Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

OCR
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZOMBIE LAND, BLACK SHEEP, SHAWN OF THE DEAD

Re: "wild meat" in the city

Post by OCR » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:10 am

Start raising rabbits and chickens in your back yard. The chickens will also lay eggs. Make shure you don't have a rooster unless you want the chicken eggs fertilized so you can replenish the chickens. Also start a good sized garden so you can grow food for the rabbits and chickens, your self also.
What is LIFE you ask? Well LIFE is that thing that takes a BIG FAT DUMP on all your HOPES and DREAMS. That is what LIFE is.

NGshooter17

Post by NGshooter17 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Dawgboy wrote:I have a gamo Whisper and it works very well for small game. only down side is how big it is... and it looks like a rifle...
I have the same rifle. Love it
“On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.”

shiddymunkie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by shiddymunkie » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:30 pm

OCR wrote:Start raising rabbits and chickens in your back yard. The chickens will also lay eggs. Make shure you don't have a rooster unless you want the chicken eggs fertilized so you can replenish the chickens. Also start a good sized garden so you can grow food for the rabbits and chickens, your self also.

This was what I was going to suggest. There aren't many (any) wild chickens where I live, but there are a ton of bunnies running around. By using a few bunny traps like the one below, I'm betting I could capture dozens of bunnies relatively quickly. Keep them in a large pen (chicken wire?) and let them vigorously breed as bunnies tend to do. I'm not sure how many would be enough to create a self-sustainable source of meat, but the general principle is definitely valid.

This is a goose/wild turkey trap, looks like it could be used for bunnies as well. I also have a lot of geese where I live -- it would probably be better to get a few of these to help diversify the type of game I can snag. I would try to breed anything I caught for obvious reasons, though geese (since they can fly) would be a bit more difficult to keep 'em where I want 'em.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Someone mentioned it but don't forget to look up. Pigeon are actually pretty good, I used to shoot one or 2 a couple times a week during the summer when I was a kid, strip the breast meat out and cook it up on the bbq before my parents got home. Even served it to my mom without telling her (I really should tell her one of these days). Growing up we had a family of raccoons that always wondered about in the back yard the mom and pop were HUGE and mean little bastards I could imagine that one of them could last you a while as real meat supplement in a SHTF situation.

Once again others have said it depending on the situation the supply of critters to feed you/family will probably deplete rather quickly. So catch what you can, preserve it while you can, and use it for later. That's my theory, plus I cant imagine pigeon getting culled quickly with the massive amount of numbers they have.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:42 pm

Never underestimate the voraciousness of the human species...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Pigeon
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Dawgboy wrote:Never underestimate the voraciousness of the human species...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Pigeon

That sir is insane..... Thanks for sharing
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Jsimmonsgr

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:39 pm

njcioffi wrote:
fixinto wrote:Try the colibris they are no louder than an air gun and for the price of a decent air gun I have a few thousand of these which should see me through just fine.
Have you hunted with them at all? The super colibris in a long barreled, closed action rifle are about as quiet as it gets (suppressed weapons included), but they have very little energy. I have not hunted with them because I know that they will not always penetrate even a soup can, and can't ethically justify using them on an animal. Has anyone used colibris or super colibri's on small game?

Use them on cotton tails in my backyard, click goes the firing pin, pop goes the rabbit. Seriously it sounds like you just punctured a football with an icepick. Its not a instant kill, the rabbits do scream and cry for a bit, but you can finish 'em with a knife at that point. Just aim for the side of the chest and get a nice lung shot, it takes out their ability to run and lets you have 'most' of the skin for other uses.
J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult
Rule#2 Dont be stingy with ammo, double tap!

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:27 pm

years ago I lived in a second floor apartment with a buddy of mine who would sit at the kitchen window and pop squirrels from the tree outside with a pellet pistol. We were both short on funds, so shake-n-bake squirrel was a nice augmentation to our diet. This was in a densely packed suburban neighborhood in NJ, and no one ever noticed (except the neighbor who's window was a rule #4 violation).

