History Channel Alone survival series

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: History Channel Alone survival series

Post by Halfapint » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:19 am

Honestly didn't watch the first season due to..... Well it sounded cool but I thought was gimmicky. Watched the last episode and was impressed.

The first thing I liked about the first episode was they used the winner of last season to narrate, I gotta say.... Enjoy his voice. Second is that all but what? One? Two? People had shit shelters. The person from AK got moist the first night. Stupid.

Also the guy that tapped out, I laughed out loud when he said "I've never seen a forest like this". Well no shit, I laugh everytime someone fir the south, southwest, or southern Cali come up here and realize everything wet. Dry is less than 50% moisture content.

Anyways..... The few people they showed seemed to have their wits about them. Will probably watch.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:14 pm

Ok since Desmond is a hot topic since he dropped out in 7hrs, I will first weigh in on his early tap out.

After seeing his making the cut, I suspected he wouldn't last long for a few reasons. His high social and family connections seemed to point to being alone would seriously effect his mental outlook. His bravado and swagger about predators indicated he was not taking the issue seriously and when faced with the reality he would likely not be prepared. Again bravado and swagger about staying fed spoke to him not taking the challenges of the adventure seriously. Finally the biggest thing that told me he wouldn't last long, he was there for the money.

Something great about season 1 was I don't think any of the people even worried about the prize money. When mentioning it they all seemed more focused with personal quest, skills challenges, finding themselves, etc. Desmond was the only person this season who I have heard make the statement he was there to win the money and improve his family's life. That sort of motivation is easy to loose in the face of PNW survival.

Now to give Desmond a bit of a boost back up, I did not expect him to drop out so fast. Sure I didn't think he would stick it out, but I thought he had enough going to make it several days. What seems to have gotten him is what got the early drop outs from last season. He psyched himself out about the predators. He didn't even have a actual encounter, just scat. But he let it get into his head and it over powered his motivation. I am sure being completely alone and isolated also played a huge factor for him tapping out. In the end while disappointing he dropped out so fast, I respect his ability to realize he bit off more than he could handle. I would much rather see him drop out fast, than get seriously hurt.

Now for the others.

Tracy, I like her. At first I was wondering how well she would do. But she seems to acknowledge her limits as someone overweight and uses her head to think things through. That sort of deliberate and planned out thinking can get you a long ways in survival. I look forward to seeing more from her.

Larry I feel a bit bad for, his location seems to be fairly poor and it will (pun intended) be an up hill battle. His location needs serious scouting around to find a decent camp location. Which is not an easy task. He will end up burning a lot of energy in that area going up and down slope. I hope he can find a better spot to set up in.

It really sucks that Mary Kate's shelter wasn't done better and she got her gear all wet. Especially having a down bag. I hear folks not from the PNW sing the praises of down, and yes down is great if your not in a rainforest. In the PNW down is a liability that really just doesn't work out well unless your up above the tree line in the drier snow. She seemed to have hurried her shelter just thinking it was temporary and didn't think it through. Tough break, and one that will effect her for awhile to come. I have to say I have been a bit surprised by her lack of thinking things through. Being a hot shot and from an off grid AK home I expected her to do better.

I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the cast, though as we learned last season. To be featured and shown early or repeatedly tends to be an indicator your not going to last long. So longer we don't see people, or less footage we get of them, better chance they go the distance if things hold to how it has gone.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:19 pm

Halfapint wrote:Honestly didn't watch the first season due to..... Well it sounded cool but I thought was gimmicky. Watched the last episode and was impressed.
You missed out and might want to go back and watch season 1. If for no other reason than being a PNWer it is fun to watch folks not from the region struggle with what we deal with as a matter of course. And while it might sound gimmicky, it was actually one of the better 'reality" shows out there. The Les Stroud style self filming really makes it a step above the scripted survival shows out there.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:42 pm

ineffableone wrote:And while it might sound gimmicky, it was actually one of the better 'reality" shows out there. The Les Stroud style self filming really makes it a step above the scripted survival shows out there.
This is one of the reasons I really liked last season, and am working on building up a few episodes of this season to watch all in one go. Sure, I watch Naked and Afraid for the lulz, and Dual Survival because I might actually learn a thing or two, but my favorite shows have always been real survival shows. Alone, Survivorman, and National Geographic's Ultimate Survival Alaska series are all great because none of it is scripted and it's all about real people thrown in real situations in order to achieve real results. Which is one reason why I'm disappointed NatGeo doesn't seem to be doing USA anymore, though Great Human Race was a wonderful show this past season.

