Fallout.

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

procyon

Re: Fallout.

Post by procyon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:50 pm

RadFoxUK wrote:ingesting gamma
You can't ingest gamma as it is EM radiation, anymore than you can ingest the beam of light from a flashlight.

And as DarkAxel pointed out, thermal neutrons can turn normal substances into unstable (radioactive) ones. Which when they decay will emit various forms of radiation.
Alpha decay is most often accompanied by gamma emission. Beta decay tends to only involve neutrino emission.
But both alpha and beta particles can cause cascade radiation when they impact other substances depending on the substance and relative energy. And that can cause addition gamma emission.

Better to just avoid the stuff.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

RadFoxUK

Post by RadFoxUK » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:03 am

I meant either breathing in or swallowing a material that emits gamma, beta and/or alpha radiation, such as fallout or irradiated food/drinks. Not literally ingesting gamma radiation alone, as I understand that, that is impossible.

JasonNorin

Post by JasonNorin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:13 am

It is kind of a hard thing to answer given that it occurred quite abruptly but for me, it is always a smart thing to do to always carry a utility knife wherever you guy. Swiss army knife is a best option..

mark9atq

Post by mark9atq » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:26 pm

Air burst vs ground burst.
Huge difference in the amount of fallout. If you see the blast you'll know which it is but be permantly blind.

Say your eyes are spared.
But you know a nuke flash when you see one. So you jump into the nearest closet with your ABC bugout bag
and slam the door, open you mouth and hold your hands over your ears and bend your knees leaning into all
the hanging clothes as a shock absorber.

One second later you hear the loudest 'BANG!' ever. The floor jumps up and the wall pounds your shoulder.
All the windows blow 'in' on the blast side of the house and 'out' on the leeward side.

Most of the landscaping shrubs and trees are burning around everyone elses home.
Luckily your home has none (on purpose) and the extra thick stucco has prevented the heat wave
from igniting your structure. All your neighbors homes begin to burn furiously.

Smoke fills the air. You leave the closet with the help of a crow-bar, and with a fire extinguisher
put out your burning drapes, carpet and sofa.

Then you put on your full ABC suit. Grab the precut aluminized plastic sheets, step ladder, and staple gun
and as quickly as possible seal close all your windows.
The dosimeter unit on your chest begins to beep loudly and you run back inside where its now pitch black
due to the aluminized window coverings. By head lamp light you survive..
Last edited by mark9atq on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mark9atq

Post by mark9atq » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:14 pm

The rule of thumb is have as much material between you and radiation sources as possible.
One reason why underground bomb shelters with air filtration rule.

http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p939.htm

Link to a how to build a simple underground shelter if you have 1 day warning. Rated good even 2 miles away from a 1 megaton air burst.

Of course you must be in it to survive. Not reading the news paper in your living room.

Reading it scared me worse than the thought of zombies.

It is so cheerfully matter of fact with drawing and pictures.
Suggests you tear down parts of you home for building materials if its all you
can get. After the bomb the home won't be there anyway.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:25 am

mark9atq wrote:Air burst vs ground burst.
Huge difference in the amount of fallout. If you see the blast you'll know which it is but be permantly blind.

Say your eyes are spared.
But you know a nuke flash when you see one. So you jump into the nearest closet with your ABC bugout bag
and slam the door, open you mouth and hold your hands over your ears and bend your knees leaning into all
the hanging clothes as a shock absorber.

One second later you hear the loudest 'BANG!' ever. The floor jumps up and the wall pounds your shoulder.
All the windows blow 'in' on the blast side of the house and 'out' on the leeward side.

Most of the landscaping shrubs and trees are burning around everyone elses home.
Luckily your home has none (on purpose) and the extra thick stucco has prevented the heat wave
from igniting your structure. All your neighbors homes begin to burn furiously.

Smoke fills the air. You leave the closet with the help of a crow-bar, and with a fire extinguisher
put out your burning drapes, carpet and sofa.

Then you put on your full ABC suit. Grab the precut aluminized plastic sheets, step ladder, and staple gun
and as quickly as possible seal close all your windows.
The dosimeter unit on your chest begins to beep loudly and you run back inside where its now pitch black
due to the aluminized window coverings. By head lamp light you survive..
As mentioned in the video Jnathan posted a few pages back, in a post 9/11, no more US/USSR cold war, world its more likely that a nuke will go off as part of a terrorist attack, so its more likely to be a ground burst than an air burst. The good thing is we will probably have some warning of an airburst occurring. We will have clues of things changing in the world, and news lead us to believe that the possibility that a state sponsored nuclear missile launch is imminent, that and the hope that if a missile is launched and is in flight, NORAD or your corresponding military organization will pick it up, and send out warning before it makes impact.

Honestly as of 2015, even if I was Russia or China and for some reason wanted to have a full scale nuclear attack on the US I would rather use sneaked in ground nukes in the initial attack, as to avoid the tell tale detection of nukes being launched from the attacking country and getting a US nuclear counter attack. Between missile defense system, launch detection , and having the possibility/scapegoat of stateless terrorism, I think ground detonation at a major city is much more likely these days.

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:24 am

jnathan wrote:This thread reminded me of Irwin Redliner's TED talk on Surviving a nuclear attack

-Jeff
This guy early on is expressing some opinions that make me doubt his knowledge on the subject(of course, he's a medical doctor, not a subject matter expert, even if he tries to present himself as such). He repeats the whole "M.A.D. was a policy..." meme. He knocks "duck and cover" ignoring that flying shrapnel is gonna cause a lot of immediate deaths/injuries. He completely glosses over backyard/basement shelters and makes no comment on use of public structures like schools as fallout shelters, other than saying that they existed.

Basically, he seems to be starting from the "nuclear war is unsurvivable" position. He says there's "no possibility of meaningful preparedness", which is hogwash. He's acting as if 2008 is the same as the mid 90s in terms of Russian nuclear security, etc. Basically, it seems to be he's trying to scare the hell out of people while pushing a nuclear disarmament agenda.

Return to “Urban Skillz”