alarms/trip wires??

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KnightoftheRoc

Re: alarms/trip wires??

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:32 am

SeerSavant wrote:In a ZPAW discreet and found items are a must....

A glass bottle balanced on a door handle, string to a empty can filled with rocks that is tacked to a door... It will swing in and make a decent amount of low noise.

Of course in a ZPAW, unless your alone, somebody better damn well be on guard duty at every single moment...
I work night security now. While this is EXCELLENT advice, it's not always possible to have eyes on everything. At my job, for example, if I'm doing my rounds, something could be going down elsewhere, while I'm checking doors on another floor, or in another section of the building. Transferring that type of scenario into the ZPAW example, if the one person on guard can be tipped off that there's something going on in direction X, all the better. To that end, I'd try to rig a perimeter alarm that has a different noise for each approach- tin cans stacked up North, bottles to the South, a tin can with pebbles to the West...whatever works for the location. The tinkling of glass is going to alert the guard, who can then alert the rest of the group, and you already know that something has tripped the alarm to the South. You don't want to ignore the other routes, of course, but attention to the south would definitely be called for.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Hex7f7f7f

Post by Hex7f7f7f » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:26 pm

When I was in New Orleans during Katrina, one of the blocks nearby to me had taken corrugated metal roofing that had blown off of sheds and whatnot, and laid it across the street and sidewalk at both ends of the block. To get to the center of the block you had to walk (or drive) over these bent up pieces of metal and they made a significant racket, which was the entire point. The people that stayed on that street new exactly when people were coming.

Illini Warrior
BANNED

Post by Illini Warrior » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:36 pm

SeerSavant wrote:Two types of cheap and simple traps, best used in unfamiliar environments. Not your house, too much to secure, open camp site, etc.

I would use a low strength fishing line with empty soda cans filled with a rock or marble. Makes some noise, but not a huge amount. Not enough to let the world know, just to let you know.

The second is the mousetrap design, but a small cheap mousetrap with a quarter inch dowel placed directly under where the spring loaded bar will hit, and top off with a simple black powder percussion cap. Louder than a snapper, but not as big as a gunshot.

I'm thinking improvised gives you multiple choices, and a tin of percussion caps weighs about an ounce and cheap wood and wire mousetraps are lightweight and can be used in a variety of ways. Side's killing rodents that is.

Same mouse trap set up but you can improvise with kid's toy snap caps instead of percussion caps ..... super cheap .... no batteries necessary and no worry about electrical shorts
Illini Warrior

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Good point...

Thing is, use what you find, and be creative about it...

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:
SeerSavant wrote:Two types of cheap and simple traps, best used in unfamiliar environments. Not your house, too much to secure, open camp site, etc.

I would use a low strength fishing line with empty soda cans filled with a rock or marble. Makes some noise, but not a huge amount. Not enough to let the world know, just to let you know.

The second is the mousetrap design, but a small cheap mousetrap with a quarter inch dowel placed directly under where the spring loaded bar will hit, and top off with a simple black powder percussion cap. Louder than a snapper, but not as big as a gunshot.

I'm thinking improvised gives you multiple choices, and a tin of percussion caps weighs about an ounce and cheap wood and wire mousetraps are lightweight and can be used in a variety of ways. Side's killing rodents that is.

Same mouse trap set up but you can improvise with kid's toy snap caps instead of percussion caps ..... super cheap .... no batteries necessary and no worry about electrical shorts
The typical mouse trap is just about as loud as a toy snap cap is- why over complicate it? If you're a real sound sleeper, use a rat trap. Position the traps nearer to your position so you can hear them easy, and let the trip line cover the distance. An advantage to the mousetrap, IMHO, is that it does NOT get so loud. If the intruder doesn't realize he's hit the line, and if properly done, he won't, the sound is very similar to a snapping twig, a common enough sound in the woods. In a city environment, not so much, but still not so out of place as to scream for attention- from anyone but you. A spool of cotton thread can be used as a trip line without the need for rolling it up every time you move out, beyond what's easy to roll up, and if it's tripped, it holds just long enough to trigger the alarm, and then break, and probably be un-noticed by the person tripping it. A dark grey thread disappears in almost any area, too.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Post by ........ » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:05 pm