Anywho, about to sit down and watch all of last season of Alone again and then get started in on Season 2. Yippie kai ay.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:53 am

Obviously the contestants can use any of their own personal gear, presumably as long as it fits within the description of the allowed items list. So what items would you choose?

I went through the Alone website and it looks like almost every contestant picked at least one food item, and many picked two. Was it that way 1st Season? It didn't seem like that to me, I got the impression no one selected food. That makes me think this Season's contestants are better prepared for the circumstances they face because they know what happened during 1st Season. What would you pick? I would pick two food items, the rice and the gorp.

It looks like many contestants selected a combination of an axe, a saw, and a belt knife. But I was a bit puzzled by the types of axes and saws. Some of the saws were quite large and many of the axes not very big. Would it make the most sense with that combination to pick a full sized 3.5 pound felling axe (maybe even a two bit axe) and a smaller hand saw?

my pick of the 10 allowed extra items
----------------------------
axe

saw

sleeping bag

hammock (only one contestant picked)

frying pan (only two contestants picked)

ferro rod

9.2 lbs rice and 1 lb of salt

7.5 lbs gorp

3.5 lb roll of trapping wire (only one contestant picked)

leatherman multi-tool (only two contestants picked)

Of all the contestants, the vet Justin Vititoe picked items most similar to my list.
Last edited by gunsandrockets on Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:50 am

gunsandrockets wrote:I went through the Alone website and it looks like almost every contestant picked at least one food item, and many picked two. Was it that way 1st Season? It didn't seem like that to me, I got the impression no one selected food. That makes me think this Season's contestants are better prepared for the circumstances they face because they know what happened during 1st Season. What would you pick? I would pick two food items, the dried beans and the gorp.
Sam who lasted 2nd to last from season 1 actually mentioned over on BCUSA, he still had a little over a pound of pemmican left when he tapped out. Several of the people in season 1 brought food. Lucas, Sam, Brant, and Joe all brought rations as part of their items.

Here is a list I came up with back during season 1 of items I would take.
1) paracord

2) Synthetic sleeping bag

3) Wetterlings Fine Forester's axe

4) SOG PowerAssist multitool

5) 3' One man cross cut saw

6) 1/2"x5" ferro rod

7) Large 1.8 liter (aka 2 quart) Mors Pot

8) fishing line and hooks

9) gill net

10) Extra rations

Learning that the contestants get both a 12x12 tarp and a 5x7 tarp I dropped the 12x12 oilskin tarp I would have taken with me in favor of paracord. While I know how to make natural cordage when possible and know beachcombing could likely turn up lots and lots of cordage, having access to decent cordage I don't have to work right off the bat for the first couple nights can really make or break a person. Those first few days are critical to get established.

I would opt for my SOG PowerAssist rather than my BRKT Aurora even though I love the Aurora as a Bushcraft knife. The SOG multitool is well multiple tools in one. 2 knives, a small saw, a file, an awl, pliers, and I am thinking about seeing if I can add scissors to it too And take out either the multi bit driver or the can opener. But this makes the Multitool while a compromise a decent one to get so many abilities, and I do know how to use my axe as a multi purpose cutting tool too.

I would go with the cross cut saw because I would be planning to cut some logs and make myself a cabin and other more serious structures that a buck saw just wouldn't be good enough for. I love my Bob Dustrude quick buck saw, but it just isn't cut out for felling timber on the scale I would be planning.

I would opt for extra rations because well damn better to have some extra food to save for a hard moment. Pemmican is rather bland but a great long term storage high energy food and would be my primary choice for rations. Being rather bland makes it easier to hold back and ration it rather than snacking on it when times get lean.
Narrowing down just 10 items is difficult. Once you get down to 15 items the cuts you make all seem like a sacrifice of one thing over another. If it wasn't for tarps getting supplied, I would have sacrificed cordage and make due with found, natural, or fishing line as cordage. I would prefer my Aurora and a multitool, but just not enough slots for both. I would love a bivy bag, but again no slots open. A skillet and pot would make things so much better, but a pot has more function to me than a skillet. On it goes. The choices are not simple.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:24 am

ineffableone wrote:Sam who lasted 2nd to last from season 1 actually mentioned over on BCUSA, he still had a little over a pound of pemmican left when he tapped out. Several of the people in season 1 brought food. Lucas, Sam, Brant, and Joe all brought rations as part of their items.

