History Channel Alone survival series

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Re: History Channel Alone survival series

Post by ineffableone » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:06 pm

gunsandrockets wrote:Just caught up on all but one episode, interesting stuff! I'm also enjoying the commentary of this thread.

Question: is that a Cold Steel Bushman knife I see Lucas using?

Regarding predators, it seems to me something like a Bushman knife would be really useful if used as a spear for predator defense.
At least I know I would feel a lot safer carrying a spear in that environment.
Nope Lucas has a Jason Hawk custom knife. But yes it is a hollow handle style like the CS bushman.

As for the other knives in the show.

Dustin is carrying a BECK WSK
Joe is using an Adventure Sworn Mountaineer
Wayne's knife is BK2 and he had a leatherman multitool
Mitch is using a Jacklore that he designed... calls it the Native Survival Knife
Chris had an L.T. Wright Genesis
Allan is toting the Condor Kukri
Sam is using a Green River Hunter
I don't think we ever saw Brant use a knife
Josh didn't bring a knife
JackBauer wrote:Last night's episode was the best. As others mentioned the commentary is getting interesting as their time alone progresses. Loved Alan's little operatic segment
Hurrah! For Lucas on the canoe, but next episodes trailer suggest some trouble with navigating currents in his AO
Yes, now the cast has been whittled down a bit to those who are really going to make a serious go of it out there and have the skills to back it up it is making it get interesting.Hopefully there will be a lot more skills demonstrated now. I was a little disappointed they followed Lucas in the boat build for days without showing what others were doing at all.

I mean they had to have been doing something in all those days. Before Lucas's boat build Mitch was saying he was going to work on improving his shelter, and they never got back to what improvements he might have made. Is it really cougar safe now? Similarly what about Sam? He needed to secure his shelter a bit better after that storm, and we didn't get to see that.

Don't get me wrong it was cool seeing Lucas do the boat and a bit more concentrated Lucas this episode. But I felt like ok we know he is building a boat, so now what is happening with the other guys.

As for the preview, yes it looks like he might have hit some strong current that wont let hm go where he wants. But that could be just a few minutes of problem and it is resolved, it is a teaser preview to build drama. A good question is he said he had never built a boat, but how much experience does he have with boats in general? And does he have any experience with ocean boating, it is a lot different than rivers and lakes? Oceans you get rip tides and currents that can really make it hard to move in the direction you want, then they suddenly stop and reverse pushing you the direction you want. Or if you travel a ways to the side you can find the current resistance gone. But without experience with boating on the ocean he wouldn't know these things.

It sucks Dustin tapped out, we never really got to see much of him and I know he is a knowledgeable guy for bushcraft skills. I can't blame him though. That storm was not typical. AS I mentioned in my other comment, that was around the time of a tornado that hit WA. There were some sever thunder storms in the PNW that fall that were not typical. While the trees swaying might seem scary to folks not used to those forests, the swaying itself is not really a danger. Those trees are built to sway like that. It's when they hit eachother or get stuck somehow and can't more they have problems. Now that sort of swaying does cause branches to be shed. Not just dead ones but large live branches get snapped off as the trees brush eachother. So while the swaying itself is normal, it can be a sign of serious issues with widowmakers coming down.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:00 pm

Regarding air time that various people get: from what I've seen of elimination style reality TV shows the more air time someone gets the more likely they won't be returning next episode. And this TV show seems to follow that pattern.

So if I had to bet, Lucas is the next person to be eliminated. Which is a shame since that canoe Lucas built is pretty cool.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:37 pm

modustollens wrote:Just watched the latest one. Char cloth and a big fish. Good work and good luck for that guy. Salmon like that is good eating even when not starving. Good for the psychology too to get so much nutrition.

A net is a good tool for calories.

MT
I didn't see the episode but do think they were allowed to hold their hooks in an Altoids tin. This effectly gave them a charring container. If put in that situation I would use fluffed up bark.

1. Tulip poplar bark.

Charred punkwood.

On the left charred cedar bark, on the right charred punkwood.

The net result would be a reasonably reliable 2nd method of firestarting as odds are they all have somekinda carbon steel implement. This was the primary firestarting method between friction fire and matches. Basically a good time span.

