Another "spiritual quest" mishap

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Re: Another "spiritual quest" mishap

Post by Jamie » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:11 am

TacAir wrote:Clark County court records indicate Kelly was in district court last Friday after failing a drug test required as part of pleading guilty last year to being a minor in possession of alcohol.

At the hearing, a judge reordered Kelly to comply with all conditions, which included a fine of more than $500, according to court records. So, then so goes camping and heads out to the woods....
Further evidence for suicide by wilderness...

J
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:04 am

Oh those mixed up post teen years. Here's my rub, is she an idiot, yupe. Did she do everything wrong? Yupe. Does she ever need to leave a paved environment again? Nope. Did she deserve to die for it? To me, no.

If this was your* kid you'd be damn happy people were helping you look for the little dumbass. She's a big misguided kid who probably doesn't have any good influences in her life hence the arrests and drug tests. Does she need to go to some sort of treatment for her addictions? I believe so, court mandated to boot.

But does she need to die and not have anyone find her? No, I believe not. I'm in favor of looking for her and if need be recovering the body. Sorry, maybe I'm a softy but she does have value as a human. Not a great human but a human none the less.

YMMV/JMHO.

*Not focusing this on anyone. So it's general your, generally.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:32 am

UPDATE - latest I could find.

Friends and family of a woman who disappeared after setting off naked on a "spiritual quest" in the forest of Southwest Washington say they're confused why a search was called off Tuesday and plead for her return.

Maureen Kelly, 19, of Vancouver, Wash., has been missing since she told people she was going on a "spiritual quest" Sunday night in a steep and wooded part of the Gifford Pinchot National Forest.

"A lot of us are really upset with why they did that. We don't know why," said Yazman, a friend of Kelly's who spoke with the Ron and Don Show Thursday.

Skamania County Sheriff Dave Brown announced late Tuesday that two days of scouring the area with dog teams and 4x4 vehicles hadn't located Kelly or anything "related to this search-and-rescue mission."

A Sheriff's Office spokesman said deputies have suspended the search until the end of the week pending further investigation.

The missing woman, who calls herself "Anu", reportedly had nothing other than a fanny pack when she set off.

But Yazman told Ron and Don she's upset all of the coverage of the disappearance has focused on Kelly's nudity.

"That's not what the story is about, that's not what she wanted people to know is that she was naked. The main thing that she really wanted people to know is that this something that she's taking really seriously because she is a very spiritual person and she's doing this to make a statement," Yazman said.

Although she's skilled in the outdoors, the worry grows for the young woman's well being with each passing day.

"We can't give up and we need her home. She may not want to be found, we really don't know but we need her back home with us because she's someone so very important to everyone and we just need her home as soon as we can get her."

I note that her "friends" aren't out looking... Maybe because her boyfriend picked her up on day one? This just gets stranger and stranger.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:51 am

TacAir wrote:UPDATE - latest I could find

I note that her "friends" aren't out looking... Maybe because her boyfriend picked her up on day one? This just gets stranger and stranger.
That's a solid theory, run off into the woods naked with a lot of fanfare, have your boyfriend pick you up. After a few weeks you get declared dead, and get to start over.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Kelvar wrote:
Actually, if that happened in a horror movie, I'd be thinking, "Bullshit! No one would ever do that!" I'd be wrong, apparently.

I'd be surprised if there weren't a larger-than-normal number of male volunteers to go look for her--at least initially. As others have said, I feel bad for her family. :(
Glad you said it first, because I was certainly thinking, who wouldn't go looking for a naked 19 year old in the forest. Nothing like a heroic rescue.

