alarms/trip wires??

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

nomad211

alarms/trip wires??

Post by nomad211 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:42 pm

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this for urban bug outs. Mentioned it in another spot within this Forum involving sleeping in a vehicle.
Some type of perimeter alarm/alert is even more important in an urban setting that it is in the bush. While I don't see myself joining Cody Lundin in eating rats, the traps for them are just perfect for perimeter alerts. Lightweight, easy to pack, with no batteries to crap out. Anchor them along lines of approach, doorways etc, tie some fishing line to the trigger & sleep lightly til
one cracks off.
BTW, it's not the rats I squimish about. It' the germ spreading fleas which they carry. In olden times, bubonic plague, in modern times hanta virus. No Sir, keep me far away from rats & their nests.
Some rat trap type kits are designed to break a chem lite or fire a blank shell to provide visual & auditory distractions to the intruder and to ID their location.
Another approach is to use an old Vietnam trick. String empty food cans along fishing line strung knee high around your perimeter & across doorways of paths. Pebbles, marbles etc. in the can cause a VERY distinctive rattle whenever a ine is bumped. Train yourself & you WILL come to full alert ready for action if you hear it.
One tip, always burn the cans in a fire in advance to kill any lingering food smells which attract wildlife. One of my Ranger buddies in Vietnam wanted something to brag about, so when he awoke to the distinct sound of CRat cans rattleing, he slipped out throug the wire with the bright idea of quitely killing an enemy sapper with a knife. He thought it'd make a great war story. He was right, just not in the way he pictured. Seems he donated the cans, the knife, & everything else to the full grown tiger he came face to face with,LOL. It was nudging the cans cause it could still smell the food scents on them.
Any other suggestions????

SwampRat
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(the remake), any of the resident evil films, 28 days later, armies of darkness, dead snow... ah hell it's like pickin a favorite child...

Re: alarms/trip wires??

Post by SwampRat » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:17 am

Balance A bottle, glass works best on a door handle so if someone tries to open the door the bottle falls and makes a loud crashing noise. Learn to make a friction pull fuse from a book of matches these can be attached to any sort of fire cracker, smoke bomb or any other kind of firework (think a "mortar" round shooting 300 feet up in the sky and putting on a brilliant idsplay when someone tries to walk up your driveway, can't miss that. The friction pull fuse is basically this: Open a book of matches, pull the matches off the backing, Take one sheet of matches and roll them around the fuse of your fire cracker and tape it in place. Now take the paper backing with the striker facing inward and loosely wrap it around the matches and secure it with tape so it doesn't move. Now tie a string to the fire cracker and another to the backing, when it's tripped on, it will pull the backing across the matches lighting your fuse. This is a great way to do 4th of july to, just spend an hour putting friction pulls on every thing so you don't have to screw around with a lighter all night. Enjoy.
Upon reading one of my posts you should assume that before I post I reread my posts twice and then often again after I post to check and recheck for spelling and grammatical errors. And I still miss most of them because, as it turns out, when you are home-schooled, you are only as smart as your mom.

sql_yoda
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Sean of the Dead
The Notebook

Post by sql_yoda » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:28 am

nomad211 wrote:Some rat trap type kits are designed to break a chem lite or fire a blank shell to provide visual & auditory distractions to the intruder and to ID their location.
And do you own a single blank cartridge that you can put in these traps so they will alert you and not harm anyone?
nomad211 wrote: One tip, always burn the cans in a fire in advance to kill any lingering food smells which attract wildlife.
Animals come to the smell of canned food; it doesn't matter if you fire it for ten hours, the critters will be attracted by the odor of spam on the wind.

I feel compelled to offer my apologies beforehand having been involved in threads like these already, but I have to call bullshit.

nomad211

Post by nomad211 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:58 am

Actually, no I don't own the type of perimeter alarms that fire blanks. Just mentioned them cause I've read about them & passed along the info.
As for the rest . . . opinions vary & you're entitled to yours.

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:57 pm

http://www.streetdefender.com/MC-223-S.htm

Something like this, combined with some fishing line makes a great alarm in all kinds of circumstances both urban and in the woods.

nomad211

Post by nomad211 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:05 am

Yeah those mini alarms look good, but I wonder how weather resistant they are? Hopefully a night in the rain wouldn't run them.
Glass bottle on the door knob? I LOVED that movie ! ! !

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:13 am

I carry an M118 TP Illumination Flare in my Mag Pouch Survival Kit. Easy to set up and works like a charm! You can see a video of the kit by clicking on the link in my signature. And don't forget to vote for me! LOL! :lol:
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Spartan299
Favorite Zombie Movies: No favorites.

Post by Spartan299 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:26 pm

Variations of this trap will work in almost any environment. Low cost and easy to set up. VERY effective!

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate"
NRA Pistol/Rifle Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Joey_Numbers

Post by Joey_Numbers » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:14 pm

What about cartridges from a powder actuator power tools? They are basically like blank rounds. A little less expensive, not suspicious if you are buying a few dozen, I dont even think you have to be over a certain age to buy them (not sure about that last one though). I found a couple hundred of them in a dumpster at a construction site, trying to make my own alarm set up.

