What is this forum for?

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

What is this forum for?

Post by PistolPete » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:44 pm

This is a place where people should discuss learning and practicing skills that are useful for survival in an urban environment. Many of the skills that are applicable in the woods, deserts, prairies and swamps apply, but some certainly do not. Surviving an earthquake, tornado or flood in a city is very different than surviving a similar disaster far from civilization. Urban areas offer their own sets of challenges. Topics that would fit here include:

Navigation in urban areas
Water purification
Dealing with fire as an ally and an enemy
Strategies to deal with civil unrest that don't include breaking any laws
How to prepare urban dwellings to survive a disaster, or be more comfortable after a disaster
Proper ways to evacuate cities
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

NorthShore
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days
World War Z

Re: What is this forum for?

Post by NorthShore » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:18 pm

This is brilliant! :D

I swear to God, only a week ago I was thinking:

"Gee, I wonder if there would be a market for a comprehensive Urban Survival course?"

Not just the usual personal security "How to survive a street fight/ How to secure your home" kinda stuff, but more from the perspective of treating the urban environment as a natural environment in which specific skills could help one survive in a SHTF.

Course content/instruction might be like this:

- An urban planner providing an overview of urban environments in general.
- Urban anthropologist discussing the particulars of human behavior in urban environments, particularly during different levels of crisis.
- Civil engineers/architects discussing infrastructure, buildings etc. from a survival/tactical point of view.
- Hands-on city worker guys discussing the ins and outs of common urban infrastructure.
- Cops, emergency workers, and other public employees outlining their various procedures/protocols in regard to emergency response.

In the event of zombies/social unrest/natural catastrophe a graduate of said course would know the best way to get from point A to B and why, how public services will be responding, what resources are available where, and -- in a real urban Omega Man type situation -- which manholes will likely lead to which kind of access tunnels etc, how to locate unconventional or overlooked sources of water/food/shelter/power etc.

Great idea to start this urban-oriented section!
BeerandGuns wrote:The guy who wanted recipes for eating cats didn't get slammed like this.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Not a damn thing happened, and the next morning we unloaded our firearms and had the first of many tuna sandwiches.
PE-90 5.56 / G17 9mm / Khukuri / Pie / Ground Wire

Glennbo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004), Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Living Dead.

Post by Glennbo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:43 am

I like the idea of this sub-forum as well. I'm stuck in urban sprawl, or will have to travel through it for many days when TSHTF. I am trying to develop the skills neccessary to cope with the difficulties this enviroment will present.
"There are a lot of things I've been blamed for that I never did. But then there are a lot of things I did and never got caught at." ---Johnny Cash---

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:39 am

Pleased to see the condescending 'for those afraid of the woods' blurb under the title is gone.
Thanks to whomever changed it.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Vodage
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead! <3 comedy

Post by Vodage » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:22 am

ZombieGranny wrote:Pleased to see the condescending 'for those afraid of the woods' blurb under the title is gone.
Thanks to whomever changed it.
Someone probably put "for those afraid of the hoods" under bushcraft and they decided to call a truce.
Best way to win a fight: Not fight at all.
Best way to not fight: Don't ask me, I just lost one yesterday

scuro

Post by scuro » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:07 am

And, so, as a newbie here, please tell me, here in the urban sprawl, as I am. What are my best skills and assets to acquire and how to go about getting them. BTW I am a SWW in my 50's with no children but grandchildren offsite.

koyoteefyre

Post by koyoteefyre » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:24 am

scuro wrote:And, so, as a newbie here, please tell me, here in the urban sprawl, as I am. What are my best skills and assets to acquire and how to go about getting them. BTW I am a SWW in my 50's with no children but grandchildren offsite.
First you need to find a fresh supply of water, mine are bell mountain wilderness or my family land in south fork MO. Both have natural springs and ample wild life. then you need seeds to start a garden besides water you need nutrients besides protein. For me peppers for vit. C instead of oranges that do not grow here. adapt your garden to what you can grow but be mindful of the nutrients they provide,

Return to “Urban Skillz”