Pine Rosin Question

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Hawk_45
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead, Planet Terror.

Pine Rosin Question

Post by Hawk_45 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:03 am

I purified a couple of cups of pine resin by bringing it to a slow boil and maintaining the heat until I'd skimmed off all the debris and there was only a clear amber liquid remaining. I then poured it into a pair of Altoid tins and let it harden. It is now a rocklike consistency and is easily scraped into powder. I tried using some of the powder as tinder for my firesteel, but it wouldn't catch. Even when I tried putting it in a fire it didn't burn. It only melted. I understand it's a good firestarter, but I can't get it to work. Any ideas or tips?
Your best bet now is to abandon this username make a new one and re-introduce yourself and never speak of this again. - Finch

MacAttack

Re: Pine Rosin Question

Post by MacAttack » Wed May 13, 2009 12:06 am

Try thinning it with something flammable.

Hawk_45

Post by Hawk_45 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:07 am

Like a solvent?
Your best bet now is to abandon this username make a new one and re-introduce yourself and never speak of this again. - Finch

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Wed May 13, 2009 12:16 am

My guess is that if you could add turpentine.

Melting it down probably evaporated the flammables off.

Melt it down again.
As its cooling keep stirring in the Turpentine. If it ends up to liquid to stay inside the box add some more pine sap until its firm again.

If that doesn't work then I'm stumped.

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Wed May 13, 2009 12:17 am

Pine resin is the stuff that makes amber. I.e., a non-reactive semi-precious stone. I think it's all the stuff that you skimmed off of it that was flammable. I could be wrong, though.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

Hawk_45

Post by Hawk_45 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:20 am

I guess I'll have to keep experimenting with it.

Allen

Post by Allen » Wed May 13, 2009 7:29 am

I don't know why Your rosin won't burn, but I wanted to mention
that melted pine rosin mixed with wood ash makes glue.

I've seen Ray Mears make arrows with it.

Cheers!
Please excuse this gratuitous effort to increase My post count.
thefirebuilds wrote: your memory creeps me out kinda.
I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

Hawk_45

Post by Hawk_45 » Wed May 13, 2009 7:31 am

I knew about the glue part. I just can't get the reduced rosin to burn.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Wed May 13, 2009 6:04 pm

I have never had this problem, but then again I've never tried using powdered rosin as a fire starter. Works great was a waterproofing sealer for matches and boosts the burn, too. Not sure what the problem is, but I think it has to melt before it burns (sort of like another type of plant resin best left unmentioned here).

I wouldn't add turpentine if you're trying to make resin (untreated pine sap), since turpentine is what you're trying to boil out of the resin to make rosin (pine sap solids with the turps boiled out).
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Wed May 13, 2009 6:11 pm

The resin can be used to make hand made fire torchs. You soak the cloth in heated resin, then wrap the top of your torch shaft with the soaked cloth before it dries (use gloves or tongs). The resin doesn't catch easily, but it will burn for a long time after it does. It's why you leave a bit of cloth at the top that hasn't been soaked. That's what catches and the resin acts as a fuel source, like wax for a candle.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

Hawk_45

Post by Hawk_45 » Wed May 13, 2009 6:18 pm

Ok. That makes sense. Thanks guys.

DeltaFoxtrot66
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by DeltaFoxtrot66 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:38 pm

Hello Hawk, did you try to fire untreated resin with your firesteel? I'm wondering if the spark alone is enough to get a fire going. Whenever I used chunks of pine resin to help with a fire, I don't remember it being crazy flammable, but I do remember it turning kind of liquidy before it burned. Course, that's been awhile ago now. I also recall cutting Pine saplings at about a 45 degree angle, waiting a minute, and lighting the fresh sap. That always took off pretty good, so maybe freshness could be an issue? Let us know how it turns out. Peace, Dave.
First off the only reason i killed the jug is because i was told to by you people. Juice.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Moved to Bushcraft.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Hawk_45

Post by Hawk_45 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:39 am

Thread Necro?

