Hobo Hilton Homeless Living in Storage Area

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

knightoftheroad

Post by knightoftheroad » Thu May 31, 2012 2:14 am

The New York Post has an article on homeless people living in a 24 hour access storage building in Manhattan. Might be a good reminder of where to locate supplies and also who might be living near your supplies and if zombies invade, well, think carefully about where you bug out to...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manh ... OaqNBLgSUO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mariposa

Re: Hobo Hilton Homeless Living in Storage Area

Post by mariposa » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:43 pm

In the early '80s, people in Houston were living in these units, when oil crashed and the jobless rate was 14%.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:45 pm

It's all over, use "homeless living in storage unit"

You want folks should start squatting in building like in Europe?

The better question is "Why" these folks are in this lifestyle? I'll stop here.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

smokinbunta
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later, dawn of the dead(new version) RE 1, 2 & 3, night of the living dead, zombie land, the walking dead

Post by smokinbunta » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:01 pm

Manhattan Mini Storage’s general manager, Ylia A. Saldana, said there isn’t much the company can do.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manh ... z1wrdqNNV2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:roll: really? maybe try hiring a second night guard? cameras? call the cops? Sounds like management don't give a shit cause it's NYC and theres just not enough places for people to keep their stuff, so the storage facility is practically bullet proof from loosing business..

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:31 pm

smokinbunta wrote:
Manhattan Mini Storage’s general manager, Ylia A. Saldana, said there isn’t much the company can do.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manh ... z1wrdqNNV2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:roll: really? maybe try hiring a second night guard? cameras? call the cops? Sounds like management don't give a shit cause it's NYC and theres just not enough places for people to keep their stuff, so the storage facility is practically bullet proof from loosing business..
I am sure there is plenty they could do if the local fire marshal or city code compliance officer has any say on the subject
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:14 pm

TacAir wrote:It's all over, use "homeless living in storage unit"

You want folks should start squatting in building like in Europe?

The better question is "Why" these folks are in this lifestyle? I'll stop here.
We are going to be seeing much more of this type of "marginal housing" due to the fact that about 5 million people that are long term unemployed have just lost all unemployment benefits...

Before you all flame me about how they don't really want to work and look around you... These are people like my ex, with a masters degree in education and 12 years classroom experience, and 13 years medical clerical(Lab) experience, that after looking very hard for almost 2 years finally found work for $12.00 an hour... In a frikken call center...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:37 pm

This idea is SO 1988... Am I the only one here who read Snow Crash?
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Florida_Tony

Post by Florida_Tony » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:43 pm

I agree with Dawgboy. We're going to see more and more of this over the next few years. (I'm not very optimistic about the state of our economy.)

deMaccusweil
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, 28 days later,

Post by deMaccusweil » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:48 pm

I am sure they will listen to reason...

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:50 pm

Dabster wrote:This idea is SO 1988... Am I the only one here who read Snow Crash?
Nope.

But I agree the economy has a lot to do with it...
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:04 am

This is nothing new. About 6 years ago I investigated a Burglary at one of those nation wide francise storage facilities on Long Island NY. A guy lived in the unit for a week or so and broke into other units while there. It was all caught on video and I got a nice little trip to Fla. to pick him up on the warrant. :D
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Darkhorse-

Post by -Darkhorse- » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:31 pm

@Dabster - I love that book and I'm reading you loud and clear.

ellemir

Post by ellemir » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Back in the late 80s I was at Uni in London, UK. My then boyfriend lived in Halls(would you say dorms?) in a small tower block served by 2 lifts. One served even floors and one the odd floors. One of the lifts stopped working and didn't get fixed. On prising open the door a little, after a few days we were getting curious, my boyfriend and his friend saw rucksacks and bedding etc, that made it apparent that someone was dossing there. This continued for several weeks before stopping.

I can only imagine that the person involved was either connected to the building supervisor or repair man, as otherwise they would have been found in short order. Or perhaps they emptied the place during work hours, but of course we were out at lectures then ( our halls was a 45 min journey across town from the college proper)

Of course at the time we had several couples living in single rooms including one pair who had created a mini flat, and the lift was larger than some rooms so it didn't seem so unusual. The cleaners turned a blind eye, some as a favour, some as a bribe, at least until the Uni started paying a bounty for every offence they legitimately reported. And after that, it was open season, I can't count the number of times my friend from the Middle East got raided because he needed to inject daily to deal with an enzyme deficiency. They couldn't fathom the legitimate medical reason for syringes. I have to admit there were quite a few mirror tiles left out with nutriasweet and razor blades as a half assed protest.

Anyway this is my long winded way of saying that I am not surprised and doubt this is a recent development. People in need will come up with very clever solutions.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:27 pm

NYC a lot of this is likely due to a lot of these folks don't have access to cars. For those with no car a storage unit would likely seem like a great way to get by.

