cooking in the can, safe or unsafe

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Re: cooking in the can, safe or unsafe

Post by Hollis » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:47 pm

I thought it was a great question.

The OP was about today not years ago.

I have cooked many a C-rat on the C-rat stove many years ago. So are the can different?

Same with micro waving food in plastic containers.

Before I read the question, I did not think about it and would have no problems heating a can of Chili in the can.

I guess it is time for google search.

A drug that will kill you in 90 years is not a issue if you are 90. No one has made it to 180 yet.
Zombies don't ski.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:18 am

I know I'm late to the party, but if I recall, BPA is present in cans just as they are in plastics, as was mentioned. BPA is an estrogenic-like compound (so similar to hormones), and is carbon-based (so it is organic). That doesn't mean much, but it is known to cause cancer over very long term and is in so many things that we come in contact with.

So even if you avoid it in cans, you will get it from some place else. I wouldn't have a steady diet of heated cans, but now and again won't do too much harm.

Besides, everything gives you cancer. "Life" is the number one cause of "death".
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:21 am

That Scientific American article talks about chromium leeching out of steel and says it is okay because there isn't much chromium in tin can steel. No doubt they would be horrorfied to discover that all stainless cookware contains loads of the stuff. Even worse, there are aluminium pans- some people are cooking in it- and a reasonable % of the earth's crust is made up of aluminium compounds. I'm taking it with a pinch of salt.

Mej1947

Post by Mej1947 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:24 pm

As mentioned previously the food in cans was cooked before it was canned. Heating it up just makes it more palatable. I survived for a year and a half in Southeast Asia during the sixties eating almost exclusively C-rations and anyone who's ever eaten Ham and Lima bean C-rats cold knows there are things in this world worse than death.

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:12 am

I read the title of this thread and had much filthier thoughths.

OT: i've used the can itself before in a pinch. Probably not amongst the greatest things to do for your body but it works. Take that with a grain of salt.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

Return to “Urban Skillz”