Method for keeping warm in the wild from Jeremiah Johnson

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

inflames363
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks Later, Land of the Dead, Day of the Dead(1985).....you know what all of them basically

Method for keeping warm in the wild from Jeremiah Johnson

Post by inflames363 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:59 am

So i'm sure many of you have seen the movie Jeremiah Johnson starring Robert Redford and at one point in the movie Jeremiah and Bear Claw Chris Lapp are camping out in the woods. When night comes they build a fire and before the goto sleep they dig into the ground just a little and place coals and embers from the fire in the hole, then pile dirt on top of this to keep them warm through the night. My question is would this really work. I'm mean it seems like an ingenius idea that would work but I could easily see it being some kinda of Hollywood think up.

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Re: Method for keeping warm in the wild from Jeremiah Johnso

Post by Regulator » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:16 am

Coals will warm the ground for a little while but will smother under the dirt. I'll sometimes make a long fire and before sleeping scrape it to one side and set my sleeping gear on the warm ground where the fire was. If you can dig into the dirt, you can bury heated rocks. I believe they stay warm longer than the coals do, although you generally have to dig a deeper hole. As far as that goes, digging holes will warm you right up too :D

Cherokee John

Post by Cherokee John » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:20 am

You talking about this bad-ass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver-Eating_Johnson

Why don't you just use rocks rather than embers? They stay warm and won't set you on fire. The river rocks might explode I've been told so choose them wisely. ( I've Never seen an exploding rock) I did the rock trick on a beach in Mexico from a cow manure fire with stones from the beach.
“Guns tell the truth. Guns never say, "I'm only kidding."
― Gustav Hasford, The Short-Timers

Browny
Favorite Zombie Movies: Probably not strictly a Z movie, but EvilDead has gotta be my fave. Bruce Campbell rocks!
(Maybe I also have a little chainsaw fetish, but thats just between us right !?)

Post by Browny » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:26 am

Id make a trench if possible, fill with suitable rocks, light fire on top, move fire aside and sleep on dirt over rocks/coals etc.

Camping with friends on their fathers farm years back, made a big fire one night, burned for half the night, and in the morning

the area was hot enough to produce steam when we hosed it all down.
Happiness is merely a temporary chemical imbalance of the true state of mind. JTHM

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:24 pm

Also,if you do it wrong, at least you'll make a hell of a signal fire.

Bout time you joined.... (mad max avatar, it's a dead giveaway) :mrgreen:

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:37 pm

I go winter camping a couple of times each winter in the Adirondacks, sometimes at temps well below zero...my gear is much happier when it's not getting holes burned into it, or bursting into flames...so I would avoid putting my gear (which keeps the cold from killing me) at risk form flames/coals, and work instead at keeping dry and out of the wind, which will keep me warm...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

3echo9

Post by 3echo9 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:59 pm

you betcha it works, but do one better. Build a teepee shelter over it and cover it with a parachute and snow, it'll keep several warm all night and into the next day. covering with dry dirt is better, or else you're sleeping on warm mud.
Three things i firmly believe in:
1. Sperare Dum Optimus Putare Ceterum
2. "Still got the shovel"
3. We are all one mold spore away from a zombie apocalypse...

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:16 pm

inflames363 wrote:So i'm sure many of you have seen the movie Jeremiah Johnson starring Robert Redford and at one point in the movie Jeremiah and Bear Claw Chris Lapp are camping out in the woods. When night comes they build a fire and before the goto sleep they dig into the ground just a little and place coals and embers from the fire in the hole, then pile dirt on top of this to keep them warm through the night. My question is would this really work. I'm mean it seems like an ingenius idea that would work but I could easily see it being some kinda of Hollywood think up.
I think you're talking about making a firebed. Here's some links...

How to Build a Survival Firebed By Ron Hood

How to Make a Firebed

Stay Warm in a Fire Bed

There's more to find, and a wide range of methods(or at least ideas). Try to think critically about how you are going to do this.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:35 pm

as said before, the best way is to put rock in the fire, dig a trench, take the rock out and put them inside the trench . refill the trench with the dirt. and prepare your bed with some pine branch to keep you from been in direct contact with the ground.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

inflames363
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks Later, Land of the Dead, Day of the Dead(1985).....you know what all of them basically

Post by inflames363 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:09 pm

Thats pretty interesting I've never heard of the rock method you guys have been saying and prolly would never think bout that......pretty freakin sweet!!!!!!! :D

inflames363

Post by inflames363 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:11 pm

SeerSavant wrote:Also,if you do it wrong, at least you'll make a hell of a signal fire.

