13 things (and more) a burglar won't tell you

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:08 am

This has probably been posted here before, but it's a good read and a good reminder.
There are some really great tips here: The best are near the end. Common Sense applied in a vigorous way.

1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your Carpets, paint ing your shutters, or delivering your new refrigerator.

2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in Your Yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to Make my Return a little easier.

3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste... And taste means There Are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make Me Wonder what type of gaming system they have.

4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I Might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes You to Remove it..

5. If it snows while you're out of town, get a neighbor to create car And Foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead Giveaway.

6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don't let your Alarm Company install the control pad where I can see if it's set. That makes It Too easy.

7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the Windows On the second floor, which often access the master bedroom - and your Jewelry. It's not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.

8. It's raining, you're fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to Lock Your door - understandable. But understand this: I don't take a day off Because of bad weather.

9. I always knock first. If you answer, I'll ask for directions
Somewhere or Offer to clean your gutters. (Don't take me up on it.)

10. Do you really think I won't look in your sock drawer? I always check Dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.

11. Here's a helpful hint: I almost never go into kids' rooms.

12. You're right: I won't have enough time to break into that safe where You Keep your valuables. But if it's not bolted down, I'll take it with me.

13. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm System. If you're reluctant to leave your TV on while you're out of town, you Can Buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the flickering glow
Of A real television.

(Find it athttp://www.faketv.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8 MORE THINGS A BURGLAR WON'T TELL YOU:

1. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a lawn guy And Carry a rake. I do my best to never, ever look like a crook.

2. The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.

3. I'll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If Your Neighbor hears one loud sound, he'll stop what he's doing and wait to Hear It again.. If he doesn't hear it again, he'll just go back to what he Was Doing. It's human nature.

4. I'm not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy Alarm system and leave your house without setting it?

5. I love looking in your windows. I'm looking for signs that you're Home, And for flat screen TVs or gaming systems I'd like. I'll drive or walk Through your neighborhood at night, before you close the blinds, just to Pick my targets.

6. Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page. It's easier Than You think to look up your address.

7. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way To Let in a little fresh air. To me, it's an invitation.

8. If you don't answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I hit The Jackpot and walk right in.

Sources: Convicted burglars in North Carolina, Oregon, California, and
Kentucky ; security consultant Chris McGoey, who runshttp://www.crimedoc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and Richard T. Wright, a criminology professor at the
University of Missouri-St. Louis, who interviewed 105 burglars for his Book
Burglars on the Job

Protection for you and your home:

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you. (I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.):

WASP SPRAY

A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about
using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker
until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection...
Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

FROM ANOTHER SOURCE

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School. For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says, "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's
a tip he's given to students for decades. It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray.

"That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out."

Maybe even save a life.

PUT YOUR KEYS BESIDE YOUR BED AT NIGHT
PUT YOUR KEYS BESIDE YOUR BED AT NIGHT

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr.'s office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across. Put your car keys beside your bed at night...
If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies. This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next
time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this: It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or
until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage. If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick
around. After a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking
lot. The alarm can work the same way there
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

ei8htx
BANNED

Re: 13 things (and more) a burglar won't tell you

Post by ei8htx » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:15 am

Very useful, a good lookover.

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:40 am

Car alarm thing was great, never thought of that!

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:46 am

I remember seeing a discussion about the wasp spray, and NOT to do it. You don't want to be sued because you caused the permanent blindness of the crook.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

epirider

Post by epirider » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:37 am

dukman wrote:I remember seeing a discussion about the wasp spray, and NOT to do it. You don't want to be sued because you caused the permanent blindness of the crook.
I will articulate that I was in fear of my life or the life / well being of my family and wasp spray, a hammer, a lamp, or anything else in my reach was used in the defence of my person and my family. I am horribly sorry that the bad guy made a VERY poor choice when he decided to enter my house illegally. It is a shame that in the commission of the felony that he was committing just by being there, let alone the felony that he may or may not have premeditated once he was in my dwelling. Not knowing his intentions, I was compelled to protect myself in what ever way I was able too. He may have to live with the consequences of his bad decisions. If that is perm. blindness, then I would guess that is better then whatever the bad guy would do to me...
"Defending myself and the lives of the innocent that count on me to do so. I do this vigorously, and with great malice - to the bitter end or the relief of tranquility." Jim Hansen

hawk55732
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead and City of the Dead

Post by hawk55732 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:22 am

Unfortunatly, now days you would probably lose and have to pay money to the burgalar. Thats the sad state that our legal system has come to.

