Discussion forum for the United Kingdom ZS chapter

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

UK Swine Flu Thread

Post by the_alias » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Well its made UK landfall, maybe...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 019536.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just a thread we can monitor and share preps/experiences and talk about it from a purely UK perspective!
Man is a beast of prey

Cyborg
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, obviously.

Re: UK Swine Flu Thread

Post by Cyborg » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:51 pm

The location is right near Mainer, so we have our own on scene reporter.

Chat is a good place to get info about this guy, those of you who don't use ZS chat it might be worth taking a look at it.
Strategic Intelligence Officer
UK Chapter.
ZS:X

Mole

Post by Mole » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:58 pm

This report has an interesting point:
Neither of the people involved had travelled in areas affected by swine flu outbreaks.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 019544.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not worried... yet.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:01 pm

Chat is like information hub central at times for sure.

Mole;
That is a good point, we need to bear in mind that they may have come into contact with people who had though. There is no reason to be worried just yet I agree. It appears to be able to be fought with tamiflu so far!

Course time is our friend and enemy. Longer it goes on more info we get, better picture. Course 24/hr news will exaggerate and play on fears!
Man is a beast of prey

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:04 pm

24-hour news is a right bugger for stress!

I'll report from work (NHS) tomorrow if our infection control team have anything interesting to say, but I expect it'll be "Keep calm and carry on - and wash your hands."
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

Greg Mainer
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later
Of the Dead series
Flight of the Dead
Zombie Diaries

Post by Greg Mainer » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:15 pm

andygates wrote:24-hour news is a right bugger for stress!

I'll report from work (NHS) tomorrow if our infection control team have anything interesting to say, but I expect it'll be "Keep calm and carry on - and wash your hands."
I can also report tomorrow as my mother works at Northampton General Hospital which is right near Stanwick, it'll also be all over my local radio station as I'm in Wellingborough itself.

Brit-ZedHunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Diary of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Res evil movies

Post by Brit-ZedHunter » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:35 pm

I feel like a bit of a tinfoil hatter for saying this but:

http://www.bird-flu-supplies.co.uk/face-masks.htm

They have 10 x N95 masks for a tenner.

I feel even more like a nut job for saying i bought some. But whatever, I will be the one laughing when you all have pig aids.
-Brit-ZedHunter
ZSC:010 Member

TC

Post by TC » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:46 am

andygates wrote:24-hour news is a right bugger for stress!
Tell me about it! I stayed up all night writing a paper for university, with News 24 on all night and getting more and more hopped up on coffee to the point that by the time I finished working at 7am I no doubt looked like all sorts of super fast typing, pandemic concerned weirdness twitching around on the sofa...
Brit-ZedHunter wrote:I feel like a bit of a tinfoil hatter for saying this but:

http://www.bird-flu-supplies.co.uk/face-masks.htm

They have 10 x N95 masks for a tenner.

I feel even more like a nut job for saying i bought some. But whatever, I will be the one laughing when you all have pig aids.
Chances are that you'll need more than ten. Woman on the BBC said that they're useless once they get wet from your breath and that they need frequent replacement.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

Aeon

Post by Aeon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:18 am

Does anyone see a striking paranoid similiarity to the plot of the latest bbc Survivors series?

Greg Mainer
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later
Of the Dead series
Flight of the Dead
Zombie Diaries

Post by Greg Mainer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:41 pm

Just watched ITV News, suspected case near me has been cleared however there are now two confirmed cases in Scotland.

TC

Post by TC » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:25 pm

Posted this in anoth thread, but might help to have it here too:

Do N95 respirators provide 95% protection level against airborne viruses, and how adequate are surgical masks?

Maybe an interesting article to check before putting too much faith in masks. Here's the summary:
AJIC wrote: Background: Respiratory protection devices are used to protect the wearers from inhaling particles suspended in the air. Filtering
face piece respirators are usually tested utilizing nonbiologic particles, whereas their use often aims at reducing exposure to
biologic aerosols, including infectious agents such as viruses and bacteria.

