Urban Exploration AKA Creeping

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

nomad211

Urban Exploration AKA Creeping

Post by nomad211 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:56 am

After reading "Creepers" by David Morrell (authour of Rambo) I became interested in what's called Urban Exploration & tried a little. Interesting lessons learned & practiced & being able to slip in & out of areas without dectection could be a life saver some day.
As always, we cannot discuss breaking any laws & one would be wise to avoid breaking any during their explorations. A criminal charge of trespassing will definately outlast all your stored food, LOL.
There's lots of places to practice/explore such as public parks, etc. & one lesson learned is the value of a mountain bike ! ! ! Great for quiet travel.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Urban Exploration AKA Creeping

Post by Dogan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:51 am

I will say this:
URBEX IS AWESOME! that's all.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

GlockASP
Favorite Zombie Movies: OMG, All of them

Post by GlockASP » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:09 pm

quackfiend wrote:I will say this:
Do tell.

I was doing this 25 years ago before it had a cool name. Although my parents and the cops had several for it "TRESPASSING" & "BREAKING AND ENTERING" are a few that come to mind (or so they kept telling me and my friends).

I grew up in a city that had tons of old leather factories and we would explore them all the time, full of chemicals and leather cutting machines with nice sharp and rusty blades. Most built around the turn of the century and defiantly not up to any serious building or safety codes.

One incident I will never forget. We let our selves in to one of the old leather factories just one block from my house. We were in there for several hours, checked out every inch of that building. We would even mark spots in the building that were "dead falls" of had rotting floors or stairs. That way when we came back it would be somewhat safer (lol yea right). So we had been in this building for at least 6-8 hours the day before, we knew every inch of this building (hell it was our new "club house"). We entered the building just about nine at night, our entry point was a boarded up window on the old loading dock, one pull and slide of a board and you were in. No one would ever know we had access to the place, the entire back of the building was over grown and nobody ever came there. We found fresh tire tracks in the front of the building, didn't think too much about it thought someone got luck in there parents car. When we got in to the building something just felt wrong, non of us could put a finger on it though, till we got close to the front door to the building, the chain was missing that held the two big wood doors together. We figured we had been invaded by some other group of kids, We were wrong. We found over ten five gallon gas cans all over the building, still full. Needless to say we scooted out of there as fast as shit through a goose. We could not tell the cops or our parents though, and hell even if we did they would not have believed us anyway. I was awoken the next night to a very bright light coming through my bedroom window. The flames were so high it was amazing. My friends and I tried to tell one of the cops that night, he told us to "get the hell out of here before you get hurt kid". They built a condo complex on the property several years later, I can only imagine the contamination from all of the chemicals that were in there.
Stuck behind enemy lines in the peoples republik of Massholes!

"Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem"
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
Kinda funny, for a state that takes and regulates your liberty's to such extremes to have this as the state motto.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult

urthshu
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, etc.

Post by urthshu » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:54 pm

Well, there's that stuff sure. Thing around here is old subway tunnels and some factories that are no more. Problems besides the building itself is other folks who are in there, living there or using it as a drug/rape den. Be careful, IOW.

A variation is to check out so-called "ghost towns" which oughta be right up any zombie hunters alley. They're popular with the metal-detector set. A really cool one in NY is Sharon Springs but they're in every state. [psst they'd make good BOLs]
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ny/sharonsprings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Let’s Add Graphic Warning Labels to the Communist Manifesto

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:01 am

GlockASP wrote:
quackfiend wrote:I will say this:
Do tell.

I was doing this 25 years ago before it had a cool name. Although my parents and the cops had several for it "TRESPASSING" & "BREAKING AND ENTERING" are a few that come to mind (or so they kept telling me and my friends).
I have excellent networks, and have done it twice legally, with the owners permission once and the owner themselves once.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:05 am

Urbex is great fun, my pinnacle moment so far was climbing up a crane that was being used to build a decently tall building heh.
Man is a beast of prey

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:07 am

the_alias wrote:Urbex is great fun, my pinnacle moment so far was climbing up a crane that was being used to build a decently tall building heh.
How high?

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:18 am

quackfiend wrote:
the_alias wrote:Urbex is great fun, my pinnacle moment so far was climbing up a crane that was being used to build a decently tall building heh.
How high?
The building behind this one, the tower block with the glass. Crane was another story higher at least when it was up
Man is a beast of prey

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:19 am

the_alias wrote:
quackfiend wrote:
How high?
The building behind this one, the tower block with the glass. Crane was another story higher at least when it was up
Damn! Highest I've ever been was 5 stories on a massive silo...

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:20 am

http://www.deutsches-architektur-forum. ... G_7341.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Better pic, the building on the right when it was being built.
Man is a beast of prey

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:24 am

the_alias wrote:http://www.deutsches-architektur-forum. ... G_7341.jpg
Better pic, the building on the right when it was being built.
Whoa!

