Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Bushcrafty camping.

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:59 am

Bushcrafty camping.

Sometimes I like to head out with a bit less gear and enjoy the outdoors. This offers me an opportunity to use those skills that I practice during my normal hiking and camping outings. Also any holiday means dirt time and had the tail end of the Labor Day weekend open after a family camping trip. I packed the following gear.

1. Eagle A-111 large pack.
2. Stainless Swedish mess kit pot.
3. Mora Robust and Brusletto Balder knives.
4. Fenix 1xAA headlamp.
5. Ridgerest closed cell pad.
6. Paracord with tie-offs.
7. Collapsible fishing pole with 1 hook and bobber.
8. One 34 oz Nalgene wide mouth canteen full of water.
9. 8 oz of bannock and one flat tin of anchovies.
10. 1 oz of bug spray.
11. Strike Force Firesteel.
12. 4 oz of oil in a 16 oz Nalgene canteen.

Some of the items were within their own bags and stuff sacks. For example I always pack the bug spray and any oil in zip lock bags in case of leaks. I always take my cell phone. This time I didn’t bring my FAK. My clothing consisted of a long sleeved thin synthetic shirt, cotton boxers (I couldn’t find my synthetic set), Gortex woodland pants, wool socks, boonie hat, Golite poncho and waterproof hiking boots. There is also the chance I forgot to list something packed or packed something and forgot about it. Wouldn't be the first time.

The single canteen of water was my #1 issue. It was hot and humid, one canteen wouldn’t last long. Without a filter I would have to boil and this would have to be done in camp. I enjoy wild edibles and started off collecting these grapes. The grapes were juicy providing a good sugar boost.

Found this wood sorrel. This is a wild edible with a lemon flavor. I was hoping to stuff the sorrel into a brookie or if the fishing didn’t work it could be eaten.

The Hickory nuts were green. This was a downer. :(

Picked some partridge berries under a Hemlock not too far from water. Classic around my AO. Also found some mixed in with moss very near water. Again not all that uncommon. I wouldn't exactly say these taste all that great, they often taste like nothing but edible just the same so into the pack.

Just some cool looking flowers and shrooms. Not edible to the best of my knowledge.

I picked up some tinder for the Strike Force firesteel. This included dry weeds, fluffy stuff and yellow birch bark. I have more detail on that in the video.

What the… Yup it’s a Mylar balloon. I had dreams of using this as a bag to hold trout but in the end it became a plate and water catch.

The water was low and sky steely. It made for a bad photo and worse fishing. I could see some nice trout but between the low water and hungry little sunfish and chubs/minnows/whatever there was little chance.

One pro to having a small kit is ease of setting up camp, but there is a down side. I was using a my raingear for a shelter. The poncho is a marginal tarp in terms of size and once setup as a shelter the raingear has been sacrificed until the camp is broken down. This means no jacket to keep the chill or mosquitoes at bay over night. I setup camp near a smaller brook. Here is a fast look around my camp.

The classic lean-to with simple pothook and fire ring. The poncho was pitched high with hood wrapped and tied to keep water from dripping through. This pitch is more for moderate rain without much wind. It has worked for me in the past but without a bivy bag the pitch is a bit of a risk. The fire ring was one step away from the edge of the tarp. I avoided problem fuels like Hemlock in favor of Oak, Black birch and Maple to reduce the risk of spark holes in the tarp.

Pack and boonie hat hung on an extra tie-off from the adjustable paracord ridgeline setup.

The view from under the tarp lean-to.

Simple pothook helping me out boiling water from a nearby brook.

One half of the goofy birthday balloon within a depression setup to collect rainwater. Why the heck not? :lol: It didn’t rain.

My kit and stuff collected from nature. The plate holding the wild edibles was another thing made from that balloon. After my trout/balloon bag pipe dream went bust I was determined to make that thing do something.

I didn’t have any fancy Ti sporks etc so made a fast set of black birch chop sticks. Like the simple pothook nothing I do is fancy. I placed the tin of anchovies on top of the remaining black birch leaves in the hopes anything dropped would fall on them rather than the dirt. I am good with the chopsticks so this sloppily done afterthought wasn’t put the test.

Boiling water with the bottom of the mess kit and cooking bannock with the top. Partridgeberry bannock was a first for me.

