Dominant hand dependency?

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Dominant hand dependency?

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:21 am

So I sprained my right hand the other day, and it sucked. I install car audio for a living and I couldn't do ANYTHING. Made me wonder, when the going gets rough and you put a dominant hand out of commission, how shit out of luck are you? Do any of you prepare for this possible sub disaster?

This incident prompted me to chop some wood lefty yesterday. When I started it felt all wrong and I wanted to do it with my right instead. Eventually I realized I was still standing like I was chopping right handed. This helped me improve to from awful to bad at lefty axe use. I'm going to try and do more left handed, I don't expect to be writing like Leonardo, but hopefully it will make me less useless when I can't do things right.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

ZombiePlace
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead (1985), Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dawn of the Dead (remake)

Re: Dominant hand dependency?

Post by ZombiePlace » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:51 am

My grandfather was ambidextrous but I am not, so since I was a little kid every once in a while i try to do tricks I can do with my dominant hand with my left hand.

I am better with most with my left hand, so yeah... try to do little exercises and tricks
ZombiePlace

When in doubt; decapitate!

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:33 am

I'm a righty and I broke my hand and a few fingers during my teens. Got halfway decent at performing tasks with my left. I'm still not to the point where I could call myself ambidextrous, but better than most.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Teqnikal
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land, AAAAAAAH ZOMBIES!!!

Post by Teqnikal » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:04 pm

I'm not truley ambidexterous. However, I wright left handed, shoot right, catch right or left, throw right. Decent shot with a pistol left (at 10yds).

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:47 pm

I've been practicing left handed point shooting. You know, in case I ever have to dual wield.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Wiping sucks when youre dominant hand is out of commision.....
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:06 pm

I do a lot of things with both hands, and some stuff I am actually better with my nondominant hand oddly. A lot of this has to do with me practicing a lot with my off hand, but also it might have to do with being born without one of my pec muscles. I was born without my left pec due to my arm being trapped up against my chest as an embryo. I think I would have been a leftie but due to the lack of that muscle turned to rightie for most tasks. When tasks don't need that missing muscle is when I tend to do better with my left over right.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

procyon

Post by procyon » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:35 pm

I'm a lefty by nature.
We tend to get fairly good using our off hand, because most eqipment isn't set up to use that way.

But it is still awkward. Best reason to have a support system. Everyone has stuff go wrong, and help can make all the difference.

But even with help, wiping will be my job as long as I am capable. Just saying...
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:02 pm

except writing i'm fully ambidextrous

but for self defence i use my left much more for defence than attack
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

ZombiePlace
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead (1985), Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dawn of the Dead (remake)

Post by ZombiePlace » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:55 am

thank god i shoot with my right arm and my right eye is my aiming eye

I have two friends who shoot with the right arm but their aiming eyes are left

that sucks
ZombiePlace

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:25 pm

ZombiePlace wrote:thank god i shoot with my right arm and my right eye is my aiming eye

I have two friends who shoot with the right arm but their aiming eyes are left

that sucks
Yep I am left eye dominant but right hand dominant. It does not make shooting all that easy.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ZombiePlace

Post by ZombiePlace » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:58 pm

I can't even imagine how I would shoot a rifle like that... a pistol ok, but a rifle I believe I would injure my head from the recoil :D
ZombiePlace

procyon

Post by procyon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:19 pm

I'm a lefty that is right eye dominant and shoots right handed.
But I learned that way since I was about 5 y/o, so it just feels natural to me.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Return to “Urban Skillz”