Urban Exploration AKA Creeping

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

kf5ntj
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido, Dawn of the Dead, Deathwatch, American Mainstream Media

Re: Urban Exploration AKA Creeping

Post by kf5ntj » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:46 am

Jeez, I think if I saw an actual creeper during a (what we down here used to refer to as a) 'ninja attack', it wouldn't need to blow up, I'd probably just keel over from a heart attack.
In seriousness, though, When I was living in Denison, Tx, there were a TON of awesome places to creep. There was a cool abandoned school, and this weird house that had a bloody hospital bed and tons of trash in it. And once I was caught by the denision police during one of my many forays into the drainage system under the city (never got very far, because, well, it got narrow at points, but I didn't care, I was being INDIANA JONES, dagnabit!) That put an end to my urban adventuring days, realistically. Now I prefer to just cruise around legally and see what there is to see - I have (somewhere) a fairly involved map of parts of downtown San Antonio, measured off with a laser rangefinder and with as good an eye as I can muster. There are a lot of strange and spooky things right here in the Alamo City which are completely legally accessible.

Here's an interesting example:
At the Downtown Baptist Hospital (Or Baptist Medical Center, as it is now called) there is a doorway that opens out into open air, with a 12 foot drop underneath it (IIRC) I asked one of the doctors there once what it was, he told me (and I quote him) 'That's the old way into the psych ward'.
Wandering San Antonio's city streets at night may not have been the safest thing to do when one is a somewhat miscreant 16 year old, but I did learn a lot about the city.
-Seburiel KF5NTJ
146.520 Yaesu FT-817nd
Bersa Thunder
S&W Victory
12ga BOOM STICK

EricCogs

Post by EricCogs » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:28 pm

Electricity wrote: He meant how stoned.. ;p
Damn creepers.. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS (anyone? )
I got it :P.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Urbex is awesome, saved me from trouble quite a few times. Also just fun to do in free time. Trying doing it in groups it gets really hard cause that one assclown decides it would be funny if he kicked over something really noisy on the way by :x
Without humans this world could have thrived. With them it was destined to fall. Humans turned the question from if to when.

TheJakeMan

Post by TheJakeMan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:20 pm

There's an old abandoned asylum here in Indy. Central State Hospital for the Insane. A lot of people delve into Central State around this time of year. Haven't been there yet myself.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:02 pm

TheJakeMan wrote:There's an old abandoned asylum here in Indy. Central State Hospital for the Insane. A lot of people delve into Central State around this time of year. Haven't been there yet myself.
An interesting thing is that simply asking for permission, and thoroughly explaining yourself, can get you into some awesome URBEX areas. In some cases, it can even get you a tourguide of sorts.

If there's a security fence up, I'd call the number if the real estate management company that owns it. You'd be surprised what simply asking can get you.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

eugene

Post by eugene » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Co-worker of mine started bike riding shortly after I did to get himself in better shape. He will go to the city parks and ride until the official trails end then keep going. He'll find old houses, basements, etc. Found this old indoor horse racing training area, like a big barn with a completely indoor oval track.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

maverick12
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by maverick12 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:36 pm

Theres an abandoned movie theater a few blocks from my house. I know what im doing this weekend haha

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:11 pm

I grew up in St. Louis and me and some buddies used to run through this abandoned hospital near the Soulard area. We had face masks to avvoid asbestos, but had no idea that it can stick to your clothing and be inhaled later by accident. What I mean to say is, "Be careful kids!".
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:25 pm

maverick12 wrote:Theres an abandoned movie theater a few blocks from my house. I know what im doing this weekend haha
Just to keep all of this on the ZS level, say "I have the land owners permission." That way, it's legal. This is also how we can talk about improvised suppressors all day long by saying "If I had an ATF Form 1, I'd do this..."

maverick12
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by maverick12 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Dogan wrote:
maverick12 wrote:Theres an abandoned movie theater a few blocks from my house. I know what im doing this weekend haha
Just to keep all of this on the ZS level, say "I have the land owners permission." That way, it's legal. This is also how we can talk about improvised suppressors all day long by saying "If I had an ATF Form 1, I'd do this..."
With owners permission ill have some exploring to do this weekend.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:51 pm

maverick12 wrote:
Dogan wrote:
With owners permission ill have some exploring to do this weekend.
Excellent. Thank you.

And in that vein, I'm still working on getting the landowners' permission to explore an old shingle factory in my AO. The entire operation was under one roof, so there's one giant building filled with the remnants of tons of 1890-1930 industrial equipment. I've managed to track down a friend of the owner, so now it's just a waiting game for the owner to come back into the country since he said he wants to meet me in person before giving a yea or nay.

Fugglesby

Post by Fugglesby » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:42 am

Just last week I went down into one of Melbourne's famous drains for the first time. I was a bit overly paranoid, but once the nerves wore off it was a fantastic experience. The drain I went down is known as "The great stairway", a large tunnel with steps a metre high that continues for what seems like forever. Sometime soon I think I'll go in there again, but with more supplies and see how far in I can get. After that, maybe a trip to ANZAC cave, the meeting place of the legendary Cave Clan :ooh:

Krustofski
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by Krustofski » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:47 am

I like to combine Urban Exploration with geocaching. The "Lost Place" geocaches are pretty popular in Germany. It makes you get around.
Off the internet until further notice.

Carlosprite

Post by Carlosprite » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:54 pm

Fugglesby wrote:Just last week I went down into one of Melbourne's famous drains for the first time. I was a bit overly paranoid, but once the nerves wore off it was a fantastic experience. The drain I went down is known as "The great stairway", a large tunnel with steps a metre high that continues for what seems like forever. Sometime soon I think I'll go in there again, but with more supplies and see how far in I can get. After that, maybe a trip to ANZAC cave, the meeting place of the legendary Cave Clan :ooh:
Sounds sweet

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:44 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/dra ... 28865.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MoHAlixPr

Post by MoHAlixPr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:49 pm

Not urban exploration. When exploring the motto is take nothing but pictures and leave nothing behind. Graffiti goes against all of this.

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:14 am

MoHAlixPr wrote:
Not urban exploration. When exploring the motto is take nothing but pictures and leave nothing behind. Graffiti goes against all of this.
Unfortunately Mohair, people who explore underground tunnels and abandoned (but still owned) buildings (mostly illegally here in AU) come from a range of backgrounds including the graffiti people, with a range of personal moral and legal codes. It's semantics to label one illegal group as pure and other illegal groups as not. Does it depend upon the size of the graffiti? As here the 'official' underground Cave Clan leave markings. You could also argue that in the sewers/storm water drains important future archaeology is not going to be compromised by a few spray cans. If anything the story will be enhanced/made more interesting, as it involves more people from a later time strata.
(Note I don't particularly like either- too much pretentiousness and discrimination in anti cultures).

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

Post by Arsenul » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:31 am

It's awesome. Just Do It.
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

Return to “Urban Skillz”