May 27 Meeting updated with Recap

Discussion forum for the Metro Atlanta chapter

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 016 Officers

Bayjove
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Land of the Dead ('cause they evolve!), and others

Post by Bayjove » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Next chapter meeting is Sunday, May 27 at 1 PM.

Please note that the location has changed. The park is only 1.5 miles away from old location.

2750 Pleasant Hill Road.
Duluth, GA 30096
http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/portal/gw ... HowellPark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a public park and there are some playgrounds so please don't bring any firearms just in case.

We are going to bring a big tent just in case it rains but please bring a lawn chair or something to sit on. Also, bring food and non-alcoholic beverages if you want and we can make it a picnic.

Google Map

Mark your calendars and I really hope to see many of you there.
President, ZSC-016, Metro Atlanta

Davo

Re: Next Meeting May 27

Post by Davo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:11 am

It will be a rarity for me to be in Atlanta on a weekend from here on out, but best wishes to everyone.
Image Image

Trekker04
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the dead, Resident evils, the walking dead, the list goes on lol, 28 days later, DAwn of the Dead

Post by Trekker04 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:31 pm

i will definitely be there!!!!!
Vice President, ZSC:016

"The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as needed?"

"If it happens, it happens, if they're not ready, screw 'em!"

Gamerunner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead.

Post by Gamerunner » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:09 am

I will be there and it looks like I've got a coworker or two interested in maybe joining up.

Domindart
Favorite Zombie Movies: any

Post by Domindart » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:29 am

What is discussed at these meetings? (Just joined the group)
sig and a shotgun so far...

Trekker04
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the dead, Resident evils, the walking dead, the list goes on lol, 28 days later, DAwn of the Dead

Next Meeting May 27

Post by Trekker04 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:35 am

Everything! From events, fundraising ideas, what to do where to go, and how to properly redead the undead lol.

"The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as needed?"

Domindart

Post by Domindart » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:38 am

Just read the recap of the last meeting and sounded like a LOT of fun stuff... I will be sure to try and make it.

some of the things I am excited about is the Gun classes that you may try to organize. I would love to partake in that. The zombie movie night sounds fun too.

Bayjove
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Land of the Dead ('cause they evolve!), and others

Post by Bayjove » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:23 am

Hey Domindart! We really do hope you can make it to the next meeting! I will be announcing location later today.

Some things we will be discussing at the May meeting will include some events we are working on for the next couple of months (we are putting together quite a bit!!!), an urban mock bug-out, group shooting range event, merchandise, and future training for the group from various sources.

We are working on recruitment right now but even with the few active members we have, meetings are lively, creative, and chock full of information, with the opportunity for members to have a real impact on the direction of the chapter.

Hope to see you there!

Bayjove

Post by Bayjove » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Please note original post that we have a location for the meeting now.

IHOP
2178 Pleasant Hill Road
Duluth, GA 30096
(770) 623-9626

Domindart

Post by Domindart » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:23 pm

sounds great!

Bayjove

Post by Bayjove » Tue May 15, 2012 3:19 pm

So, it's occurred to me that meeting at an IHOP on a Sunday at 1PM is probably not the wisest of things considering that's smack dab in lunch rush and after church lets out.

Is anyone familiar with the Gwinnett Mall area? Is there anything near there like a park or something where we could meet instead?

Thanks for any suggestions. We're sticking with the time and date but we may need to change the location...just a heads up!

Cavediver

Post by Cavediver » Tue May 15, 2012 3:41 pm

You could try Shorty Howell Park, just a mile or two north of the mall.

http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/portal/gw ... HowellPark

Check the rules before you decide :wink:

I'm probably going to be working (my office is in Tucker), but maybe I'll be able to sneak out for an hour or two.

Bayjove

Post by Bayjove » Wed May 16, 2012 2:49 pm

This looks perfect! Where would I find park rules? That website showed me pictures and directions along with amenities but not sure where park rules would be. Seems like if it's a public park we should be able to just meet up and settle in somewhere, right?

Cavediver

Post by Cavediver » Wed May 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Bayjove wrote:Seems like if it's a public park we should be able to just meet up and settle in somewhere, right?
I would assume so.
Related thought: I've never been to that park, so I don't know if there are pavilions or other group friendly spots (aside from wide-open spaces :lol: ). I'd recommend throwing a camp chair in the car if you want to sit. Folks may want to bring camp chairs, etc.

When mentioning the rules, I was thinking about firearms, knives, etc. AFAIK, you can carry firearms if you have a GFL, but I'm not sure what the Gwinnett County or City of Duluth rules are regarding knives. Then again, I'm not a lawyer, so check the rules for yourselves, yada yada yada.
General park rules
http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/portal/gw ... ancesRules
Specifics
http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/static/de ... 032012.pdf

Bayjove

Post by Bayjove » Wed May 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Ah, OK. Yeah, we just won't bring firearms in case it's not allowed (there are playgrounds and such). About to update the meeting location. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bayjove

Post by Bayjove » Wed May 16, 2012 5:16 pm

OK folks, we've changed the location for the meeting. Please see original post for address and details. And this is an open meeting so feel free to bring your friends!