Bout time you joined.... (mad max avatar, it's a dead giveaway) :mrgreen:
of course there was a reason I was him for halloween... and Mad Max felt fitting for this kinda forum after all he survived the wasteland of Australia and took out the Lord Humungus

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:12 pm

well rock as material is a pretty good thermal radiant . that why our house were made of stone, and also our oven to cook.

rock can contain and radiant heat for longer time than most other material.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Yeah, I've always heard of firebeds being based on stones and large rocks, the whole process takes some time, but hell, if it's that cold...

inflames363 wrote:... and Mad Max felt fitting for this kinda forum after all he survived the wasteland of Australia and took out the Lord Humungus

Ohh, we are far far more than post apocalyptic junkies, to be sure....
.........But I am thinking about the assless chaps.... you know... for ventilation and whatnot...

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:44 am

Kutter_0311 wrote:
inflames363 wrote:So i'm sure many of you have seen the movie Jeremiah Johnson starring Robert Redford and at one point in the movie Jeremiah and Bear Claw Chris Lapp are camping out in the woods. When night comes they build a fire and before the goto sleep they dig into the ground just a little and place coals and embers from the fire in the hole, then pile dirt on top of this to keep them warm through the night. My question is would this really work. I'm mean it seems like an ingenius idea that would work but I could easily see it being some kinda of Hollywood think up.
I think you're talking about making a firebed. Here's some links...

How to Make a Firebed

Stay Warm in a Fire Bed

There's more to find, and a wide range of methods(or at least ideas). Try to think critically about how you are going to do this.
Awesome links cutter! Thanks for sharing!!!
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:14 am

angelofwar wrote:
Kutter_0311 wrote:I think you're talking about making a firebed. Here's some links...

How to Make a Firebed

Stay Warm in a Fire Bed

I remembered reading about the method in a magazine, and it only took googleing a few key words to find a few places that had similar ideas on the process. In my neck of the woods, this could be a lifesaver, so it was certainly worth researching on my end. My only word of caution: if you don't take the time to train with something like this, you could end up making yourself into a tasty roast for the local wildlife, if not a signal fire for your corpse. This isn't something I'd try to put under your tent or even a sleeping bag. I'd put this in the last-ditch lost-in-the-woods skill column.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:21 am

Kutter_0311 wrote:
angelofwar wrote:
Kutter_0311 wrote:I think you're talking about making a firebed. Here's some links...

How to Make a Firebed

Stay Warm in a Fire Bed

I remembered reading about the method in a magazine, and it only took googleing a few key words to find a few places that had similar ideas on the process. In my neck of the woods, this could be a lifesaver, so it was certainly worth researching on my end. My only word of caution: if you don't take the time to train with something like this, you could end up making yourself into a tasty roast for the local wildlife, if not a signal fire for your corpse. This isn't something I'd try to put under your tent or even a sleeping bag. I'd put this in the last-ditch lost-in-the-woods skill column.
Well, where I'm at now (physically, and in life...), I have to practice most of my woodskills in the back-yard. Luckily, it's kind of wild back there with tree's, etc., as I can't get a "yard" to grow with-out a $4,000 investment. SO, I'll probably expirament with this this week-end. I'll try the "butt-cheek" method first, and if it seems to go good, I'll try the body sized one. Do I plan on using it? No. But if I'm ever stranded in the winter, if I have a choise between this and the cold ground, this sounds like a rather comfortable nights sleep. When I do try this, I will post pics to share with the ZS community. I'm all about practicing these types of skills now, in the safety of my yard, so when I really need to use it, there a lot less "learning pains". So far I've been able to perfect my hobo stoves, tent/shelter building, & various other arts 15' from the house :D .
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:47 am

angelofwar wrote:Well, where I'm at now (physically, and in life...), I have to practice most of my woodskills in the back-yard. Luckily, it's kind of wild back there with tree's, etc., as I can't get a "yard" to grow with-out a $4,000 investment. SO, I'll probably expirament with this this week-end. I'll try the "butt-cheek" method first, and if it seems to go good, I'll try the body sized one. Do I plan on using it? No. But if I'm ever stranded in the winter, if I have a choise between this and the cold ground, this sounds like a rather comfortable nights sleep. When I do try this, I will post pics to share with the ZS community. I'm all about practicing these types of skills now, in the safety of my yard, so when I really need to use it, there a lot less "learning pains". So far I've been able to perfect my hobo stoves, tent/shelter building, & various other arts 15' from the house :D .
I'm looking forward to learning from your practice! I don't get to play in the woods lately, mama needs my help with the babies most days.

