiful, and something I can eat while I'm moving. I think that diversity is useful in food, a little something for every situation. That being said, calorie density is paramount.
I subscribe to the same philosphy for BOB/GHB rations. Variety is good given the situations you describe.
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom.
-Samuel Taylor Coleridge

MyDogMike

Post by MyDogMike » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:14 am

Personally, I pack a few MRE's...a few Mountain House Meals...some instant soup packets...Beef Jerky...sometimes rice and whatever (to use as a side dish) and I've never been displeased with my selection. I think variety goes a long way.

Deep six the Ramen noodles unless it's just a comfort thing, though. If you're looking for nutrition, Ramen ain't it...

NapTime

Post by NapTime » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:13 am

When you're getting tuna packets, look for the ones packed in oil and not water. Much higher cal/oz. I've read that you should shoot for 125-130 cal/oz. Another discussion of the same topic can be found here. Another trick I've read is to take potato chips, which have 155 cal/oz, and to crush them for portability. Sorry for just link dropping, but they're full of good info that is well tested.

Luthifer
Favorite Zombie Movies: My movie consumption is shameful. Or awesome. I watch few movies.

Post by Luthifer » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:58 am

NapTime wrote:When you're getting tuna packets, look for the ones packed in oil and not water. Much higher cal/oz. I've read that you should shoot for 125-130 cal/oz. Another discussion of the same topic can be found here. Another trick I've read is to take potato chips, which have 155 cal/oz, and to crush them for portability. Sorry for just link dropping, but they're full of good info that is well tested.

Tuna in oil also doesn't freeze as easily.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Not Benjamin Franklin

Flex
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later FTW

Post by Flex » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:06 am

I'm a fan of Joe's Ultralight Moose Goo (peanut butter, honey, and corn flour all mixed together) on tortillas or crackers. It doesn't react too well to the cold (I have to keep the tubes inside my jacket to make them squeezable), but it's delicious as all hell after working outside in the cold. You can also dial back on the corn flour to make it less viscous. Doesn't require water to make, and you can eat it on the move very easily -- just like a schmancy energy gel, really, but costs a whole lot less and tastes better.

Also -- never, ever microwave the goo. Kind of a well-duh thing, but it didn't occur to me that the honey would crystallize until after I loaded the goo into tubes and they turned into bricks.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erat, tum soli proscript catapultas habeunt.

harleycat
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead
day of the dead

Post by harleycat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:14 pm

This might be in the running for the dumbest question of the day but does it make any difference if its crunchy peanut butter or smooth to the calorific values cos if it aint got lumps it dont taste nice (quote from my 3 year old) and also does the wholemeal version make any difference?????

Also not so keen on keeping a glass jar in my bob so whats the best way to keep it fresh and also still keep its shelf life??

cheers

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:44 pm

harleycat wrote:This might be in the running for the dumbest question of the day but does it make any difference if its crunchy peanut butter or smooth to the calorific values cos if it aint got lumps it dont taste nice (quote from my 3 year old) and also does the wholemeal version make any difference?????
Also not so keen on keeping a glass jar in my bob so whats the best way to keep it fresh and also still keep its shelf life??
I'm not sure - probably the same, but just looking at the peanut butter labels on shelves of the nearest grocery store should resolve the nutritional question for you. FWIW: I agree with your 3 yo! :)

Not sure where you're located, but PB in glass jars has gotten kind of rare around here - they're mostly plastic.

Dry, cool, dark, and unopened will probably be the paths to longest shelflife.
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

harleycat
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead
day of the dead

Post by harleycat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:22 pm

Im in the UK and most peanut butter is sold in glass jars so thats why i wondered about changing the container and how long a can expect it to last once transfered. The only place ive found it in plastic is in Lidls but this just tastes nasty :mrgreen:

Dont know if youve had/got it in the states but (cant remember who) someone produced a peanut butter/chocolate spread swirled together in the same jar. Never tried it but not sure if this would fit the bill or change the monotony of the same ole same ole on crackers

cheers

billyism

Post by billyism » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:04 am

Do not use alcohol as a food/energy source. The calories come from Sugar but as alcohol - which is poison to your body (that's why you get a buzz). Plus it's about 65 calories per oz, whereas chocolate is about 115. In a bug out situation, you need a clear head. Save the drinking for after the showdown at the Umbrella Corp Headquarters and use it for disinfecting wounds beforehand.

As for bug out food, a 3 day supply of whatever will probably work. If it's for the PAW, you'll need more than tuna and peanut butter. There's an excellent documentary called Alone in the wild by Ed Wardle- NOT the movie called into the wild about the dumbass in Alaska. He couldn't survive 3 months in the Yukon with rations, so saying you're gonna be one bad zombie killer with tuna and PBJ is a pipe dream. If it's just to get to the closest Food Distributer after a tornado or Hurricane, a 3 day plan will work. Even a 3 week plan might work, but a long term bug out without a group and significant stash of tools/supplies/SEEDS is a joke.
Billyism

"I tremble for my country when I reflect
that God is just; that his justice cannot
sleep forever. "
~Thomas Jefferson

argyre

Post by argyre » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Long ago and far away I occasionally was tasked with determining the best foods to haul along on winter mountaineering trips, where calories per ounce was pretty important.