I imagine a "live trap" would also work well.
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:26 pm

I have been trying to think out of the box lately and so far I have found the 5 Gallon Squirrel Trap and 2 traditional snares: a squirrel pole, and a bird snare I think these would be extremely helpful in Urban Survival situations. I do worry about disease from the handling of Urban Pests like mice, rats, squirrels, and birds. Cooking the muscle/meat of the animal (no organs) to 170 degrees Fahrenheit and not eating any odorous or discolored meats should keep me safe. Anyways I thought I would share these Urban trapping ideas, thought the 5 gallon bucket was interesting most videos show it being used to catch mice or rats which could definitely be adopted for big city use.

I would likely make another variation to the 5 gallon squirrel trap: Dig a 2 foot deep hole to fit the diameter of the bucket and place the bucket above the hole. I worry that the squirrel may be able to get out and nobody wants to lose supper. This trap also has another set of pros and cons :The bucket can catch multiple critters Pro and the critters might fight or eat each other Con.

5 Gallon Squirrel Trap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aORyEgsaQa4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Urban Birds are said to carry many diseases so handling and or eating those birds might be risky.

Bird Snare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDNmiLa9_as" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Squirrel Pole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhLBXC4pz-c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I urge anyone who is thinking about trapping to check your traps at least twice a day morning and evening.

Here is a nice recipe to follow the 5 Gallon Trap.

http://io9.com/5931901/recipes-for-the-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... t-rat-meat

I made a completely seperate topic about this, but when I saw yours I thought I should paste it here as well.

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

Post by Arsenul » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:30 am

If it's a wild animal, you can hunt and kill it. No guns obviously but you can still kill them and hunt them.
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:33 am

Depends entirely on locale. Here in Podunk surprisingly you can not shoot anything in town legally, without adhering to certain specific guidelines. One of which is having a back stop. So my archery target is 4 feet from the south side of my house. Hunting is as illegal in town as pissing out your front door.

TLDR: Know you're local regulations.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Alpha_Zombie

Post by Alpha_Zombie » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Best advice I heard was get a sling shot. One of those marbles or a rock could crack bugs bunnys skull in half easily and quietly and its cheap.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:46 pm

yossarian wrote:
werepig wrote:Anyone have any plans on hunting/trapping after the apocalypse?
Pretty much everybody as far as I can tell. I wouldn't count on Peter Cottontail being around for long after your neighbors get hungry.
Boondock wrote:Let's not forget about the animals themselves and their instincts.

The rabbits and squirrels and chipmunks frolic in my yard only because no one's trying to kill and eat them.

In a PAW, as the animal population dwindles once it becomes open season, I'm guessing the survivors will migrate to safer locations.
I have snares, I have a bow and arrows, I have a slingshot. However I do not expect urban, suburban, or even rural animal populations to be around for long after PAW. Not only will our own hunting of them kill disperse or make them insanely cautious, but also what ever event causes our collapse will likely effect them too.

Even a purely man made event like economic collapse for example or man effected event like an EMP knocking out world power grid would cause ripple effects through the animal kingdom. For example, all those trucks are no longer shipping food into the cities, people are no longer wasting vast amounts of food that city scavengers feed on. Cockroaches rats and other vermin swarm out of the cities as they seek new food source. Where they encounter the suburban animals who are dealing with their own issues. Again and again animals migrate trying to find new balance. At the same time fires break out and are not stopped by our fire depts destroying huge areas of animal living space. Sewage systems get backed up and change water flow patterns. All sorts of little changes will effect how the animal kingdom reacts. But things will be chaos for them as much as us, until a new balance is found.

There will be huge population explosions of some animals (usually followed by quick collapse of populations), and others might disappear and not be seen again til post PAW.

While it is a good idea to be prepared to hunt and trap, it would be wise not to rely solely upon that. Having some stocks of food a good idea for those lean times when there is no game. And huge thing is to have some seed stocks. There is little excuse not to, seeds are cheap light and small. While it is good to start gardening now, even just storing seeds is better than not having any. Along with seeds, of course livestock is a good idea if you are able to.

