yet another way to start a fire

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

thetommy

yet another way to start a fire

Post by thetommy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:10 am

OK, i know this has been brought up, over and over again. but i think i found something that hasn't been brought up before.
so you can start a fire by focusing the suns rays with a magnifying glass or something round and reflective.
but what is the best way? im looking for something light, small, and durable, to put in my pack to start fires if i ever run out of gas or lighter fluid.
i have already bought something like this http://www.stuff4sewing.com/page-size-m ... 37703.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
so i am wondering if there could be anything better.

(sorry if this has been brought up before, i didn't see anything in a search.

Frank

Re: yet another way to start a fire

Post by Frank » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:17 am

fresnel lenses are pretty much the standard when you're trying to start a fire using the focusing method. From what i hear you can purchase something similar at your local drugstore in the book/reading/card section? :?:
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:01 am

Frank wrote:fresnel lenses are pretty much the standard when you're trying to start a fire using the focusing method. From what i hear you can purchase something similar at your local drugstore in the book/reading/card section? :?:
CORRECT! Lots of people here carry them. You can find them the size of a credit card.

If you dont have a fresnel lens try this one! Amazing!
Use a condom to start a fire youtube

thetommy

Post by thetommy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:21 am

right, this is why i bought one. but i thought this could be better since it has a higher magnification then the sheet
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images ... elry&img=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Indiana

Post by Indiana » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:15 am

I bought one of those sheets and cut it into 9 credit card sized lens'. even the outer edge ones work you just need to off set them a bit

troll1000
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil (all of them), dawn of the dead, 28 days, 28 weeks.

Post by troll1000 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Indiana wrote:I bought one of those sheets and cut it into 9 credit card sized lens'. even the outer edge ones work you just need to off set them a bit
I was going to suggest this but I see you beat me to it. Well played sir.
"you may all to hell and i will go to Texas" - David Crockett
AR-10 why force entry when you can shoot them through the walls.

Return to “Bushcraft”