Big D

Post by Big D » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:48 am

The wasp spray is probably bad advice. It clearly states on the can that it is a crime to use that product in a manner other than what it is intended for. The companies that make OC make some pretty good products these days that can shoot just as far as those wasp sprays can.

As far as the other statements they all sounded petty good. One thing I read somewhere not too long ago was not to have any liquor or wine bottles in plain view through your windows or where solicitors could see them when you answer your door. This was something I had never considered but it makes sense. Many residential burglaries are committed by teenagers who would love to score a bottle or two of booze.

Another trick I've heard, especially for women who may live alone or with other women. Put a large pair of work boots outside the front door. It makes it look like there is a man ho lives there and he may be home.

Oh another thing I forgot to add. If you have an attached garage and you don't park in it all the time don't leave your garage door opener in your vehicle. Bad guys break into your car and grab the opener and walk right into your casa.

johndoe

Post by johndoe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:22 am

hawk55732 wrote:Unfortunatly, now days you would probably lose and have to pay money to the burgalar. Thats the sad state that our legal system has come to.

Not to be a jerk, but these sort of statements really tell me when someone has a fundamental misunderstanding of our legal system, and/or believes everything the media tells them about what's "wrong" with our legal system. I can't blame anyone for believing the ridiculous stories about out of control lawsuits, because the media has done a terrible disservice to us and embraced sensationalism rather than striving to give accurate information.

Yes, I know, I've seen all the stories about how X sued Y for something stupid. And it's true--people can sue for anything--that's a consequence of having a free and open justice system, and the media LOVES to report when some ridiculous lawsuit gets filed. Yet they never, ever report back a week later when the same lawsuit gets dismissed as frivolous, or when some chronic abuser of the justice system gets fined for their crap. So people get the mistaken impression that lawsuits are ruining America.

Or, the media, which is generally staffed by people with little to no legal background, fundamentally misunderstand how something works, or worse, simply leave out details in the name for page views or infuriating the readers. This is how the famous McDonald's coffee case came about--because the media never reported the full story. And why would they--they can get reprinted all over the country with a story about how someone sued over spilled coffee. It's much less exciting of a story to report the facts--such as how the victim suffered 3rd degree disfiguring burns requiring multiple skin graft surgeries because McDonald's had made a conscious decision that a few of these injuries was acceptable to save a 3 cents a cup from keeping the coffee warmer to make it last longer. Or that McDonalds had received over 700 claims of serious injuries resulting from their coffee, but chose to keep it that hot. Or how McDonalds had a chance to settle the lawsuit for her medical costs but refused. Or how the media reported she received millions in the lawsuit, but never reported the "millions" ultimately ended up being 480,000 due to a safeguard in the justice system.

So please, don't believe everything you read about lawsuits. Our media is no longer about informing the public. It's about fulfilling political ends or sensationalizing stories to attract a larger audience. That's not to say there aren't problems with our legal system, but for the most part, the big ones aren't the ones you see on the news.

hawk55732
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead and City of the Dead

Post by hawk55732 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:08 am

You can say what you want to but when it happens to a member of ur family you call them like you see them.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:42 am

WRT wasp spray: I can see it having some value in weapon-unfriendly jurisdiction's, if you could selll a jury on the idea that you had it on hand specifically to kill wasps, and just reached for it as an improvised weapon because it's what you had on hand. But I wouldn't try it.

Anyone who's ever used pepper spray, will probably tell you that at least some collateral spray got into their own eyes, via splashing, wind or getting whipped back in their direction during the fight. I'd rather risk collateral OC spray than collateral permanently injuring spray in my eyes.

