Forum for West Texas members

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 013 Officers

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, resident evil

Wintergeddon!

Post by GunsUp » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:46 am

Ok ZSC:013 is hosting a day hike and winter camp-out in Caprock Canyons State Park on Feb 6th. I wanted to have it in early January but scheduling prevented that.

The current plan is to meet out at the canyon around 9AM on Saturday. We will spend an hour or to to set up camp and then take off one of the numerous hiking trails. Eat lunch on the trail then continue to hike a few more hours returning to camp around 4PM before it gets dark. Sigboy and I will be cooking a complimentary campfire dinner. The next day we will pack up our gear and maybe hike around till noon, pack up and head home.

Everybody is invited to come out and participate as much or as little as you want to. If you want to hike, eat dinner and go home because you feel you are not equipped or prepared to spend the night in the cold you are quite welcome to do so. In fact, I'd prefer you do that than stay out all night poorly equipped and freeze to death. The camp is only ~20 yards from where we can park, so you can bring your car camping gear or backpacking gear, or hell sleep in your car if you need to.

If you live in Lubbock or want to drive to Lubbock, your quite welcome to carpool with me, we can meet up and have breakfast before we head out. Hell if you just want to meet up for breakfast and not go out you can do that too.

Please reply if you want to participate in all or part of this event. The date is very slightly flexible if Jan 30th or Feb 13th makes a difference to you speak up quick, if there is enough support we can move it (maybe).

the_caged_bird

Re: Wintergeddon!

Post by the_caged_bird » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:14 pm

The girlfriend and I are down, we'll probably head back to her place there in Lubbock to spend the night but we'll participate in everything else as long as her knee will allow.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:00 am

I will be at Caprock Canyon around 11 am. Once I get my camp set up, much merry making will commence. I need some feedback on the dutch oven, Venison chili or Rabbit stew?
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by GunsUp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:22 pm

I'm down for either, but I guess I'd have to go for the venison chili.

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:12 pm

I see we have our first vote, do we need a poll to keep up with all this action?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

the_caged_bird

Post by the_caged_bird » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:22 am

Either sounds REALLY good, I wanna vote for the chili but my girl is a real sissy when it comes to spicy stuff so she'd want the stew. She's on a strict diet anyway so she might not eat either.

I'm down for both, but leaning towards the chili.

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:33 pm

This is going to be so much fun! BTW, 3-6 inches more snow in Amarillo tonight!

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:12 am

Weather looks good. http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... y=Saturday

I'm packed and ready to go, the chili stuff is on the counter.

Do we have a headcount?

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by GunsUp » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:31 am

I PM'd cagedbird for a confirmation from him. It looks like matt is coming also, so not a huge turn out but it should still be fun.

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:46 am

Awesome. I'm just glad we are getting some sort of turn out.

kind of a derail, but I think we should see if we can organize a trip to do all (or part) of the Caprock Canyon Trailway. I will have info tomorrow, we can see if there is interest.

Btw, what was the planned arrival time? I am figuring 11-1130 unless we have other plans.

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by GunsUp » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:19 pm

sounds like a great arrival time to me, I'll try and be there a bit earlier most likely. Shoot me a call when you get close.

the_caged_bird

Post by the_caged_bird » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:15 am

A few questions:

1.) Will anyone be bringing a firearm? I'm not familiar with the location and I don't know whether it's legal or not (or needed).

2.) We're planning on bringing our heelers, will any of you be bringing your dogs or are dogs allowed?

3.) Where exactly is this place?

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by GunsUp » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:26 am

Glad to hear from you, hope to see you guys out tomorrow!

short answer: CHL yes, all others no. It is a state park, CHL's are allowed, but all other loaded firearms are prohibited unless participating in a sanctioned hunting event (we are not). I think you can bring unloaded guns, but I probably wouldn't.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The most simple directions is to take I-27 north out of Lubbock to Tulia and take HWY 86 east to quitaque. I PM'd my phone number to you, call me so we can find each other inside the park.

Directions: The park is 3.5 miles north of State Highway 86 in Quitaque on FM 1065.
Latitude (degrees, minutes, seconds) N: °34 '24 48.31" Longitude (degrees, minutes, second) W: °101 '03 32.54"

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/find ... k_canyons/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

----------------------------------------------------------------------
nobody else is bringing dogs, but you are quite welcome to (but I will get in trouble for cheating when I get home if you do). Just so you know, here are the laws regarding pets in state parks.

Pets. It is an offense for any person to:
(A) bring into, possess, or permit to roam within a state park a pet, unless the pet is secured by a leash not exceeding six feet in length, confined in a vehicle, or confined in a suitable cage;
(B) bring into or possess within a state park an unattended pet;
(C) fail to immediately collect and properly dispose of fecal material deposited by a pet for which a person is responsible. For purposes of this paragraph, “properly dispose” means to deposit fecal material in an appropriate solid waste collection container;
(D) bring a pet into an area where pets are prohibited;
(E) permit a pet (except a trained assistance animal accompanying a person with a disability) to enter into or remain in any building or enclosure designated for public use including, but not limited to, a restaurant, snack bar, cabin, lodge room, restroom, park store, shelter, refectory building, amphitheater, administration building, or railroad coach;
(F) permit a pet in the water of a designated swimming area or to permit a pet animal (except a trained assistance animal accompanying a person with a disability) within the land or beach area adjacent to the water of a designated swimming area; or
(G) possess a noisy, vicious, or dangerous pet, or a pet which creates a disturbance to or hazard within a state park;

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by GunsUp » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:13 am

OK I'm going AFK now, call me if you have a question.

the_caged_bird

Post by the_caged_bird » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:27 am

Whoa, I thought we were going to be in the Lubbock area, not Quitaque. I guess we'll catch y'all some other time, sorry.

