"wild meat" in the city

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

werepig

"wild meat" in the city

Post by werepig » Sat May 12, 2012 12:29 pm

So on my way out the door to work today I saw a big plump rabbit sitting on my front lawn. Now I used to pop off rabbits and plop 'em in the stew pot all the time back on the farm. So I got to thinking I see a fair bit of small furry beasts like bunnies, squirrels etc and also geese in the golf greens and muskrats in a few public park ponds in my part of town. Now if the S hit the F in a big way you can bet your ass I'd eat the little buggers, but I don't think popping them with a .22 would very smart in a populated area and I'm not to familiar with trapping.

Anyone have any plans on hunting/trapping after the apocalypse?
Weapon: Cold Steel Gladius. Partner: Olivia Wilde. Them Song: Clint Mansell - Requiem for a Dream Remix!

I prep for zombies, because I like shooty-stabby things,and for the lulz.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: "wild meat" in the city

Post by yossarian » Sat May 12, 2012 12:34 pm

werepig wrote:Anyone have any plans on hunting/trapping after the apocalypse?
Pretty much everybody as far as I can tell. I wouldn't count on Peter Cottontail being around for long after your neighbors get hungry.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sat May 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Too bad hunting in the suburbs is not legal. I'm sitting by the pool with about 6 of the fattest dove I've ever seen in my tree and a pellet gun calling my name from inside the house. Too bad, a little jalapeño and bacon and I'd fire up the grill.

I'd imagine that there enough people in the neighborhood with the skills necessary to trap/hunt the "wild life" well enough they'd be depleted in short order.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Sat May 12, 2012 2:38 pm

I have a gamo Whisper and it works very well for small game. only down side is how big it is... and it looks like a rifle...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

JFlagg

Post by JFlagg » Sat May 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Caenus wrote:Too bad hunting in the suburbs is not legal. I'm sitting by the pool with about 6 of the fattest dove I've ever seen in my tree and a pellet gun calling my name from inside the house. Too bad, a little jalapeño and bacon and I'd fire up the grill.

I'd imagine that there enough people in the neighborhood with the skills necessary to trap/hunt the "wild life" well enough they'd be depleted in short order.
Its generally illegal to shoot a firearm in the city, but not illegal to hunt in the suburbs. Except maybe where you are... lol. I shoot deer all the time in the suburbs of St. Louis and its perfectly legal. Squirrels, rabbits, doves and the like I wouldn't even think twice.
"Watermelons, because they taste so much better than glass bottles when you shoot them with a machine gun"

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sat May 12, 2012 4:57 pm

JFlagg wrote:
Caenus wrote:Too bad hunting in the suburbs is not legal. I'm sitting by the pool with about 6 of the fattest dove I've ever seen in my tree and a pellet gun calling my name from inside the house. Too bad, a little jalapeño and bacon and I'd fire up the grill.

Its generally illegal to shoot a firearm in the city, but not illegal to hunt in the suburbs. Except maybe where you are... lol. I shoot deer all the time in the suburbs of St. Louis and its perfectly legal. Squirrels, rabbits, doves and the like I wouldn't even think twice.
It's actually restricted here specifically by map zones. It sucks.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat May 12, 2012 5:38 pm

While I'm sure you could get a few, don't count on them as a food source. As more people get hungry, the animals will get eaten pretty quickly.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat May 12, 2012 6:03 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:While I'm sure you could get a few, don't count on them as a food source. As more people get hungry, the animals will get eaten pretty quickly.
As will every scrap of green down to the dirt, and the roots dug out too.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat May 12, 2012 6:57 pm

Maybe not so much...

In Detroit City

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2009 ... /904020395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Detroit was once home to nearly 2 million people but has shrunk to a population of perhaps less than 900,000. It is estimated that a city the size of San Francisco could fit neatly within its empty lots. As nature abhors a vacuum, wildlife has moved in.

AND

When selecting the best raccoon carcass for the special holiday roast, both the connoisseur and the curious should remember this simple guideline: Look for the paw.

"The paw is old school," says Glemie Dean Beasley, a Detroit raccoon hunter and meat salesman. "It lets the customers know it's not a cat or dog."

Beasley, a 69-year-old retired truck driver who modestly refers to himself as the Coon Man, supplements his Social Security check with the sale of raccoon carcasses that go for as much $12 and can serve up to four. The pelts, too, are good for coats and hats and fetch up to $10 a hide.

While economic times are tough across Michigan as its people slog through a difficult and protracted deindustrialization, Beasley remains upbeat.

Where one man sees a vacant lot, Beasley sees a buffet.

Dinner is what and where you find it.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

fixinto

Post by fixinto » Sat May 12, 2012 8:46 pm

For quiet urban hunting in the PAW if you dont already have an air gun I suggest the super colibri

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or the sub sonic sniper

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have done pretty exhaustive testing on subsonic rounds for the 22lr and these by far are the quietest and I have taken squirrels and rabbits with both at about 60 feet.

werepig

Post by werepig » Sun May 13, 2012 7:15 am

phil_in_cs wrote:While I'm sure you could get a few, don't count on them as a food source. As more people get hungry, the animals will get eaten pretty quickly.
I realize that for sure. I was thinking I might be a good was to augment the food supply once in a wile.
Weapon: Cold Steel Gladius. Partner: Olivia Wilde. Them Song: Clint Mansell - Requiem for a Dream Remix!

