Tips For College Students

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Whackpack7

Tips For College Students

Post by Whackpack7 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:34 pm

You are going to (or are in) college! Its an exciting and most likely welcomed change in your life, you get to go away from your parents and live on your own or with a room mate. You no longer have a bed time, and you can eat as much junk food as you'd like. Images from Animal House or American Pie pop into your head and you are bustling with excitement. But alas, you are also a 'prepper' or a 'survivalist', and bringing guns or your food stockpile to campus is most likely frowned upon to say the least... No, but really, you are in a brand new environment (with possibly new terrain or climate), with new people, different local customs or formalities (because YES they change even from county to county!), and you need to acclimate.

I have the luck to be basically getting paid to go to college in my home town, and I am spending part of that time living at home to cut other expenses on my family. Needless to say I didn't have to make major changes to my prepping, no where near as much as someone moving cross-country, but I did have to acclimate to being in the city more often. Here are some tips that aren't only geared to disaster survival, but to college survival in general, I really hope it helps.

First Thing First
Okay... As mentioned earlier many campuses have strict 'No Gun' rules for good reasons. Whether or not you agree with this, you need to abide by it. You don't want to go to jail or be expelled from your college. Be smart. You also need to understand that you can't have as much stuff as you may be accustom to at your home, but that you can still remain largely prepared and legal at the same time. For instance, if you are going to college in state and staying off campus, most likely you will be permitted to have a firearm in the apartment or house you are renting. You need to check with this first. Local laws or your landlord are great places to ask.

If you have your car:
I am aware many universities prefer for students use local public transit over cars, but if you do have your car and use it daily, there are things you can (or probably already do) to make things more at the ready. Place your BOB/GO Bag in your car. Back seat, trunk, etc. Make sure you have made it 'Campus Appropriate' meaning take your guns out of it... Additionally, if you don't already have one, make a quick vehicle emergency kit that is tailored to your vehicle. Throw in things that are good to have for YOUR vehicle since they are all different. Quart of oil, few bottles of water, spare fuses, small tool kit, etc. Stuff that is just good to have on hand and out of the way. I also keep spare turn signal bulbs and a few MRE's in my car on top of the other stuff. If I actually listed out this stuff I feel like I would be preaching to the choir. However, if you seriously want a list that is 100% fine and feel free to ask. If you don't want to ask there are many check lists on the forum or available through a Google search.

No car? No big, put it in your dorm or apartment. Realize though that you will have to then have to traverse from your class or other location back to retrieve it; which is where the next part comes into play.

Make an EDC Pouch
Okay, so you will most likely be walking from class to class carrying a backpack, purse, or bookbag. Not a ton of room for 'extra' stuff and no one wants to carry pounds of stuff on top of the heavy books and laptop. Your best bet is to get an EDC pouch. There are tons of options available. I prefer Maxpedition products, and here are a few examples:

Fatty Pocket Organizer
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Fat ... 7p1654.htm

EDC Pocket Organizer
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/E-D ... -7p961.htm

Both of these are cheap (don't argue, in perspective of what you are already spending for college this cheap) and are intentionally designed for people to use as an EDC pouch. You by no means need to run out and buy something, and any small pouch will work. The pouch can then be made into a small survival kit that you can move from purse to bag to backpack to duffel bag...you get the idea. Though it is small, it has enough room to carry items that you would need for a survival scenario. Here is what I carry in mine:

Gerber Multi-Tool
Small Silva Compass w/ Mirror
Topo Map of the Area
Campus Map
10 Water Purification Tabs
1 Gallon Bag
Condom
Streamlight ProTac AA
Red Chemlight
5 'Storm-Proof' Matches
Lint
2 Cotton Balls
Small Piece of Wax
Lighter
Cheapie Poncho
550 Cord, 20 Feet
4x4 Pads 5
5x9 ABD 2
2'' Gauze Roll
Band-Aids
General OTC Singles
10' Duct Tape, Wrapped on Gift Card
10' Electrical Tape " " "
P38 Can Opener
Cut-Off Pencil
Rite in Rain Notebook
Urban Survival Sheet Folded-Up
Duplicate Student ID

Yeah, thats a lot of stuff for one little pouch that I keep with me, and it might save your life or at least help you out in an emergency scenario. I highly recommend against buying one pre-made. Those kits typically (I said typically not always) are made of cheaper items that may not last. When you make your own, you can ensure that high quality items are added in and will serve you well. Trust me, a survival scenario is not the time to have to rely on cheap stuff or to be trying a off brand for the first time. Again, I'm not saying you have to spend a ton of money, but DO get tested and proven things to stake your life and safety on. Another advantage is that when you make your own, you can custom tailor it to you specifically and your AO.

Do a SitRep Daily/Weekly and Familiarize Yourself
I know at the age of a college kid the news is bland and boring, but its good to know whats going on in the world and where a potential threat may or may not come from. Pay attention to local things too. If you went from country living to city living (like I did) you may need to take some time to get an idea of problems associated with the city and how you can be better prepared to be there. Its not a bad idea to ask locals (or the police) where the bad parts of town are. If you are afraid of that sounding awkward or out of place, a good segue is to ask about good places to eat or park.