So, yeah, I'd pick OC over bug spray for a less lethal defense option.

As for the rest of Klenzer's post, about break-in tactics, bravo, that's an excellent write up. Anyone care to add to it?
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:22 pm

the_klenzer wrote: PUT YOUR KEYS BESIDE YOUR BED AT NIGHT

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr.'s office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across. Put your car keys beside your bed at night...
If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies. This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next
time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this: It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or
until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage. If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick
around. After a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking
lot. The alarm can work the same way there
I love car alarms and remote controlled starters and lights for this reason. They can provide a very useful distraction or intimidation if you think someone is outside.

If you hit the remote starter the sound of the car starting will make someone think a person is in the car. The alarm is a good startle device and simply turning on head lights especially if you park with the lights pointed away from the house is equally effective.

razi

Post by razi » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:37 pm

car alarms will not deter car thieves, though. I've had my car broken into 4 times, and even with the fancy, expensive alarm, it doesn't do a lick of good. granted, they were after my stereo and not the car itself, but that is not much consolation.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:38 pm

Big D wrote:The wasp spray is probably bad advice. It clearly states on the can that it is a crime to use that product in a manner other than what it is intended for.
Because they say it is a crime, does not make it so.

Werespaz

Post by Werespaz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:52 pm

maldon007 wrote:
Big D wrote:The wasp spray is probably bad advice. It clearly states on the can that it is a crime to use that product in a manner other than what it is intended for.
Because they say it is a crime, does not make it so.
They are likely saying that to cover their own ass legally. Of course, if you use it on a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant, you could probably still sue.

I think it's a great idea. I have a can at my desk (because we actually have a problem with wasps) and would use it in a heartbeat if I thought my life was in danger. Especially since they don't let me carry at work. :(

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:29 am

Wasp spray

Pros- 20+ feet range, narrow stream, very accurate. The big cans have a TON of juice & propellant, so you can fight crime all day. If sprayed directly into the face, it MAY incapacitate an attacker, and might do longer lasting damage as well. It is generally innocuous, at least to average people, and can be kept at work or anywhere oc might raise too many eyebrows.

Cons- ...MAY incapacitate, so it very well may not. In my many uses of wasp spray, and more than a few times getting a little in my face, it did not bother me even a little bit. And while wasp spray may look innocent to most people, it is well known "on the internet" as a suggested defence tool. So unless your in the garden, when attacked... Any jury involved will be told- "he/she obviously planned to spray someone with it, since it was kept on/in a night stand/desk drawer/etc. and not out in the garage/shed!" And since you are expected to know it may cause serious harm (label), assume it will be treated like a deadly/dangerous weapon. As far as federal trouble, for "misuse of pestcide" it seems unlikely, but possible. If you have little kids, safely keeping it handy might not be so easy.

Oc spray

Pros- Actually designed to be used & tested against people. Proven to, at least partially, incapacitate. Legal in all 50 (with restrictions in a few). Viewed by most people as a non-lethal weapon, defensive only, in nature, with short term effects. They DO make it in larger cans, that shoot just as far (or close) as wasp spray. I cant foresee a set of circumstances, where I would rather have a jury be told I used deadly poison on an attacker, instead of an accepted non-lethal, like oc. In the very few times I have sprayed oc (never in anger), every time I ended up with back-spray & noticeable effects. Only once was it what I would call "incapacitating" (the other times, it was just annoying/distracting), but this was just the "mist" from the main stream, falling or blown back, the shit works. It has a safety to keep kids from spraying each other.

cons- You may get some on you when you use it, but if used right (unlike me, just playing with it), it should be minimal. It will not "put a guy down" like a taser, or high end stun gun. Is restricted in some states, as to size, age for legal carry, where to buy, etc.

