Give up your addiction?

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

allofthemonkeys

Re: Give up your addiction?

Post by allofthemonkeys » Mon May 07, 2012 9:18 pm

My only addiction is my sweet tooth. My grandfather died of lung cancer when I was about the age when my peers would be starting and experimenting, so that kept me away from tobacco. I never had interest in alcohol, and after seeing people with withdrawl shakes count out coins to by a pack of smokes or a single can of beer when I worked at a gas station, it really made me not want to be hooked on anything. Plus it encourages me to get out of town when SHTF after dealing with some of the more 'interesting' people in my part of town.
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Mon May 07, 2012 9:32 pm

I like coffee and soda but I routinely give them up for various reasons from time to time.

Chocolate, however... :gonk: At least the withdrawl is purely psychological.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:04 pm

i must say that sugar is probably my worse, i can live without alcohol during weeks or even months, but BEWARE if i didn't eat anything sweet for more than 2 days, i become obsessed , aggressive and will have a headache.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Projo
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am Legend

Post by Projo » Mon May 07, 2012 11:55 pm

azrael99 wrote:i must say that sugar is probably my worse,
LOL, I hear that. Have you seen this?

dizie

Post by dizie » Tue May 08, 2012 7:50 pm

Went less then 24hrs with out my Mt dew. My forehead felt like it was going to xplode. Drank a dew and it went away.

I heard caffeine is more addictive then crack.

Drop Dead Zed

Post by Drop Dead Zed » Wed May 09, 2012 8:15 am

dizie wrote:Went less then 24hrs with out my Mt dew. My forehead felt like it was going to xplode. Drank a dew and it went away.

I heard caffeine is more addictive then crack.
Yeah but caffeine withdrawal is over in a day or two with nothing worse than headaches. Also caffeine doesn't turn you into a, dare I say it? Zombie.
There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.

dizie

Post by dizie » Wed May 09, 2012 2:45 pm

True, never robbed a old lady for some mt. dew!!!

fixinto

Post by fixinto » Sat May 12, 2012 8:53 pm

I am a smoker so I prep for it. Pipe tobacco can be canned and while it is best at certain humidity levels it wont kill you if its dry. So i usually order a few extra ounces here and there and can it and put it up for SHTF situations.

arrowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Location: Riding Shotgun on the Bang Bus out of the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by arrowolf » Fri May 18, 2012 11:11 am

I've never smoked.
I have a 2 beer limit when I even drink at all except at Chapter 19 Crystal Palace Punch Parties. Don't do the hard stuff cuz my stomach won't stand it.
I've never gambled.
Coffee and swearing are my last 2 vices and I am going to enjoy them to the fullest as long as I am able. I think half the stuff vac-packed in the stuff closet is coffee beans.
I've already gotten off most sugar and starch. I'll second the fact that getting off grains and sugar was like getting off crack.
Every cloud has a silver lining. Except the mushroom-shaped ones which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium-90.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:50 am

Another plus 1 on snuff being the hardest addiction to break.
When I was younger I had problems, lots of problems - I no longer have those problems but it has taken many may years. At my peak my problems were alcholol, snuff, various opiates, cannabis, other recreational drugs.
The doc at the treatment center, who at the time I thought of as being a baby eating, sadistic, satantic, zombie loving animal - told me that the next two weeks would be the worst in my life - and took everything.
It was the worst couple of weeks of my life, and the best. I came away clean - cold turkey on everything - except for the snuff, the docs told me that it was not at all uncommon. The success rate for quitting copenhagen is less than 1 percent, smoking is a lot better.
I have tried to quit a couple times since then but never could afford it. Along wiht all the other wonderful effects of snuff - it reduces my migraines or not having it increases the frequency, either way - no snuff means migraine. Migraine means Imitrex shot, Imitrex shot costs almost 200 USD for 2 I would be using 2 every 24 hours. 200 usd will buy me 6-8 weeks worth of snuff.
I no longer even have the desire to get back into recreational drugs, binge drinking ( I do now allow myself ot enjoy an occasional drink - just one and not very often), or anything related to my previous lifestyle. I still stop at 7-11 every wednesday for a roll of fresh cope, right off the truck. It is my vice and if TSHTF then heaven help those around me.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Fri May 18, 2012 3:43 pm

Blitzen2k5 wrote:I have, quite probably, the worst vice you can have legally. Dipping. I started it when I was 17 in the Army. We were out on extended movements and one guy brought several cans of dip with him. And the worst mistake I made was to take a dip. I was hooked after the third or fourth time.

The past 5 years I have tried hard to quit. Some will say not hard enough. But I have. From nicotine gum to patches to even chantix. But that chantix made me want to play chicken with a semi. So I stopped that. The longest I have actively quit on my own is 10 days. The longest medically was 3 weeks. When you hear people say quitting dipping is like quitting heroin they are correct. Its damn near like heroin withdrawals.

