Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Re: Tips For College Students

Post by Ad'lan » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:45 pm

I don't know about the US ROTC program, but I joined the my University's OTC, and gained a lot. Issued Kit and Gucci kit, most of which I bought with money earned training. I gained extra qualifications and experience. I also knew of a place where I was known, had arms, had food and a perimeter 10 minutes from my halls. Some OTC's were even called up during the really harsh winters, so I can't really think of a better place to be as a student without the responsibility of a family, than helping out in a disaster, getting issued grub and possibly pay.

I found knowing how to do life's basics to be a major advantage. Being able to cook more than 3 kinds of meal, do your own laundry and clean up after yourself will make you a font of wisdom for some. Teach them, don't do for them, unless they pay you, I know of one guy who made drinking money that way, and got all his washing for free.

I'm not fully up to speed on american university costs, but in the UK, students live on grants and loans, and they can be interrupted or delayed. Having a big stock pile of the basics of food turns this into an inconvenience rather than an emergency. Walking or cycling to class rather than driving or by bus is fine so long as you have had breakfast :D If you are creative, you can even drink on your stock pile, most students would gladly provide the booze if you provide a big meal. I also instituted a rule for

Having hobbies outside your studies is good for you, and getting involved in society's is one of the best ways to meet people. I always felt those who just drank on every Chem Soc night missed out, meeting people from other disciplines is really useful and some will be great contacts later in life. You'd be surprised what societies will already exist. For example, a Society at my Uni had an allotment, and I went on wildfood gathering trips, Wild food actually made up some of the big meals, it's free after all .

Close examination of the hall/dorm rules is important. For example, at Whitworth park in Manchester Darts and Dart Boards are banned. Nothing in the rules about bows and arrows though. Nor about woodworking tools, which made all my wooden spoons and spatulas at Uni.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

MoHAlixPr

Post by MoHAlixPr » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:05 pm

LBB wrote:
MoHAlixPr wrote:Asbury University. In terms of Christian private schools they're in the bottom rung of strictness.
It depends...

We had student that had sex in the dorms, but their parents knew whoever and they stayed in school, while we had others that got caught doing this in a nearby park and they couldn't come back next semester.

So you can do whatever you want if you know someone, others would just get thrown out.

Lucky me, I can carry one of these as a tool, while people that have similar ones had to leave them with security.
Did you attend Asbury?

Whackpack7

Post by Whackpack7 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:25 pm

LBB wrote:
ajd266 wrote:Getting CERT certified in the area your campus is located could also make a good reason for having some of the items mentioned above. I don't know about everywhere, but the CERT classes around here are free. Also apart from my normal EDC, I have an electronics EDC pouch that resides in my backpack which has a Brunton Inspire, some short charge cables, small micro fiber cloth, extra thumb drive, and digital recorder for lectures. That pouch has come in handy more times than I can count.
Actually the best way would be to get the school interested in CERT.
Or just be a firefighter, EMT, regional response, HAZMAT, and USAR certified and know every cop in the area addition to that. Never really have been into CERT since we tell them what to do at disasters and in ICS.

supermarvio

Post by supermarvio » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:19 pm

I work and have attended the University of Minnesota. A few times a month we get a Police Safety alert in our campus e-mail about how some poor soul was attacked/mugged while walking around campus late at night. What I have noticed is that a lot of the student body walks around with headphones on. It becomes increasingly frustrating when you almost hit one of them while they're walking on a don't walk signal while heavy auto traffic has the green light simply because they're not paying attention to their surroundings. That's beside the point though. a lot of times these kids are attacked from behind. That being said, college kids don't walk around the streets late at night with your headphones on. That's just indicating to someone you have something worth stealing plus it makes you less aware of what's going on around you.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:41 am

Best advice: Get a degree in something that is marketable. Majoring in "Far Eastern Philosophy During The 16th Century" won't pay the bills, even if it does make you happy. If you won't change your mind, pick up a few computer programming classes as electives. Even in today's economy, there are computer programming jobs to be had.