Here is a list I came up with back during season 1 of items I would take.
1) paracord

2) Synthetic sleeping bag

3) Wetterlings Fine Forester's axe

4) SOG PowerAssist multitool

5) 3' One man cross cut saw

6) 1/2"x5" ferro rod

7) Large 1.8 liter (aka 2 quart) Mors Pot

8) fishing line and hooks

9) gill net

10) Extra rations
Narrowing down just 10 items is difficult. Once you get down to 15 items the cuts you make all seem like a sacrifice of one thing over another. If it wasn't for tarps getting supplied, I would have sacrificed cordage and make due with found, natural, or fishing line as cordage. I would prefer my Aurora and a multitool, but just not enough slots for both. I would love a bivy bag, but again no slots open. A skillet and pot would make things so much better, but a pot has more function to me than a skillet. On it goes. The choices are not simple.
Well said about sacrifices. Yes, making that cut down to 10, forces important compromises. One reason I thought a multi-tool might make a better choice than a knife, is for cutting and bending the trapping wire. It will be interesting to see if the two contestants this season who choose a very large skillet over a smaller pot works out better for them.

Since you posted your reply I slightly edited my post, because I discovered more changes from the Season 1 list to the Season 2 list of items. This season you only get 2.5 pounds of beans instead of 5, but the rice increased up to 9.2 pounds!

I was so surprised when you told me about the 1st season food. At the end I thought for sure Sam was starving as the only food was the tiny amount of mice he caught. I should have remembered how reality-shows edit content to punch up the drama.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:56 pm

Well episode 2 this season was a bit of a slow burner to a cliff hanger ending.

Two people are left at the end with good reasons for tapping out possibly next episode. Mary Kate cut her hand with her axe which was seen plenty in previews, and Randy lost his ferro rod into his fire.

We don't know how bad Mary Kate's injury is, but she was complaining of not being able to move her thumb. So it might be really bad. We wont know till next episode if this causes her to tap out. And with an injury, I don't think anyone would blame her for tapping out. Though there are plenty of folks complaining about her wood processing and how it lead to her injury. And while yes she made a serious mistake in how she was processing the wood, I am not going to lay into her for it. This was a week in and I imagine she was tired, cold, hungry, stressed, and lonely. These factors add up and cause a lot of mistakes in survival. It is easy to say 'you should have done this or that" while not sleep deprived, cold, and hungry. So I really hope MK's injury is not as bad as it seemed when they left off, and hope she is able to hang in there.

Randy loosing his ferro rod another silly mistake that happens due to the build up of pressures on a person in survival. He had not been finding food being from a land locked state and not too knowledgeable on fishing, he had said he had only found some mushrooms and was limiting his food search to on land at the time which means he was likely quite low on energy. He wisely rewound the video footage of himself making the fire the night before, and saw it had rolled into the fire pit. Likely burning up in the fire over the night, though he attempted to dig through the remains to try and find it. It looks like he will be attempting to do friction fire and try and stay, but if his attempts at friction fire fail he will likely tap out. Tough break for Randy, and rather sad since it looks like he had built up a decent shelter space.

It was nice to finally get more info on other members of the cast. On a whole this season folks have been doing better than 1st season. By this point 1st season they had half the cast tap out. So already 2nd season has lasted longer. I am looking forward to how this season plays out.

Oh BTW the BCUSA thread on the show got closed due to excessive snarky comments and the mods tired of cleaning up the thread after multiple warnings.

Another Alone news, season 3 is to take place in Patagonia it seems. Which will make things very interesting as I know that is a challenging region.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:47 am

ineffableone wrote:Well episode 2 this season was a bit of a slow burner to a cliff hanger ending.

Two people are left at the end with good reasons for tapping out possibly next episode. Mary Kate cut her hand with her axe which was seen plenty in previews, and Randy lost his ferro rod into his fire.