Trip Flares

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripflare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.botachtactical.com/omglowtrip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-US-Military-C ... 4aae9422b6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:39 pm

I made some victim operated mines back when we played scenario paintball. Its was set off by a 12 gram C02 cartridge, and fired a nice cloud of paint straight up into the target. Now, you could easily just use some sort of marking powder, dye, or UV marker. For night time, maybe some glow in the dark paint? Definitely over complicated for a person on the move, but for a BOL it would work.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

NorthernAlpine

Post by NorthernAlpine » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Some of the suggestions sound solid, others leave something to be desired...

Brilliant!
Multiple Sounds for directions/entry/routes of advancement:
- Lets you know the cardinal area where the 'heat' is coming from and react immediately
- Offers you the benefit of knowing exits at your disposal as well if need be

I would take into account the following:
o Having a perimeter that would notify you of an intrusion, but not wake up the neighborhood or draw attention might be the better way to go.
- Just because someone/thing is there, do you want them to know that you are there, or that they have been detected? This will up the awareness instantly.
- Take the deer example listed - you might want to eat it, and having a flare/shotgun/carnival clown surprise the piss out of it will lose you a week+ worth of meals.
- Or in ZPAW, draw the hordes in possibly? If someone was in my AO, the last thing I want them to know is that I'm up and coming for them. I would prefer them to think that all is well and nothing out of the ordinary other than a knocked over coffee can making some noise or a bottle breaking.
- I would prefer that they pass on by and do not know the area is occupied. Or if they are looking for trouble...then...well... :twisted:

If you're expecting an attack by someone with two legs and functioning brains, having the fireworks and Oooh/Aaaah factor would be good as you're expecting a confrontation. Otherwise, stay gray(ish). I don't want you to know I have the drop on your until it's too late... :shock:
Northern Alpine
"Two wrongs don't make a right Danny, but three rights make a left" - Ty Webb

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:07 pm

I haven't seen anyone put this link into place yet. --> http://hitechammotogo.com/html/perimete ... _acce.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These whistlers are used in military training because they sound just like incoming mortar rounds. Only from what people tell me I wouldn't know.
The future is for those who prepare.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:52 pm

Slugg wrote:I haven't seen anyone put this link into place yet. --> http://hitechammotogo.com/html/perimete ... _acce.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These whistlers are used in military training because they sound just like incoming mortar rounds. Only from what people tell me I wouldn't know.
Eh. Too easy to spot, usually, and the ones we use have to stay dry. Dew makes em a 50/50 proposition.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Feeney

Post by Feeney » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:41 pm

A lot of these suggestions may not work very well outdoors. I have a gate to the fence on the side of the house and would like to know when someone opens it. Many door chimes or alarms are not meant for outdoor use and I don't want an 'extreme' shotgun or flare solution as the gate is used during the day. I have resorted to hanging a 'bear bell' on the gate; it doesn't work very well but i do hear it occasionally when the kids open it. I suppose bear bells would be useful if camping in a wooded area and if setting up trip wires, etc. Any suggestions on the outdoor gate application are appreciated.

Cavediver

Post by Cavediver » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:48 pm

Feeney wrote:A lot of these suggestions may not work very well outdoors. I have a gate to the fence on the side of the house and would like to know when someone opens it. Many door chimes or alarms are not meant for outdoor use and I don't want an 'extreme' shotgun or flare solution as the gate is used during the day. I have resorted to hanging a 'bear bell' on the gate; it doesn't work very well but i do hear it occasionally when the kids open it. I suppose bear bells would be useful if camping in a wooded area and if setting up trip wires, etc. Any suggestions on the outdoor gate application are appreciated.
A properly placed driveway alarm would probably work. I don't own one of these, but it's inexpensive and gets decent reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Bunker-Hill-Secur ... eway+alarm

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:45 pm

If you have an iphone or ipad you might want to pick up this app as it has a Motion Detector feature as well as other useful zpaw features.

