Bear attack in Connecticut.

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Bear attack in Connecticut.

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:05 pm

Just went over the news. Sounds like a women walking her dog on a local trail in Simsbury Connecticut. Will get more news later though it sounds like she is ok (minor injuries) and the DEP killed the bear. Not surprised as the State is crawling with um. I had multiple encounters during my hikes and by the house.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Bear attack in Connecticut.

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Glad she's OK

I just read in the news, not sure what state (popped up on my homepage) about a woman getting surrounded and attacked by a pack of coyotes in her suburban neighborhood.

Not to lean towards politics, but I think there will continue to be issues as humans further encroach on wilderness and animals realize they can thrive/get free meals and are "protected" in human areas. Mix that with a decline in hunting and increase in regulations... you have a perfect storm.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:44 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:Glad she's OK

I just read in the news, not sure what state (popped up on my homepage) about a woman getting surrounded and attacked by a pack of coyotes in her suburban neighborhood.

Not to lean towards politics, but I think there will continue to be issues as humans further encroach on wilderness and animals realize they can thrive/get free meals and are "protected" in human areas. Mix that with a decline in hunting and increase in regulations... you have a perfect storm.
Humans have lived all over North America for tens of thousands of years.
This has far less to do with "encroaching" on wilderness (how much of that has there been in Connecticut in the last few hundred years,BTW?) and a whole lot more about people no longer thinking it's acceptable to reinforce the perception of humans as being an apex predator to other predator species by killing the bolder, more aggressive members of those species anytime they threaten a human.
I'm not saying anyone should be out there trying to wipe predator species out, but it shouldn't be cause for hand wringing if and when someone shoots a coyote or bear that thinks it can trot right up to a human. The coyote wouldn't try that with a bear because it knows it probably wouldn't survive.
By NOT keeping this same dynamic with other predators we're actually putting them in greater danger of coming into conflict with humans, and that never ends well for the predator species in the long run. As long as they're scared of us they'll stay away and be safe. When they loose the fear they come in close and end up dead. Better a few die to keep that as a lesson taught to the young of the species than swaths of them being killed periodically when they become a "nuisance".
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:57 pm

I have black and brown bears that run up and down my street. I hate living in a wildlife park where I'm on the menu....

If they paid taxes, I guess I would be a little less hacked. Having the grandkids over means packing...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:42 pm

TacAir wrote:I have black and brown bears that run up and down my street. I hate living in a wildlife park where I'm on the menu....

If they paid taxes, I guess I would be a little less hacked. Having the grandkids over means packing...
Not much difference than some poor schmo living in the hood. Except for the clean air, stifling numbers of population, lack of beautiful vistas, noise, pollution . Oh and the predators in the hood are actually really evil.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:47 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:Glad she's OK

Oddly enough it is the other way around or at least in my state. Back in the 70's there was no bears, coyotes, fisher cats, moose, few turkeys, few bob cats or porcupines. Even the deer were on a serious decline. But now the wilderness has encroached on the state. The forests have regrown, in fact NE is the most forested area in the country. Now too long ago (within nature's terms) it was clear cut. The industrial base has collapsed etc etc etc. So the pollution is way down. The critters came flooding back in. This is ok as makes my outings more interesting. Now have to yell "hay bear" in some spots. :lol:

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:55 am

flybynight wrote:
TacAir wrote:I have black and brown bears that run up and down my street. I hate living in a wildlife park where I'm on the menu....

Not much difference than some poor schmo living in the hood. Except for the clean air, stifling numbers of population, lack of beautiful vistas, noise, pollution . Oh and the predators in the hood are actually really evil.
Given that Anchorage is now rated as the 5th most violent city on the west coast - we have all that and bears..... I'd be happy to take a pass on both, but lack a time machine....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:04 pm

I sure didn't forget the pepper spray (and gun) last night.

Here is one I sent packing (sorta) up the driveway.

Return to “Bushcraft”