mattdcknsn wrote:I have heard of using pool chlorine tablets to make bleach at home. They last longer than bottle bleach.
Makes sense, probably 100 times cheaper, per oz. than the same dry chemical with a "water purification" sticker on the bottle. And you dont have to worry about liquid spilling all over your gear, in your bob.
...googling to find conversion chart from liquid, to solid tab.
Also, SODIS sounds good... but viruses were mentioned, and SODIS doesnt seem to claim to kill those (unless I missed that). How prevalent are dangerous viruses in ground water, runoff, etc?
Oh yeah, this homemade filter seems like a cheap/effective and sturdy filter, when used with chemical treating, or maybe with SODIS to help flavor and remove heavy metals and such.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8VQk4isaOM
I'm not an expert on the viruses end of things, but I have installed wells and had to upgrade systems on wells quite a bit as a plumber. E.Coli is one nasty little bugger that can show up in wells, and something I've seen most often in wells near horse farms. Some of these wells were DEEP, too. So, yes, there are nasties that can get into, and travel with, ground water. For places with these problems, I've installed UV lights, and in some cases, chlorinators, to deal with them. No matter what is wrong with your well's water, there's a way to treat it, but some of them are so expensive that moving would be a lot cheaper than staying.
While I'm sure that sunlight, and it's UV light, WILL render water safe of creepy crawly nasties, what I'm concerned about is knowing how badly the water is contaminated in the first place- it isn't like most viruses can be seen with your Wal-Mart grade microscope, and really, who has the room to pack all this lab stuff in a pack? So, to me, it seems like a certain amount of faith is needed to decide when the water has had enough UV from sunlight on a given day. I remember one well we had to pull for a replacement, that had such a bad E.Coli problem, the well lines were coated nearly a half an inch thick in slime- apparently, the E. Coli. Needless to say, handwashing was done after that job at the first gas station we hit, and followed up with rubbing alcohol as a rinse, which we bought at the same station- there was no way I wanted to be taking any of THAT stuff home. We were lucky, no one got sick afterward, but a single rub of an eye or something like that could have gotten that crap into our systems.