History Channel Alone survival series

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: History Channel Alone survival series

Post by Halfapint » Tue May 24, 2016 6:51 pm

ineffableone wrote:Nicole just is awesome. She is doing some good bushcraft and camp building and her attitude is just so positive and lifting. I think she is likely the one I look forward to seeing the most on the show since she has the right combo of positive attitude, knowledge, and skills.

Justin who built a gym and is working out I suspect wont last much longer. While I liked when he built the swing and talked about fun helping keep spirits up, I was in full agreement. But when he started talking about working out and building a gym, he lost me. Calories wasted on working out for no reward other than to work out is just not a wise strategy. While he might not immediately feel the issue, I suspect he will end up having problems due to neglecting core survival over trying to just vacation.
Spot on I think I'll be rooting for Nicole, you're correct she has a fantastic personality as well as knowledge. Justin, I have the same feeling about, burning through calories just to work out (although the moral boost can help) will be a bad downfall if hes not taking in a lot of food.

I forgot who it was but looking at his net needle he made and the gill net..... that was just impressive. Seriously I didn't really like the guy prior but making a gill net from scratch is straight up bad ass. That is something I think I might try to make out of fishing line just for giggles, would be a good item to have here in the PNW as clearly shown on the show.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Fri May 27, 2016 4:51 am

Up to day 17 now and all 7 contestants are still there. Even the contestants who last week looked like food was a problem are now getting a steady supply.

Now the problems seem more psychological than physical. Many of the contestants are upbeat and focused, but some others are spiraling down. It's clear those troubled people are not cut out for prolonged isolation. That's a big reason why I think it's wrong to think Justin will be an early drop out. Justin is very upbeat and forward focused.

But for all those who remain, applause is in order. They are doing very well compared to the last season of Alone. Aside from simple longevity, this seasons contestants also seem to be coping with the physical challenges with greater success and comfort.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri May 27, 2016 9:10 pm

I have a feeling Che here was talking about the 1st season of Alone in his early ranting about a show he didn't get chosen for and how instead they did choose people with drama who wouldn't last.

"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sat May 28, 2016 6:16 pm

ineffableone wrote:I have a feeling Che here was talking about the 1st season of Alone in his early ranting about a show he didn't get chosen for and how instead they did choose people with drama who wouldn't last.

Had to dig to find that video. zs embed will not display in my browser.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue May 31, 2016 1:55 am

Well caught up with the latest episode, I had been away for the weekend once again.

Man Larry, good job moving out and trying to find a better location, it paid off. That guy needed that so much. Though still has the mood swing issue, but nice to hear him admit it and discuss it a little. While falling down that slope well just understandable you would be constantly frustrated. Once he was in a better place however, it became clear that is just part of his personality.

Nicole, man that girl is living it. She seems to have it down, and the mental game is now the issue for her. Seems like she has pretty close to the ideal location, such opposite of what Larry had been faced with at the start.

Randy seems to be falling into the Lucas getting into his own head thing. Thinking "what else can I get from this place" Dude your rocking it past survival and into thrival time. There is no way you have built everything you could build. Do you have a boat? A musical instrument? How about bow and arrows? A smoke house to preserve meat? On and on the list goes of things you could build. Trying to say there is nothing left to build is a cop out trying to talk yourself into tapping out. Even his whole "I want to quite on a high note" really everything he is saying is he decided he will tap soon, and is just trying to figure out when and how to justify it.

LOL, that boat was awesome. Though we didn't get to see him use it much. I wasn't too sure how well it would work, but seemed to be a great boat. Little restricting on paddle strokes, and the sides seemed like they were a bit high causing him to reach over awkwardly. But still super awesome and massive time saver on building a boat to find something so ready to be turned into one.

The other boat, while I applaud his knowledge ans skills for boat building from raw materials, if your worried about making it to the salmon run in time then you need to figure out short cuts, LIke finding ready floating items to turn into a boat.