The final stages of what some might call a crazy radical bannock. :shock: :lol:

There wasn’t much else to be done so just tended the fire for a few hours and went to sleep. I have been officially made soft by the comforts of the Exped Downmat and Hennessy Hammock therefore didn't get a good sleep on just a closed cell pad. That and the occasional mosquito combined with slight overnight chill took some of the fun out of the adventure. Here is a video that includes a bit of firecraft not highlighed in the writeup plus the trip.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Bushcrafty camping.

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:55 am

Nice! :D

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:08 am

ERRR! MYLAR BALLOONS :vmad: Sorry, I hate those things.

Anywho--awesome trip WW! As always, very informative and inspirational. Thanks!
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:42 am

Awesome trip, Woods! Thanks for sharing!

That bannock looks yum-O! AND you've given me a great menu idea for my upcoming fishing trip. Sorry for the bad fishing luck but thanks sharing the idea!
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Nice little trip. Wish I could do one more in September while the getting is good so the packing can be small but that aint happeing here. October it is!
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:15 pm

man i need to get out for an overnighter! im ashamed to say that i havnt even been on a decent hike in what seems like months! :oops: been hella busy around the house, with work, and oh i got the wife pregnant AGAIN! time to get the nuts snipped! :gonk:

good looking trip WW. so, was the ballon for a birthday? did it say get well soon? or maybe it said congrats? :mrgreen:

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:17 pm

Stop makin' babies! :lol:

Speaking of going foam pad for the first time in years? Yerp. I did that a few weekends ago and it sucked pure poo. Could barely tell the difference. Great for sitting on but can't say much for ground insulation. Old, fat, and soft ... that's what I am. Plus, my night vision is going :cry:
President ZSC011

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:24 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:Stop makin' babies! :lol:

Speaking of going foam pad for the first time in years? Yerp. I did that a few weekends ago and it sucked pure poo. Could barely tell the difference. Great for sitting on but can't say much for ground insulation. Old, fat, and soft ... that's what I am. Plus, my night vision is going :cry:
Soon the young ones will leave you at the edge of the deep woods and not return. With your axe and shooting irons you should be able to make yourself an ending worthy of a song when the nightwalkers come for you in the great numbers they reserve for a venerable but sodded hero like yourself.

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

adv

Post by adv » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:26 am

Nice post, down here I pray for a slight chill at night.

Frosty709
Favorite Zombie Movies: most of them

Post by Frosty709 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:53 am

Dude you always have the best threads on this stuff. Love it.
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: Sorry.

Look at it this way. At least you aren't a zombie.

Or Pimpslick. :lol:
Follow me on twitter?

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Great post (as usual) :P

Tell me more about this Exped mat if you could . My 10 year old Thermarest gave up the ghost on my BWCA trip in June .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:22 pm

Congrats Darkside. The balloon was from a birthday but have no clue how far it could have floated from.

Gabe. The problem wasn’t the insulation. Without snow the Ridgerest has more than enough. I am just soft from the comfortable down mat.

Mk_ultra.

Exped pads are all the rage. :)

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_ho ... enframeset" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:34 pm

I love my Exped MK. I did go a bit overboard though and got the Exped Downmat 9. It's like getting a semi truck to move a couch. :lol: I'm looking for something a bit lighter and saving that DM9 for the winter only.
President ZSC011

GSHX2

Post by GSHX2 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:08 am

Nice outing!

I am getting ready to leave my hardcore ways behind. Arthritis in the knee, kinks in my back... Yep, all of the helling I did in the Army is catching up with me!

With everyone talking about the Exped like it is gold plated and tastes like strawberries I might have to break down. Never carried a two pound pad in my life but times they are a changing.

Thanks for sharing WW, getting ready to do a major re-vamp of my gear after saving and working tons of over-time the last year and if I see someone with way more experience than I have wanting to cushy it up a little that tells me something along the lines of that I am no longer hard, nor am I required to be. Save me some cash in buying what I will use and enjoy instead of what I have been using because it is all I know.
Gauging interest in a Colorado Springs Chapter:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=103461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100% Skill, 50% Luck

Guy Fawkes

Post by Guy Fawkes » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:15 pm

That looks like a freakin' awesome little adventure! I'd really like to just suddenly venture out and do stuff like that.
Google voluntaryism.

Nutpantz

Post by Nutpantz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Nice read, thanks for sharing.
Inspiration to leave the truck at home.
Equality can only exist between equals.
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

Return to “Bushcraft”