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sun May 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Let's not forget about the animals themselves and their instincts.

The rabbits and squirrels and chipmunks frolic in my yard only because no one's trying to kill and eat them.

In a PAW, as the animal population dwindles once it becomes open season, I'm guessing the survivors will migrate to safer locations.

HMPlatinum

Post by HMPlatinum » Sun May 13, 2012 3:13 pm

Slingshot for Peter Cottontail?

Great videos, btw, JoergS.

Pretty quiet, as long as you don't miss.
- Sent via two rabid squirrels and a large slingshot (please catch and return the squirrels...they're special)

werepig

Post by werepig » Sun May 13, 2012 3:24 pm

Boondock wrote:Let's not forget about the animals themselves and their instincts.

The rabbits and squirrels and chipmunks frolic in my yard only because no one's trying to kill and eat them.

In a PAW, as the animal population dwindles once it becomes open season, I'm guessing the survivors will migrate to safer locations.
This very true. Then the poodle across the street it is.

PackLemming
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later.

Post by PackLemming » Sun May 13, 2012 3:26 pm

Every tom dick and harry in the UK has fishing equipment, meaning the rivers will be picked clean especially if the Roma gypsies drag net them like they have been doing over the last few years. Air rifle's are soon to get the typical draconian treatment by UK standards, either they are too powerful (over 12ft/lbs/e with common ammunition at the muzzle) requiring form filling bureaucracy for license registration that happens to be no different to the method of acquiring .22lr cartridge firearms and greater caliber's or they are JUST AS expensive to buy brandnew (under the legal limit of 12ft/lbs/e) as a working class 2nd-handed cartridge firearms ~ thus ensuring the majority of folk will not purchase one as a security investment. I mean slapping £650 onto the counter for a glorified blow gun is beyond many people's ability to justify. Shotgunning will certainly be the flavor of small game taking when the SHTF here simply because they are middle of the road when it concerns license application cost(s) and final cost of the projectile weapon + ammunition.

Small game will be decimated if the SHTF, and that includes the wild European piggies that have been reintroduced to woodland over the last few years to encourage re-population after previously being hunted to extinction by the hoorah henry's.
"I was only following the cursory instruction of users."

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:32 am

fixinto wrote:I have done pretty exhaustive testing on subsonic rounds for the 22lr and these by far are the quietest and I have taken squirrels and rabbits with both at about 60 feet.
Stick with the air rifle. A sub-sonic .22LR still sounds like a gunshot and the sound travels a very long way.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

fixinto

Post by fixinto » Sat May 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Try the colibris they are no louder than an air gun and for the price of a decent air gun I have a few thousand of these which should see me through just fine.

Mr_Sheesh

Post by Mr_Sheesh » Sun May 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Don't forget traps, there are varieties for everything from birds to squirrels, I wish I knew the title of one book I've read some time ago. A lot of traps are not super well documented. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_trapping and http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/sn ... index.html for a couple of examples. Likely there are other designs I've never seen, as mankind is pretty ingenious!

And for darn sure you'll want to keep your pets CLOSE to you, as traps etc. will catch pets as well as wildlife, you do NOT want your mousers to be hurt or die.
“Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” ― Albert Einstein

cbr900

Post by cbr900 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:22 pm

Id wager that if things got so bad you had to hunt for your food, the city would not be the place you would want to be.

njcioffi

Post by njcioffi » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:02 pm

fixinto wrote:Try the colibris they are no louder than an air gun and for the price of a decent air gun I have a few thousand of these which should see me through just fine.
Have you hunted with them at all? The super colibris in a long barreled, closed action rifle are about as quiet as it gets (suppressed weapons included), but they have very little energy. I have not hunted with them because I know that they will not always penetrate even a soup can, and can't ethically justify using them on an animal. Has anyone used colibris or super colibri's on small game?

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:45 pm

I have used the Aquila 60 grain subsonics out of a 10/22 and a ruger Mark III on ground Squirrels with great success, even though neither barrel is truly suited to it. I am told you can get great accuracy with a tighter twist... I did not find them to be inaccurate from the 10/22 in the under 50 foot shooting I have done with them. Btw, they hit pretty hard...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Illini Warrior
BANNED

Post by Illini Warrior » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:25 pm

going to be a million things to spend time on besides filling the pot ..... trapping as a "force multiplier" is crucial .... learning to run snares and DIY traps would be beneficial .... but an easier to learn route for squirrels and small birds are rat traps .... for $1.50 each they are a cheap prep tool
Illini Warrior

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:37 pm

I can attest to these working very well for catching squirrels...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Squirrelinato ... rrelinator
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:27 am

Well I have been gaining valuable skill using live traps. So far this year I have trapped five opossum's (opossim's? what's the plural of opossum?).

The last round of trapping was initiated by the fact that a ground hog had taken up residence under my shed. I havn't had any luck catching him but have caught two adult and three young opossum.

I may have persuaded the ground hog to move on however as I dumped a gallon of industrial strength ammonia down his burrow. There doesn't seem to be any new activity around there now. The wife and I are laughing about it though because we have a fenced back yard that our two dogs are out in off and on all day and night. I have been preparing to hold off a horde of Zombies, only to be overrun by animals. Apparently we have "city" dogs that don't know how to scare off critters. The little one does freak out over the mail truck everyday though. If TSHTF I figure I'll trap oppossum's till there on none left then just eat the dogs.

Return to “Urban Skillz”