We don't know how bad Mary Kate's injury is, but she was complaining of not being able to move her thumb. So it might be really bad. We wont know till next episode if this causes her to tap out. And with an injury, I don't think anyone would blame her for tapping out. Though there are plenty of folks complaining about her wood processing and how it lead to her injury. And while yes she made a serious mistake in how she was processing the wood, I am not going to lay into her for it. This was a week in and I imagine she was tired, cold, hungry, stressed, and lonely. These factors add up and cause a lot of mistakes in survival. It is easy to say 'you should have done this or that" while not sleep deprived, cold, and hungry. So I really hope MK's injury is not as bad as it seemed when they left off, and hope she is able to hang in there.

Randy loosing his ferro rod another silly mistake that happens due to the build up of pressures on a person in survival. He had not been finding food being from a land locked state and not too knowledgeable on fishing, he had said he had only found some mushrooms and was limiting his food search to on land at the time which means he was likely quite low on energy. He wisely rewound the video footage of himself making the fire the night before, and saw it had rolled into the fire pit. Likely burning up in the fire over the night, though he attempted to dig through the remains to try and find it. It looks like he will be attempting to do friction fire and try and stay, but if his attempts at friction fire fail he will likely tap out. Tough break for Randy, and rather sad since it looks like he had built up a decent shelter space.

It was nice to finally get more info on other members of the cast. On a whole this season folks have been doing better than 1st season. By this point 1st season they had half the cast tap out. So already 2nd season has lasted longer. I am looking forward to how this season plays out.

Oh BTW the BCUSA thread on the show got closed due to excessive snarky comments and the mods tired of cleaning up the thread after multiple warnings.

Another Alone news, season 3 is to take place in Patagonia it seems. Which will make things very interesting as I know that is a challenging region.
Yep, this seasons contestants are either better or better prepared than last seasons. During last season, almost every day someone tapped out, until only the final four remained who really endured a long time. While this season 9 still remain.

Mary Kate really seems to be the bad luck contestant, first the rain soaking and now the ax cutting. Since she is a hardy Alaskan I had high hopes for her from the beginning.

You know it's funny, but just before her injury I was contemplating the supposed virtues of different wood tools, and one I've read of that makes a lot of sense to me is that a saw is less accident prone than an ax. And then right here in front of me Mary Kate cuts herself accidentally with her ax! What type of saw is appropriate for the scale of wood processing Mary Kate was doing when she injured herself?

Randy I was a little dubious about because he alone of all the contestants did not bring any extra food with him, and he was the only contestant who did bring a bow. Okay, maybe Randy is so awesome he will be a super food producer. But apparently not.

Speaking of food production, once again that gill net has proven just how great it is for the high tide conditions at Vancouver Island. I imagine it is harder to make a good fish trap with such tides? Does that make the gill net a must have for the contestants? I am rethinking the whole cot vs gill net idea.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:26 pm

gunsandrockets wrote:Yep, this seasons contestants are either better or better prepared than last seasons. During last season, almost every day someone tapped out, until only the final four remained who really endured a long time. While this season 9 still remain.

Mary Kate really seems to be the bad luck contestant, first the rain soaking and now the ax cutting. Since she is a hardy Alaskan I had high hopes for her from the beginning.

You know it's funny, but just before her injury I was contemplating the supposed virtues of different wood tools, and one I've read of that makes a lot of sense to me is that a saw is less accident prone than an ax. And then right here in front of me Mary Kate cuts herself accidentally with her ax! What type of saw is appropriate for the scale of wood processing Mary Kate was doing when she injured herself?

Randy I was a little dubious about because he alone of all the contestants did not bring any extra food with him, and he was the only contestant who did bring a bow. Okay, maybe Randy is so awesome he will be a super food producer. But apparently not.

Speaking of food production, once again that gill net has proven just how great it is for the high tide conditions at Vancouver Island. I imagine it is harder to make a good fish trap with such tides? Does that make the gill net a must have for the contestants? I am rethinking the whole cot vs gill net idea.
I agree I had expected a bit better showing from MK with her being an off grid Alaskan woman. Though to give her some credit, even with her mistakes she is showing a lot of fortitude and ability. Her big downfall seems to be rushing projects and not doing them properly. Maybe one could say not fully thinking them through.