Second best advice: DO NOT POST PICS TO FACEBOOK THAT MIGHT AFFECT YOU GETTING A JOB!! Yea, it's all fun showing you getting stoned/drunk, but employers DO look at it!

Now prep advice: whenever stuff is free (and I don't mean stealing it), pick up one or 2 (don't be an asshat and take handfuls): Such as matches at a restaurant/bar, packs of plastic silverware, or condiments. Now throw them in your BOB.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:20 pm

For some places, having a baseball bat alone in the car can be classified as a weapon. If you're gonna have a bat in the car. Throw in an old mitt and ball as well.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:47 pm

MoHAlixPr wrote:Asbury University. In terms of Christian private schools they're in the bottom rung of strictness.
One thing to be aware of, is that some of these places also try to enforce their rules on outsiders...

A girl who was in my group of friends ended up going to Cedarville (in Yellow Springs, OH).

The code of conduct she had to sign actually prohibited her from going out to the clubs with us (she never drank, just liked to dance...). She was legitimately concerned that if she went with us over the summer, that if anybody saw her, she could lose her scholarship and be kicked out of school... We had to point out to her that school was NOT in session, and that any of her fellow students who saw her at the club, were ALSO at the club (which was about 100 miles from the campus)...

When I went to visit her on campus once, I actually was confronted by their rent a cop squad for violating the dress code (I was waiting for her on the sidewalk, since I wasn't even allowed IN the LOBBY of her Dorm.... And my button up shirt, worn over a t-shirt, wasn't tucked in completely...) When I informed him that I was not a student, I was waiting for a friend, and he needed to please back up out of my personal space, he continued to drill in on me and told me I was required (under what authority, I have no idea...) to tuck in my shirt because I was violating the dress code.

In order to not cause my friend issues, I complied.

And I won't even get into some of the propaganda stuff that they were filling their heads with about how they were a persecuted minority and how everybody was out to get them...
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:00 am

Just a few suggestions:

1) If you are just starting school and are living in the campus dorms, be sure to know the school policy about knives. That 4" fixed blade you want to EDC or keep in your BOB might be against school policy and get you into trouble if someone found out about it.

2) Most in the 20 and under generation are so used to using the Internet and TV for news information, that it could be easy for some to forget the value of radio in an emergency situation. Kaito and Sony both make good tiny little portable radios that could be invaluable:
http://www.amazon.com/Kaito-KA200-Pocke ... 00408K36Y/
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICF-S10MK2-P ... 00020S7XK/
They won't win any awards for sound quality, but I love the Kaito for its small size for packing in a BOB.

For EDC, consider a Sansa Clip+ or Sansa Clip Zip. These inexpensive MP3 players from SanDisk are often described as similar to iPod Classic sound quality. Only they have FM radio capability. So you'd always have the means of getting news in the event that Internet and cable goes out. And don't let their small capacity fool you. They take micro SD cards, so you can expand the storage size by 32 GB for under $20.

3) For general preparedness, most college students should definitely have some basic beans and rice food storage as an initial prep. It's not expensive to put away several weeks supply, easy to learn to cook (for you guys with limited cooking skills), and something you can cycle into your regular menu for cooking. And definitely way better for you than trying to survive on Ramen Noodles if/when you get that month where bills overwhelm you and you are cash poor--you can tap into your beans and rice stores.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:34 pm

Two other tips that occurred to me

1) Get a backup portable battery, like this Anker, and keep it charged and in your school bag
http://www.amazon.com/10000mAh-Dual-Por ... 009USAJCC/

I've noticed that many college students tend to run down their cell phone batteries, a device you will need during emergencies. Some of it is from use (so much texting or playing games). But also, I've noticed that cell phones sometimes tend to use up a lot of juice on a college campus if you have wifi enabled, because it may have to be constantly (and not always successfully) reconnecting to the wifi network.