Overt all a good episode, showing more thriving now, and more skills demoed.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue May 31, 2016 7:55 pm

Exactly what I had to say. I'm horrible with names but some of these contestants seem like they could probably over winter. A smoke house would be all that needed, well along with an atlatl or a good bow and arrow to hunt game. I'm surprised no one is making use of traps. I know some did early on, but traps are so easy to make. They are something you could when bored/need a break and set out to try and get food.

I'm really impressed with what some of these people are building and I'm adding to my catalog of things to try. Next step running water into the camps that have a stream/river nearby!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:50 pm

I'm really impressed with Nicole as well, especially considering how she's handling the bears vs. some of the other contestants. She's being respectful and understanding how dangerous they can be, but she's not just freaking out about it and hitting the panic button because "omg there's a bear!!!". She's understanding her role in the ecology of the place and she seems to really know her limits and not try to be something she's not, while demonstrating some really solid survival and wilderness skills. I hope she continues to do well.

modustollens

Post by modustollens » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:23 pm

I just started watching. Only at the end of episode 2.

I can't believe someone else lost a fire-steel...

WTF?

MT
My homemade stove:Homemade Backpack Stove
Radio Page: VE3EFQ

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:20 am

Day 22

And then there were 5! After almost two weeks with no one dropping out, we get two more tapping out, and neither one of them was Legs Justin. Hah!

Some people, despite their formidable skills, are just not cut out for isolation. Goodbye and Godspeed, Mad Mike and Fireman Randy. May civilization restore your frayed nerves.

And again, hammock to the rescue! As Legs Justin retrieves his hammock from the drink where he had been using it as a gill-net, to give his backside a dry place to sleep after his shelter flooded. Batman should have a hammock in his utility belt.

Actually that whole business with the flooded shelter brings up an interesting issue about survival. Is it better to build up a shelter, make it bombproof; or keep the shelter spartan and possibly mobile, the better to ease relocation when necessary? Keeping in mind: Winter Is Coming!

And poor Starving David is still starving? What the heck? The previous episode made it look like SD had solved his food problem, but I guess not. Most likely he will be the next contestant to tap out.

bufordtjustice

Post by bufordtjustice » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:03 pm

gunsandrockets wrote:
Some people, despite their formidable skills, are just not cut out for isolation.
In my humble opinion, I think you have summed up one of the two main takeaways from the show very nicely.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:26 pm

bufordtjustice wrote:
gunsandrockets wrote:
Some people, despite their formidable skills, are just not cut out for isolation.
In my humble opinion, I think you have summed up one of the two main takeaways from the show very nicely.
I think this is part of what the video from Ontario Prepper was talking about. That they pick people with issues with isolation, over those who might have skills and no problem with being isolated. As well as just picking people with emotional and psychological baggage who might not have the necessary skill set. It seems like most "reality" shows, they intentionally look for people who will boost drama to make for exciting TV for the dumb masses. Sadly education of true survival skills seems to be the least of the producer's concerns. They seem to edit to play up the drama over the skills.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:24 pm

ineffableone wrote:
bufordtjustice wrote:
gunsandrockets wrote:
I think this is part of what the video from Ontario Prepper was talking about. That they pick people with issues with isolation, over those who might have skills and no problem with being isolated. As well as just picking people with emotional and psychological baggage who might not have the necessary skill set. It seems like most "reality" shows, they intentionally look for people who will boost drama to make for exciting TV for the dumb masses. Sadly education of true survival skills seems to be the least of the producer's concerns. They seem to edit to play up the drama over the skills.
I agree. And that's a real shame. A show like this has so much potential to show how REAL skills and knowledge can take you a long way in a bad situation. I mean there are definitely lots of contestants on the show who do a great job with that, but I'd personally rather see more of the "boring" skills than the drama and moaning.

