Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Re: Civilian SERE training?

Post by Tobias05 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:22 am

chills1994 wrote:...Static electricity builds up on the outside of the helo and will zap the poo out of you.
:clap:

triggerhappy2006

Post by triggerhappy2006 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:45 pm

I hate reviving threads but this hasn't mentioned but I think it should have, I haven't been through a full SERE school by any means but the instructors who gave us our "brief lesson" were actual instructors. Here were their words of wisdom.... "Survival on land is easy, eat $hi* thats edible, drink water thats not contaminated, and if you do drink bad water, find uncontaminated water and drink a lot more, because your probably going to start S*&tting your brains out either way. Survival on the ocean sucks, but we are going to cover that by swimming a whole lot. Evasion is not being caught which means having more endurance than the enemy, so we will be doing a lot of running and rucking, knowing skills to not leave a trail helps too. The enemy has the advantage of swapping tired men out for fresh bodies, you don't have that luxury, so you get to run. Resistance is also easy (the unclassified portion), don't get caught, which means run faster. Escape is the final point, this involves....you guessed it running and swimming. Land Nav, survival foraging, and water purifying is easy, that can all be taught from a book, the most important lesson you can take from this course is run fast, swim faster and don't give up, because if the enemy catches you, there is only so much you can do"

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Badger24 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:08 pm

I don't think anyone has mentioned this survival school, Global Survival Institute. http://www.survivaltrainingohio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:24 pm

I doubt anyone could teach the 'resistance' part without risking lawsuits - it can be pretty rough, or so I understand. Also, the survival part is not as realistic as would normally be the case, as the thousands of trainees going through the courses have stripped the terrain of anything edible or useable years ago. You would do better at a tracking/survival school.

But keep in mind that, for tracking/survival, you have to be trained in the specific terrain you will be in; it does no good to learn the edible plants of the Amazon if you will end up in the jungles of Borneo; moreso if you actually end up in the Mojave.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:05 am

Personally, I'm looking into starting a "GoSERE Challenge", since there are threads here asking about "civilian SERE" courses. During the GoSERE challenge, you are stripped naked, doused with water, taped to a chair in the middle of a dark room where the temperature is about 50 degrees and there is a recording of a baby screaming 24/7, except periodically the baby stops screaming and bright lights come on. A 280 pound man enters the room and beats the shit out of you while another guy screams questions at you in a language that you can't understand and a very attractive woman laughs and tells you how small your penis is. Then, suddenly the lights go back off, the two guys and the woman leave, the door slams shut and the baby starts screaming again. Rinse and repeat.

If you can survive for 3 days, you get a beer and your clothes back! Do you think this is a good business concept?
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:58 am

ODA 226 wrote:If you can survive for 3 days, you get a beer and ...
What kind of beer? :lol:

Return to “Urban Skillz”