Slightly Older Firearms Owner Shot By Police

Discussion forum for the United Kingdom ZS chapter

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Slightly Older Firearms Owner Shot By Police

Post by Brash » Sat May 09, 2009 7:01 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/8041596.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sad story with a sad ending. :(

TC

Re: Eldrly Firearms Owner Shot By Police

Post by TC » Sat May 09, 2009 5:33 pm

Yeah, I always feel bad about elderly people ending up being forced into care homes. I can't excuse the old chap's actions, but I can see how he felt pushed to the end he was. What's worse is that now his wife really is going to be worse off, much worse than she would have been otherwise.

It's also not too great that it was a legal gun, although my concerns about that take a back seat in this case.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

Nexy

Post by Nexy » Sat May 09, 2009 6:24 pm

My sympathies to their friends and family. :(
ZSC:010- UK Chapter

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Sat May 09, 2009 6:38 pm

My sympathies to the family. Brash, will you post any further reports on the investigation as they are available? The linked article does not say whether he was an immediate threat to anyone, whether he had hostages, or what sort of negotiations were attempted.

Also, I don't think of people in their sixties as necessarily elderly. On their way for sure, but not there yet.
Mostly not here anymore.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun May 10, 2009 2:05 am

dogbane wrote:My sympathies to the family. Brash, will you post any further reports on the investigation as they are available? The linked article does not say whether he was an immediate threat to anyone, whether he had hostages, or what sort of negotiations were attempted.
Here's the original story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/8040759.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Sun May 10, 2009 5:34 am

dogbane wrote: Also, I don't think of people in their sixties as necessarily elderly. On their way for sure, but not there yet.
I still act like I'm 16 years old so anyone over 30 is ancient. Even though I'm there myself in five years. :lol:

I'll fix the title in a second. :D

LilDaemon
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, 28 Weeks, Resident Evil movies, Shaun of the Dead

Post by LilDaemon » Sun May 10, 2009 9:33 am

Brash wrote:
I still act like I'm 16 years old so anyone over 30 is ancient. Even though I'm there myself in five years. :lol:
Good call on the cutoff age, or I'd have to beat you with my walker. :D

and LOL @ "slightly older" :lol:
We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
Do not compute the totality of your poultry population until all the manifestations of incubation have been entirely completed. - William Jennings Bryan

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Re: Slightly Older Firearms Owner Shot By Police

Post by dogbane » Sun May 10, 2009 9:36 am

:lol: I'll be 42 in July. Except for the greatly expanded volumes of wisdom and a few creaky joints, it's just like being 25. :wink:

The older you get, the less elderly people older than you seem. My parents are both 66. My mom is more active than ever and my dad, though his body is breaking down, has entered an amazingly creative and productive stage in his life. But then I know people in their 40s who seem to have jumpred right on into the elderly phase as if their lives are over. It's all in your head, I guess.
Mostly not here anymore.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon May 11, 2009 2:47 pm

dogbane wrote:My sympathies to the family. Brash, will you post any further reports on the investigation as they are available?
More on the shooting:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8044232.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BBC wrote:Bullet 'found in officer's vest'

Investigators probing the fatal shooting of a man by police in Sussex have found a bullet in a firearms officer's protective vest. The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) began an inquiry after Mervyn Tussler, 64, was shot at retirement homes in Fernhurst.

The bullet in the vest would not have come from a police gun, the IPCC said. It said the bullet probably came from a Colt handgun found at the scene that had been fired four times.

In a statement, the IPCC formally identified Mr Tussler and said his death on Friday was from a bullet fired from a police weapon. A post-mortem examination on Saturday found he had a single gunshot wound to his torso, the IPCC added.

The IPCC said further tests were being carried out on the bullet that killed Mr Tussler, the Colt handgun - which was not a police weapon - and the bullet that was found in the vest. The bullet recovered from the vest was not a type used by police and would not have come from a police weapon, it added.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Cyborg
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, obviously.

Post by Cyborg » Mon May 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Hmm might have been a pre 1913 handgun.
Strategic Intelligence Officer
UK Chapter.
ZS:X

TC

Post by TC » Mon May 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Cyborg wrote:Hmm might have been a pre 1913 handgun.
Not my area of expertise, but could it have been a long barreled revolver too? Not sure if they are readily available on the LBR scene in the UK though. Either way, doesn't do many favours for those still trying to get on with pistol shooting in the UK. Having said that, since only the shooter died, it's not really outrageous enough for any more restrictions.

Still it's a bugger for all involved.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

jimbawb

Post by jimbawb » Mon May 11, 2009 4:07 pm

The original BBC article puts the guy as being a member of Headley Park Pistol and Rifle club, they shoot both the Western Action and Historic pistol disciplines so its entirely possible that he used a Black Powder pistol.

http://www.headleyparkrpc.co.uk/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”