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:34 pm

ineffableone wrote:
bufordtjustice wrote:
gunsandrockets wrote:
I don't think that is fair of the people we have seen this season. They clearly are skilled, and even Mike and Randy who couldn't take the isolation lasted three weeks. I didn't see anything obvious about those people that somehow the producers keyed off on and picked because the producers thought those contestants were weak.

I don't doubt the shenanigans you described did take place in first season, and the results were people dropping like flies. If anything, the show seems to have tried to go the opposite direction this season and even given the people selected a heads up as to the locale of the game.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:14 pm

Well we had one guy who couldn't last a day on the island. Another woman who tapped because she got aggressive with bear coming into her camp, not that the bear scared her, or she had poor skills. And there has been a nonstop complaint from contestants about how hard it is to be alone, and how much they miss their families. Randy who over came losing his ferro rod, couldn't handle being alone. Decided he was going to tap and started searching for excuses to tap out. The guy had mad skills, but just couldn't hack being by himself.

So yes I feel it is quite fair to say they pick the participants less on their survival skills and more based on their drama production factors. This season sure they had many more skilled individuals. However these folks still are not folks who seem to be emotionally able to handle being solo for just a few weeks.

I prefer going camping for 2 weeks at a time, hiking in and setting up a base camp then spending my time exploring a region. I typically do this alone. I have never once had an issue of missing people in 2 weeks being out there. In fact I tend to be happiest when I end up avoiding any human contact out in the woods and get slightly disappointed if I encounter other humans (though stay friendly with then if I do meet them). The times I have been able to do longer trips, maybe after a month or so I might start having a little mellow interest in human contact. But nothing like the emotional roller coasters they show in this program. Really it just becomes a little desire to have someone to talk to rather than a serious issue of missing human contact.

I know I am not alone in this, as I have had contact with plenty of other folks like me. So when I see the show and how people are breaking down and getting extremely emotional in just weeks of being out by themselves, I really can't see the reason other than these people were picked because the producers knew they would have this sort of dramatic reaction.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

bufordtjustice

Post by bufordtjustice » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:37 pm

ineffableone wrote: I know I am not alone in this, as I have had contact with plenty of other folks like me. So when I see the show and how people are breaking down and getting extremely emotional in just weeks of being out by themselves, I really can't see the reason other than these people were picked because the producers knew they would have this sort of dramatic reaction.
You definitely are not alone (no pun intended) in your thoughts. That's really the most logical explanation. They screen people for basic skills so they don't die and for personality traits that will make for good tv. This is not a random experiment.

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:42 pm

I'm not going to trash talk the current contestants. Especially based on what little we get to see that gets past the editing process. And from watching the "a deeper cut" reruns, I think much of the trash talk is not sustainable.

I note that Legs Justin is still there, despite some people who thought HE was weak, who thought Justin would be next to tap out.

I think Jose will probably win, but man will I laugh if it turns out to be Justin!

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:23 am

gunsandrockets wrote:I'm not going to trash talk the current contestants. Especially based on what little we get to see that gets past the editing process. And from watching the "a deeper cut" reruns, I think much of the trash talk is not sustainable.

I note that Legs Justin is still there, despite some people who thought HE was weak, who thought Justin would be next to tap out.

I think Jose will probably win, but man will I laugh if it turns out to be Justin!
I don't think I am "trash talking" the contestants. I would admit to trash talking the producers however. Personally I give every single contestant props, even Desmond who dropped out in a matter of hours. He got off the couch and went and tried this. MK, got an injury doing an axe technique that many mistakenly use. I have seen many other contestants doing the exact same technique on the show and have heard many folks online admitting seeing MK hurt herself has motivated them to stop using that technique. I don't fault MK for having the bad luck of being the poster child for axe safety, it really sucks she got knocked out for it. Tracy I really wish had stuck around longer, I think we could have all gotten a lot of great stuff from her and I don't disparage her leaving. I think she likely had emotional baggage that got brought out, and feel bad that she wasn't able to work through it but don't fault her tapping because of it. I have no problems with any one of these folks doing the show. My issue is the selection process and production, even placement of contestants. Larry got shafted with his location, when just a little ways away there was a much more suitable location. Why drop him in the crap spot when others got so much better stating positions?