On the West Coast rather than Storage units, folks tend to live out of their vehicles. Some might also store stuff in a storage unit and restock out of it but they tend not to live out of them like they do on the East coast. Seattle or Portland for example has huge amounts of people living in vehicles. These folks also tend to nomadicly travel up and down the I-5 corridor. You might find them in Eugene one week and Seattle the next. Definitely something to say about living in your vehicle over storage unit in that regard, it is mobile as long as you can afford the gas to keep it moving.

I had noticed many areas on the West coast where you will see 4 or 5 motor homes, 7-8 vans, and 10-15 cars lining the streets with shades over the fogged up windows. Obviously little vehicle living communities.

It is a good point though about the storage units. How with this sort of thing happening, it might not be wise to store your extra preps in one. Since once people start moving into them, your unattended supplies become likely to not be there when you try to recover them, or worse you might end up getting into a conflict if you show up to get your supplies and the folks living in the units see how much food your trying to take out of the place.

Defiantly good info to keep in mind.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:01 am

Not just NY or large urban areas...

Teevee news cameras provide a glimpse of the open-plan home fashioned out of a 12-ft.-by-25-ft. RV and boat storage unit in a long shed across the street from the I-10 East Golden Corral Restaurant. Prince and Charlomane Leonard have their home of 3 years all to themselves now, but they’re not happy about it: After a single 3-hour visit from Harris County’s Child Protective Services last month, the couple’s 6 children, ages 2 through 12, were removed from the home on McNair St. near Sheffield Blvd., which was declared an “unsafe environment” for the children. The Chronicle‘s Anita Hassan reports the Leonards had been planning to build a home for themselves on land they own in Liberty County, but couldn’t get a loan.
More at source
Last edited by TacAir on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:54 pm

Not gonna lie but I about 2 years ago I was going to lose my apartment and that was my second choice I considered moving into. First was out of my tent in a fairly secluded area by my work. The reason my tent beat out a storage shed because the sanitary situation, I rather dig a hole and do my business in that then in a coffee can or something.

But again this isn't anything new people do this all over, you can kinda compare it to shanty town around the world. Crappy economy, unaffordable housing, low pay, and very few other options. People need a roof over their head and will set up shop where they can.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

NWDub

Post by NWDub » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:25 pm

Ive been extremely poor. I made $10-12 an hour for a number of years and around here that was good. Housing is crazy expensive because of our urban growth boundaries. I see a lot of creativity like this. It's crazy to see 1 bedroom apartments for $1000 a month in the suburbs, closer to $1500 in the city. I ended up taking a job in a smaller town an hour away because rent was half the cost. I got a brand new (BRAND NEW!) 700sqft apartment for $600 a month.

Pretty sad to see how bad our housing situation has become. There's at least 1-2 homes on every block that are not occupied because of foreclosure but nobody is allowed to live in them.

I almost converted an old van into an RV and ran an extension cord out to plug into the city power for when they do christmas lights and such. Spray foam insulation on the inside, cot for a bed, put in some shelves and drawers... Wouldn't be bad. PO box for mail... Only reason I didn't is because I have a cat and that's just cruel.

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Open grave

Post by Apathy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:08 am

I was going to live in a truck camper for collage. Bathroom with shower, queen sized bed, small kitchen with everything (just really small), no roommates, a ladder that makes rooftop chillouts easy, a weird endless hot water heater from Europe, and a small dining table. You could fit about five people in there, so it would be great for camping.... I guess that's why they made them. Alas I moved in with some buddies instead. That no roommates thing is looking Better every day.

If you mix that with a part time job, a guy could live a way better life than in a "Hobo Hilton". Plus you don't have to break the law, unless you overstay you welcome at WalMart and refuse to leave when they tell you, or squat in front of peoples houses.

Homeless Folks in NYC got it wrong
Liebe läßt sich suchen, finden,
Niemals lernen, oder lehren,
Wer da will die Flamm' entzünden
Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

charlie505
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Resident evil, Shawn of the Dead

Post by charlie505 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:13 pm

When I first moved back to Manhattan in 2001, I used that facility to store my stuff.
Going there at night was scary back then. Hate to see what it looks like now.

On the plus side - i did meet some young people that set up a unit as an office - cell phones and laptops. A Manhattan mailing address for under 200 bucks a month! They were working on kicking off a distribution business for a now very popular energy drink!
10+ years later, I still run into them on the street, they are doing very well for themselves.

wyntyr

Post by wyntyr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:43 pm

Sorry if I'm sort of resurrecting an old thread here, but I used to manage a storage facility in Georgia and feel like I have a little I can add to this discussion.

Where I lived was Columbus, Georgia, likely known to some of you as "that town north of Fort Benning". I managed a storage facility on the more affluent northern side of town, and took it over from a manager who was canned for cooking the books, stealing from the company, etc. First thing I did was go through the facility and find all the units that were "red tagged" - out of commission for whatever reason (usually a leak that couldn't be fixed, etc.) Well, about 3/4 of the way through the facility I found one of our largest climate controlled units, a 10 x 25 (that, at the time, I think would have cost $220 a month - this was around 2004) that was red tagged and locked with a company lock - all of our locks were keyed alike, so anyone with access to one would have access to all.