On a tangential issue, what's up with those dogs? I've never trained or worked scent hounds, but given all of the Animal Planet hoopla, I'm thinking a nude, barefooted hiker would be leaving a scent trail a mile wide. Every drop of perspiration would be hitting the ground.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Points, since I am local and this is my area:

--Canyon Creek is, indeed, dangerous. More so than other areas. I grew up going into them woods. It's where (near) I got my one deer I got my whole life. My Dad and all the Thai Husbands would go fising and hunting in that area all the time.
--She's a troubled kid from Vancouver, WA... "The Couve" aka "Vantucky" aka "where NE is from and grew up". I haven't, barely, any doubt this was some kind of plot.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote: On a tangential issue, what's up with those dogs? I've never trained or worked scent hounds, but given all of the Animal Planet hoopla, I'm thinking a nude, barefooted hiker would be leaving a scent trail a mile wide. Every drop of perspiration would be hitting the ground.
This ^^
They know where she was, she walked out of that camp, and the dogs have no scent?
I would love to give the benefit of the doubt, and perhaps I am a suspicious old biddy, but my radar is up.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:44 am

TacAir wrote:"Ward said Kelly's track stopped on the paved road, so search crews spent much of the day trying to find where she may have left the pavement and entered the woods.
Hmmmm.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:59 am

UPDATE - dated today, 15 June.

About 50 search and rescue volunteers will set out this morning to look for a 19-year-old Vancouver woman who was last seen Sunday walking away from a Gifford Pinchot National Forest campsite wearing only a fanny pack.

Maureen Kelly was supposed to come back that night, but didn't. Skamania County Undersheriff Dave Cox said teams of searchers are organizing and plan to head out shortly "to see if we can locate her and bring her home."

Weather earlier in the week hindered search efforts, but today's sunny and warm conditions offer a good opportunity for searching, Cox said.

"It should be a good day for locating her," he said.

Kelly told a friend that she was going on some sort of spiritual journey when she set off from the Canyon Creek Campground about 5 p.m. Sunday.

The area, about 60 miles from Portland, is heavily wooded.

Source -- The Oregonian

It's been a week of low temps and as she took no food or equipment - I wonder what the Posse hopes to find?

Another site added this
"Rescue crews searched for Kelly in the woods of Gifford Pinchot National Forest for two days, but then called off their search.

On Saturday morning at 8 a.m., about 50 searchers met in the town of Amboy to begin a full day of rescue efforts.

Undersheriff Dave Cox said the plan is to "expand the search area" in hopes of "

I'll track this a couple days more - IF she is found, still alive and in the woods, I'll be surprised.
If she is found still alive and with her boyfriend back in town - I won't be surprised....

Woods Walker
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Regular Guy wrote:
But does she need to die and not have anyone find her? No, I believe not. I'm in favor of looking for her and if need be recovering the body. Sorry, maybe I'm a softy but she does have value as a human. Not a great human but a human none the less.

YMMV/JMHO.

*Not focusing this on anyone. So it's general your, generally.
Sometimes nature keeps what is has. If she did die and no one found the body it wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:51 am

Didn't they lose her track at a road? Seems to me, she probably isn't in those woods anymore. Maybe a frying pan to fire situation but I think they can probably stop searching there.

Hope she shows up alive.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Cowgirl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:07 am

TacAir wrote:I note that her "friends" aren't out looking... Maybe because her boyfriend picked her up on day one? This just gets stranger and stranger.
I am just getting started in SAR, so I am not an expert. But at least in my area, you can't just show up at a search as an untrained volunteer and join in. You can't join a SAR team without training. And then the team trains and practices together between actual searches. Families and friends are not involved in the search because they could inadvertently destroy evidence.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Re: Another

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:12 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
TacAir wrote:I note that her "friends" aren't out looking... Maybe because her boyfriend picked her up on day one? This just gets stranger and stranger.
I am just getting started in SAR, so I am not an expert. But at least in my area, you can't just show up at a search as an untrained volunteer and join in. You can't join a SAR team without training. And then the team trains and practices together between actual searches. Families and friends are not involved in the search because they could inadvertently destroy evidence.
He was pointing out that they were requesting volunteer searchers at one point, and none of her friends or family joined in.
I would hope I'd have people I knew out looking for me, or at least manning a food station or something.
I agree, the entire thing is... odd.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

TacAir

Re: Another

Post by TacAir » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Very good point - families often go to the trail-head/comm center to offer support/thanks/cook food, make coffee and so on.

I saw none of that reported.

The whole situation has been 15 degrees off bubble from the beginning.

FINAL UPDATE

KAMANIA COUNTY, Ore. (KOIN) — After another day of looking in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest for a naked 19-year-old missing for nearly a week, the Skamania County Sheriff’s Office announced they are suspending the search.