Some may ask why spend the time to make multiple means of starting a fire if they all had a firesteel. I think we covered that as the results of only having one method can be disastrous should entropy strike. In fact I would also make a bow drill set and let it dry near the fire for days if too wet.

1. Firesteel.
2. Flint and Steel methodology
3. Friction fire.

But that's just internet BS without proof. Oh yea I got that as well, the BS and a little proof. :lol: This is ugly because I am just using a carbon steel knife not purpose made carbon steel striker but then again that's what I was talking about. Apples to apples.

On a side note charred materials could probably super charge a bowdrill set much like chaga does. Maybe I will make a bow drill set which intentionally won't work. Say a problematic combo of wood and then introduce charred materials into the mix.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:46 pm

Hi Woods Walker.

Thanks for the steel sparking fire vid. Very interesting.

The issue for the fellows in the TV show Alone seems to be the incredibly damp conditions they were faced with. It seems like they all very much underestimated how difficult it would be to start a fire in those circumstances. What they needed wasn't an alternate means of starting a fire as much as they needed a stronger means of starting their first fire.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:38 pm

gunsandrockets wrote:Hi Woods Walker.

Thanks for the steel sparking fire vid. Very interesting.

The issue for the fellows in the TV show Alone seems to be the incredibly damp conditions they were faced with. It seems like they all very much underestimated how difficult it would be to start a fire in those circumstances. What they needed wasn't an alternate means of starting a fire as much as they needed a stronger means of starting their first fire.
Here I am starting a friction fire in a soaking wet environment. It rained much of the week and on and off when gathering materials. Everything was soaked to the core.

Here I am starting a wood stove in the most slushy 1/2 frozen pile of shit outing in recorded history. LOL!

I think these men are at least if not more skilled than myself and frankly I could do it with a firesteel using soaking wet wood under a tarp in the rain. Granted it would take some time to progressively split the wood under a tarp. Oh heck I can make green wood burn with a firesteel.

Another dripping wet encounter of the fire kind using a firesteel.

Making another means of starting a fire once the initial fire was created would be on my list of priorities and as luck would have it that work would be incidental to other jobs aka done at the same time for little additional effort. I think the fire steel was about the best option given the 40 items. I have done reduced gear outings before and felt much better with multiple means of starting a fire even if they were marginal. Still that said if allowed I would pack Bics, ferro rods and world class chemical tinder of my choosing up the wazoo for such an endeavor but guessing that wasn't an option.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:07 pm

I am guessing Mitch has been getting a lot of grief for bringing the salmon back to his camp to cook it and attracting the cougar.

So he posted a video discussing cooking camps and butchering camps etc.

Seems like he likely should have followed his own advice, but then I can't fault him too much. Getting a fish like that after being hungry for awhile could easily make me forget good camp planning. While I have made comments on what he should have done, I also recognize how what should and what does happen can be very different in the actual situation. Especially if you aren't getting plenty of food, water, and sleep.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:52 am

When I skipped over to imdb.com to check for next showing of Alone, I couldn't help but note the program description!

10 survival "experts" attempt to survive alone. The winner receives $500,000.

That's brutal, eh? Experts placed within quotation marks. Though from watching this show perhaps that is not an unfair description when applied to the group as a whole.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:32 pm

ineffableone wrote:I am guessing Mitch has been getting a lot of grief for bringing the salmon back to his camp to cook it and attracting the cougar.

So he posted a video discussing cooking camps and butchering camps etc.

