Civilian Concealed Carry vs. Peace Officer

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Civilian Concealed Carry vs. Peace Officer

Post by Neptune Glory » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi everyone,

In a few years, my wife will go back to work... and hopefully make more money than I make as a registered nurse, even working a lot of overtime.

At that point, I could (in theory) go through police academy, become a part time police officer... and after 10 years on the job, carry in more places than my concealed carry permit allows, under this federal law:

https://www.fop.net/legislative/issues/ ... 218faq.pdf

My question to the Squad is, *should I persue this*? Or is this a *waste of my valuable time*?

Thanks!
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Civilian Concealed Carry vs. Peace Officer

Post by Boondock » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:07 pm

I think the better question is:

Do I want to become a police officer to serve and protect my community or do I just want to legally carry a firearm wherever I want?

Huge difference.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:19 pm

Boondock wrote:I think the better question is:

Do I want to become a police officer to serve and protect my community or do I just want to legally carry a firearm wherever I want?

Huge difference.
Yea it sounds like a lot of headache, heartache and work. Just for being able to go more places with a ccw. Also if you stay a RN , how you going to have time for a second job with all the OT a RN has? Once you're either one of those professions, You just can't not show up for work because of the other job. They are both essential personnel.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:49 pm

Huge difference.
This says all that is necessary I think. Except to add my agreement with it. Of course. :clownshoes:

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:07 am

Huge difference.
I would like to be back in the field. I was in EMS for 12 years, as an EMT and a paramedic. I know the job is different, but the environment is quite similar and I do miss it.
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:09 am

flybynight wrote:

Huge difference.
Yea it sounds like a lot of headache, heartache and work. Just for being able to go more places with a ccw. Also if you stay a RN , how you going to have time for a second job with all the OT a RN has? Once you're either one of those professions, You just can't not show up for work because of the other job. They are both essential personnel.
It's more a question of, how many hours do I have to work to make ends meet. If I can be a per diem RN, and a part time peace officer, there shouldn't be any issue of double-booking. At that point, it's more a question of, would my wife's job be adequate salary + benefits. (Mine is both right now as an RN, but only by working a huge amount of overtime. If I didn't have to worry about them, I could scale back significantly.)

vegassig

Post by vegassig » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:21 pm

The biggest question you need to ask yourself is, "Do I want to be a cop?" Especially consider the responsibilities and today's political climate.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:35 am

Part-time cop... That's something we don't have in Australia. In fact our cops need to apply to have a second job approved and there is a range of jobs they're outright prohibited from doing as it's a conflict of interest (mainly in industries that are regulated by the police like security, alcohol, gambling or prostitution.

From about of as much as an outsiders perspective as can exist, it sounds like it's not the best use of your time.
Police really isn't the right gig to do if you're not 100% invested in the role, just seems like a good way to get a lot of people offside
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

BadLands_Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead (1968, 1990)

Dawn of The Dead (1978, 2004)

Day of The Dead (1985)

The Dead Next Door (1989)

Post by BadLands_Shooter » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:43 am

A badge is a target, OP. Is that worth universal carry to you?
Former Army Infantryman.

-K/N Frame/M&P Lover.

“Hey man, you’re playing some killer music this morning. I have an empty cop car sitting outside my place. It’s been sitting there all night with the light bar flashing”. - Random Radio Caller

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:29 am

I looked into it more in-depth for my local area. Probably a lot more trouble than it is worth.

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:32 pm

Seems like if you're not in it to serve your community, you should probably skip it. 3 months of law enforcement academy, continual training and certification etc... or just get non-resident CCW permits from a combo of states that get you the most states on the "I can carry here" list.
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:31 pm

Neptune Glory wrote:Probably a lot more trouble than it is worth.
Truer words are seldom spoke here on ZS.

I should point out that you can be a Police Reservist and still carry nationwide provided that you meet all the other criteria under LEOSA. But of dumb reasons for doing it that it is right up there.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:13 am

I do intend to continue to serve my community / the greater good... but with my skill set being advanced life support and emergency / trauma nursing, I can do more good on a DMAT team than as a rookie peace officer. So, will continue with that plan.

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:34 pm

This country needs as may “Peace Officers” as it can get, vs “Law Enforcement” officers.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:18 am

fred.greek wrote:This country needs as may “Peace Officers” as it can get, vs “Law Enforcement” officers.
I don't know what country that is so it is hard to say. A lot of states in the US have statutory differences between the two.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

OmahaOutdoors

Post by OmahaOutdoors » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:42 pm

If you have the desire to become an officer for the sake of being an officer, do it. You only live once. If you feel like it might be more trouble than it is worth and the primary motivation is the ability to carry more, then probably not. That is my two-cents anyways, for what it's worth.

Return to “Urban Skillz”