Maureen Kelly was last seen around 5 p.m. Sunday at Canyon Creek wearing nothing but a fanny pack. Her friends said she was on a “spiritual quest” when she went into the forest.

About 75 search volunteers from 17 different search-and-rescure groups took part in the day-long search that covered about four square miles.

There was no trace of the young woman from Vancouver.

“We have utilized very professional search and rescue personnel during these operations,” Undersheriff Dave Cox said.

Search dogs were used to track Maureen Kelly in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. They did not find the missing woman.

Scent dogs tracked Kelly across a creek, but that scent ended at a nearby road.

“You know, someone may have picked her up,” Cox said. “I mean you could run with this and write a novel off it being from the law enforcement side of things. We think of all the scenarios.”

They have no reason to suspect foul play. But it’s a possibility she was injured.

Kelly’s family said they will keep looking for her.

“It’s just heartbreaking to have to keep searching and you know nothing.”

Bottom line, the Sheriff isn't going to use any more resources looking for this girl. Interesting to note none of the other SAR folks have talked about pressing on....

I guess this goes into the file of 'wonder what really happened'.

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Sounds like another movie remake; the Fugitive, starring Ke$ha.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:03 am

alpha_texas1969 wrote:Sad to think of the possibilities of what may have happen to her, a pretty young lady naked alone in the woods. sounds like the making of a horror film to me.
Oddly enough this is the premise for a new show on NatGeo.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

grumpygolem

Post by grumpygolem » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:56 pm

74 or more wrote:
alpha_texas1969 wrote:Sad to think of the possibilities of what may have happen to her, a pretty young lady naked alone in the woods. sounds like the making of a horror film to me.
What show is that?

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:08 pm

grumpygolem wrote:
74 or more wrote:
What show is that?
It's called the Naked and Afraid. Its a survival show about a man and a woman who get dropped off in the woods naked.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:10 pm

74 or more wrote:
grumpygolem wrote:
74 or more wrote:
What show is that?
It's called the Naked and Afraid. Its a survival show about a man and a woman who get dropped off in the woods naked.
I thought you were talking about Naked Castaway. I actually enjoyed that one. Naked and Afraid seems a bit over the top to me.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:26 pm

They should have enlisted the local fraternities to help with the S&R and told them there was a naked 19 year old girl in the woods and a free keg for whoever finds her first.

Too soon?

Sorry, It's not in my nature to resist a little snark. I really feel for the girls friends and family, but I have a hard time feeling any pity for someone who willingly walks off into the woods naked and something bad happens. I do hope the family is given some closure to what happened but things aren't looking good.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Did the rest of y'all not do some epically stupid shit in your late teens? Or is there some selective memory going on here? I may not have ever walked off into the woods naked and alone at 19, but I and pretty much everyone I know did some dumb things in their teenage years. Generally speaking, teenagers are risk-takers with limited life experience and a poor grasp of the consequences of their actions.

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:15 pm

I got married at 18.
Still married to the same guy, so I guess it wasn't epically stupid.
I'll ask him.
:D
-

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:29 pm

Jeriah wrote:Did the rest of y'all not do some epically stupid shit in your late teens? Or is there some selective memory going on here? I may not have ever walked off into the woods naked and alone at 19, but I and pretty much everyone I know did some dumb things in their teenage years. Generally speaking, teenagers are risk-takers with limited life experience and a poor grasp of the consequences of their actions.

Nope, At 18-21 I was keeping 60 other men from doing stupid shit.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:43 pm

Jeriah wrote:Did the rest of y'all not do some epically stupid shit in your late teens? Or is there some selective memory going on here? I may not have ever walked off into the woods naked and alone at 19, but I and pretty much everyone I know did some dumb things in their teenage years. Generally speaking, teenagers are risk-takers with limited life experience and a poor grasp of the consequences of their actions.
No, I had a series of responsible jobs and was going to college. Joined up with the military at 20Y/O
I did have folks that I knew that were a bit on the flaky side.

Not knowing the girl, her family situation, I can't make any calls on the situation, just that it all seems so...odd.

Return to “Bushcraft”