Methods: The performance of 2 types of N95 half-mask, filtering face piece respirators and 2 types of surgical masks were deter-
mined. The collection efficiency of these respiratory protection devices was investigated using MS2 virus (a nonharmful simulant
of several pathogens). The virions were detected in the particle size range of 10 to 80 nm.

Results: The results indicate that the penetration of virions through the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
(NIOSH)-certified N95 respirators can exceed an expected level of 5%. As anticipated, the tested surgical masks showed a much
higher particle penetration because they are known to be less efficient than the N95 respirators. The 2 surgical masks, which
originated from the same manufacturer, showed tremendously different penetration levels of the MS2 virions: 20.5% and
84.5%, respectively, at an inhalation flow rate of 85 L/min.

Conclusion: The N95 filtering face piece respirators may not provide the expected protection level against small virions. Some
surgical masks may let a significant fraction of airborne viruses penetrate through their filters, providing very low protection
against aerosolized infectious agents in the size range of 10 to 80 nm. It should be noted that the surgical masks are primarily
designed to protect the environment from the wearer, whereas the respirators are supposed to protect the wearer from the
environment.

Still, I'll go to the paint shop round the corner tomorrow and get some masks and disposable gloves just in case! Trust this to arrive in the UK on a bloody bank holiday!
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.

Cyborg
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, obviously.

Post by Cyborg » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:34 pm

Bank holiday when?
Strategic Intelligence Officer
UK Chapter.
ZS:X

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:43 pm

Our masks are usually catagorised as FFP2 (which is about the same as an N95) or FFP3 (which would be about N99)
So if you have the choice, go for FFP3. I snagged 20 off eBay for about £17 - They are the disposable, one use paper type, possibly these ones. I'd buy some quickish before people start upping thier prices.

Does anyone know if the military S10 respirator work or not?

TC

Post by TC » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:44 pm

Cyborg wrote:Bank holiday when?
I'm an idiot. Got it confused with next week and being a student means I never benefit from them anyway, so i didn't really question it. Silly me. Still, there are a lot of shops shut today for some reason, at least near me...

Big and Daft wrote: Does anyone know if the military S10 respirator work or not?

Dunno, but I'm not going to be breaking mine out for this unless there are people dying in the street, it's just going to cause me hassle if I do!

andygates

Post by andygates » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:15 pm

Got my pack of FFP3's on order - they were on the shopping list anyway, not jittery impulse-shopping at all, right? ;)

Nothing to report from inside the NHS. The standing pandemic preps continue to be in effect (they were drawn up over the last few years as a preparation for bird flu; manbearpig flu won't change anything much). Gallows humour is spinning up to speed.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

Mole

Post by Mole » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:44 pm

Greg Mainer wrote:Just watched ITV News, suspected case near me has been cleared however there are now two confirmed cases in Scotland.
Yep, just seen that on Sky News.

If I was the panicking type I might be thinking about worrying...

TC

Post by TC » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:59 pm

Mole wrote:
Greg Mainer wrote:Just watched ITV News, suspected case near me has been cleared however there are now two confirmed cases in Scotland.
Yep, just seen that on Sky News.

If I was the panicking type I might be thinking about worrying...
I'm getting my stuff in order so that if I decide to take an impromptu holiday away from London to my hometown I can. Problem is that university exams are almost at the door. What crappy timing.

For now I'm just paying close attention. I'll worry when someone dies in a developed country.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:14 am

TC wrote:
Big and Daft wrote:Does anyone know if the military S10 respirator work or not?
Dunno, but I'm not going to be breaking mine out for this unless there are people dying in the street, it's just going to cause me hassle if I do!
It should do, provided it fits correctly and you've got a suitable particulate filter (an issue one, or an open-market P3 filter with the correct 40mm threads).
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

That hurts stop biting me

Post by That hurts stop biting me » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:46 pm

I will only really start to worry when there are confirmed deaths over here and there are deaths in the street. Doesnt help my paranoia that the end is near when i get woken up this morning by an earthquake...

andygates

Post by andygates » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:24 pm

To be honest, the National Preps look pretty good. 30 million courses of tamiflu, so even absolutely everyone was infected, that's still enough for the really sick half -- and so far, the CFR for Manbearpig Flu looks like no more than 10%. That leaves a fair cushion of supplies to allow for stuff being sent to the wrong depot, stolen, rioted all over, whatever.