Here's the Facebook event page

Trekker04

Next Meeting May 27

Post by Trekker04 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:11 am

I'll be there!
I'm gonna probably scout the place out early, see how it's set up, maybe find a place with a grill ;) then we can burn hotdogs and burgers and feed the hungry minions- I mean members...

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rp0j3z" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

van
Favorite Zombie Movies: Reanimator series, Evil Dead 2 , Dead Alive, Return of the living dead 1&2, Night of the living dead

Post by van » Sun May 20, 2012 4:17 pm

I will be there with some potential new members
Fuck it..I like to party !

rocketmike

Post by rocketmike » Tue May 22, 2012 8:27 pm

I won't be there...backpacking all weekend
Mike

Cavediver

Post by Cavediver » Fri May 25, 2012 8:29 am

Bummer. My wife and I have to attend a funeral on Sunday, so it looks like I won't be there. Y'all have fun, learn some stuff, and try not to burn the burgers :lol:

Bayjove

Post by Bayjove » Sat May 26, 2012 8:55 pm

For those of you coming, if you get lost or have any questions please send me a PM here on the boards. I will be checking in periodically tomorrow to be able to help folks find us.

Hope to see you tomorrow!

Bayjove

Post by Bayjove » Tue May 29, 2012 4:57 pm

We had a great turnout at the meeting! Thanks to all who came out; it was great meeting all of you.

Just FYI some pictures from the meeting have been posted on the FB page. I will have them up on the website probably tomorrow for those not on FB.

Also soon I will post recap notes from the meeting so those who couldn't make it can read what we discussed. We covered a lot of ground but I will try to keep it concise (I know I get long-winded, lol). We're in busy mode this week getting ready for the big event on Sunday so I may not be able to post the notes before next week. But I will try!

Bayjove

Post by Bayjove » Thu May 31, 2012 1:11 pm

Recap of meeting (sorry it's brief!)

1) Monster Bash: We're going to have a table with literature and merchandise at the Monster Bash at Starlight Drive-In all day Sunday, June 3. We will have t-shirts, stickers, patches, and even some of the limited edition belt buckles for sale! We are also collecting money to benefit the Mitt Lenix Memorial Fund.

2) DragonCon: It's coming up fast! We need people in tactical gear or even ZS shirts etc. to participate in the Zombie Walk, which Zombie Squad co-hosts. We're really hoping to have a good showing at DragonCon so I encourage our members to come out! Also, we are scheduling a meet and greet dinner for our chapter members and the entourage of the founding St. Louis chapter. This will be a blast!

3) Other future events/stuff: Some activities were proposed and some are being worked on. These include: Little 5 Points Halloween Parade, a zombie flash mob, zombie-themed car wash, a charitable shooting range event, the zombie shoot in Dahlonega around Halloween, and some activities with Atlanta Zombie Apocalypse. We welcome any creative ideas for events or meetings.

4) Nelson spoke a bit about the Appleseed events. He would be more qualified to discuss that here.

5) Money: We need it! Currently all expenses for literature, merchandise, advertising, and any incidentals are being paid for by officers and we are tapped. We have so many ideas but very few can happen without some sort of treasury. We would welcome any donations anyone would like to make towards our operating expenses. As you may know, Zombie Squad is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, which does mean that donations made are tax-deductible. HOWEVER - and please note this because it's a biggy - we are not yet equipped to accept donations for tax-deduction purposes. It is my understanding that HQ is still waiting for our tax ID number and once that happens we will need to get some financial things in place at the chapter level to make this happen. So for now, if you want to make a donation, we can't give you a receipt for taxes but we MAY be able to sometime this year. I just want to be transparent about it!

6) Chapter specific merchandise: We have a design in mind for local t-shirts but don't have the graphic design expertise to make it happen. There is a shirt floating around that is Atlanta-specific that has been sold by HQ at DragonCon for the past couple of years and we are working on getting those down here before the next Con but we also would welcome any graphic designers who want to help us out. Also, see #5 about getting anything printed, be it stickers, t-shirts, or whatever that is chapter specific. If we can make merch to sell we can make money but we need money to get it started. Fun, huh?

7) Uniforms: We haven't abandoned the idea of uniforms and we are getting closer to deciding on the clothing items but aside from #5, we have been busy preparing for some events and also want to see if there is any actual interest in such a thing among members. This is something that we're working on, however, and we'll give updates as we have them.

8) Hamfest: There is a ham radio convention (?) coming up this weekend from 8 AM to 3 PM. Check the website for details https://www.facebook.com/events/367622083268851/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

9) Next meeting: Our next meeting will be in June (probably the latter part) at Manuel's Tavern in Atlanta. We will get together for lunch and a show and tell of bug out bags (don't worry if you don't have one) and then we will bug out! We'll walk with our bags a mile out, following our maps, and then come back. Dress appropriately for the weather, whatever that may be. I'll give you the date and time soon!

10) Facebook: We're waiting to find out if we can set up a group page for our chapter on Facebook. Some members don't really visit the forums so we want to make it as easy as possible for people to communicate with each other in multiple venues. I'll let you know if/when we get a group set up.

I think that covers it. Twelve of us hung out for 3 hours and we chatted a lot so hopefully I got all of the main topics. We hope to see you at our next meeting!

Bayjove

Post by Bayjove » Thu May 31, 2012 4:34 pm

Pictures from the meeting are now up on the website.

Return to “ZSC:016”