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:45 am

I was clearing out some dead sales threads and ran into this so sent it here.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Hawk_45

Post by Hawk_45 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:27 pm

Ah. No problem; just curious.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:38 pm

"This awesome natural material is a great firestarter. Just add a highly flammable liquid." :lol:

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:49 am

Mix it with some ash from your fire & you have an emergency dental filling so I have heard.

HIX
Favorite Zombie Movies: most of them actually from the realistic to the hilarious.

Post by HIX » Thu May 27, 2010 6:22 pm

fill a metal container with a lid, pop a hole in the lid, and position it so that it can drip down into another can, build a fire around the the containers, and the liquid that drips into the can is your flammable substance. This was the way backwoodsman magazine said to do it at least.

Hachiman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Army of Darkness

Post by Hachiman » Thu May 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Molon Labe wrote:The resin can be used to make hand made fire torchs. You soak the cloth in heated resin, then wrap the top of your torch shaft with the soaked cloth before it dries (use gloves or tongs). The resin doesn't catch easily, but it will burn for a long time after it does. It's why you leave a bit of cloth at the top that hasn't been soaked. That's what catches and the resin acts as a fuel source, like wax for a candle.
I always used old cotton mop heads to make my torches. I use a green limb and create a layer of the cotton "string". Roll it in the molten pine resin, pull it out and rewrap before the first layer cools, on and on and on as big as you want to make it. It will be a hard wind that blows it out so keep in mind it will be hard to extinguish if you make a really big one. I always made mine no more than 2-3 layers so I didn't lose much if I had to quench it.
~Hachi~

ZS Fleet Number ZS-0140
brothaman wrote: you seem to like the abuse so I figured I'd jump in for a kick or 2.
ZSC:014 Texas Gulf Coast Chapter of Zombie Squad

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Fri May 28, 2010 12:23 am

Wrap it in fancy paper/foil and put a snobby euro-trash name on it. Sell it to your local musicians for $40 an ounce. They use it for violins, cellos and bass strings and bows. Dancers and boxers use it on their shoes to prevent slipping.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Fri May 28, 2010 12:43 am

The reason fresh, liquid pine sap ignites easily, is the presence of natural turpentine. Pine rosin, on it's own, has a higher flash point than the turpentine, and that's why the heated and cooled rosin isn't catching- the turp would have ignited at a lower temp, and burned at a temp above the rosin's flash point. In your processing, you have evaporated the turpentine, and any other volatiles, leaving the high ignition temperature stuff behind as a liquid. So, storing rosin ans a fire STARTER is not a good idea, but adding it to tinder to keep the fire GOING, would be cool, as it's hard for the odd breeze to puff it out. This is also why it works well as a windproofing on matches.

Once you have processed your rosin, there's a bunch of uses for it, some mentioned above, and one that I didn't see was......chewing gum. Yes, it makes a dandy, if rather tasteless, chewing gum. So if you're jonesin' for a chew, there's your PAW substitute. An improvised torch can be made from a green limb by just splitting the end up into a bristle like arrangement, and lighting it (again, before all the turpentine evaporates). There are certain types of pines that were used to make tar from, used in shipping on a variety of things as a waterproofing. If not for this fact, my ancestors would quite possibly have never arrived in America!
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

jdavidboyd

Post by jdavidboyd » Fri May 28, 2010 12:45 pm

MacAttack wrote:Try thinning it with something flammable.

Yes, thin it down with some gasoline. It will (probably) burn then! :->
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?

Raydarkhorse

Post by Raydarkhorse » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:16 am

Pine sap is good for fire starting bioled down like you did it's good for a hot glue. Sap has lots of different applications depending on how it's processed. If you want to start fires with it pick it off the tree and keep it in a pill bottle or something. When you boiled it you boiled out the majority of the volitiles that make it flamable.

Return to “Bushcraft”