oregon fat wood. a chunk of black gold.

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

scurvy

oregon fat wood. a chunk of black gold.

Post by scurvy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:21 pm

fat wood, pitch wood, junk wood, smoke wood.... whatever you call it, it's handy. I've been tampering with fat wood for about three years and like it more and more.

I recently got a chunk from a friend camping, his father made him take it camping as it was 'garbage wood' and should be thrown on the fire at night to keep the mosquitoes away and get rid of it...

I grabbed it, the other day I thought I'd process it into chunks for fire starters, here's what I found:

first cut:

shingled out, really dark:

held up to a shop light... with flash:

and with out flash..... wow:

shaved some up to a quarter sized pile, check the color:

shaved like butter......

it does take a few strikes with ferro to light..... with a lighter or match, watch out it goes QUICK!

here's a quick vid (60 sec) of lighting with a ferro, 12 strikes? but, when it goes it goes. ( yes, it was raining )

open in new window for best viewing:

anyways, I like it.
Jimmy ~~sCuRvY~~

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: oregon fat wood. a chunk of black gold.

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:09 pm

Very nice. :)

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:00 am

very nice indeed! :clap:

got any idea of what species of tree produced that awesome piece?

scurvy

Post by scurvy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:40 am

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:very nice indeed! :clap:

got any idea of what species of tree produced that awesome piece?
not positive, you can see the sample in the first photo, no bark and pretty aged.

I believe this is a piece of 'true fir' there's 5 or 6 types here in OR. They're notoriously pitchy, even alive.

I do know that this piece was gathered clearing a piece of property years ago, and was called pitch wood or 'stump wood' (imagine that) and is saved for burn plies by the guys who have acreage.

have made a request for more of the oldest, pitchiest, heaviest, nastiest samples I can get ahold of....

we'll see what happens.

I gave 'ninja elbow' a chunk of this stuff..... looked more like a glazed donut than a piece of wood.
curious what he found inside his piece...
Jimmy ~~sCuRvY~~

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:09 am

's called stump wood due to what happens when a tree dies, sucking all its juices into the inner parts of the tree, and concentrating around the roots.
It's scandinavian black gold baby!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_tar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great write up thanks :D
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:42 am

scurvy wrote: I gave 'ninja elbow' a chunk of this stuff..... looked more like a glazed donut than a piece of wood.
curious what he found inside his piece...
Was rearranging stuff on my desk shelf yesterday and whooped out that chunk you gave me. Also have some older stuff that I found 2 years ago that seems to have lost some potency? Not even sure it does that? Anyways, will mess around with it this week if the rain 'aint too bad.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:34 pm

Probably could loose potency, remember how we're told to smell it for a turpentine like smell? Maybe if allowed to dry out some of the "turpentine" evaporates and it looses some bang juice?
I am just thinking out loud as my own search for pitch wood has been a complete failure to the point that I'm starting to think that it may not actualy occur in central Alberta, we've plenty of pine and spruce but perhaps the weather prevents its forming?
I'm planning on hitting the swamps again this month now that hunting season is over (and work permiting) and hopefully I'll have better results as I go after Labrador Tea, which I've severly neglected my supply of in the last few years.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.

Post by vawilderness » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Cool post, I've used fat-pine for years starting fires in my fire place. I'll have to try using it as a fire starter with my ferro rod. I'll have to try it on my next hike. Thanks!
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:01 pm

If there's pine there's got to be some fat wood. Like I've related here before I failed for 2-3 years until River8 took me out and showed me how to find it. I still strike out (Fall MBO) but every now and again I hit it like lotto. I'm actually better (luckier) at finding pine knots than fat wood in a stump.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Very nice! Started keeping an eye out for that sort of stuff when i'm out and about this year, not much luck yet but I haven't been looking all that hard either :)
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

Return to “Bushcraft”