You also want to learn the area very well. As you saw, I still keep a campus map showing streets and buildings, but you shouldn't rely on it. Depending on the size of the city, some individuals may try to take advantage of non locals or people who aren't entirely familiar. Not only does being familiar help you to be more efficient and less 'touristy/dumb college kid' looking, it can help you get away during an emergency or potential violence. Your best bet is also once again to find a local and ask "what are some common local shortcuts to cut down on travel or traffic?"

Be Aware of Your Surroundings
So many young people get lost or caught up with little things that they may miss the big picture in a lot of cases. If you are in a large lecture-style class where you can hear well throughout the classroom (my professors use multiple screens and microphones), then sit in a position of tactical advantage. DON'T be creepy or tell your desk mate "oh yeah I sit here because its adventitious tactically"! You will get looks and attention you don't want. Its not even a big deal or day changer to do. Just sit somewhere you can see people and can see an egress point from the room. You go to a concert they tell you where the fire exits are. When you go to class you should take it upon yourself to locate exits for fire or other emergency. A large lecture room is a juicy opportunity for a shooter, especially with students not paying attention to whats going on around them. If it in ANY way effects how you partake in learning or how you view/hear the lecture then don't worry about it. Education comes first. It is just a thought to consider. In the event that you need to sit close, you can always sit with your back to a wall or corner, this also increases your overall view, and that way someone can't come from behind you.

Practice the buddy system when possible. Obviously in a highly populated area with dozens of students in daylight, not a big deal. Especially if you don't know many people or have consecutive classes with someone. At night however, or going out, very important. You [friends, roommate, etc.] need to watch out for one another and take care of one another whether it be in a survival scenario, or at a party.

Watch this video:
RUN. HIDE. FIGHT. Surviving an Active Shooter Event - English
'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcSwejU2D0

Have Fun
Okay... You are in college. Its gonna be fun, possibly one of the best times of your life. You have a million things going on and prepping is probably at the back burner. Don't let it get in the way of your studies, and don't let it rule your life or keep you from friends or having a good time. There are minute ways to enjoy college but still be prepared. Just because you go away doesn't mean that the preparedness should ever stop.

I plan to continue this thread if there is any interest at all. I intend for it to be ongoing.

MoHAlixPr

Re: Tips For College Students

Post by MoHAlixPr » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:49 am

Seeing as I am in college, I may be adding to this soon. :D

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:56 am

Knowing the main routes, and alternative routes, around campus are essential.

If there where an active shooter threat @Harvard, I know how to "evaporate" in 2/3rds of the buildings I frequent.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

MoHAlixPr

Post by MoHAlixPr » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:08 pm

What also awesome is our campus does a week long game of Humans vs Zombies every year, so I know all the best escape routes, hiding spots, and ways to stay low on campus. :D

ghost792

Post by ghost792 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:03 pm

Always, always, always carry your room keys/ID card. As stupid as it may sound, if your dorm's restrooms/showers are communal and not attached to your room, take your room key/ID card with you when you shower/go to the can. Getting locked out of your room, wearing just a towel, because your roommate left for class and locked the door behind him is not cool.

Deenie7
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness

Post by Deenie7 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Whackpack7 wrote:Urban Survival Sheet Folded-Up[/i]
I'm long out of college but was reading this thread because I'm looking for suggestions for my GHB (I work in downtown Chicago, many miles from my suburban home), but I can't for the life of me figure out what this item is.

I also suggest carrying more than one condom at a time. :D

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Deenie7 wrote:
Whackpack7 wrote:Urban Survival Sheet Folded-Up[/i]
I'm long out of college but was reading this thread because I'm looking for suggestions for my GHB (I work in downtown Chicago, many miles from my suburban home), but I can't for the life of me figure out what this item is.

I also suggest carrying more than one condom at a time. :D
And never in your wallet or pocket.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:13 pm

Carry a spare way to charge your cell phone, a few pieces of candy (for you or a diabetic friend), pocket first aid kit, know how long it will take you to walk home if you live off campus (2 hours). If it matters to you, there are many campuses that do allow CCW (like mine), most are out west. Move with your feet. Have some way to protect yourself, even if you are a big tough guy. Pepper spray works on just about every threat except Zeds. Get in shape; take a weightlifting, martial art, or general fitness class. Use your time in school to get some extra skills; car repair, wood working, welding, backpacking (so you know what a Bug Out would really be like). Along the last two lines, take a fun class every semester, it will keep your from burning out and snaping your gasket.
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:42 pm

Deenie7 wrote:I also suggest carrying more than one condom at a time. :D
I generally have 5 on me when in"about campus and parties" mode. 3 Durex or Crown, and 2 non latex.

I would elaborate but I don't want to sully the good name I have built up here.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

MoHAlixPr

Post by MoHAlixPr » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:07 pm

Posted elsewhere in the forum, but thought it was relevant to this thread. I'd like to see this get more active with any student-zombie squad members.

My dorm closet. Slowly making it suited for any disasters.