Immediately upon opening the door to the unit I knew I had a problem. The whole place was set up as a living room / bedroom area. There was power run from an extension cord (plugged in to a nearby closet where we had an air conditioning unit, essentially) and a bed, bedside table with a lamp, a couch, a rug on the floor, a small bookshelf - this was not someone storing their goods. This was someone living in the unit, and it was easy to tell the difference. When someone's storing their stuff they generally shove it into as small a space as possible, whereas this had room to move around in.

Each of our units was alarmed - basically you had to punch in a security code, that would open the gate to our 24 hour facility and disarm the alarm on your unit. The alarm that sounded would sound in our office and would ring to the manager's cell phone, which of course was held by the guy who was stealing money from the company. I pulled up the history of the alarms for that unit and found that every evening, around 9:30 PM, the alarm would sound. I also saw that a company security code was being input into our keypad to open the gate. The scenario started making itself clear - the previous manager had given someone a company code, a key to company locks, and was allowing them to live in a unit placed "out of service" in our system, which would ensure that the unit was never rented. Looking back, the unit had been out of service for a little over two years.

After a chat with the regional manager as to how to proceed, I was asked to show up around 10 PM that evening to find out who was living in our facility and to politely insist that they get the hell out. (Regional manager didn't want the negative press of calling the cops and getting into the paper for having someone live there, undoubtedly giving other people bad ideas.) I carried my concealed carry weapon - a Polish P-64 Makarov - and went up there.

I found the person living in the unit easily, and she was surprised to see someone checking on her. She'd made an arrangement with the previous manager to allow her to live there, free of rent until she was able to get back on her feet - they went to church together, or that's the story she told me. She gave me a big sob story about having nowhere to go, but at that point my hands were bound, she needed to be gone. I gave her two more days to get moved out, but she'd been living rent free for two years and did have an income as a pizza delivery driver, so hopefully she was able to land on her feet.

I have other crazy stories from the storage facility, but that was the first one that came to mind.
"The Ant and The Grasshopper is the best children's story ever, and if you're on this forum, you should know why." - me

Hail HYDRA! Immortal HYDRA! We shall never die! Cut off one limb and two shall take its place! Hail HYDRA!

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:53 pm

wyntyr wrote:Sorry if I'm sort of resurrecting an old thread here, but I used to manage a storage facility in Georgia and feel like I have a little I can add to this discussion.
ZS actually encourages reviving threads rather than starting new ones. Or in this case to add new info.

I am sure there are a lot of interesting stories of folks living in storage units or other odd things that you could tell us as a manager of one.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:18 pm

When I went to college back in the 90's, there was a group of 5-15 people who lived in an old military issue tent under one of the bridges in Schenley park in Pittsburgh. I got to know the core guys as they always came to get coffee from the restaurant I worked in, and we had outside seating. Many folks moved in and out over the 3 years I knew about them, but for various reasons some liked to live this way, even in winter. I used to give a few of them the fried chicken that we were going to throw away. Most would never take it for free, but always wanted to trade something for it. I would get CD's, VHS tapes (mostly porn, not sure why), the occasional knife, etc, knick-knack type stuff that I am mostly sure was stolen. Most of it went directly in the trash, but it made them feel better, so I took it.

The guy who owned the tent told me flat out that he couldn't hold a job very long as his aversion to authority was too great, so he would day labor for cash to drink a few beers, food and smokes. He swore to me he never did drugs. The guy was a Vietnam vet, had a purple heart. Went to the VA on the hill to get his bi-polar meds. He just couldn't fit into what people think is normal in our society. A few of the guys ended up getting past the day labor, getting picked up on a full-time crew, and totally changing their life around. Some of them slunk off after getting beaten by the others for trying to steal for drugs.

I guess I wanted to share that story simply because this is not a new thing, and before anyone judges someone who lives this way, there may be other reasons for this lifestyle. Honestly, based upon the way people moved in and out of the group, it seemed like drifters knew where to find them, and understood their rules before even showing up.

Funny how something as simple as a forum post can make you think back on something you haven't thought about in years...
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:42 pm

I had a girlfriend that rented a storage unit behind her house mostly to keep stuff that she took to shows. She told me about the guy that rented the one next to her's that she had struck up a conversation with a few times. Seems that he was a Transvestite and he used his storage unit as a place he could dress up and be away from home and his wife who I guess didn't know anything. I had met him there one time but he was dressed as a man, the door was up so I looked in his unit and he had a rug, couch, TV, dresser , mirrors etc. . Next time I saw him he was dressed as a woman and vacuuming the rug he had put down.
My girlfriend told me she thought he "entertained" friends there too.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:14 pm

Its crazy to me that we have all these forclosed empty homes.

Way more than we have homeless people.

In detroit, which has its share of poor folks, the number of abandoned homes out numbers the homeless by a great deal. Yet they would rather bulldoze them than let the homeless live in them.

:crazy:

Return to “Urban Skillz”