Seems like he likely should have followed his own advice, but then I can't fault him too much. Getting a fish like that after being hungry for awhile could easily make me forget good camp planning. While I have made comments on what he should have done, I also recognize how what should and what does happen can be very different in the actual situation. Especially if you aren't getting plenty of food, water, and sleep.
Started to question this when a 1/2 mile what written in by magic marker. Really? Spend any time living out of a backpack and see how well that works out. I totally respect the guy and he has a nice Youtube channel but dang. I mean dang. There is what's written down and then there is the real world. No one would have the energy to walk additional miles a day to do that. No one. Well not me anyways. This isn't to say one shouldn't take precautions but dang.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:58 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Started to question this when a 1/2 mile what written in by magic marker. Really? Spend any time living out of a backpack and see how well that works out. I totally respect the guy and he has a nice Youtube channel but dang. I mean dang. There is what's written down and then there is the real world. No one would have the energy to walk additional miles a day to do that. No one. Well not me anyways. This isn't to say one shouldn't take precautions but dang.
LOL, yes I can understand, I found the distances a bit excessive too. There was someone on the video comment thread who suggested instead of a box or triangle using a straight line. So you come to your butchering camp and butcher, then to your storage camp, collect your pots and pans and store away what your not going to use, then to your cooking camp to cook what your going to eat, then finally back to your sleeping camp. Without having to travel back and forth a bunch to various camps but instead going in a straight line.

While I believe in setting up a cooking camp and storing food items etc in a bear bag or similar I think this example is a bit extreme. #1 issue is the need for so many camps. Typically when I am hunting and trapping in the wild, I will butcher where I take my game. You need to remove the gut sack as soon as possible anyways, so might as well go the whole way and finish the process and butcher the animal right there. It is not like you wouldn't need to latter, and it is always better I feel to get it done as soon as possible. #2 cooking camp and storage tends to overlap for me, I will set up a cooking camp then near by place my store. Up in the trees. I don't make it a huge distances away maybe 50 feet away from the cooking camp. So far never had a problem with this in the multiple decades of camping I have done in the PNW with bears and cougar.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

airmandan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by airmandan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:22 am

man, Alan better win this damn thing.

wildman800

Post by wildman800 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:20 am

1st: I haven't yet been able to see this show. I found the comments/observations on ZS to be constructive. 2nd: I'd only be interested in doing this kind of endeavor provided I were allowed to bring what I wanted as long as I can carry it on my person. I also believe that 3 days of rations should be allowed. Searching for food takes up a lot of daily time. 3 days of rations would buy the time for anyone to set up their shelter, campsite, kitchen area, or any other infrastructure they deemed necessary. I would be interested in seeing what kind of long term camp I & others could have put together by the time I threw in the towel. The completed camp layout would hold valuable lessons for all.

The comments above also contained valuable insights into dealing with large animal predators that I have never dealt with but that are fast becoming a reality as the native black bear population has increased in Louisiana, as well as the couger and coyotes that have migrated down here in the last 2 decades.

1 problem that I have with this show's rules is that firearms are not allowed to be carried. I avoid camping in deep woods w/o firearms. Now yall have gotten my interest in this show. Thank you. I'll try to catch it and see what yall have been watching.
The best luck is what you make yourself!

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:11 am

The show allowed up to 5 lbs of rations, as one of the 10 items people could choose. Many however did not pick that as one of their 10 items.

The problem is 10 items is just not enough when your trying to plan for long term survival. Something has to get left behind. I agree some rations are a good idea. Since it takes time to start getting food when in a new area, especially when you have to establish shelter and all the other necessities. So having some food you can fall back on if you don't get lucky those first couple days is a very wise move.

As for firearms, I think a big part of the reason for the ban on them had to do with being in Canada. Canada is semi strict in gun laws, which might have been a big factor in the rule. Or it just might have been they wanted to see people do things without a firearm. A firearm is a big advantage in survival. So being without sets things up to be much more challenging.

While I like having a firearm while out camping I am not dependent on it. I actually camp without firearms fairly often. I would also say more often when I do bring a firearm it is more for in case of two legged trouble than four legged.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:05 pm

If the last episode is a faithful record of how the contestants are faring, Alan and Lucas are winning because of the food factor. Both of them impress me with their ingenuity and resourcefulness. Before this episode Sam was my favorite.

Forced to guess who is going to win at this point I would say Alan, as Lucas seems a little too twitchy to handle long term isolation.

rsnurkle
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Resident Evil: Degeneration, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, I am Legend

Post by rsnurkle » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:41 pm

ineffableone wrote:Someone over on BCUSA made a great easy to read list of the gear for the people on the show, since this forum doesn't have the same table code set up here is a screen cap of it.
Good to see there's discussion about this show on ZS! I've actually been on ZS for longer than BCUSA, but have been watching the discussion over there, so glad the table was helpful for the folks over here, too. I've wanted to revisit it, re-ordering the participants by who is still on the show, so I created a "code tag" friendly version below.