As for Justin, I think I said
Justin who built a gym and is working out I suspect wont last much longer. While I liked when he built the swing and talked about fun helping keep spirits up, I was in full agreement. But when he started talking about working out and building a gym, he lost me. Calories wasted on working out for no reward other than to work out is just not a wise strategy. While he might not immediately feel the issue, I suspect he will end up having problems due to neglecting core survival over trying to just vacation.
I don't think I called him WEAK at any point. Rather I said it might not be an immediate issue but that wasting calories in survival is not a wise move. Eventually you will regret those lost calories. There is a reason Allen won 1st season, if he didn't have to waste energy he didn't. Allen literally laid in his shelter for days conserving energy. I little moral boast swinging, sure I was supportive of that. But when it was building a gym and working out that just seemed a huge waste.

Now I do have to admit, I underestimated Justin's motivation. He seemed to be acting like it was a vacation. It is obvious to me now he is doing the show to bring awareness to the very big veteran issues of suicide and adjusting to civilian life. He had mentioned it previously, but he really got into it when discussing the hike up the mountain. It really made me realize how dedicated he is to this issue, and how that issue drives Justin powerfully. I suspect he would do about anything if it meant saving just one or two vets who were suffering adjustment issues and were suicidal.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:56 pm

Once again isolation has proven to be the toughest foe. Heck, I dream about isolation. Having a job where you talk to 60 people a day, being left the hell alone is a dream of mine. Backpacked solo for 10 days one time and can't say I missed contact. Especially enjoyed no tv or news.

It appears Angry Dave is in the zone. Jose will be the man to beat, unless loneliness gets him. The most qualified folks peaked early and faded fast. Hate we lost Nicole.
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:18 am

Down to three. Congrats to all who remain.

Hats off especially to Starving David. He managed to persevere through his doubts and hunger, and find alternate sources of food after all.

Hippy Nicole? I'm sort of surprised she left. Even though worry for her children clearly weighed on her mind, I think the real breaking point for her was the loss of food supply. She had an abundance before, and suddenly it was all cut off and she couldn't find any alternatives to replace it.

Legs Justin? Man, after everything he went through and managed to come out on top (literally!), I was disappointed he suddenly lost heart and went home.

Of the final three contestants? I'm still betting on Jose for the win. I think only some surprise reversal stands in the way of his ultimate victory.

The next one to tap out? Oh, no question Angry Larry. Maybe I should start calling him Bored Larry. In fact they spent so much airtime on him and his boredom crisis I was really surprised to see Hippy Nicole tap out before hime.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:25 am

Yep sad to see Nicole go, and yes I think a big part had to do with the salmon run ending. She had been dependent on that and hadn't really explored other food source options other than supplemental greens which ended with the run. She was actually getting an over abundance of food and this limited her thinking about food. When she released that extra salmon I was quietly saying "no you will need that when the run ends, make salmon jerky with it" But we have yet to see anyone thinking that long term so far. No one has yet started preserving food and making a stockpile for winter. Like the bear, she could have been gathering huckleberries and drying them. Trying to catch extra salmon and making jerky, but I just don't think anyone has that long term thinking yet. It has all been short term get calories for today. Nicole was the only one this season who really had a set up of constant calories where she might have been able to think of building up a winter stock of food reserves. Everyone else had struggled to get enough.

I don't see Jose as clear of being the man to beat. Does he have skills and knowledge, sure. But he is already talking about the prize money isn't motivation at this point, seeing his wife is. He is already starting to talk himself into being ok with leaving. He has proven he can do it out there, and has demoed his skills, he is now looking toward return to his wife. While he could stick it out, he has started prepping himself to let go and tap. At this point it is just a matter of will he tap out to go see his wife before the others do. He has started his path to talking himself into tapping but hasn't gotten fully there yet. We see in the preview he has his gill net destroyed, will that be enough to get him to go? Or will he need to talk himself into it more?