Osiris Risen
Favorite Zombie Movies: The first three Romero movies, Dance of the Dead, Versus, Flight of the Living Dead (Zombies on a Plane), and most anything else really.

Post by Osiris Risen » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:35 pm

I wouldn't want an alarm that sounded like gunshots, people might shoot back.
Never trust a corpse.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:59 pm

Any small hyperactive yippy dog.

walkin_stick
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead,28 days later, dawn of the dead, resident evil,

Post by walkin_stick » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:59 am

get you one of theses!!!!! ive seen them somewhere elses for a lot cheeper, ive also seen them in .223!!! http://www.defensedevices.com/shotgun-a ... gnal1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaJoker

Post by DaJoker » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:59 pm

SwampRat wrote: Learn to make a friction pull fuse from a book of matches these can be attached to any sort of fire cracker, smoke bomb or any other kind of firework (think a "mortar" round shooting 300 feet up in the sky and putting on a brilliant idsplay when someone tries to walk up your driveway, can't miss that.[...]
You need to be careful in setup though. Where's the firework going to go? If it going through a canopy you could have a forest fire on your hands. Should it go errant and smash through a window yours or a neighbor's house could go up. This seems great for identifying where intruders are coming from in a large area (i.e. open wilderness or urban environment like a strip mall or a parking lot) but you gotta be safe about it. I have an aversion to anything that goes boom or sends sparks everywhere because it looks cool.

What about road flares? Or phosphor parachute launchers in combination with a shotgun shell (no pellets) for an audible alert? The last one is easy-ish to make from a aluminum model rocket.
NLM FEMA8 Knucklebuster
"Man's true profession is to find the road to himself." Thomas Hobbes
“Showing reality always makes the best propaganda.” Taliban member quoted in Newsweek
M1A/5.7x28mm/Green Wire/Pie

airballrad
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by airballrad » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:23 pm

I've seen a friction pull rigged up to a magnesium flare to prevent some National Guard Explorer Scouts from messing with our troop on a camping trip. In theory this would trip and then ruin the night vision of anyone trying to sneak in. They apparently didn't try to prank us, though, since it was intact the next morning.

Istvan56
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead & Night of the Living Dead

Post by Istvan56 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:10 am

Back in the 1980's I picked up a travel alarm. It was a door stop combined with a small air horn. The more the door was forced the louder it got. I'm betting that if you rigged some trip wire or a wire snare on a trail that when pulled would compress an air horn it would work as a non-lethal (and therefore legal pre-PAW) alert system. You would have to make a wooden holder that could be secured to a tree and a way that when pulling on a lanyard it would force the air horn button down.

Kip

Post by Kip » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:39 am

I'm interested in hearing some thoughts on the type of situations one might face where trip wires/flares/firecrackers/blank rounds would be of use in an urban setting as alarms. Are we talking post apocolypse and zombies? because I imagine that some of these items (depending on how they are stored or transferred) may be frowned upon by law enforcement. Carrying a backpack with wires and explosive devices in a large city will probably get you in the front page headlines. Although road flares in a roadside emergency kit are a good idea.

Installing a reliable home security system with an alarm and owning a car with a working car alarm are no brainers. Travel alarms to rig to doors if you need to spend a night or two in a motel may also be worth looking into. And, as mentioned earlier in the thread, dogs.

Joey_Numbers

Post by Joey_Numbers » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:00 am

Well since no one liked the improvised ideas. What about one of these? Its a magnetic door alarm. Comes in two pieces, a sensor/siren and a magnet. If the magnet is separated from the sensor it produces a loud chiming. I'm sure with a little ingenuity you could set this up for any situation.

Maybe wire the sensor into a claymore mine! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

A joke :D

Kip

Post by Kip » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:19 am

Joey_Numbers wrote:Well since no one liked the improvised ideas. What about one of these? Its a magnetic door alarm. Comes in two pieces, a sensor/siren and a magnet. If the magnet is separated from the sensor it produces a loud chiming. I'm sure with a little ingenuity you could set this up for any situation.
I actually have alarms like that. :lol: I've seen similar at dollar stores.

Istvan56

Post by Istvan56 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:40 pm

Booby traps are illegal and like all things of that type, not to be discussed here, even for the ZPAW. However warning devices are perfectly fine. So a trip flare device, if it won't start a fire or burn someone, can be legal (depending on local regulations on open fires/burn bans). I own such a device that I bought back in the mid-1980's. It came with some 12 ga. 3" flares which I got rid of after a while. That type of device I found out was not permissible in most circumstances since even with a flare shell it could harm someone or start a fire. The advantage of a ground flare is that it marks the spot where the enemy is and if you have an active OP/LP, your guards can engage enemies who are threatening you. "Engage" can mean verbal challenge up through deadly force depending on the threat posed to you. Know your self-defense laws.