Participants are now ordered left-to-right by the day they left (Alan, Lucas, Mitch, and Sam are still on the Island by Day 32, as of the most current episode). The items/rows are ordered by how many participants took that category of item, and alphabetized within that grouping.

Code: Select all

Days                 32    32    32     32   8       6      4      4    3      2
Item                 Alan  Lucas Mitch  Sam  Dustin  Brant  Wayne  Joe  Chris  Josh  Total

Axe                  X     X     X      X    X       X      X      X    X      X     10
Ferro rod            X     X     X      X    X       X      X      X    X      X     10
Pot (2-quart)        X     X     X      X    X       X      X      X    X      X     10
Fishing line (singl  X     X     X      X    X       X      X      X    X      X     10
  filament, 300 yd
  plus 25 hooks)
Sleeping bag         X     X     X      X    X       X      X      X    X      X     10
Knife                X     X     X      X    X       X      X      X    X            9
Ground sheet/tarp          X            X            X      X      X           X     6
   (up to 12x12)
550 paracord – 20m                           X       X      X      X           X     5
Bow and 6 arrows                 X      X            X                  X      X     5
Saw                  X     X                                X           X      X     5
Emergency rations          X            X            X             X                 4
Net, small gauge     X           X           X                     X                 4
   gill net
Water bottle/canteen X                       X                          X            3
Bivi bag (gortex)                X                                             X     2
Sharpening stone                 X                                      X            2
Slingshot                               X    X                                       2
3.5lb wire           X                                                               1
Extra Tarp                 X                                                         1
Multi-tool                                                  X                        1

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:33 am

Latest episode: and then there were two!

Well slap me silly. I really thought poor starving Sam was going to be the next one out, good for him for sticking it out.

As for Alan, I've thought for some time he was probably going to win, so I'm not surprised to see him as one of the last two men remaining.

The whole sick Mom thing was a complete blindside about Mitch. I didn't think he was going to make it, but I thought because of starvation, not because of isolation.

Lucas seemed the best off physically, producing the most resources. But he's been twitchy for a long time so I'm not surprised he tapped out.

All four of these men are made of stern stuff. I hope there is some kind of consolation prize for second through fourth place because they earned it.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:09 am

Good episode.

Wasn't surprised about Lucus, I see him more just deciding "ok next project" and being excited to go off and do something new. I didn't see him quiting as much as hurrying to do something new.

Mitch tapping out over his mother was a surprise though. There was a little message at the bottom of the screen that they have his homecoming on the website, so I am planning to watch that in a moment.

*edit to add, hmmm don't seem to see the Mitch homecoming clip, I will look for it tomorrow.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:23 am

I cant get this channel on my tv, its subscription only.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:20 am

grumpyviking wrote:I cant get this channel on my tv, its subscription only.
You could always watch episodes online...

http://www.history.com/shows/alone/episodes

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:55 pm

The list of 40 and prohibited items has been released. http://www.history.com/shows/alone/arti ... ited-items
CLOTHING/APPAREL/PERSONAL EFFECTS
*This is the maximum amount of baseline gear allowed for each participant. These items did not count towards the 10 special items.

Alone

1. 1 pair high leg Hunting boots
2. 2 pairs of Outdoor Pants (can unzip into shorts)
3. 1 t-shirt
4. 2 fleece or wool shirts (a hooded fleece is approved)
5. 3 pairs wool socks
6. 1 hat (brimmed, wool or baseball)
7. 1 bandana or shemagh
8. 1 pair gloves
9. 1 light outdoor jacket
10. 2 pairs underwear
11. 1 rain jacket and rain trousers
12. 1 thermal underwear (long)
13. 1 pair of gaiters
14. 1 pair of Crocs, Teva sandals or Keen sandals
15. 1 toothbrush
16. 1 pair of prescription eye glasses
17. 1 personal photograph

TRACKING/SAFETY
*These items were provided to each participant and did not count towards the 10 special items.

Alone

1. 1 canister wild animal repellant
2. 1 air horn
3. 1 backpack
4. 1 camera pack
5. Camera equipment
6. 1 emergency flare
7. 1 satellite phone
8. 1 emergency personal flotation device
9. 1 first aid kit (military type – tourniquet, wadding, ace bandage, alcohol, plastic bag, etc)
10. 1 small mirror
11. 1 20×20 canvas tarp
12. 1 10×10 canvas tarp for camera gear
13. 1 head lamp
14. 1 gps tracking device
15. 1 emergency rations pack to include water and food

WINTER PACKS
*These items were provided to each participant and did not count towards the 10 special items.

Alone

1. 1 woolen sweater
2. 1 pair of gloves
3. 1 trapper’s hat with ear protection or toboggan

SPECIAL ITEMS
*Each participant was allowed to select up to 10 items from the following list.

Alone

Shelter

1. 12×12 ground cloth/tarp (grommets approved)
2. 8 mm climbing rope
3. 550 parachord – 20m
4. 1 hatchet
5. 1 saw
6. 1 axe

Bedding

1. 1 multi-seasonal sleeping bag that fits within provided back-pack
2. 1 bivi bag (gortex sleeping bag cover)
3. 1 sleeping Pad
4. 1 hammock

Cooking

1. 1 large (no more than 2 quart) Pot, includes lid
2. 1 steel frying pan
3. 1 flint or ferro rod set
4. 1 enamel bowl for eating from
5. 1 spoon
6. 1 disposable lighter
7. 1 canteen or water bottle
8. 1 bear canister

Hygiene

1. 1 bar soap
2. 1 8 oz tube of toothpaste
3. 1 face flannel
4. 1 40 m. roll dental floss
5. 1 small bottle bio shower soap
6. 1 shaving razor (and 1 blade)
7. 1 towel (30” x 60”)
8. 1 comb

Hunting

1. 1 300 yard roll of nylon single filament fishing line and 25 assorted hooks (No lures)
2. 1 primitive bow with 6 Arrows (must be predominately made of wood)
3. 1 small gauge gill net (1.5 m deep x 6 m long and 2 inch [50 mm] mesh)
4. 1 slingshot/Catapult
5. 1 net foraging bag
6. 3.5 lb roll of trapping wire

Food

1. 5 lbs of beef jerky (protein)
2. 5 lbs of dried pulses/legumes/lentils mix (starch and carbs)
3. 5 lbs of biltong (protein)
4. 5 lbs of hard tack military biscuits (carbs/sugars)
5. 5 lbs of chocolate (Simple/complex sugars)
6. 5 lbs of pemmican (traditional trail food made from fat and proteins)
7. 5 lbs of gorp (raisins, m&m’s and peanuts)
8. 5 lbs of flour. (starch/carbs)
9. 2 lbs of rice or sugar and 1 lb of salt

Tools

1. 1 pocket knife
2. 1 hunting knife
3. 1 leatherman multi-tool
4. 1 sharpening stone
5. 1 roll of duct tape or 1 roll of electrical tape
6. 1 small shovel
7. 1 small sewing kit
8. 1 carabineer
9. 1 LED flashlight
10. 1 pair of ice spikes

PROHIBITED ITEMS
Alone

1. Fuel or matches
2. bug spray/mosquito repellant.
3. sunscreen/Chap stick
4. sunglasses
5. beauty products
6. map (detailed topographical)
7. compass
8. unapproved technology (anything with a battery or an engine, eg. cell phones, computers, watches, etc.)
9. professional snares
10. firearms of any kind
11. ammunition
12. explosives or gunpowder
13. animal poison
14. professional fishing rods
15. fishing lures, flies, bait kits
16. fishing traps
17. food or beverage (except the options from the selection list)
18. decoys
19. animal calls
20. tree stands
21. professional bows or crossbows
22. scopes of any kind
23. tents or shelters
24. stoves, pressure cookers or other cooking appliances
25. hydration packs
26. fire pits
27. electric or propane lanterns
28. inflatable boats
29. filtration, purification devices, iodine tablets
30. coolers or food storage boxes (except optional bear canister)

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:00 pm

Hey folks, just found out season 2 of Alone is coming April 21st.

Here is the new cast

There is again a BCUSA member on the show (Dave McIntyre, aka Pict on BCUSA, aka Colhane), and this time there are women also. Interestingly they are again using Vancouver Island, rather than trying a new bio region. I had expected a desert or something else rather than the temperate rainforest of the Pac NW. Though I always will enjoy watching folks try and survive in the Pac NW being I grew up in the Pac NW. Another interesting thing is there are folks with more experience with the region this season. One of the women is from Portland Oregon, the other woman is from Homer Alaska, and one of the guys is from Yukon Territory Canada. With 3 people from the Pac NW it will be interesting to see if their experience gives them an advantage.

I am looking forward to the new season, here is the teaser trailer to get you excited.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:32 pm

When I was watching last season of Alone, I saw the link to sign up for the next season (season 2), but they'd already closed casting by the time they'd aired the link. Still, I threw my hat into the ring for "upcoming" seasons. Be interesting to see if I ever get a call back about it. Was wondering when they'd get around to showing season 2. Looking forward to what's coming.

Keeping the setting the same makes sense, in a way. You want a region that's conducive to long-term survival (which rules out most of the places that, say, Naked & Afraid uses) yet far enough off the beaten track that random travelers won't come across it. And it's got to be a location that provides easy accommodations for the retrieval crew, since they're going to be standing by 24/7 for days, perhaps even weeks or months. Not to mention the diplomatic and commercial licenses that have to be taken into consideration for potentially extended lengths of time - that pretty much limits it to the US or Canada.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:15 pm

I suspect that Season 2 will not see the same pattern of people dropping out.

With Season 1, six people dropped out within days, and then it became an endurance contest among those left.

With Season 2, I'm predicting a straighter graph line of people dropping out vs time. And I expect much derision when I am proven wrong! :oops:

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:34 pm

gunsandrockets wrote:I suspect that Season 2 will not see the same pattern of people dropping out.

With Season 1, six people dropped out within days, and then it became an endurance contest among those left.

With Season 2, I'm predicting a straighter graph line of people dropping out vs time. And I expect much derision when I am proven wrong! :oops:
I agree, this season has 3 PNW natives. As well as folks from areas that have predators. So the shock of having bears, wolves, and cougar to deal with is going to be much less. Last season it was fear of predators that knocked out the majority of people who were not used to sharing the woods with predators. though there still are some folks coming from regions without predators. So there still might be a few not able to hack the competition with predators.

I think season 2 will have a lot less early drop outs though, the cast seems a bit more ready. Not sure how much they got to see season 1 though. As the BCUSA guy for season 2 had said
My casting process started before season one aired
So not sure if the new season was able to benefit some from seeing the 1st season. If they did, then that would be a massive game changer and give the 2nd season a big leg up on the 1st season. The reality of predators for example, the seriousness of how wet it can be, the difficulty of making a fire, and more.

Speaking of fire making. In the trailer you do see someone trying to do friction fire. I seriously look forward to seeing if that pans out, it also making me wonder if they had opted not to bring a ferro rod? Having learned friction fire in the PNW I know how hard it is here to do, so really interested to see if the attempt in season 2 works out and who is doing it.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:36 am

Well first episode over, and first person tapping out. And tapping out before the first nightfall at that! :ohdear:

Some people do seem way more afraid of predators than warranted. I know that noise deters some predators. I would start belting out The Star Spangled Banner! Now that's good TV :lol:

I don't know how different the lists of allowed/prohibited items are compared to 1st Season, but yeah knowledge of the area or knowledge of 1st Season would be a huge advantage. Observing elements of the prologue episode of Season 2 I get the impression these contestants have more knowledge of the area, either from watching the 1st Season or from the producers themselves.

Compared to 1st season contestants, I would have selected some of the carbo food items, selected the lighter in addition to ferro rod, and maybe also the hammock.

I found it interesting how the contestant from Alaska was already having problems dealing with rain runoff and the wet ground. Yep I want that hammock.

EDIT: I just checked the new item list, and notably missing is the disposable lighter! Now the only means of fire is flint or ferro rod.

Return to “Bushcraft”