That said, an axe can be used quite safely if you know how to do so. For example splitting wood like she was all that is needed is a sissy stick. A simple stick you use to stabilize the wood your splitting rather than putting a hand in the danger zone of where the axe is. Through the entire time I was wondering why she was even spitting that wood, the wood didn't need to be split down further. It was already at a fine size to burn in the fire she had. Splitting it would just cause her to use more wood in the fire as it would be consumed faster.

As for what saw could be used for splitting wood. I would not use a saw for splitting wood. Saws are great for cross grain cuts but a huge waste of energy for with grain cuts. I would use an axe with proper technique, or baton with a knife. Though I am not a huge knife baton person, as I prefer an axe for such tasks.

As for rations, when trying to narrow down just 10 items it could be easy to cut rations over another tool that you think could help bring you food. Me I wouldn't skip rations, but I can see how when trying to get down to 10 items someone might cut rations. I think one person actually doubled up on rations.

Yes in that region a gill net is a fairly necessary item. As has been mentioned in the show, the majority of food comes from the ocean. A gill net is one of the most effect means to harvest that food from the ocean. It coves a large area and is a passive means to catch food. Combined with a trout line and you have a very good system for catching fish.

As for Randy, he admitted he had no experience with fishing or ocean food. His skills he said are land based food acquisition. The problem being the land based food in that area is a lot more difficult than he is used to. There is plenty of small mammals that support the cougar, wolves, and bear. But because of the high predator ratio, those critters are really good at staying hidden. What I don't understand is did he only set one trap? Anyone who has studied primitive traps should know it is about numbers in trapping game. You can't just put one out and expect results, you need as many as you can build. He needed more like 5 to 12 traps not just one. Though this could have been editing and he might have had others. Though I also do question his trap that was shown a bit as his main log seemed to be rather rotten, which would not make for a good death blow no matter how heavy it was.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sun May 01, 2016 4:27 pm

Okay this is something that occurred to me and maybe it's wacky but I think it might work.

Understandably, because of the item limits no contestant selected a sharpening stone. No doubt most plan on finding a suitable river rock to use for that job.

So here is my wacky idea: could the rim of a cast iron frying pan serve the function of a honing steel for maintaining a knife edge?

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sun May 01, 2016 6:02 pm

gunsandrockets wrote:Okay this is something that occurred to me and maybe it's wacky but I think it might work.

Understandably, because of the item limits no contestant selected a sharpening stone. No doubt most plan on finding a suitable river rock to use for that job.

So here is my wacky idea: could the rim of a cast iron frying pan serve the function of a honing steel for maintaining a knife edge?
Iron tends to be softer than steel, especially a tempered knife edge. So I would not think it would work too well.

I think folks would opt for found rock, or leather belt used as a strop.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu May 05, 2016 5:10 pm

Here is Sam (from season 1) commentary on episode 2

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Fri May 06, 2016 1:52 pm

It's interesting to watch the rerun episodes, subtitled ": a deeper cut", which includes text commentary by the participants. It answers many questions raised and fills in some interesting details. And kind of made it obvious that MK was not going to make it.

Goodbye MK, I was cheering for you but it was not to be. A cutting lesson in ax handling.

And how about bad-ass Randy pulling off a friction-fire in a temperate rain-forest? That's a dramatic comeback.

Jose the Spanish-Canadian is demonstrating impressive skills. That venturi device he made for fires is really interesting. I think he is a likely finalist.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Mon May 09, 2016 9:56 pm

LOL, how did I forget to comment on the episode here.

Sucks MK got injured, but she made the right decision to call for help and tap out. Something I have noticed is how many videos and comments about this have highlighted how common her bad habit of holding the wood is with others. I have seen a lot of videos posted on youtube discussing the event and the people admitting they too use that sort of technique regularly. So MK's injury while sucks for her has insipired a lot of discussion about axe safety that seems is really necessary. Most of the folks i have heard admitting to splitting wood the way MK was doing have said they are currently retraining themselves to break that habit and are actively promoting safer methods.

Randy just pure props and kudos for him sticking it out and at least trying to see if he could get a friction fire. Funny hearing him talk about Joe loosing his ferro rod and then the same thing happens while he is out there. But Randy did the smart thing, and tried to attempt friction fire, while Joe just folded without giving it a go. Especially frustrating since Joe actually had a fire at the time. Which would have given him the ability to dry materials out and he could have tried to figure out a coal carrier to preserve a coal. But Randy kept trying friction fire, he didn't give up without at least giving it a try. And the effort paid off, he indeed did get a coal and fire. Though the fire issue will be a struggle for him the rest of his stay, he knows now it can be done. Sometimes just the knowledge it is possible makes all the difference.

