AgentBlack wrote:Damn it! All the hot single chicks are dropping like flies.....WTF, the ZPAW suck!!!
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote:People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.
DAxx wrote:There was a rhythm to the beating wings of brilliance, can't you hear it?
There is terror in the heart of your silence, don't fear it, we will speak it clearly
Counting backwards into darkness from infinity, can't you hear me?
Woods Walker wrote:5. A bite from a baby venomous snake is more dangerous than an adult. I have read reports that a baby snake has more potent venom and don’t do dry bites. On the flip side it seems to me that adults have a great volume of venom. I believe it really doesn’t matter as both are potentially dangerous and should be equally respected.
ChaoticL0gic wrote:I read somewhere that most snake bite victims fall into a certain demographic. Intoxicated Males between the ages for 16 to 25. Bites normally occur just after the words "Hey, Hold my beer", " I know all about snakes" or "I saw this on Man Vs Wild".
College Station's Economic Development Director is at home recovering from a near-death experience.
An avid outdoorsman, David Gwin visits Sam Houston National Forest two to three times a month. Last Friday as Gwin was setting up camp in the dark in an undeveloped area, a western cottonmouth snake bit him twice in his right foot.
For the next hour and 15 minutes, Gwin says he was on the ground enduring seizures and convulsions among other reactions to the snake venom.
Gwin had a cell phone but there was no signal. He pulled himself up and got to his pickup that was 50 yards away.
With a standard transmission and a swelling right foot and leg, Gwin started driving back to College Station. In the Grimes County community of Richards at one in the morning he rolled through a stop sign, which got the attention of a sheriff's deputy.
Gwin says he wanted to be treated in College Station, so he was placed back in his truck and he drove himself to the emergency room.
Gwin, who admits he doesn't like being around sick people in the hospital, convinced doctors to release him, which was done Tuesday.
Doctors credited Gwin's build and physical condition for being able to survive the venoms, though there remains a concern about muscular damage in his right leg.
CitizenZ wrote:Most people are bitten by snakes when they step on them.
WhoShotJR wrote:CitizenZ wrote:Most people are bitten by snakes when they step on them.
That's what happened to a cousin of mine who lives in the next town from me about 8-10 years ago. Walked right outside her house at night, wearing shorts and sandals, stepped on a copperhead. She spent almost a week in the hospital, her leg was so swollen and discolored it looked like it would just fall off. She said the pain meds they gave her didn't make a dent in reducing the agony she was in. I've stepped very carefully ever since then, especially at night.
While I know very little about medicine, I can't see what the harm would be in using one of those suction kits to try and remove some of the venom. If you can get even a portion of the venom out, seems it would help. Just so long as one was using it while also getting to medical attention as fast as possible.
Necrodamus wrote:I was told by a snake-loving friend that this is true, but not for an obvious reason.
The adult does have much more venom and actually the venom is equal in potency.
The variation is due to control of the venom sacks.
Young snakes do not have the experience yet to control their venom and dump everything when they strike. Mature snakes retain their venom giving them more venomous hits.
silentpoet wrote:My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.
roOism wrote:I've also heard from time to time that you should try to capture the snake for the purpose of positively ID'ing the snake for making antivenin or something. I don't really see the logic in risking further bites from something that just pumped you full of necro-juice(see above link), but if it can be done safely, I suppose so maybe?
In the U.S. the only approved antivenom for pit viper (rattlesnake, copperhead and water moccasin) snakebite is based on a purified product made in sheep known as CroFab. It was approved by the FDA in October, 2000. U.S. coral snake antivenom is no longer manufactured, and remaining stocks of in-date antivenom for coral snakebite will expire in the Fall of 2009 leaving the U.S. without a Coral snake antivenom at this time (January, 2009). Efforts are being made to obtain approval for a coral snake antivenom produced in Mexico which would work against U.S. coral snakebite, but such approval remains speculative. In the absence of antivenom, all coral snakebite should be treated in a hospital by elective endotracheal intubation and mechanical ventilation until the effects of coral snake neurotoxins abate. It is important to remember that respiratory paralysis in coral snakebite can occur suddenly, often up to 12 or more hours after the bite, so intubation and ventilation should be employed in anticipation of respiratory failure and not after it occurs, when it may be too late.
KnightoftheRoc wrote:INow, for those who HAVE encountered a copperhead in person, let me ask- I've been told my whole life that copperheads carry with them a smell like that of cucumbers- have you noticed this smell?
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest