Is this a victory for common-sense?

Discussion forum for the United Kingdom ZS chapter

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

smiffy

Is this a victory for common-sense?

Post by smiffy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:08 am

Or am I making a one-swallow summer?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 889125.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gundown wrote:Remember when Zombie Squad was awesome?
VictoryGin - Doubleplusgood!
AGC ATG ATC TTC TTC TAC

Brit-ZedHunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Diary of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Res evil movies

Re: Is this a victory for common-sense?

Post by Brit-ZedHunter » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:48 am

smiffy wrote:Or am I making a one-swallow summer?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 889125.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very interesting. It sounds like a very extreme set of cirumstances and I suspect the homeowner would not have been do lucky if the intruder had not been a known nutcase. But still, a good outcome all round.
-Brit-ZedHunter
ZSC:010 Member

Cyborg
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, obviously.

Post by Cyborg » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:08 am

This does rather set a precedent doesn't it...
Strategic Intelligence Officer
UK Chapter.
ZS:X

Brit-ZedHunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Diary of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Res evil movies

Post by Brit-ZedHunter » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:17 am

Cyborg wrote:This does rather set a precedent doesn't it...
Next time some asshat comes to my door asking me to change energy provider I'm going to test how much of a precedent.... :lol:
-Brit-ZedHunter
ZSC:010 Member

TC

Post by TC » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:03 pm

Already heard about this one over at arfcom. It's a good turn out, but it should never have gone to court even if the guy had deliberately given the intruder both barrels.

Let's look at it from this point of view. His fiancee was downstairs and a big nasty man who claimed to be armed was trying to get in to do them harm. If he had failed to stop the attack, there is no telling what would have been done to him and his fiancee. He only had one chance to stop the attack and he took it. If he had failed they could have all been killed.

This bit really got my back up:
The Times wrote: Detective Chief Inspector Mick Atkinson, the senior investigating officer, said: “We worked closely with the Crown Prosecution Service to bring this case before the court as it was believed it was one a jury should decide upon.”

He added: “We would urge anyone who feels under threat in a situation like this one to contact police at the earliest opportunity and not take the law into their own hands.”

Following the verdict, Judge Jeremy Carey said: “No-one should draw any conclusions of a general kind on this case. This defendant has been acquitted of the charge of murder, each case depends upon its own merits."
Not take the law into their own hands!? First of all, that implies that the law is theirs, not ours. WRONG. Secondly, had the police arrived by the time where dickwad was smashing through the window? NO! What good could the police do?

It's all well and good that he got off, but it still just goes to highlight the deficiencies in British law...
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

LilDaemon
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, 28 Weeks, Resident Evil movies, Shaun of the Dead

Post by LilDaemon » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:22 pm

I think he responded appropriately and well. I would think that the disclaimer is more for dodging future litigation than actually telling people not to defend themselves, although the fact that the police have to cover their behinds with such a statement is also a testament to the sadness.
We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
Do not compute the totality of your poultry population until all the manifestations of incubation have been entirely completed. - William Jennings Bryan

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”