What I did on my Easter Hols

Discussion forum for the United Kingdom ZS chapter

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

K9medic

What I did on my Easter Hols

Post by K9medic » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:45 pm

It’s sad to say that I’m defiantly getting older and in the last three years I seem to have inherited a family. What this of course means that while the idea of bugging out when the brown stuff starts to fly is fun it is fast not becoming the best first option, hence my plans to bug in. Therefore I have decided to post info as I gather it on my plans, I would welcome other people’s ideas & comments. I have taken some pictures of “work in progress” and will try to upload them tomorrow.

This means I have spent most of the Easter break working on my “Bunker”. Ok it’s the loft “she who should be obeyed” wants my office (the spare room) as an upstairs toilet (I don’t see what’s wrong with have a stroll down stairs to the toilet). On the upside means I can finally store all my gear together and have room to work on it.

I have made a full size loft hatch with a decent fold down ladder. Installed vellox windows in both sides of the roof, of set so not to sky light myself. Laid floor boards added extra insulation and started to panel the sides. I also had a power cable fitted.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

Brit-ZedHunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Diary of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Res evil movies

Re: What I did on my Easter Hols

Post by Brit-ZedHunter » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:56 am

That sounds really interesting. I look forward to seeing your pics.
-Brit-ZedHunter
ZSC:010 Member

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:45 am

Final managed to get a couple of pictures of the “Bunker”. Please remember this is a work in progress and I am not a talented builder. This first picture is from the loft ladder looking south,

I have installed windows in the East and West sides of the roof. Centre height is 6 feet 2 inches.

The second picture

Is looking north. I have already plaster boarded & painted this end, some of the box’s contain my gear, but I notice “she who must be obeyed” has been putting the Christmas decorations there as well.

I intend to put a work bench & shelves along the wood panelled end. After working up there this week I have noticed the insulation is working, even with both windows open, so I need to install a fan.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

Mole

Post by Mole » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:50 am

Looking good! If your loft is anything like ours it gets REALLY hot up there during the summer (and we have no insulation between the rafters) - those windows are going to come in handy.

Brit-ZedHunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Diary of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Res evil movies

Post by Brit-ZedHunter » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:11 am

That looks pretty good dude. I need to have a go at sorting out my loft at some point. I wouldnt know where to start though. I suck at anything like that.

What kind of boards did you put on the floor? Big squares of wood or like beams?
-Brit-ZedHunter

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:59 pm

Boarding the floor was the easy bit. I used packs of chip board flooring from B&Q. It’s designed for lofts, right size to go through the loft hatch and still fit centre to centre of the beams. Then screw them down. I didn’t put extra insulation under the boards in case I pushed the plaster off the ceiling.

The hardest bit was fitting the new loft access. I needed a decent ladder rather than one of those slide down aluminium ones. Was a little scary cutting through the Beam, but since the roof didn’t collapse I must have got it right.

Brit-ZedHunter

Post by Brit-ZedHunter » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Oh didnt know you could buy floor stuff like that. I'm going to take a look at it. My loft is quite big so I might just board out half of it and use it for a storage area or something.

Thanks for the tips :)
-Brit-ZedHunter

faerie9
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by faerie9 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:40 am

Ugh, yet another thing I have to organise for this place!!
Our loft is half-done, floor-wise. Those chipboard packs are great. I suck at DIY (read: I hate it and would rather work overtime and pay someone to do it for me!) and also apparently suck at being able to find anyone to do it for me too.
Our loft will be a great space once it's done.

K9 that looks awesome you've done a really good job.
Treasurer
UK Chapter
ZS:X

hague720
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn O the Dead

Post by hague720 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:48 pm

Make sure you stack them boxes over wall s below to give more chance of it spreading the load....

Last thing you want is to brained in the night by a load of supplies.... :wink:

early warning sign is the plaster - board nails poppin`

saw a plumber once who didnt shore up the new immersion tank in the attic......came back after filling up the next morning to find it two floors down !! :lol:

Looks a great Job there mate ...havent got an attic in this new house gggrrrrr!

Jealous now :mrgreen:
OPEN CHANNEL D MR SOLO...

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss64/thomas720/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ms-oldish-brit
Favorite Zombie Movies: Er - sorry - never watched one - they scare me too much (even worse than Dr Who!)

Post by Ms-oldish-brit » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:27 pm

K9medic wrote:It’s sad to say that I’m defiantly getting older
Nothing sad about defiantly getting older!

And I think it's win/win - upstairs loo and - hopefully - a bigger space for your stuff, and a bit more out of the way of your inherited family! :)
I love zombies - if I'm a decent level AD&D cleric!

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”