Keep a pail of water handy. It can't hurt, right? :wink:

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:46 pm

I hearda rumor that MRE heaters work well like this as well. Dig a shallow hole, add the activated MRE heater and then recover with dirt. Haven't tired it myself so I can't vouche for it, just the source.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:01 pm

bacpacjac wrote:I hearda rumor that MRE heaters work well like this as well. Dig a shallow hole, add the activated MRE heater and then recover with dirt. Haven't tired it myself so I can't vouche for it, just the source.
Now here's something I have a bit of experience with...

In Korea, after a long, hot day of running fire & movement on Story Range, the sun set, the temps dropped, and the heavens spat upon us, so we set up poncho hooches. I had changed out of my sweaty, shit-covered cammies (rice patties are fertilized with shit, among other things) so I could crawl into my sleeping bag wearing cammies that were merely sopping wet. I don't generally use MRE heaters to heat MRE's, so I had a few in my pack to try an experiment with. Heaters get very hot when you dump water on them, so I theorized that they would get mildly warm when absorbing water from my wet cammies. I also knew that the exhaust from this reaction was toxic, so I planned to keep my face out the head hole, and vent the bag by my ears and forehead by tucking the lip under my chin. I stuck sections of heater in the pockets of my cammies and crawled into my bag, laying with my face under the overhang of a poncho hooch. I could feel the heaters warm up in my pockets, and the exhaust slowly warmed my whole sleeping bag.

Warning: MRE heater exhaust is toxic. If you warm your sleeping bag with MRE heaters, vent well, and don't expose yourself to the exhaust fumes. Wash your bag before snuggling into your bag later, as the toxic fumes may remain trapped in tour bag material.

flsgear
Favorite Zombie Movies: :D all of them I think O_O

Post by flsgear » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:41 pm

http://www.survival.com/?page_id=96" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

always remember the "tooferate" rule.

(TWO FOUR EIGHT)

read the link to see what it's about.
Owner, Messina's Front Line Survival Gear - website at http://www.flsgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!
Blog: flsgear.wordpress.com (mostly inactive)
Twitter: twitter.com/mmessina_author (active, not biz related)
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (very active)
Also part-time sci-fi author - http://amzn.to/vYUbTw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:53 pm

In the olden days, or of you lack gear, heating rocks and burying thme ot make a fire bed could be an option. I just carry the gear instead though.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

fourway
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'd have to go with Return.
It's pre-cgi, it's funny, the zombies are fast and they talk. Remember the half a corpse on the embalmer's table explaining why zombies eat brains?

Post by fourway » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Firebed type heating tends to be a poor choice if you are using a lot of modern synthetic gear and clothing.
If you are attempting the use of some sort of retro gear... canvas, furs, waddlework, woolens etc... any of your basic 25000BC through 1959AD kit this sort of thing makes some sense.
Shumway's Law: Bleeding will always stop on its own eventually

TAB
Favorite Zombie Movies: God has no favorites, why should I? There are so many, and so many different types of zombies, but here are some great ones that come to mind: "Evil Dead", "Re-animator", "Versus", and of course "Night of the Living Dead".

Post by TAB » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:12 am

Cherokee John wrote:You talking about this bad-ass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver-Eating_Johnson

Why don't you just use rocks rather than embers? They stay warm and won't set you on fire. The river rocks might explode I've been told so choose them wisely. ( I've Never seen an exploding rock) I did the rock trick on a beach in Mexico from a cow manure fire with stones from the beach.
They do explode, even the very flat ones. Quite a surprise when it happens even if you are waiting for it.
* Let it be known: Everything I say is only my own opinion except perhaps when I am quoting someone else.
Success is the realization that you are not only unique but also essential.
Ecoculture Village, a non-profit entity ~ rediscovering, rejuvenating, & reinventing
small rural communities… preparing, surviving, living!

Cherokee John

Post by Cherokee John » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:36 am

TAB wrote:
Cherokee John wrote:You talking about this bad-ass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver-Eating_Johnson

They do explode, even the very flat ones. Quite a surprise when it happens even if you are waiting for it.
Good to know!
“Guns tell the truth. Guns never say, "I'm only kidding."
― Gustav Hasford, The Short-Timers

Return to “Bushcraft”