But here is the rub. Out of sight out of mind. I said the longest I have actively quit was 10 days. The longest I have quit is actually 2 years. When I lived in the Philippines and couldnt get the stuff. I had zero withdrawals and no desire whatsoever to dip. Why? I couldnt get it at all. So I guess my body and mind said "Hey we cant get it so why bother?" But the moment those jet airplane wheels hit the tarmac at LAX I wanted a dip and wanted one bad.

I will say this in my favor though. I have managed to push my dipping down to 2 times a day. One can lasts me a week. So that is good. And I have held it at that for a year. I am hoping with it being so low it will be easier to buck the habit. I am starting a new plan in a few weeks when I take my vacation. Going out to the boonies and stranding myself there for a week to test out bug out gear. Having a friend drop me off and pick me up in a week. And not taking a can with me. So hopefully the out of sight out of mind thing will kick in again and being such a small amount per day it will help me to stay quit when I come back. Well shall see.

Blitz
I dipped and chewed for 30 years. I woke up one morning 5 years ago and said to myself, "This shit is bad for me",threw the shit out and have never looked back! i
t's all about will-power brother.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Ronin67

Post by Ronin67 » Mon May 21, 2012 3:09 am

Don't worry. When it happens you'll give up your addictions one way or another.

Th0m9s0n

Post by Th0m9s0n » Mon May 21, 2012 10:37 pm

I've quit smoking smoking only once before and I only lasted forty-four days. I still smoke but i have managed to quit dip and I'm down from a pack a day to a pack every two days.

CannonDC
Favorite Zombie Movies: George A Romero - Dawn of the dead, Shaun of the dead, 28 days later among others... I prefer to read rather than watch

Post by CannonDC » Tue May 22, 2012 12:28 am

Ive been smoking for about 10yrs now and recently quit by using a BLU electronic cig I used to chew in h/s when I was in class because I couldnt smoke and I have literally never had a dip off of the campus grounds, I still drink, only socially though, and do find myself spending more than I like on booze at the bars.
Why are there 5 syllables in the word "Monosyllabic"?

biohazard808

Post by biohazard808 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:01 am

yeah this is a good thread, there is a plant called
Family :
Rubiaciae

Genus :
Mitragyna

Species :
speciosa
COMMON NAMES
Kratom; Ketum; Kakuam; Ithang; Thom
EFFECTS CLASSIFICATION
Stimulant; Depressant; Intoxicant
DESCRIPTION
Mitragyna speciosa is a leafy tree that grows from 3-15 meters tall. Its leaves contain mitragynine and are chewed as an opiate substitute and stimulant in Thailand and South-East Asia, primarily among the working class. It has a relatively long history of human use. it has been studied that when people are coming off of hard drugs, alcohol, this helps them to quit, it's benifits are like better than asprin, and it's natural!!! made into a tea, or sprinkled in yogurt

AsaadAlwadi

Post by AsaadAlwadi » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:57 am

I've been a tobacco user on and off since I was about 16. It's a filthy habit, and it was mostly American smokeless tobacco (dip). I hated spitting into a cup and my girlfriend hated it more than I did. Since about 2007 I've been using primarily Swedish snus. It's a smokeless type of tobacco that you put in your upper lip and don't spit. It's still addictive, and I'm sure its still bad for me. I use it about 6-9 months a year and give it up the rest of the time.

I've told myself, if I can't get snus (I order it online from Sweden) then I won't use any other form of tobacco. It's reduced harm but still not healthy.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:21 pm

AsaadAlwadi wrote:I've been a tobacco user on and off since I was about 16. It's a filthy habit, and it was mostly American smokeless tobacco (dip). I hated spitting into a cup and my girlfriend hated it more than I did. Since about 2007 I've been using primarily Swedish snus. It's a smokeless type of tobacco that you put in your upper lip and don't spit. It's still addictive, and I'm sure its still bad for me. I use it about 6-9 months a year and give it up the rest of the time.

I've told myself, if I can't get snus (I order it online from Sweden) then I won't use any other form of tobacco. It's reduced harm but still not healthy.
Snus is actually stronger and more dangerous than anything you can buy in the states. I did Snus for about 10 years when I was in the Balkans. I had a colleague from Norway that did Snus and he ended up losing a portion of his jaw due to cancer. Don't be stupid brother! Stop dipping Snus!
Bitka Sve Rešava!