If you weren't able to have livestock before PAW, during PAW something you might consider. Instead of eating Mr and Mrs bunny, live trap them and keep them as breeding stock for more bunnies. Instead of shooting all the pigeons, catch some and put them in a coop. If you can domesticate a few animals, you will be a lot better off than having to rely on hunting and trapping.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:27 pm

In AZ, tons of dove. Banded or collared (Eurasian something or other) is in season year round and a pellet gun works nicely.

Also, canals here are legal for fishing. carp, catfish, tilapia, small and largemouth bass, even trout are plentiful.

Canal doesn't mean sewer. Big game fishing culture here in the canals is much bigger than I was aware of until recently and I grew up in the Phoenix area.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:50 am

I have seen more deer in my little suburb just outside Philly then I would ever see hiking or hunting. Herds just sit around in nearby fields or in my backyard without a care in the world. Rabbits in my area are also plentiful, and you could walk up on one and get within 6 feet before it decides to take off. Squirrels are also everywhere and are loud, slow and dopey.

Like others have said though when the SHTF and everyone else in the area starts hunting for food, expect the wildlife population to drop quick. The animals that are left will not be laid back with humans, and will become more cagey and smart. Every walk around a overhunted area in a state game land during hunting season? You will most likely not see a single animal, and its so quiet you can hear a pin drop.

I have thought about it though, and I have a pellet gun, and a henry .22lr rifle that can shoot anything from Hi-Velocity .22lr to .22shorts. Before things dry up, I would be hunting game, and no one would even hear be do it.

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:34 am

I'm a big fan of conibears. Those things in bucket traps work wonders on most mammalian critters in an urban environment.

I also have quiet ways of utilizing projectiles if need be.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:48 am

Mikeyboy wrote:II have thought about it though, and I have a pellet gun, and a henry .22lr rifle that can shoot anything from Hi-Velocity .22lr to .22shorts. Before things dry up, I would be hunting game, and no one would even hear be do it.

You bring up a good point. Early in what ever event brings SHTF, there might still be plenty of game.

It might be a wise move if you believe that SHTF will last awhile to hunt and preserve as much meat as you can get. Even if you have plenty of canned goods, still going out to hunt or trap to bring in the game before it disappears could be a wise move. Saving those cans till you have no other choice. Not to mention it would give you a degree of OPSEC if your neighbors see your bringing home game, as they would likely assume your hunting due to not having stores of food.

Of course the one problem with this is in SHTF going out to hunt will put you at risk. During SHTF every time you go out of your home your risking getting attacked by robber. So that is something you would want to weigh in pros and cons of going out to hunt. What are the chances that someone out there might rob you for what you have. As things get more desperate it might be better to not go out and survive as long as possible off your stores rather than go out and put yourself at risk.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Tyndmyr

Post by Tyndmyr » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:53 am

I dunno... in a SHTF scenario, I suspect the usual patterns will all be disrupted. Sure, there will still be a few squirrels around, but for anything bigger, whatever the disaster is will likely affect animal movement patterns in some ways. I wouldn't count overly much on hunting. Early on, disruption makes hunting dicy, and later on, hunting pressure will have basically removed it as an option. You're not likely to get too much additional food from the occasional lucky encounter.

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:56 am

Pellet guns are fine, but I think slingshots and traps might be better off in an urban environment. Low profile and all.

As has already been said, animal populations will likely be decimated once food stops coming in. The best strategy is to be ready to go where all the other humans aren't.
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:00 am

Hope this thread isn't to old, but I came across this today and It reminded me of this topic.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=99b_1386281167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another thing to consider is breeding programs of rabbits and other edible animals.
Last edited by Slugg on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The future is for those who prepare.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:40 am

About that wild meat...

ZOONOTIC DISEASES TUTORIAL

All about the stuff that can kill you, even in an urban setting. Fun read.....

ZOONOTIC DISEASES are diseases caused by infectious agents that can be transmitted between (or are shared by) animals and humans.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:08 am

I made a post here on ZS about my squirrel trap in my city. I'm in the major Metro Detroit area and my city's only law about hunting/trapping is that you cannot use firearms and can't be the kind a dog can get caught up in. The pics of mine are gone, but it has the directions and materials.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... p#p1872731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The future is for those who prepare.

Return to “Urban Skillz”