Based on my research at the time, one of the highest calorie densities was Olive Oil. But among foods more likely to be eaten directly the winner was Cheddar Cheese. Sadly, in its usual form, Cheddar Cheese is not particularly shelf stable.
But, if I am not mistaken, Mountain House has containers of freeze dried cheddar cheese (or they used to...)

I would consider the aerosol cans of eazy cheeze a bad (and bulky) delivery system. If the Freeze dried stuff isn't suitable for your needs, there are squeeze packets of both cheese spread or peanut butter packed as part of the "accessories" for MREs, no? And some vendors sell them separately.

I expect that I will add some PB to our BoBs. Currently carrying a combo of tuna packets, chicken packets, indian food packets, rye crackers, granola, and ration bars.
Mag Pouch Kit Contest Entry - French Press based: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0#p1275085
NEF/H&R Survivor Handi-Rifle survival kit: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=72375

Shaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:06 pm

On the topic of store bought peanut butter...this is the highest caloric density peanut butter that I have found. It also has the highest carbs (albeit still not much) of the other peanut butters that I have had the chance to compare it to respectfully. There are a few others out there that match its calorie content, but without as many carbs.

If anyone finds one that beats it, please let me know.

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:34 pm

I just added a small jar of PB to my GHB. Thanks for the excellent info.

I'll have to try a jar of that PB/honey mix.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

TheFishinMagician

Post by TheFishinMagician » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:51 pm

Caloric density per volume isn't the only important factor. You can get a lot of calories from crappy junk foods. Balanced nutrition is just as important, if not moreso, in a survival situation. If the foods don't have the vitamins and minerals you need, vitamin supplements will also need to be carried.

Just sayin'...it's not all about the fat/protein/carb calories. People who expect to live off peanut butter or chocolate or something else without supplementation are fooling themselves.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Image Image

argyre

Post by argyre » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:26 pm

True. But if the rations in your BoB are actually for a three day (or 1 day or 1 week, or even a couple of weeks) caloric density is a major factor.
Over these sorts of timeframes, issues of overall healthiness and vitamin content are not that big a concern.
Once you get past a couple weeks, those issues become MUCH more important.
And including supplemental vitamins to go with your high calorie (and maybe high protein, for PB) rations, uses up negligible weight and space.

Packing rations that you are both willing to eat, and that provides adequate energy, for a time period that may very well demand unusual energy output from you, is very important. And those same situations may demand that these foods have minimal preparation requirements.

The place to worry about issues of vitamins and healthy nutrition is in your long term food stores.

I suppose if you have a months worth of food in your INCH bag, you might consider this as well...
Mag Pouch Kit Contest Entry - French Press based: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0#p1275085
NEF/H&R Survivor Handi-Rifle survival kit: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=72375

bkitchen0406

Post by bkitchen0406 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:32 pm

Important -when peanut butter is opened and not refrigerated it turns into a carcinogen. If using peanut butter I would not open it and keep it in original container before use. I use civilian mre's, beans, and dried fruit for fiber. Your nutrition needs may be different. Not sure why anyone would pack a pound of chocolate. One bar for moral might be a good idea.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:58 pm

bkitchen0406 wrote:Important -when peanut butter is opened and not refrigerated it turns into a carcinogen.
No, it doesn't...
molawns wrote:Just sayin'...it's not all about the fat/protein/carb calories. People who expect to live off peanut butter or chocolate or something else without supplementation are fooling themselves.
For 3 days or a week, you do not need to worry about supplementing with vitamins unless you were malnourished before whatever happened...if you expect people to die from eating peanut butter in the short-term (or even for a month), you're fooling yourself...there are people all over this nation and planet who function for months/years at a time on foodstuffs less nutritionally rich than peanut butter...it's not optimal, but is far from an immediate threat to your well-being...

Jamie - nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

bkitchen0406

Post by bkitchen0406 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:42 pm

I did not say it would kill u. I said it would turn into a carcinogen. The question was brought up about storing peanut butter in a different container.

111t

Post by 111t » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:56 pm

fats have the most calories by weight. As has been said, it's more complicated than that... otherwise a couple of bricks of lard would do ya.

Gross.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:08 am

S/he's (bkitchen0406) talking about aflatoxins. In moldy peanut butter.
http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/aflatoxin.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ceplacer.ucdavis.edu/files/77.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

ei8htx
BANNED

Post by ei8htx » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:20 am

bump. (I'm gonna go back through this when I'm sober)

Return to “Bug Out Gear”