So if you find your are running your phone batter down, the backup charger would be useful in day to day living and can be helpful to give your phone or mp3 player a little extra juice while on the go. Or if the simple preparedness situation of the power goes out while you are at home, being able to charge up your phone and mp3 player and use them for entertainment can be nice.

Get a battery that is a good bit more powerful than your phone because
(a) You can only actually use something like 70 to 80% capacity of the backup battery device to charge your phone.
(b) If you use the backup battery a lot (or run it down too far a lot), it's lithium battery capacity will decrease some over time. Having a bit more power means that in 3 or 4 years, it could still be giving you a good charge on your phone
(c) A more powerful battery could give a tablet a decent (but not necessarily full) charge.
(d) In a real disaster situation, being able to give your phone more than just a single charge could be helpful.

I would recommend 10,000 mAh or a little higher. Check slickdeals.net once a day for a few weeks. There are often good deals on portable backup batteries.

2) A miniature LED lantern is handy to have if the power goes out. I have had good luck with the Ultimate Survival Technologies Pico and Coleman MicroPacker lanterns. Safer than candles (I wouldn't have trusted some of my roommates with having lit flames in the house). Might be a good time, too, to buy some rechargeable AA/AAA batteries to use with the lantern and any other devices that use batteries--a worthwhile long term investment. Look into the top model (white label) Amazon Basics. They are rebranded Eneloops, some of the best low discharge batteries you can get.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:47 pm

Sorry for spamming with an additional post. I teach at a college, so I keep coming up with ideas :)

Most colleges now have emergency contact systems that allow them to send texts and/or voice messages. In addition to emergencies where they might need to contact all students, faculty and staff, they also use them to notify you of school closing dues to weather or power outages. So a big plus even just for regular life as a college student.

Be sure

1) That you are subscribed to that system. Some schools it is opt in. Some it is automatic.
2) That you are subscribed with your mobile phone #. Some students set their parents home phones as their primary contact phone method for the institution, and the system could be using that. Besides, you want to have your mobile phone set as your primary contact number anyway in case the university needs to get in touch with you for some other reason.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:31 am

KentsOkay wrote:
Deenie7 wrote:I also suggest carrying more than one condom at a time. :D
I generally have 5 on me when in"about campus and parties" mode. 3 Durex or Crown, and 2 non latex.

I would elaborate but I don't want to sully the good name I have built up here.
I know this is a necro, but I want to toss this out there.

DO NOT TRUST DUREX CONDOMS!!!

***bout to get graphic***

We used to have a nickname for Durex but I can't say it on this forum. There is a reason they give them out free at many campus clinics. Plus, they run smaller and have more brittle rubber, which means if it isn't properly lubed, they will bust. If you are average size or bigger, it will bust. If you open the package wrong, it will bust. And bust isn't good in this scenario.... So spend the money on good stuff. Also, make sure it fits. There is an old "rule of themb" to measure by using a toilet paper roll. Look it up. You'd be surprised that there is a lot of science to condoms.

...Also never trust a chick who has her own condoms to be looking for a relationship and have an emergency fund for Plan B. Local pharmacies have them for $50 a pop. $50 might be a lot to a college kid, but how much does a baby cost?

And as they say in health class, abstinence is the only fail proof way. You take off the pants, you take a chance at taking in an STD or baby.

***graphic convo over***

-Leave lights on at night if you live near campus in a "college town" and are staying in town over breaks/holidays. Lots of break ins from people thinking no one will be home... ask me how I know.

-Always carry a good pen in your pocket when you leave. Helps with notes in class incase you don't have one or you can pull a Jason Bourne and use it as a weapon.

-If going out on the town, never carry wallet/keys/ID, etc in your coat pocket. Leave it in your pants because if you leave a jacket someplace, it will grow legs and leave, especially at a bar with alcohol involved.

-And if you can't handle yourself "out on the town" then make sure to limit yourself or have a buddy at all times. I have a lot of friends who would have gotten in fights, arrested, killed, etc if we didn't go out as a "crew" (goon squad, homies, whatever you want to call it)
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Return to “Urban Skillz”