Electricity

Post by Electricity » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:27 am

the_alias wrote:
quackfiend wrote:
How high?
[im]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3452/397 ... c0532b.jpg[/img]]
He meant how stoned.. ;p
Damn creepers.. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS (anyone? )
Official Meat World Spice Merchant

WhatThaFrig

Post by WhatThaFrig » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:35 pm

I was the same way after I read Creepers. I've read all David Morrells books and that one really piqued my intrest. I used to do a lot of spelunking when I was younger and this was something that appealled to me.
"The only thing necessary for the triupmph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

litegod

Post by litegod » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:52 am

i have done some exploration as well. with my old job i had some opportunities to get into old properties , a few just before they were demolished. gone in equiped with several large spotlights and camera.

i thought it was pretty special to be in these places and be able to take pictures as one of the last people to be in that site before it was gone forever.

you should try to take a friend for backup, just in case there are creeps or violent marginilized individuals or zeds.

i think in a PAW situation exploring old buildings for food and tools and equipment as well as shelter will be invaluable. we might not be able to be picky or squeemish about the buildings we occupy or where we find our food.

Snoot

Post by Snoot » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:21 pm

litegod wrote: i think in a PAW situation exploring old buildings for food and tools and equipment as well as shelter will be invaluable. we might not be able to be picky or squeemish about the buildings we occupy or where we find our food.
I think it would be a better idea to prep for food and tools before hand. Urban exploration is fun and exciting but I think it would be a safer idea to lay low and not venture into (seemingly) abandoned building for supplies. What looks abandoned to you may be someone else's shelter. If I was hunkered down and someone was intruding, I would try to protect what I have. Just my 2 cents.

NX02GT
Favorite Zombie Movies: Ones with Zombies in them.

Post by NX02GT » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Sounds fun, like a more dangerous, adult, illegal version of sneaking out at night.
Czechnology wrote: On a normal shotgun with Ghost Rings, the sight radius is significantly longer. I'd put a red dot on that thing before I ever considered those MBUS. It's like putting Pirellis on a Mail Jeep. Yeah they look cool, but the platform cannot utilize them to their potential.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:22 am

Might be worth reading **this** before poking around underground spaces.

If you want to stay alive, I mean.

Some spaces may be 'safer' to visit, but you are taking a massive risk, the older the building.

I may just be too old - anyway, word to the wise and all that.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:49 am

Been trying to gain access to the old subway lines here in Boston, no such luck yet.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:55 am

OOOh, confined spaces training, thank you Tac Air. Burned, electrocuted, scalded, asphyxiated... so many wonderful ways to go out. Hell you might even get to run into a big pile of asbestos if you're lucky. Watch a few safety vids, strap on a gas detector, set up a non-conductive tripod retrieval system and run ventilation . It aint as much fun when you do it the right way.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:04 am

Electricity wrote:
the_alias wrote:
quackfiend wrote:
How high?
[im]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3452/397 ... c0532b.jpg[/img]]
He meant how stoned.. ;p
Damn creepers.. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS (anyone? )
BOOM

This is interesting, may see if there is anything legally available here in Tucson.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:39 am

Sckitzo wrote:This is interesting, may see if there is anything legally available here in Tucson.
I have heard and seen video of an abandoned missile silo in the Tucson area. However while I did find a listing of some of the old sites on Google earth I was unable to determine which one was the accessible one. It is supposedly on county land and therefore legal to visit but I have not bothered to cross check the known sites with county land records.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:31 am

Kommander wrote:
Sckitzo wrote:This is interesting, may see if there is anything legally available here in Tucson.
I have heard and seen video of an abandoned missile silo in the Tucson area. However while I did find a listing of some of the old sites on Google earth I was unable to determine which one was the accessible one. It is supposedly on county land and therefore legal to visit but I have not bothered to cross check the known sites with county land records.
Hmm might be good

Takaaco78

Post by Takaaco78 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:47 am

Back in middle and high school my buddies and i woulld get all dressed up in black or camo and go get on the roof of the school and run around, or sneak around the neighborhood acting like snipers. We allways like hiding just out of sight like up in trees and people walk right under us or just on the other side of the fence.

As we got older the fun thing to do was drive arond down town till we spotted some dude picking up a hooker then we would follow him till he got so freaked he would just drop her back off where he found her.
“When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else.” – Mark Twain

CryHavoc

Post by CryHavoc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:27 pm

Here's a group in Minneapolis that does Urban Explorations. Basically they say 'Don't try this at home'.

http://www.actionsquad.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a Google directory list of websites for groups in the US that do Urban Exploration.

http://directory.google.com/Top/Recreat ... ed_States/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zombie women love me for my Braaaains!
If the 'Zombie Apocalypse' started today, how would you know somebody wasn't just filming a movie?
A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
KnightoftheRoc wrote:The end result is, you can't convince a closed mind, and you don't need to convince an open one.

Return to “Urban Skillz”