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by GunsUp » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:53 pm

Sorry, I figured you knew were it was initially.

There really isn't any decent hiking in Lubbock, and no isolated camping spots.

Sorry we missed you, only two of us ended up showing but it was still a good time. We set up camp, hiked 9 miles, came back and had some awesome chili and cornbread. Woke up in the morning, broke camp and hiked another 4 miles. Good time overall.

Pictures soon.

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Just a teaser

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:41 am

AAR:
We had planned for a Saturday morning arrival, the original number of us was to be five. One last minute cancellation and two who didn't want to actually leave the
city limits left us with two, and we both arrived at the park at about 12:30. I had planned on making Venison Chili in a Dutch Oven over an open fire. Unfortunately, I forgot the Venison and had to stop at the small town grocery store in Quitaque (Kitty-Qwai) to pick up some stew meat. They did not have exactly what I wanted, but, in typical small town style, the butcher cut up exactly what I wanted. This led to my fashionably late arrival at Caprock Canyon State Park.

We drove down to our campsite and had our choice of appx 20 campsites to choose from; I would say that we did a very good job choosing the least muddy option. The fine red powdery caliche that forms most of the Palo Duro Canyon are and escarpment is some of the stickiest stuff I have ever see, and it can get everywhere when it is wet, not to mention reducing your friction coefficient to something approaching a Banana peel on a waxed floor. We dragged our bags out and pitched our tents. Every tarp that we had was put to use trying to protect equipment from the mud. I am glad to say that we were moderately successful at this.
With camp done, It was about 2pm and a small hike was in order, we planned a decent six mile hike and headed up the trail along the canyon wall. The weather was nice, about 35 degrees, clear skies and little or no wind. We departed with our small packs with a spring in our step, happy to be enjoying the outdoors. The recent snow and rain storms had not been kind to the trail. The erosion had washed the trail away in a few places, and made some of the switchbacks somewhat treacherous. Due to this we could not locate the second trail we needed and had to take the next trail. Now our hike was looking to be about 7.5 miles. It was no big issue, we had plenty of time, all that we had to do when we got to camp was start a fire and cook the chili. Of course, fate had to intervene yet again, and a unmarked trail, combined with a shitty map led us another mile out of our way. By the time we realized our error, the sun was dipping low into the sky. The terrain would not support an 'as the crow flies' path back to camp, so we hoofed it back up the trail and made it back to camp as the light was fading.
Look at GunsUp, doesn't he look like he is having fun?
This is a slippery slope

More pics and part two later.

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Mr.Pliskin

Post by Mr.Pliskin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:22 am

Does the phrase "cold as balls" apply to this campout?

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by GunsUp » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:26 pm

The only time I was really cold is when we were hanging around camp after dinner and first thing in the morning. It was pretty comfortable on the hikes and my new tent and sleeping bag held up great (except cold spots on the ground, I need a new pad).

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by GunsUp » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:20 am

Some camp pics:

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:13 am

The sky was clear and the stars shone brightly into the canyon. The red canyon walls were mere shadows against the starlit canvas of night. The fire had burned down to embers, occasionally flaring red with anger at a slight gust of wind. Orion hung low in the southern sky, a vivid reminder that others had come to this canyon long before me, if only he would share their secrets. Perhaps the knowledge would be to much for me, after all I generally learned all of my lessons the hard way. But, buried deep in my sub-conscious is the knowledge is that there is very little about life that I could not learn out here, beneath the stars.

We adjourned to our respective tents, cold sleeping bags awaited us, begging to be warmed by the heat of our bodies. I laid there, allowing my body to ease into the natural contours of the ground. The warmth of my down sleeping bag pulled me into a deep sleep. As dawn broke, I found myself curled deep in my bag. A strange sound assailed my ears, it was almost like the sound of a light drizzle, only more menacing. My comrade whispered from his tent, "Is it raining?"

"I don't think so", I replied. I wasn't sure what the noise was. Further investigation showed it to be sheets of ice forming on everything. This also included my muddy boots that I left outside my tent after a midnight run thru the mesquite. Luckily, the fire was there to dry them out.

As the sun rose, our strange fog filled and ice covered world became visible, overnight a thick blanketing fog had descended onto the Texas Panhandle and was hovering above our heads. All hopes of letting the sun come out and drying my tent were long gone. I would be packing it up wet and drying it at home. Mrs. Sigboy was going to love this.
We ate breakfast (where I discovered that my friend was a pie loving traitor) and broke camp. All that was left was one little four mile hike and Wintergeddon '10 would come to an end. The hike went with out incident, other than more mud and snow, and the freezing mist that hung in the air. My drive home was slowed considerably by the thick fog that only became thicker as I drove out of the canyon and pointed the truck towards home. My final thought as I returned home was that I was able to escape the cares of modern society, if only for a bit.

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:013”