So, wasp spray as a defence, which at first seemed like a pretty good idea to me, has now (after actually researching a bit) moved into the class of weapons with- throwing stars, whips, blow-guns, and other mall-ninja buki.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:00 am

I have to jump in here. I'm a (semi) retired Billy Bad Ass. I've been fighting assholes my entire life from NYC to Iraq. From Iraq to Belgrade. From Albania to Sarajevo. At 50 + I just quit my night job working as a bouncer at one of the most ghetto establishments in the Tidewater Area of Virginia.

I have and will continue to use ANYTHING and EVERYTHING at my immediate disposal to eliminate ANYONE that threatens my life or the lives of those I love.

I have used ashtrays, chairs, tables, pool cues, pool balls, D-cell MagLights, baseball bats, a Lawn Dart, knives, rope, aquariums, firearms, cars, bottles, beer mugs, darts, candles, other peoples heads, jackets, boards, boiling oil, coffee pots, a toilet seat, moonshine rakija and a lighter, cans of food, nails and a whole bunch of other shit to make sure that I went home that night and the badguy(s) didn't.

I don't give a damn about warning labels. I just give a damn about eliminating the threat. Save your life first, worry about legal actions later.
Last edited by ODA 226 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

ei8htx
BANNED

Post by ei8htx » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:28 am

ODA wrote: I just quit my night job working as a bouncer at one of the most ghetto establishments in the Tidewater Area of Virginia.
:lol: I know exactly how you feel, just last year I worked as a bouncer at one of the most ghetto-ass clubs in VA Beach.

OT: I've heard of the wasp spray thing, personally I think OC is the way to go; for backblast more than anything. You WILL get hit with backblast if you spray someone.

SteelWolf

Post by SteelWolf » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:30 am

Wanted to add something.

When I got back from Iraq in 2008, I was offered a job with a local alarm company. Not as a tech, but as an armed alarm response guard. The current winter storms reminded me of something.

On SEVERELY windy and rainy days / nights, windows (and occasionally doors) would be rattled so severely that the break in sensors would be tripped. What did this mean? I had so many alarms comein at once I couldn't respond to them all. Tucson Police got pretty slowed down too. 9 times out of 10, it was just high winds. I saw a few break ins (of course I arrived after the fact. Not that I'd stop anyone for 10 bucks an hour...)

My point? If its a stormy night, I'd stay in and grab the shotgun. If I were an unscrupulous person, I would take advantage of the chaos... so why wouldn't a crook?

I also learned that alarm response is a VERY VERY LOW PRIORITY to LE... unless its a sunday at 11 am... you will get a whole district responding. I don't blame them... I'd say domestic violence and drug warrants require more attention. So, this means its UP TO YOU to defend your home.

And one more thing... some houses subscribed to a type of response that would allow a guard to enter their home and deactivate the alarm, check everything and re arm the system.

I DISCOURAGE THIS HIGHLY. Have your wife, dad, brother, friend, WEHOEVER do this for you. Someone you trust.

Again, I have morals and tyry to do the right thing, but COME ON - just because someone passed a back ground check to be a security guard doesn't mean they aren't a crook. And plus, do you trust sonmeone else to lock up properly?

One night one of my guards checked a residence, it was clear. Re armed alam - AND FORGOT TO LOCK THE FRONT DOOR as he left. 3 hours later, a second alarm goes off. Pima County Sheriffs beat me to it (luckily the deputy was 1 street over and heard the alarm). This time someone DID BEREAK IN. Apparently, he attempted to break in on the first alarm, watched our response from a car across the street, and then saw the guard NOT LOCK THE DOOR. DUH. He got caught and all property was returned thankfully.

I like the idea of alarms and monitoring companies... nowadays they watch for fire and flood (GREAT if you are out of town) but... do you trust some security guard to ENTER YOUR HOME and "reset and resecure" your premises? And not steal your shit in the process? And, probably increase your monthly premium?

Just some things to think about.
TEMS / Flight Paramedic. NRP, FP-C, TP-C.
OIF / OEF Combat Veteran
Owner / Chief Instructor of Archangel Dynamics, LLC. Come visit us for all of your Medical Preparedness needs!
Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:37 am

ODA 226 wrote:I have to jump in here. I'm a (semi) retired Billy Bad Ass. I've been fighting assholes my entire life from NYC to Iraq. From Iraq to Belgrade. From Albania to Sarajevo. At 50 + I just quit my night job working as a bouncer at one of the most ghetto establishments in the Tidewater Area of Virginia.