Tracy still doing good, and staying calm in the face of predators. I am enjoying her segments, though I really don't need all the background info and drama about her life. But guess other people enjoy that sort of thing. So they put it in. All I have to say, she has no fault in someone else's decision to shot someone. She did not pick up and shot the woman, it was 100% the shooters fault not Tracy's. It is only human to question if you should head toward an active shooter. I don't care who you are cop, military, or civilian if you hear there is an active shooter and don't think for a moment about heading the other way, then there is something wrong with you.

Yay, some Nicole time. I think I am really liking her. While not featured a lot yet, she seems like she has some good skills, and a good attitude. Not a lot going on with her yet, but I hope we get to see her more and learn more about her camp and skills. Her reaction to the bear seemed more wonder and excitement and seeing it than scared. But then it was also a good distance away.

Jose, was rather funny talking about being humble while talking about how skilled he was. LOL. I think he likely is pretty humble and the whole taling up his skills, knowledge, and experience was a foreign concept for him so he added the "I tend to be humble" as a way of explaining why he might have come off as uncomfortable talking about it. The blow stick was great. I like how it is his first project, then a spoon, then chopsticks. I have a pocket bellows, a telescoping blow tube from Epiphany Outdoor Gear that works wonderfully. But I had never seen a bushcrafted blow tube, so cool to see how it was done. Jose will be a strong competitor in this. He obviously has mad skills, and baring accident or bad luck he seems set to go the distance. Which will be great for us, as it means we will see a lot of skills demonstrated by him.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue May 10, 2016 3:49 pm

BCUSA opened a new thread on Alone, but heavily monitored by mods.

someone over there noticed there was no map of location this season, so made one and shared it

If you want to google maps or google earth the locations to get a better idea of their area here are the coordinates.

David 50.4743, -127.9648
Desmond 50.4937, -127.7991
Jose 50.4861, -127.8237
Justin 50.4828, -127.8913
Larry 50.4637, -127.9217
Mary Kate 50.4998, -127.8368
Mike 50.4874, -127.9310
Nicole 50.4841, -127.6083
Randy 50.4693, -127.8488
Tracy 50.4562, -127.8759
Launch point and comand central, Quatsino 50.5337, -127.6147

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Thu May 12, 2016 6:38 pm

I had to go look up that 'pocket bellows' after it got mentioned. Interesting inexpensive gadget. The nesting tubes form a natural Venturi.

To satisfy my own curiosity, I bought a small super-soaker to experiment with as a fire bellows. Update: huh, the bugger really seems to work.
Last edited by gunsandrockets on Mon May 16, 2016 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Fri May 13, 2016 12:56 am

Well that was unexpected.

Tracy is out. Done in by her own psyche. Wow. I would not have picked her for an early exit.

Of course by 1st season standards Tracy is one of the last people to exit! I think by day nine during season 1, they were down to the final four contestants.

What else of note?

After a week on the island, hunger seems to be much more of a factor for our contestants. Guess people have been running out of rations. I think its fascinating how some gill nets are so much more productive than others.

Angry Larry finally catches some fish. Gets less angry. I worry that his fish-broth soup will attract a bear.

Starving David builds a second gill net from junk. Still starving. And I'm surprised how even in a rain forest it's sometimes necessary to boil surface water to have enough to drink.

Mad Mike goes on a building spree. Still looks a bit twitchy. I worry that one of his projects is going to catch fire, even there in those wet conditions. Oh, and thanks for the slug dream. Not.

Legs Justin demonstrates his comedic style. Plus, the hammock works! muah-hah-hah! It really works as a gill net. Score!

And, does Hippie Nicole get et by a bear? Tune in next week to find out!
Last edited by gunsandrockets on Mon May 16, 2016 12:52 am, edited 4 times in total.

