Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Has anyone heard of scaring sticks

Post by doitnstyle1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:46 am

I read an article on artifacts thawing out of receding glaciers and found an interesting comment about scaring sticks used for hunting. According tothe article one meter stick with a very light object tied to the top that would blow in the wind would start on migrating herds and direct them towards hunters
This is the first time I've even heard of these and it intrigues me

https://secretsoftheice.com/news/2016/1 ... ng-sticks/
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

tedbeau

Re: Has anyone heard of scaring sticks

Post by tedbeau » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:27 am

First I have heard of them, Interesting idea. makes a lot of sense.
It does remind me of a great article I read a few years ago about funneling game.
The author mentioned an example he noticed concerning elk. They had a fence around their property and one time a small tree fell on the fence. It pushed the top of the fence wire down about 6 inches on a 4 foot fence. The elk or deer, I'm not 100 percent which he said it was, would travel 500 or 600 yards along to fence to jump the fence at the low point. They could of course jump anywhere and easily clear the fence, but they chose to go to the lowest point. The proof was in the tracks in the snow. The author found many sets of tracks all converging at the low point. Once the animals discovered the access point it became part of their routine to cross the fence there.
Good information to squirrel away for the next time your setting up a deer blind. Either find a natural funnel, or create one. I'm not suggesting damaging a fence, but if you can convince the game that a certain point provides easier passage it may convince them to cross where your set up.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Re: Has anyone heard of scaring sticks

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:09 pm

Interesting. Came across them several times in books in the past few months. In Barbara Kingsolver's book, The Poisonwood Bible, a village in the Congo uses them to drive animals into a killing zone. In Thomas Berger's book, Little Big Man, the Human Beings (Cheyenne) use them to drive plains animals into a killing zone. It's funny that my father always tells me this story about a rabbi whenever I try to point out to him something that is new. 1 Kings 3:1-15 tells of God giving Solomon wisdom. He then went on to write a book titled Ecclesiastes. One of it's central themes: There is no new thing under the sun.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Bushcraft”