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

AsaadAlwadi

Post by AsaadAlwadi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:59 am

ODA 226 wrote: Snus is actually stronger and more dangerous than anything you can buy in the states. I did Snus for about 10 years when I was in the Balkans. I had a colleague from Norway that did Snus and he ended up losing a portion of his jaw due to cancer. Don't be stupid brother! Stop dipping Snus!
I agree that is way stronger. When I used to use American smokeless tobacco I could literally throw 1/3-1/2 the can in my lip at once. I wouldnt usually use that much but the point was that I could. With snus I'd darn near pass out with a major buzz if I tried anything near that.

I appreciate the advice man. I'll definitely work on quitting. I'm going to have to.. I took 30 cans with me to China (I use 1 per week), and I'm on my last can now. No possible way of getting it now unless I wanted to ship it in from Sweden and even then I'm not going to bother. It would cost a HUGE amount of money to ship it to China most likely. Detox is on its way. :gonk:

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:52 pm

AsaadAlwadi wrote:
ODA 226 wrote: Snus is actually stronger and more dangerous than anything you can buy in the states. I did Snus for about 10 years when I was in the Balkans. I had a colleague from Norway that did Snus and he ended up losing a portion of his jaw due to cancer. Don't be stupid brother! Stop dipping Snus!
I agree that is way stronger. When I used to use American smokeless tobacco I could literally throw 1/3-1/2 the can in my lip at once. I wouldnt usually use that much but the point was that I could. With snus I'd darn near pass out with a major buzz if I tried anything near that.

I appreciate the advice man. I'll definitely work on quitting. I'm going to have to.. I took 30 cans with me to China (I use 1 per week), and I'm on my last can now. No possible way of getting it now unless I wanted to ship it in from Sweden and even then I'm not going to bother. It would cost a HUGE amount of money to ship it to China most likely. Detox is on its way. :gonk:
I would go through a tin of Snus in ONE DAY! That stuff is POISON brother and it WILL KILL YOU! My BP was extremely elevated when I was dipping Snus. Once I quit, my BP went down to an average of 125/90 and after a few weeks, it went down to 120/80. Just make a decision to stop that shit and just do it cold-turkey. You can do it and I'm here to help you.

Craig
Bitka Sve Rešava!

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:56 pm

ODA 226 wrote:
AsaadAlwadi wrote:

I would go through a tin of Snus in ONE DAY! That stuff is POISON brother and it WILL KILL YOU! My BP was extremely elevated when I was dipping Snus. Once I quit, my BP went down to an average of 125/90 and after a few weeks, it went down to 120/80. Just make a decision to stop that shit and just do it cold-turkey. You can do it and I'm here to help you.

Craig
Still smoke free but did gain 20 lbs that has got to go. To anyone reading this thread. What one person can do so can another. Take whatever monkey yea got on your back and toss it into the trash right now and never look back.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

forthewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later (I dont care if you think it is or not.) Zombie Land, Dawn of the Dead, Diary of the Dead. Land of the Dead was ok but John L. was the only half decent actor.

Post by forthewolf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:02 pm

I don't have many things I can say I'm addicted to, and to be honest I blame it mostly on me being a bit of a control freak, but also because I have had this question in the back of my mind for a long time. I dont want to be ruled by my overwhelming need to have one last sip or puff or twinky. I sure as hell dont want it to put me in a dangerous situation, and it also helps my wallet with funding one of my only addictions, buying gear. I mostly drink water because I dont really like much else, I dont even really like to many sweets. I do love the internet and I'll miss it when its gone but I'm sure I'll be to busy with other things to need to surf the web.
In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. -Tyler Durden

Deliver me from clever art, deliver me from Swedish furniture.-Tyler Durden

callista

Post by callista » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:09 pm

I'm addicted to caffeine, but it's an addiction I can kick in a few days if I need to. I know how my body handles caffeine withdrawal--I just get tension headaches for about three days. Tylenol takes the edge off them to the point that I can forget about them.

So if you tend to have only mild withdrawal symptoms, perhaps kicking a caffeine habit isn't necessary.
WARNING: This poster is prone to walls of text, unnecessary pedantry, grammatical nitpicking, and words with more letters than the US postal service. Approach at your own risk. Bring a dictionary.

aus_sneddon08

Post by aus_sneddon08 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:43 am

It's hard to give up when you have been doing it for years. But for health reasons, if the doctor told you so, you ain't got no choice.

Readphnx
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the living Dead remake, 28 Days Latter, 28 Weeks Later, Dawn of the Dead remake.

Post by Readphnx » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:30 am

I also use dip. Started early in the year using about a tin a week. After a few months I was up to almost a tin a day. I've spent the last two weeks cutting back on the amount I use. I've made myself wait till noon for my first dip and I try and only do it 3 times a day. My co-workers hate me until noon, I can feel my body wanting it but I've managed to knock the cravings back. I"m back to only using about 3 tins a week.
Jack of many trades master of none.

Return to “Urban Skillz”