David, I think he is just stubborn as hell as well as he really is motivated by the prize. Not for himself but to provide for his family in a way he has been unable to in the past. He is the type of guy who just keeps getting up anytime he is knocked down. I think he is kinda the guy to beat at this point. He doesn't want to give up, and has a serious motivation to win the prize. I think it would take a huge blow to knock him out. A shelter collapse, loss of vital tools, injury, etc before he tosses in the towel.

Larry, he has huge emotional swings. Now the weather is going bad, it will likely effect his metal outlook a lot. So I could see him tapping soon, but then you just never know. One little stroke of luck could turn him around and he could be on top of the world again. He is a wild card who is difficult to predict.

I do have to say, this season has been a lot better than the first. Just in simply a better cast. Not having the bulk of the cast tap in the first 2 weeks has made this season so much better. Of course next season in Patagonia is going to be very different. I look forward to that one. New location, and 2 season of prepping new cast to the realities of what it is like.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:31 pm

Patagonia?? We'll have a winner in 25 days or less.
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.

Flying Lead

Post by Flying Lead » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:35 am

The Master of Anger has prevailed! Shocking the other two up and called it quits.

I am kind of disappointed the way it ended. One finally cracked and the Spaniard got his ass wet then gave up. Really!

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:11 pm

Caught up finally last night.

Super stoked that David, the BCUSA member won. I told ya he would be hard to beat.

That said, they were all great. Props to every single one even Desmond who didn't last a day. They all got off their asses and got boots on the ground and hands dirty. I really liked how many really stuck it out. I also like that what knocked people out mostly wasn't lack of skills or knowledge but the solitude and mental fortitude of dealing with being out there.

I think what truly broke Larry at the end there was he realized he was willing to stay until he died. That realization snapped him to reality long enough to decide to tap to not go to that big of an extreme.

I still wish Tracy had been able to stick it out longer, I think she would have had some great stuff if she had not had the inner demons that caused her early tap.

I also think Mary Kate would have done really well if not for her accident. And BTW, if you watch the show paying attention to the axe work of many of the finalists, many of them were doing exactly the same thing that ended up cutting MK. The one positive of MK's accident is I think it has woken a lot of people up to axe safety. Use a sissy stick people. It is a life saver.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:59 am

I'm not surprised Angry Larry tapped out. He was clearly cracking in the earlier episode and the last episode showed he was also starving.

Jose is an interesting case. I had never seen any indication in a previous episode that food was a serious problem for him. In fact he was shown planning on harvesting excess food that he could store away for winter, which was the whole purpose of building the kayak to reach the salmon run across the bay. The only failure they showed was Jose reaching the salmon run too late to harvest it like he hoped.

But in the last episode for the first time we see Jose starving. Before that episode the only apparent problem they had shown was Jose pining for his wife, but even that seemed mere melancholy more than a crisis. I thought it was very strange when Jose decided to use the kayak to replace in the same spot his gill net that he already admitted wasn't producing anymore. The dunking Jose took in a kayak with marginal stability while handling that bulky load was hardly surprising.

In fact, I have to wonder if that spill was a little too convenient. Did Jose stage that spill to give him a face saving way to tap out? Did anyone else find it odd how Jose was still standing in the water by the time the rescue team arrived? Yes it is an unpleasant suspicion but I guess I am just a suspicious person.

Still congrats to the winner Starving David, who though grit and hard work came up with more food for more time than any others among the final four contestants. In fact I have to wonder if the hard time Starving David seemed to have in the beginning gave him a greater appreciation and focus for finding food and a determination to try different methods, than some of the other contestants who seemed to have plenty of food until Winter struck.

I think something that came out clearly for the final contestants was the interaction between mood and food. Low food contributed to cracking up, and cracking up contributed to inferior food production. A vicious cycle of defeat.

Return to “Bushcraft”