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Sun May 15, 2016 10:27 pm

LMAO @ gunsandrockets, nice commentary. Last season I knew the guy with the best outlook and sense of humor would win. Once they start whining about family and home, they are done. In a shit situation like that after 20 or so days you must entertain yourself without going over the edge. Heck, look at the guy last year that built a house, then a guitar and played music till he flipped out. He was in the best shape but his mind went gaga. Alan had a solid shelter and kept his head in the game without over worrying about everything. Sam was in good shape, but his shitty shelter, (I would have lost it with all that tarp popping in the wind) and lack of food hit him hard. I can imagine with all that time you can over think anything. But the guy that lost it about all the mold was a bit much.
To make it you need,
1 Keep a cool head, understand your life will suck and deal with it.
2 Do you main shelter work early, before your body fat is gone.
3 Laugh at yourself and don't worry about what happening next week. One day at a time.
4 Keep a steady pace and get a routine.
5 Say screw the predators and try to avoid their area, worrying about them will get you.
6 Move little and be deliberate. Never waist a calorie.
7 Hope everyone else goes bonkers first!
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Sun May 15, 2016 10:50 pm

On a lighter note, I think there should be an Alone type show for more modern means.
My 10 choices,
1 Daisy cutter, for site preparation
2 20 yards concrete and labor force
3 Ma Deuce and all my gear whore collection of goodies
4 Pallet of MRE's and canned bacon
5 Pallet of coffee
6 Pallet of Wild Turkey
7 Woods Walker
8 DVD set of MST and player
9 Weekly updates of NCIS
10 Complete news blackout

I think most people could live with this.
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Thu May 19, 2016 11:56 pm

Kelp urinal! :lol:

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Fri May 20, 2016 12:13 am

Wow, 14 days and everyone is still there, even after the storm. Good show gang!

I wonder how many people will lose their gill nets in the storm? I suppose a trout line is less vulnerable to that hazard; and at the least more expendable.

I'm pretty impressed by Hippie Nicole's hobbit house. Good thing she brought such a gigantor frying pan, it was just barely big enough for the huge salmon she caught.

I'm guessing either Starving David or Fireman Randy will be the next to leave. It's never a good sign on a TV reality-show when a struggling person gets lots of airtime!

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue May 24, 2016 6:09 pm

So I've been watching them at night when I get home from work. I am now all caught up. I'm sad Tracy tapped out, over..... aggression? Seems odd to me, I think she had enough and just needed that one last little tipping point. Screaming and becoming aggressive was that breaking point. Sad to see her go, she was my pick to win it.

Now, I cannot remember his name but he keeps mentioning his girlfriend and being in the orphanage. He irritates me, but damn..... I LOVE his camp. the drying rack is great (haven't seen anyone else do that), his cooking set up is awesome (love that idea but wonder if the rocks are really enough to protect), and his foot activated hand washing station is a great idea.

So far I like the gill net from a hammock, the troutline worked really well, and I'm liking the log cabin set up the one guy is building (think he's the one that lost his fero rod).

anyways look forward to the rest.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue May 24, 2016 6:29 pm

Yep I was a bit behind and took me a bit to catch up.

I too was bummed Tracy tapped, I am guessing she has a bit of PTSD. I feel bad for her thinking she can't be aggressive, in nature there is no moral issue against aggression. It is actually a very natural useful trait when dealing with other preditors.

I was a bit sad to see David so down and out due to lack of food. He is the BCUSA member this year. but he at least did get some food by sticking to it and not giving up.

Mike and Jose I dig what they are shown doing, but just not feeling excited about them. Their attitude and camera personality just doesn't pop for me. Though I do look forward to seeing more of Jose making stuff. Dude has some mad skills and knowledge.

Larry, man that guy has a rough location. I would love to see that guy in a better place and bet we would get to see a lot more from him if he had just had a better place to work with.

Nicole just is awesome. She is doing some good bushcraft and camp building and her attitude is just so positive and lifting. I think she is likely the one I look forward to seeing the most on the show since she has the right combo of positive attitude, knowledge, and skills.

Justin who built a gym and is working out I suspect wont last much longer. While I liked when he built the swing and talked about fun helping keep spirits up, I was in full agreement. But when he started talking about working out and building a gym, he lost me. Calories wasted on working out for no reward other than to work out is just not a wise strategy. While he might not immediately feel the issue, I suspect he will end up having problems due to neglecting core survival over trying to just vacation.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “Bushcraft”