In an urban setting noisemakers seem to be the best warning system. I count a barking dog in this category. A dog has the added advantage of being able to bite as well as bark. The only problem is that you may not want it to do either if you are being stealthy. Those battery devices (magnetic alarms) are a good idea. A real screeching one could be set in a neighboring (abandoned) building or on a perimeter gate. While quieter ones are for your shelter.

I'm betting that the battery ones can be attached to a couple of stakes and put together making the connection. From each stake a trip wire could run across an alley way or path in two different angles. Miss one and hit the second. Or set at an intersection and cover two directions.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:40 am

I suggest anyone interested in this topic read the army manual "Boobytraps". I'm NOT advocating anyone setting up dangerous contraptions, I suggest it because it contains materials that will get you thinking. Instead of setting up an electrically operated explosive, the same arrangement could be used to operate a buzzer, light, or bell.

The tripwire setup, for example, can be used to pull over a stack of empty cans, creating a warning. An electrical version could be made using the spring type clothespins. Wrapping the stripped ends of wire onto each jaw of the clothespin, where the closed pin presses the wires together, can be used as a switch, with almost any non-conductive material between the jaws to keep the circuit 'off'. Personally, I prefer to tie the clothespin to something stationary, using the hole through the middle of the clothespin, and a small wedge of wood, or a small piece of plastic (like plexiglass, or something cut from a plastic container) separating the jaws, with a hole in it. I also like to run two tripwires off the plastic piece, in a V, with the switch at the point of the V. If either tripwire is activated, the tension will remove the wedge, operating the circuit. You can even wire this into your doorbell, if power to run it is available.

Another form of the glass bottle on the doorknob, is to perch a bottle on the handle of the deadbolt, if you have one. For this, you'll need to have your deadbolt installed so that the handle is in the vertical position when locked.Slide the bottle opening over the top end of the handle, and lean it toward the side the top part moves to when unlocking. The bottle's weight and size with topple it off the handle when someone unlocks the deadbolt from the outside.

Another useful item is the carpenter's wedge. You can buy these really cheap at a home center, usually in the doors & windows area, they are used to level out door frames and windows when installing them. A single wedge into the top of a door frame makes a nifty "shelf" to set an empty can on. If the door opens, it falls, and it cannot be detected from outside the door. It's also useful when traveling, as a hotel room door alarm, unless the door area is heavily carpeted. Some loose change inside the can helps too. And, it's non damaging, and removable, so you can take it all with you.

Really effective methods of creating warning systems come from thinking outside the box, and getting creative, without getting complicated. In the PAW, simple = good, and a longer lifespan.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Verissimus

Post by Verissimus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:48 pm

Like Kip, I question the necessity of trip alarms in a BOB, but I do have some ideas as to how this can be accomplished. I have seen all kinds of things fronted for use with paintball. you can find all sorts of Ideas all over the intertubes for that. after two minutes of searching, I came across this:

http://www.paintballzone.com/tactics_wa ... evices.htm

since paintball necessitates non-lethality, there should be nothing but some raised eyebrows in most places.
I survived Wintergheddon X

Istvan56

Post by Istvan56 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:31 pm

The wedges are a good idea as you can also use them to deny movement through an area or to funnel an enemy into an ambush point or away from a hide. Note: An "ambush" in this case might be putting the person on notice that they are being watched and covered by a superior or armed force. It doesn't not necessarily mean an attack but that you have the upper hand if you need it.

The paintball article is appreciated. It goes over some old as well as new methods for non-lethal warnings. As mentioned in it, many alarms/trip wires alert your enemy that someone is hiding nearby. Looking for those alarms that alert you without giving them warning are the ideal.

fred foobar
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by fred foobar » Mon May 03, 2010 9:38 pm

ODA 226 wrote:I carry an M118 TP Illumination Flare in my Mag Pouch Survival Kit. Easy to set up and works like a charm! You can see a video of the kit by clicking on the link in my signature. And don't forget to vote for me! LOL! :lol:
FWIW, a trip flare, LP/OP, and a herd of deer at 0300 do not mix well. Pucker factor=10. :lol:

I've got the MC223 WhoShotJR linked to inbound, looking forward to running it through its paces. I'm just a sucker for technology/gadgets.

Another long tabber listed it as part of his GHB @ ARFCOM.

Knowing field expedient early intrusion devices and techniques such as rocks in cans/broken bottles/etc. is great in case your gear goes TU.

Simple is good.

nomad211

Post by nomad211 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:02 am

Found a neat little alarm from http://www.PepperEnforcement.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that looks good. Powered by 9 volt battery & rated at 130 db.'s it's worth a try at only five bucks.
Figured I'd keep it in a ziplock bag to keep it water resistant & just tape the bag to a tree, doorway, etc. & attach the tripwire.

Also ordered some O.C. "fog grenades" from them to test too. I was surprised that there were no special ID or delivery requirements. They just said thanks for your order & off you go. Don't really think "grenades" will be a major item for use, but hey, why not?

Return to “Urban Skillz”