sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

British Summer Time

Post by sheddi » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:54 am

ZS:UK'ers,

if the forum's clock seems to be an hour out, chances are you haven't told it we've switched from GMT to BST (or "Daylight Savings Time" as the forum software so quaintly puts it).

How to do this:
- click on "User Control Panel" in the top-right of the forum window.
- choose "Board preferences" from the list of options on the right.
- under "Edit global settings", choose "Yes" for "Summer Time/DST is in effect:".

And that should be it until the autumn, when it all changes back again!
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

K9medic

Re: British Summer Time

Post by K9medic » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:35 am

we have a forum clock ???? :o
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

Ms-oldish-brit
Favorite Zombie Movies: Er - sorry - never watched one - they scare me too much (even worse than Dr Who!)

Post by Ms-oldish-brit » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:27 am

Yup, we have a forum clock (showing times of messages posted, current time etc. It's (UTC - 6 hours) by default - haven't quite worked out what UTC is, but have worked out that it's GMT (i.e., add 6 hours to the (UTC -6 hours) and it gives you GMT.). If you've set your time (in your User Control Panel, I think) when you log in it shows UK time.

No idea if UTC also has daylight saving changes?

Daylight saving was the term used many years ago in UK --- -I think I'm much older than you, Sheddi! :lol: Thanks for the heads-up.
I love zombies - if I'm a decent level AD&D cleric!

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:29 pm

Ms-oldish-brit wrote:Yup, we have a forum clock (showing times of messages posted, current time etc. It's (UTC - 6 hours) by default - haven't quite worked out what UTC is, but have worked out that it's GMT (i.e., add 6 hours to the (UTC -6 hours) and it gives you GMT.). If you've set your time (in your User Control Panel, I think) when you log in it shows UK time.

No idea if UTC also has daylight saving changes?
UTC is "Universal Coordinated Time" but in French. For all intents and purposes it's GMT but re-named to take account of the unfortunate fact that the globe is no longer pink ;)

"UTC - 6 hours" is the local time zone in Missouri, where ZS HQ is based and (presumably) this is why it's the forum's default time zone.

If you look in the same "board preferences" control panel where we're setting DST, you can also set you own personal time zone to "[UTC] Western European Time, Greenwich Mean Time".

You might like to set your language to "British English" while you're at it :lol:
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Ms-oldish-brit
Favorite Zombie Movies: Er - sorry - never watched one - they scare me too much (even worse than Dr Who!)

Post by Ms-oldish-brit » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:53 pm

Thanks for info re UTC, sheddi. Much appreciated.

Yes, I'm set to Brit English; I like the letter 'u' and double consonants! :lol:

ET expand
I love zombies - if I'm a decent level AD&D cleric!

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”