Training to be unseen in the urban environment.

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NeverReady

Training to be unseen in the urban environment.

Post by NeverReady » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:46 pm

I was thinking about the huge packs I see everyone have and I couldn't help, but wonder how out of place you would seem with some giant backpack, whether that be camo or urban friendly, the sheer size would put you out of place...........Maybe........

I was wondering how many people venture outside in there urban gear just to see how people look at you, just to see how it feels to wear it in public, how you like the weight, how quickly can you move on foot, how long can you move on foot?

Anybody do any of these things? I am planning on making a few trips to the park and around the block. I will state one thing about my area, if you enter into a store they will either tell you to leave your pack up front because they all have theft problems with people who wear backpacks in the store, or if you actually get into the store, then they will ask to search it if you have been walking around for too long, which could be bad for those who carry fire arms, even legally carry. This could be a perfect opportunity for an individual to get your pack from you under so called "legitimate" circumstances.
Last edited by NeverReady on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EndOfTheRoad
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series

Re: Training to be unseen un the urban environment.

Post by EndOfTheRoad » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:48 pm

Best way is to get a trash bag and cut a hole in bottom then put it over your head. Then mess up your hair and put dirt on your face. The backpack ... well that goes in the shopping cart your gonna grab from the local grocery. I bet if you run that scenario you will get a lot less looks!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Training to be unseen in the urban environment.

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:54 pm

I think you may have the wrong idea. BOBs are for getting out of dodge. under no circumstances will I be wearing my BOB anywhere other than on my way to my BOL or on a training hike/run.

As far as blending in, you can use the search function to look up the "Grey Man" threads, which deal with being unnoticed.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

NeverReady

Post by NeverReady » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:28 pm

Doc Torr wrote:I think you may have the wrong idea. BOBs are for getting out of dodge. under no circumstances will I be wearing my BOB anywhere other than on my way to my BOL or on a training hike/run.

As far as blending in, you can use the search function to look up the "Grey Man" threads, which deal with being unnoticed.

I have been reading those threads and there are a lot of them, but if you have a specific thread you think is extra helpful, then I would like a recommendation.

I have a question about your response though. I don't understand why you disregard the idea that you won't be targeted on your way to your Bug Out Location. I understand that the BOB is for Bugging Out, but I still worry about the travel. I have to ask myself..........What if I don't have a vehicle or can't drive it? What if the streets are rioting and you need to literally walk out of town, like to a nearby city where you know you are out of the epicenter of the riot?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Ah. This is definitely fodder for the Grey Man threads.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=83971
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=44884

Trust me, what you're asking is well debated in both of these threads, it might just take you a minute to read through them all.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:03 pm

NeverReady wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:I think you may have the wrong idea. BOBs are for getting out of dodge. under no circumstances will I be wearing my BOB anywhere other than on my way to my BOL or on a training hike/run.

I have been reading those threads and there are a lot of them, but if you have a specific thread you think is extra helpful, then I would like a recommendation.

I have a question about your response though. I don't understand why you disregard the idea that you won't be targeted on your way to your Bug Out Location. I understand that the BOB is for Bugging Out, but I still worry about the travel. I have to ask myself..........What if I don't have a vehicle or can't drive it? What if the streets are rioting and you need to literally walk out of town, like to a nearby city where you know you are out of the epicenter of the riot?
I am the OP on this thread: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=83971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All info you need can be found there as Doc Torr said.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

ShovelBoy

Post by ShovelBoy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:22 pm

Tis a tricky one. Maybe dressing like a tourist and carrying a phrase book would help.

Seriously though, I'm not sure. If there's gangs of rioters rampaging through the streets then maybe the streets are a bad place to be.

Riots generally occur in commercial areas. Residential areas not so much unless they're shops above high streets etc. If you can head through residential areas then that's a good idea. Ares which are generally considered 'posh'. People living there will most likely be cotched up in their houses, and the rioters won't show up until the shops have been plundered. IMO, anyway. Riot pychology 101 :wink:
Every day I'm shovellin'

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:01 pm

ShovelBoy wrote:Tis a tricky one. Maybe dressing like a tourist and carrying a phrase book would help.

:
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

EODguy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Leigion

Post by EODguy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:08 pm

1. Look The Part: Dress down, nothing flashy, I love dickies, not a slob, not a business man, just a guy going to or from work, nothing intimidating, nothing that screams look at me. I carry a big key ring, look like a regular joe.

2. Stay with natural colors: All the cool exotic outdoor equipment that comes in a rainbow of color, forget about it. Don’t go to “Military or Blackwater Contractor” either. Look for good utilitarian gear and clothing colors.

3. Move with a purpose, don’t stand around, look like you are a thru visitor.

4. Avoid eye contact: Keep you head down, no mirrored sunglasses, no funny hats, head down, I like to keep a set of earbuds in without the music, less likely to draw someone into conversation, nod you head like your listening to music, not over exaggerated, just light head bob. You will be amazed at what others are saying around you if they think you cannot hear them.

5. Maintain situational awareness: Look for and plan for potential confrontations, move to the other side of the street if you see a crowd. Walk off the sidewalk if need be. Avoid choke points and areas with limited escape avenues (Allies). Like a NASCAR driver keep look far ahead, everything else close will still be in observed. Try this: have some one hold a piece of paper behind your head. Head straight up how far to you have to turn to see the paper? Chin down halfway to you chest, now how far before you see the paper.

Develop and practice you own skills. Oh and avoid conflict at all cost, but if conflict requires direct action, strike first, strike fast, then move from the area before anyone knows what happened.
Do em' do em' do the whole village!

Return to “Urban Skillz”