I'm staying put (unless the CFR goes mental). I'd rather get sick here, at home with my comfort (mmm, Jeremy Kyle and internet pr0n) and preps (chicken soup!) and GP. If it goes properly *pan*demic then there's no avoiding it unless you hit rural hermit mode.

If it goes bad with a cytokine-storm kind of nastiness, time is of the essence - I wouldn't think it wise to bug out without antivirals (where does a brit get hold of antivirals?). The extra time taken in dicking around could be significant.

TC

Post by TC » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:46 pm

andygates wrote:To be honest, the National Preps look pretty good. 30 million courses of tamiflu, so even absolutely everyone was infected, that's still enough for the really sick half -- and so far, the CFR for Manbearpig Flu looks like no more than 10%. That leaves a fair cushion of supplies to allow for stuff being sent to the wrong depot, stolen, rioted all over, whatever.
There was a guy in North London on the BBC though who had been to mexico and gone down ill who phoned NHS direct who just told him to stay home but still haven't delivered the drugs to him... I'm not saying that this is the case, but the drugs aren't much good if they are all in a warehouse and can't be quickly deployed.

Also, I got a sinking feeling when Gordo said that Britain is one of the best prepared countries in the world for this. I feel like I've heard that said before, many, many times when we were getting into this financial unpleasantness and it's pretty clear how well that's been working out. I try not to get political on ZS, but hearing that pull string toy phrase with only a few words changed seriously concerned me. I still think that even if things were thoroughly ballsed up, we'd never know about it until we found out for ourselves the hard way.
andygates wrote:If it goes properly *pan*demic then there's no avoiding it unless you hit rural hermit mode.
Which is actually what I am planning on doing if it gets bad. Even then, I'm still not sure that it would be particularly easy.

Urban Fox

Post by Urban Fox » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:58 pm

Certain pharmacyies offer it online, expect at least £25 per course as you want 70/75mg twice daily. This lot dosen't seem too fussed about who they sell to though I have seen a few pharmacyies.

https://www.thechemist.co.uk/shoppingcart.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Seem that it may work, otherwise you could dig up the thread for antibiotics.

Edited for inaproppriate content, see below for details,
Last edited by Urban Fox on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urban Fox

Post by Urban Fox » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:13 pm

TC wrote: Also, I got a sinking feeling when Gordo said that Britain is one of the best prepared countries in the world for this. I feel like I've heard that said before, many, many times when we were getting into this financial unpleasantness and it's pretty clear how well that's been working out. I try not to get political on ZS, but hearing that pull string toy phrase with only a few words changed seriously concerned me. I still think that even if things were thoroughly ballsed up, we'd never know about it until we found out for ourselves the hard way.

I'd bet that they get it out very efficiently.... to the ministers and their families, shortly followed by those required for population “calming” Based upon the fact that the apparant worst hit areas are 18-30 I'd expect people to be unhappy at the problems and shortages associated.

/Cynic
Last edited by Urban Fox on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aeon

Post by Aeon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:15 pm

Urban Fox wrote:Certain pharmacyies offer it online, expect at least £25 per course as you want 70/75mg twice daily. This lot dosen't seem too fussed about who they sell to though I have seen a few pharmacyies.

https://www.thechemist.co.uk/shoppingcart.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
http://www.expresschemist.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (if your liberal with the truth)

These both seem that they may work, otherwise you could dig up the thread for antibiotics.
I'm going to pretend you didn't just suggest lieing to pharmacutical companies in order to obtain prescription only drugs.
ZS Rules wrote:1.) No discussion of illegal activities as a viable option.
We do not condone murder or theft or explosives so we do not appreciate them being promoted on our boards. Other illicit activities are also verboten, but these are the ones most often brought up.
I'm gonna go ahead and give you warning for it and referr you to the rules section. ZS Forum Rules

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”