"Zombie Tools" Survival App for iPad and iPhone by Guns & Gardens

You can learn more about this app and/or get it at http://www.guns-n-gardens.com/app.html

Description
Zombie Tools ☣ from Guns & Gardens is the only iOS app you need to survive the zombie apocalypse. It includes a range of useful modules, including a global emergency Sit-Rep, motion detector, signal light, video feed, survival journal and more. It's got so many useful tools, it's like a digital "Swiss Army Knife" in your pocket.

Features:
✔ SitRep (24-7 Situational Report)
‣ Worldwide Emergency Alert System
‣ Day/Date, Chronograph, Sunrise/Sunset, Moon Phase/Daylight remaining
‣ Detailed Weather, 5-day Forecast, Wind, Visibility, Dew point, Humidity, stats
‣ Auto GPS location

✔ Motion Detector
‣ Secure any location from intrusion in seconds - works on zombies, humans and animals
‣ Audio and Visual alarm
‣ Programable "kill-switch" unlock sequence
‣ Adjustable sensitivity

✔ Morse Code Signal Light
‣ Industrial-strength Illumination and Communication
‣ 4 modes
‣ Standard illuminator - white light
‣ Strobe - blinking white light
‣ Emergency - blinking red/blue light
‣ Morse Code - blinking white light
‣ Send messages via text input - no need to learn Morse Code!

✔ Marque's Survival Journal
‣ One-of-a-kind tips from the Internet's top zombie survival expert
‣ Step-by-step instructions/illustrations for making weapons, food, water, shelter, first-aid and more
‣ Continuously updated with new information

✔ Video Uplink
‣ Instant streaming access to all episodes of Guns & Gardens
‣ Sneak-peak early access to new episodes
‣ Exclusive videos and other in-app content
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

happlesstechnogeek
Favorite Zombie Movies: Grindhouse, Zombieland, Night of the living dead.

Post by happlesstechnogeek » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:41 pm

The simplest is a piezio buzzer glued to a 9 volt with a cloths pin switch as i saw earlier. you can easily make small project boxes with loud buzzers, flashing lights and even a detonator, I am out of samples, I sent them to a friend for a job. Anyway I will build a demo with pics here soon. I got to order the parts first. remember, if a towelhead can figure out how to use a cheap ass phone to set off charges, it doesn't need to be fancy, just effective.

Remember, you can scavenge horns and batteries from cars after SHF. Wire your whole perimeter and then some.
When someone points a quad phased plasma warhead at you, it is for sure you are toast, or in your case a whole loaf of toast!

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:37 pm

happlesstechnogeek wrote:The simplest is a piezio buzzer glued to a 9 volt with a cloths pin switch as i saw earlier. you can easily make small project boxes with loud buzzers, flashing lights and even a detonator, I am out of samples, I sent them to a friend for a job. Anyway I will build a demo with pics here soon. I got to order the parts first. remember, if a towelhead can figure out how to use a cheap ass phone to set off charges, it doesn't need to be fancy, just effective.

Remember, you can scavenge horns and batteries from cars after SHF. Wire your whole perimeter and then some.
Jesus christ, if you're not on a mission to break all our rules, you might want to consider it. If you don't take your ball and go home, please read the damn rules.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:44 pm

There are wireless alarms that can connect to a MURS radio, handheld or base station.

http://shop.murs-radio.com/MURS-Alert-T ... cstrfrnt01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:49 am

allofthemonkeys wrote:There are wireless alarms that can connect to a MURS radio, handheld or base station.

http://shop.murs-radio.com/MURS-Alert-T ... cstrfrnt01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MURS radios are a great option, and the alarm system that can be used with them a really smart deal. I plan on picking some of these up eventually.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

NGshooter17

Post by NGshooter17 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:09 am

Anyone remember the lil fireworks u could get as kids where u pulled 2 pieces of strung and the lil firecracker or whatever in the middle popped off kinda loud? Wouldn't really help in a damp or wet area though. Stay low tech, go with a soda can with a few rocks in it, attach to a wire or para cord.
“On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.”

Return to “Urban Skillz”