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger

Post by Tperkins » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:20 pm

I'm going to add more to this thread tomorrow, but I want to throw out that for a organizer, the Spec-Ops Pack Rat is my favorite, I have a few, and I know others vouch for it as well. Slightly more expensive, but much, much more storage space and organization.

http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-ge ... nizer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

MoHAlixPr

Post by MoHAlixPr » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:48 pm

The problem with jeans nowadays is I have no room for pocket organizers. All I have room for is my phone, wallet, knife, and keychain. XD This summer I plan on picking one up though because I plan on hitchhiking a bit and will be wearing cargo shorts/pants for the most part.

by-the-throat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dead Alive
Land of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Zombieland

Post by by-the-throat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:10 am

A couple other tips from a guy who dropped out of a very distinguished sociology program:

Look into martial arts clubs at your school. Many of them practice traditional weapons and being active in one can give you a convenient loophole for keeping longer blades or more "menacing" weapons in dorms.

RE: Rapid exit of a building-look for the cigarette butts, smokers usually know a few entrances, thoroughfares and exits that are not commonly used, especially if there is a "no smoking within 15 yards of the door" rule.

Sign up for the campus text alert system if there is one available. It could be the timely warning that saves your life.

Your university probably has free fitness facilities available. Use them. If you are a student and a large scale disaster occurs, your likelihood of bugging out on foot is pretty high.

Look over the course list for your university, especially the small elective courses; some of them are quite relevant to prepping like first aid, horticulture, or even disaster management. Be wary of some of the hiking\backpacking courses, though-many of them are designed with the recreational backpacker in mind.
From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."
Last Call, Last Stand - The Crystal Menage - SF in Babylon - REMC Guide

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Good points by the throat. I am a recreation major, so I had to take Backpacking, but ours is an entry level class for anyone interested, the hardcore stuff is saved for our more advanced classes. Find out who teaches it and ask questions if you have any doubts.
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

LBB

Post by LBB » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:01 pm

Whackpack7 wrote: Gerber Multi-Tool
Small Silva Compass w/ Mirror
10 Water Purification Tabs
Condom
Streamlight ProTac AA
5 'Storm-Proof' Matches
Lighter
550 Cord, 20 Feet
10' Duct Tape, Wrapped on Gift Card
10' Electrical Tape " " "
P38 Can Opener
There are some schools that might question you about any of these items.
And specially the cord and the lighter and the matches. Specially on a campus that doesn't allow smoking.

You can get in trouble for owning condoms as well. Don't ask.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:22 pm

I would love to see the college that tries to burn somebody for carrying condoms.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Frosty709
Favorite Zombie Movies: most of them

Post by Frosty709 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Pretty cool topic. I'll see what I can add. I'll be going to University next year, ROTP, so I'll be living off campus with ma lady, so I won't have any restrictions on what I can have there (only from what the landlord will say). A small survival kit is nothing in some of the backpack/messenger bags that most people use now a days.
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: Sorry.

Look at it this way. At least you aren't a zombie.

Or Pimpslick. :lol:
Follow me on twitter?

LBB

Post by LBB » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Doc Torr wrote:I would love to see the college that tries to burn somebody for carrying condoms.
Every Christian private university.

MoHAlixPr

Post by MoHAlixPr » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:04 am

LBB wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:I would love to see the college that tries to burn somebody for carrying condoms.
Aka mine. :D

LBB

Post by LBB » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:22 am

MoHAlixPr wrote:
LBB wrote:
Aka mine. :D
What's the name of it?

MoHAlixPr

Post by MoHAlixPr » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:56 pm

Asbury University. In terms of Christian private schools they're in the bottom rung of strictness.

LBB

Post by LBB » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:10 pm

MoHAlixPr wrote:Asbury University. In terms of Christian private schools they're in the bottom rung of strictness.
It depends...

We had student that had sex in the dorms, but their parents knew whoever and they stayed in school, while we had others that got caught doing this in a nearby park and they couldn't come back next semester.

So you can do whatever you want if you know someone, others would just get thrown out.

Lucky me, I can carry one of these as a tool, while people that have similar ones had to leave them with security.

ajd266

Post by ajd266 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:26 pm

Getting CERT certified in the area your campus is located could also make a good reason for having some of the items mentioned above. I don't know about everywhere, but the CERT classes around here are free. Also apart from my normal EDC, I have an electronics EDC pouch that resides in my backpack which has a Brunton Inspire, some short charge cables, small micro fiber cloth, extra thumb drive, and digital recorder for lectures. That pouch has come in handy more times than I can count.

LBB

Post by LBB » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:42 pm

ajd266 wrote:Getting CERT certified in the area your campus is located could also make a good reason for having some of the items mentioned above. I don't know about everywhere, but the CERT classes around here are free. Also apart from my normal EDC, I have an electronics EDC pouch that resides in my backpack which has a Brunton Inspire, some short charge cables, small micro fiber cloth, extra thumb drive, and digital recorder for lectures. That pouch has come in handy more times than I can count.
Actually the best way would be to get the school interested in CERT.

Return to “Urban Skillz”