Bushcraft basics: Fire starting with Pine.

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Bushcraft basics: Fire starting with Pine.

Post by bacpacjac » Wed May 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Yeah! Not as big a score as I would have liked but it'll be a nice addition to the fire kit. You're right, ninja, just that little bit burned for quite some time once it got going.

Thanks for all your help, guys!
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:25 pm

They're like little nuggets of gold, ninja elbow. We some more last weekend, and have some stashed in our fire kits now. :)
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:52 am

The bad news is that my camera conked out part way through camp last weekend, so I didn't get any pictures of our fatwood find and processing. :( The good news is that I got a new camera so my son and I took pictures of what we did with it after we got it home.

The fatwood bundles we each came home from camp with:

The bacon:

We decided to ration it, and make ourselves new little fire starting kits with it, a couple of cans we found in the bush, and the char cloth we made at camp last weekend.

A little whittling:

And we get a nice tin of fatwood shavings and slivers for our next fire:

Add some jute twine a piece of char cloth from our last fire:

Secure it with a little Gorilla tape and a DIY ranger band:

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Those look perfect. Great harvest! :)
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Awesome thread! I picked up three nice medium size branches on our lasr MBO LOADED with fatwood. Mother Natures way of saying "Get a friggin' fire started...NOW" :)
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Return to “Bushcraft”