Hunting help

Forum for West Texas members

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 013 Officers

grevengrevs

Hunting help

Post by grevengrevs » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:50 am

Ok, here's a dumb question but what the hell.

How did you learn to hunt? I ask because well, I never hunted before. We grew up fishing and yeah we would take the gun out from time to time to shoot rabbit and dove but I never learned how to hunt deer and such. And now, well I want to learn.

So the question, for those of you who are first generation hunters (didnt learn from dad) how did you go about it?
Got a plan?

painless

Re: Hunting help

Post by painless » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:58 pm

Like you, I grew up fishing and rabbit/bird hunting. But I never hunted deer or other large game 'till I moved to Colorado for a few years. Basically I taught myself. Spent a lot of time in the woods watching wildlife and learning their patterns and habits. Read several books on hunting and hunting stories. And went hunting with a couple of friends at different times. Very enjoyable process.
Old enough to know better….too stupid to keep my mouth shut about it.

grevengrevs

Post by grevengrevs » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:09 pm

Finding some friends here to hunt with is my #1 option. A little hard to do since I just moved here a month ago.
Got a plan?

dkhoward

Post by dkhoward » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:28 pm

Best advice I have seen here is "do it with a friend". Most true hunters would relish the idea of introducing and mentoring someone new into the sport. Time spent in the outdoors is priceless. Time spent in the outdoors with family and friends is even more so. Some of the best memories I have is the time I spent with my dad learning to shoot and hunt. I hope that my daughter and sons say the same about me. I am now looking forward to passing the knowledge and skills down to my grandsons. Teaching is as much a part of being a good sportsman as is the hunt. These are skills that translate far beyond the small time we get to spend in the field. These are lessons that we carry throughout and in every part of our lives. Respect, patience, compassion are all parts of the hunting experience.
Zombie Fleet #0124

"Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government entity!"

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:013”