My fitness path

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

My fitness path

Post by jaowens76 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:23 pm

So I know there are many like it but this one is mine 8-) . I recently started a fitness plan using a Primal diet and KB and bodyweight workouts. I turn 39 in a few weeks and have been on blood pressure meds for 4 years. Most of my family is also diabetic, and I of course am overweight. In other words I have numerous great reasons I need to get in shape. So I am doing so.

If your are interested please follow along by clicking on my sig.

For those who don't trust links here is today's post:

My Yard, My Gym
This is my gym.

FW( farmers walks) are a mainstay in my path to fitness. For those unsure exactly what an FW is, here is the Owens definition. Grasp a heavy object in each hand (I use a 35lb and a 20 lb kettlebell) and walk. Simple yet effective. By themselves FW work forearms, traps(upper back), quads and hamstrings (front and back of your thighs,respectively).

So today I used all of my gym. just off the screen at the bottom left corner I performed KB (kettlebell) presses. From there I walked to the upper left corner and performed KB squats then walked to the upper right corner where I knocked out push-ups and then back towards the house. Here I performed backwards lunges. One circuit = roughly 75 yards.

After 2 circuits I was completely gassed the plan was to do 5.That may have been possible if I was on something other than a ketogenic/primal diet, but I doubt it. As I type this my arms are quivering and I am still breathing hard. In other words a GREAT workout. Will I push myself to this point every day? No, as Pavel likes to say, "Strength is a skill. Training must be approached as a practice, not a workout.

I do wish I had been able to complete more circuits, but I wasn't very far from the seeing stars and vomiting stage that I used to get from brutal squat workouts. This was a good time to quit before the workout caused extra downtime from extreme soreness or injury.

Any of you folks have a brutal workout to share?

If any ZS'ers have any constructive criticism please share it. Both regarding the blog itself and my plan.
Thanks

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Re: My fitness path

Post by Neptune Glory » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:07 pm

jaowens76 wrote:Any of you folks have a brutal workout to share?
May I suggest a comprehensive stretching practice, after the workout? I used to do it when I was in competition as a fencer, and I still do it today after workouts to make sure I don't tighten up.

1. Touch toes, standing, with feet next to each other for 20 - 30 seconds. (just try, it's more important to stretch than to actually touch. Keep your knees mostly straight.)
2. Touch toes, standing, with left leg crossed over right leg for 20 - 30 seconds.
3. Touch toes, standing, with right leg crossed over left leg for 20 - 30 seconds.
4. Sit and put feet together, sole to sole, knees bent almost indian-sitting style (but with feet together at the soles). Pull feet towards your butt by the ankles, and press your knees down to stretch groin, 20 - 30 seconds.
5. Right leg straight in front of you, left foot's sole against right inner thigh, and try to touch right foot with both hands... 20 - 30 seconds.
6. Switch, try to touch left foot with both hands, 20 - 30 seconds.
7. Both feet out in front of you, try to touch with both hands, 20 - 30 seconds.
8. Pull your right leg in, right foot crossed over left thigh (left leg still straight), pull right lower thigh / knee / upper calf way in towards chest with both arms for 20 - 30 seconds (stretches butt muscles). It's almost like your trying to hug your leg up and into your torso.
9. Turn your torso to the extreme right, looking behind you: stretching you lower back (with legs still roughly in the same position as #8) for 20 - 30 seconds.
10. Switch, left leg pulled in, right leg straight in front of you, stretching butt musclese for 20 - 30 seconds.
11. Turn your torso to the extreme left, looking behind you, again stretching lower back or 20 - 30 seconds.
12. Stand up again. Support your body with left hand on your fence or a tree, and pull your right leg up behind you with your right hand, streching quadraceps for 20 - 30 seconds.
13. Switch, stretching left quadraceps for 20 - 30 seconds.
14. Still standing, both hands against the fence or tree, bend down but keep legs straight at the knees, flexing your feet forwards, stretching calves for 20 - 30 seconds. _\ (feet flat, but legs leaning forwards to stretch the calves)

I hope it helps!
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:24 pm

My advice as a person in the field: eat clean, don't overdue it as its a marathon not a sprint, and find something you enjoy.

The best advice though:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WqhCsgYkLJE
"Just walk"

Then throw some simple weight training in. Even P90x and Insanity DVD workouts are great for getting back in the game.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:01 pm

I can share plenty of brutal workouts if needed, especially with kettlebells and bodyweight as I mainly do strength and circuit training.

If you're trying to lose some weight, I know a great way to jumpstart your metabolism. Download a Tabata timer and set it for 8 rounds, 20 seconds of exercise, 10 seconds of rest. Do 2 hand kettlebell swings during the exercise time, stop when it's in the rest phase. Repeat this for all 8 rounds and as long as you're putting out a good effort, you will see results. I did this as my warm-up for every workout and lost a noticeable amount of body fat over the course of about 6 weeks or so while mainly only doing squat, bench, and deadlift.

Kettlebell complexes are a great way to add variation and make for a killer workout. 1 arm swing, high pull, clean & jerk is super simple. I start on my weak side and do max reps then switch to strong side and do an equal amount. Hindu Squat, 2 hand kettlebell swing, swing to Goblet Squat position, squat, then press.

Another favorite method much like a circuit is a rip-off of the 300 styles of workout but with my own take. 300 total reps, 10 different exercises for 30 reps each. Push-ups, Hindu squats, Burpees without a push-up, Lunges 15 each side, swings 15 x 2 x 1 hand or 30 x 2 hands, cleans 15 each hand, presses 15 each, jerk 15 each, squats (goblet x 30 or 1 handed rack 15 each side, or 2 kettlebells x 30 reps), and 30 high pulls. You can do any variation you want or any amount of reps to equal 300 total and do it for time. Track your times and try to get better every time you do it. I can tell you that 15 minutes is a pretty good benchmark for most people I've trained/trained with and have personally gotten to the 10 minute mark. You can make this as difficult as you want adding a sledge hammer, tractor tire, a TRX, gymnast's rings, or any other implements to make the exercises more difficult including higher weights.

I love kettlebells because of their versatility, especially for general fitness and have been using them since 2003 and certified since 2009.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

apocalypsepal
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead

Post by apocalypsepal » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:18 pm

Rule # 1: Cardio 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
In the animal kingdom, one of the keys to survival is to outwit your enemies.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson
More Tips and Products from Apocalypse Pal

CK14

Post by CK14 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Good on ya! Keep it up! :clap:

A few years ago I was up close to 200lbs. and I was terribly out of shape. I'm not a big guy and never have been. I looked at my kids and knew I had to do better so I can be around for them and show them the world. I think the toughest part of getting and keeping in shape is motivation, find it and keep it.
Pee when you can, eat when you can.

AraZombie

Post by AraZombie » Wed May 23, 2018 3:59 pm

I'm very proud of your motivation. There's a lot of exercises videos on Internet. I recommend you to watch them to make the right movements without injuries. First of all, remember to warm up and at the end cool down. As a yoga instructor I am, my advice to you is to include a yoga day in your routine, it would help you to increase your flexibility and make better movements while you exercise.

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed May 23, 2018 4:05 pm

I started with this one earlier this year

http://www.weightrainer.net/training/beginners.html

I used dumbbells for most because they were cheaper than barbells. Small store called pay it again sports that sells used and new stuff.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed May 23, 2018 7:27 pm

I'd be curious to see how OP is doing.... I hope well!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Return to “Urban Skillz”