I have and will continue to use ANYTHING and EVERYTHING at my immediate disposal to eliminate ANYONE that threatens my life or the lives of those I love.

I have used ashtrays, chairs, tables, pool cues, pool balls, D-cell MagLights, baseball bats, a Lawn Dart, knives, rope, aquariums, firearms, cars, bottles, beer mugs, darts, candles, other peoples heads, jackets, boards, boiling oil, coffee pots, a toilet seat, moonshine rakija and a lighter, cans of food, nails and a whole bunch of other shit to make sure that I went home that night and the badguy(s) didn't.

I don't give a damn about warning labels. I just give a damn about eliminating the threat. Save your life first, worry about legal actions later.
I'm not nor have I ever been a Billy Badass. I'm really much more of a princess pussycakes. That's why I have guns at my disposal. Like you, I'll use whatever tool's at hand to save my life, but I try to make sure I have the best tools - those specifically designed for the job - whenever possible. Guns and OC trump lawn darts and wasp spray. Usually.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Post by Tribunal Power » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:55 am

Unless they make wasp spray in .45, I'll stick with my XD.

Seriously though, improvised weapons are only necessary if you don't have a real one. Granted, I live in a state that treats self-defense pretty nicely, but even when I lived in the People's Republic of Illinois I still kept my weapons nearby. You can keep your wasp spray, and I'll stick with my non-improvised weapons. Never much liked sprays anyhow because they often damage you as well-- that isn't for me.

If you want to light a room, you don't improvise a fire in your house. You buy a Goddamn lamp.

Everything else was interesting, though. If my keys had an alarm trigger, I would totally keep that in mind. Also that little bit about neighbors hearing one noise and waiting for a second one really made me think.

Mental note: if I hear something weird, I'm investigating immediately the first time.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:00 pm

squinty wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:I have to jump in here. I'm a (semi) retired Billy Bad Ass. I've been fighting assholes my entire life from NYC to Iraq. From Iraq to Belgrade. From Albania to Sarajevo. At 50 + I just quit my night job working as a bouncer at one of the most ghetto establishments in the Tidewater Area of Virginia.

I'm not nor have I ever been a Billy Badass. I'm really much more of a princess pussycakes. That's why I have guns at my disposal. Like you, I'll use whatever tool's at hand to save my life, but I try to make sure I have the best tools - those specifically designed for the job - whenever possible. Guns and OC trump lawn darts and wasp spray. Usually.
If you read everything I wrote, you'll see that FIREARMS were included! :wink: I have Virginia, New Hampshire and Utah CHP's BTW and carry my Springfield Micro-Compact .45ACP religiously. The point I was trying to make was one needs to use everything and ANYTHING at your disposal to put the badguy down regardless of "Legal Warning Labels"!
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

NapTime

Post by NapTime » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:40 pm

"Thank you for putting your spare key under the mat / under(in) the flowerpot / in the same fake rock everyone else has / on the hook 4 feet from the door."

It blows my mind when a neighbor asks me to feed the cat while they're out of town, and shows me the same hidden key spot as the last six houses. Just like it's pretty easy to guess where most people keep the silverware drawer in their kitchens, it's pretty easy to guess where most people stash their spare keys. I have no idea if real criminals ever do this, but I imagine you could find a spare key to every fourth house in a nice neighborhood if you snooped around at 4AM. All you need to do next is grab it, write down the address, then come back in coveralls once the homeowner's left for work. You know who questions the guy with the toolbox and coveralls who walks up to the door in broad daylight and has a key? Nobody.

tl;dr - don't hide your key in stupid places.

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:54 pm

This would make a good sticky thread.
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Done.

Klenzer, your original post was great and those are rules everyone should follow.

The wasp/bug spray, though, could be problematic from a legal standpoint.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”